Jump to ratings and reviews

Stay With Me

It has been weeks since Curtis first saw the young waiter with the haunted eyes. No matter how often he went to the café watching him and to find the right opportunity to introduce himself, that moment simply did not come. Joseph was aware of the gentle giant who quietly came to have his lunch and then left. Fearing his father’s wrath and under his ever watchful eyes, he made no moves nor overtures. Until one day…

96 pages, Kindle Edition

5 books229 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
14 (7%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 45 reviews
Read
May 18, 2015
I had a very hard time with this story.

It was ALL telling, no showing at all. The internal monologue of both MCs was stunted, and the conversations rather awkward. Much of the phrasing was redundant.

I appreciate that the MCs weren't perfect. Curtis is overweight and a bank teller. Joseph is being physically and emotionally abused by his overbearing father who controls every aspect of his life.

I wanted to see the theme of comfort and abuse explored further.

I liked Joseph's tentative flirting, his yearning for space to breathe. And I liked Curtis's sweetness, his easygoing nature, the way he wanted to care for Joseph.

I was, however, disturbed by Joseph, who has Korean heritage, being described several times as having "slanted" eyes. *cringes* Setting up the Asian man as exotic and "other" is offensive to me.

Also, the cover is weird. The men look much older than 26 and 20, and I don't understand why they're in a pond?

I have a feeling the author is active on GR under another name, and I don't want to step on any toes, so I'm not going to rate.
Profile Image for Katrina Passick Lumsden.
1,775 reviews12.8k followers
June 10, 2015
Goodreads asks, "What do you think?", and honestly, what I think is that A.L. Lamb needs to take some basic creative writing courses before attempting any more books. This is one of those books that makes me weep both for the time wasted in its creation as well as the time and money wasted buying and reading it.

No, I'm not having a bad day. Just... Is it too much to ask that someone actually be a lover of the written word if they attempt to write a book? I'm not a book snob, check some of my favorites for proof of that, but this makes me feel like an asshole because I really can't help but turn my nose up at it. The dialogue is stilted and uncomfortable, there's no fluidity in terms of either basic narration or character interaction, and at one point, Lamb actually described the heat outside as "scolding". The entire story made me uncomfortable, from beginning to end, because none of it felt genuine. There's no showing, only telling, and the telling is done in such a ham-fisted, cheesy way that I was hard pressed to keep my gag reflex under control.

I adore my current trial of Kindle Unlimited, but even being free to read, this book just isn't worth the time.
Profile Image for ScottyP.
10 reviews1 follower
April 7, 2015
I've never written a review and i don't think its wise that i start with this book but i think its best if i keep it short

i have no clue what happened but i think i read a different book to everyone else. i don't know how this got so many 5stars ratings - are they friends? but it needs work. i mean a lot of work. i think this wasn't published properly. i kno nothing about what it takes to produce a book but this one was full of errors and mistakes. it needs an editor. or the editor needs to be sacked. like yesterday.

sweet story but no substance and to many errors to read
Profile Image for Deanna.
2,533 reviews62 followers
March 29, 2015
The first part of this novella was emotional. It is the story of a young man, Joseph, who is physically and emotional abused by his father. He has no life but dreams of being able to leave his father's control. He is legally an adult but has nothing and no one. What little money his father pays him to work in their business he saves hoping to break free.

Curtis forgets his lunch one day and goes out to lunch. He is immediately mesmerized by Joseph going about his duties. Curtis continues to come in every day for lunch but is to shy to speak to Joseph. He notices the older man at the cash register watching him. Curtis is a rare man. He is happy with his life. He has loving parents who accept him as he is. He likes his job and his co-workers. His life is good except that he is lonely. His prior romances or hookups have made him self-conscious of being a bear.The tender story of their attraction is played against Joseph's father's brutality.

This first part of the story is good. The second part bogs down with repeated use of the same descriptions and phrases. If I read about Joseph's "little pink tongue" I would scream. Also the constant reference to the difference in their skin color and size, over and over again. (Joseph is Asian). Also the lack of a good proof reader interfered with the flow of the story. Examples: lie down on top him on the couch and his smaller frame close to big his body and Hope you don't not mind. Double negative!

I am not trying to come (excuse the pun) down hard (sorry) on a new author. I admire the guts it takes to put your book and yourself out there. I think this author has talent but needs a good beta reader. She also needs to reread her work and use alternative phrasing. These problems seriously limited my pleasure from this story. I did not feel heat between these MCs but only saw errors.

I learned of this book from the authors post on a M/M group on facebook. It is available on Amazon. (Remember use Amazonsmile and some of your purchases qualify for a donation to a charity. You can pick from Amazon's list. If you do not have a favorite charity, please consider the National Multiple Sclerois Society as we need to find a cure.)

Profile Image for Melissa Mendoza.
2,551 reviews44 followers
Page Count: 96
Heat Level: 3 flames out of 5
Rating: 3 stars out of 5
Blurb:

It has been weeks since Curtis first saw the young waiter with the haunted eyes. No matter how often he went to the café to find the right opportunity to introduce himself, that moment simply did not come that quickly.

Joseph was aware of the gentle giant who quietly came to have his lunch and then left day after day. Fearing his father’s wrath and under his ever watchful eyes, he made no moves nor overtures. Until one day when the other man approaches to him…

Hope can turn to love... interracial love.

“Curtis felt a rush of warmth in his chest. He leaned forward and touched his forehead against Joseph’s. Curtis stayed like that for a few seconds, feeling reassure now that Joseph was with him.”

3 stay with me stars! Beautiful and heartbreaking!

I love a great M/M romance but this book was lacking something and I can’t quite put my finger on it. The story was great and well told, but I think I wanted more from the characters. More depth or insight maybe. The storyline was beautiful and well told, which I loved. I, being a selfish, reader wanted more.

me alphabookclub
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. Reviewed by Melissa from Alpha Book Club description
Profile Image for Erin.
450 reviews1 follower
August 9, 2015
I really wanted to like this one based on the blurb and the first few pages, but I just didn't. It almost felt like it was written by an adolescent.

There was a lot of repetition - especially about the characters' physical differences.

Their "courtship" felt very juvenile to me as well. On their first date, they shyly decide to be "boyfriends." Instead of being charming, though, it felt like something you would observe at a middle school lunch table.

Another problem I had was with the inconsistencies. At the beginning of the book, a character is complaining about the summer heat. Then, a few days later, it is rainy winter. Both characters are in their early 20s, but the author later keeps commenting about an age difference. There were a lot of little things like that that pulled me out of the story.

Finally, something about the story felt...squicky...to me. I usually love an age and size difference. However, the way the author kept referring to one of the characters as "the younger man" and praising his small size, hairless state and innocence left me feeling uncomfortable. Everyone in the book was an adult, but if the ages hadn't been given, you may not have known it. As I said... squicky.
Profile Image for Aղցela W..
3,804 reviews251 followers
April 25, 2017
I really couldn't get into this book like I wanted to. Curtis is a bank, teller. He is an avid reader, shy and feels a bit socially inept. He eats at the same daily and escape into his favorite book on his kindle. Joseph is an Asian young man who works for his father in the restaurant. His father is cold and abuses him. I think that the reason I had problems with this book was because of the whole thing with Joseph and his father and the Asian cultural. I understand that the children are to take care of the elderly but what about their life? These two had a tender relationship and was loving from the start. I really liked when Joseph got the courage to leave his family I know it was hard being afraid of change. This was my first time reading this author. This book was well written with no errors in grammar or spelling. I am looking reading more of her work.
Profile Image for True Loveislovereview.
2,116 reviews1 follower
March 3, 2016
Joseph and Curtis. A petit tiny man and a big hairy bear (short story)
Joseph, so abused by his awful father who said he owns him, finally sees some light when he meets Curtis at his fathers restaurant. Curtis sees the hurt in Joseph eyes and immediately want to protect him. They have a date and looking forward another one.
After a very very bad beat up Joseph leaves his home and find a room to sleep and recover. Not heaving a phone number he hopes to see secretly Curtis at a sideway by the restaurant. After a week they find each other and Curtis takes Joseph with him to his home.
Very very carefully they start a relationship.
It was sweet endearing, sometimes a little childish with Joseph his non experience but mostly sweet.

Omg the waxing ......
Profile Image for Hugo Darling (on hiatus).
330 reviews1 follower
December 22, 2022
Just because the lover is asian you don't have to mentioned asian in at anything
"Asian smell" "Asian food"
I feel like Joseph's father was there only for shocked value, the authors could've added something more rather than them just living and having sex all the time.
But I still enjoyed the story regardless
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ava S..
42 reviews
October 3, 2022
I loved this! It made me so sad because Joseph's Dad was such a *****, and the here comes Curtis! It had a happy ending, so that made me feel better🤗
Profile Image for Sue.
1,908 reviews23 followers
July 24, 2015
My son actually bought this book for me because he knows I love a good romance and I do like a little M/M action as well.
This was from a first time author and it was pretty good. It started off as a very sensitive and slow moving tale about Joseph, a young man who works hard (almost like a slave) as a waiter for his father and Curtis, a lonely "bear" of a man who works at a bank. What started off as a chance encounter when Curtis forgets his lunch one day and sees the adorable Joseph working at the cafe, turns into a sweet and passionate love affair.
Joseph suffers from horrible abuse at home and has yet to come to terms with his sexuality...he knows he is attracted to men but has never been kissed or had the chance to act upon his urges...until he is essentially "rescued" by the older man.
The first 70% of the book is a big build up until the last portion which was very sensual and HOT as they realize their feelings and express them physically. It was a good debut novella with a sweet and romantic story of coming of age in a harsh world.

**** 4.5 **** "first love is always the best" stars
Profile Image for Anne.
727 reviews
June 16, 2015
The blurb caught my attention in an instant! The story of big cuddle-bear Curtis and sweet Joseph is touching and heart warming. Both characters will find a place in your heart the moment you get to know them. To learn and "see" how Joseph is abused by his father and how he is desperatly searching for a way out of it just made me teary and sad. He seems so innocent and just wants to be free of his father and live his own life...maybe with his secret crush, Curtis. And Curtis, the big teddy bear, who falls for the cute waiter and longs to date him. He's so patient and lovable, especially when he cares for Joseph and falls for him head over heals more and more.
The whole story is well elaborated and fits great in its own timeframe.
It's a smooth read and I enjoyed every word of it. Great Job, Lily!
Profile Image for Tanya Wade.
36 reviews
February 22, 2020
Such a sweet story

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Curtis & Joseph. It was difficult to deal with Joseph’s father & how horrible he was. I cried while feeling all of Joseph’s pain & heartache. Curtis’ sweet heart & gentle nature are everything Joseph needs in his life. And Joseph’s bruised but open soul, ready to be loved, is exactly what Curtis needs in his life. They both need someone to love, who is willing to be loved in return.
One thing about Lily Lamb’s books, is that I always end up experiencing new music that I’ve never heard. Whenever she mentions an artist in her stories, I look them up & listen to the music while reading. In this story, she features Albéniz. I love this guitar music & added him to my Apple playlist.
Profile Image for Jayne.
Author 14 books64 followers
March 8, 2020
I say "deceptively," because this author never shies away from difficult subjects. She writes gay characters with sensitivity and a lot of affection.

I had a Lily Lamb binge-read this week as I just needed a book to wrap around me like a warm duvet, and this provided just the escapism I needed. Even though there is a tough sub-plot, that of a young Asian bullied by his overbearing father, and another of a character feeling uncomfortable in his own skin, not being the svelte love interest in so many other novels, this was a warm, sweet book with a lovely ending and two delightful characters. I was rooting for them to find happiness right from the first page.
Profile Image for Denise GremoryKohta.
3,361 reviews4 followers
April 5, 2020
What a read!!

I love these guys. Poor sweet Joseph. I swear I wanted to reach in and drag his dad out to bad. He would be praying for social distancing when I got through with him. I literally had to put my phone down and calm myself. That’s how deep you get in with this read. Lily Lamb has blown me away again.
Profile Image for Jayded.
77 reviews
Shelved as 'dnf'
April 30, 2015
I'm not rating this book because, frankly, I can't read it. I don't think I've made it through the first chapter and everything is so stilted I just can't continue. It almost reads as though it was translated into English by someone not quite fluent in English.
Profile Image for Maureen.
1,803 reviews26 followers
August 4, 2020
This was a very sweet story-line I really enjoyed reading it. Both mc's are gentle loving men, total opposites in size and ethnicity. Joseph had lived a life of misery and pain, Curtis wanted to rescue him and give him the life he deserved.
Profile Image for Jerry Fuller.
69 reviews1 follower
May 6, 2021
Great book

This book tells a story of child abuse and the aftermath of it and how it can affect people and their tell. It shows how with love and understanding that can be overcome. A truly beautiful story of love and acceptance.
Profile Image for booklover.
1,492 reviews6 followers
April 6, 2015
Wow !!! What a beautiful story !! A great read and full of emotion as well as some pretty steamy scenes too !! Brilliant !
Profile Image for Julie Mannino.
Author 21 books26 followers
August 2, 2022
I really enjoyed this! Curtis is a bank teller and Joseph works for his Father, whose been abusing him for years. It was great to see the characters overcome trials and get together!
Profile Image for C.G. Jaquish.
Author 7 books14 followers
January 10, 2023
So genuine!

I love the beauty behind characters who feel so real you could reach out and hug them. And they could use some hugs with this story. I also love when books have a book-lover within them. Really helps you connect and root for their romance in this story. Definitely recommend this sexy tale!
Profile Image for Jules.
101 reviews
November 1, 2022
A lovely story

A beautiful sweet romance with such tender moments and highly emotional scenes too. A very good read. I highly recommend.
Profile Image for Deirdre.
1,399 reviews10 followers
May 17, 2016
What a great story!! I would read this author again and again. Now all she has to do is write another book. I love when I read for the first time an established author. He or she has one or several established series that I can delve right into. But a new single book /story author is both a great and frustrating discovery. As wonderful as it is to find a new person to follow, it's upsetting having to wait for the next release.

Ms Lamb created two men who are so deserving of love and affection. This is a sweet romance, with some heartbreaking scenes. The cute waiter has been abused by his angry miserable father all his life. The way he continues to treat his son is terrible. You'd be hard pressed to find a father son pair more juxtaposed in everything. While the son is kind, thoughtful, and caring. His father is a bitter, mean old man who inappropriately takes out his black hearted anger on an innocent victim, his very own son.

The big young bank teller's home life is the complete opposite of the waiter's. He was raised in a loving and caring home, that he visited regularly. He doesn't do a lot outside his own home, preferring to read and watch television. His last boyfriend made him feel self conscience about his weight. Though others might view it as boring or unambitious he really enjoys working as a teller. His meeting of the young Korean waiter was completely serendipitous.

Their attraction was mutual and very strong despite neither of them being certain of the other's interest. The big teller notices how sad and dejected the waiter appears even as he also notes how cute he is. The waiter under the hypercritical vigilant eye of his father has to pretend to show no interest or suffer the dire consequences. It is so sweet how interest turns to like and eventually grows to love.

Even though I have used the term sweet to describe the romance between these two men, be forewarned there are scenes of terrible violence. It was hard to read at times. But the ending made the scary journey worth it. I really do hope that the author revisits these two men.
Profile Image for Noah Willoughby.
Author 5 books19 followers
April 24, 2015
“Stay With Me” is the story of a young man, Joseph, who works at a small restaurant under his domineering and abusive father. He notices an attractive customer, Curtis, who has been coming to the restaurant every day for lunch. The two eventually begin talking and connecting with one another.

The beginning of the story is the only strong and emotional part in which Joseph fends off the physical, verbal and emotional abuse that his father doles out. After that though, the story has somewhat of a predictable and oversimplified premise. A troubled young man is rescued by a strong and protective man, the two fall in love and live happily ever after.

The story becomes boring quickly and I didn’t feel engaged in the characters at all. Everything bogs down because it’s being described over and over again in a slightly different way, like the size difference or skin tone difference between Curtis and Joseph. The scenes between Curtis and Joseph are so drawn-out and uninteresting, even the sex scenes. I don’t feel any heat or chemistry between the two.

This story needed several editors or beta readers to look over it. There are far too many mistakes for a published book. I was very confused by instances where I thought a character was talking to himself only to find that he was thinking it instead. It was difficult to follow the narration because I was being thrown between two different perspectives within the same paragraph. The paragraphs are also arranged in a weird way where it seems like random sentences are strung together.

I was very disappointed with this story. It needed a LOT of condensing and removing unnecessary portions. The characters needed more of a back story in order to be fully relatable and likeable. I hope the author takes notice of these errors when writing another story, but I really can’t recommend this book.
Profile Image for Shayla Mist.
Author 14 books23 followers
August 6, 2015
I received an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review

This book was so sweet! I loved the hurt-comfort aspect of the plot and I loved that Lily didn't go over the top with anything. There's was a small dose of angst, a small dose of humor, a small dose of conflict and sexiness too. I think for a debut book it proves that the author has an innate sense for the plot. She found a perfect balance between the story elements and didn't overwhelm the reader with anything - not an excess of angst or action, not an excess of descriptive scenes and not too much dialog. Honestly I kinda envy Lily for managing this with her first book. Mine was a disaster of epic proportions *shush, pretend you didn't just read this part*.

Strictly form an emotional point of view, this is exactly the kind of book I would call a comfort read. Whether you feel good or had a bad day, there is no way Stay With Me won't make you smile. It is absolutely perfect. Adorable characters and an amazing happy ending. I loved it, especially because of the cultural differences between characters. I think it's a great thing to see characters from other ethnicities in books, aside from American, Irish and British. The world is such a big place. We need this variety reflected in writing as well. So I really admire Lily for stepping up the game.

The only drawback I found was the editing. It wasn't very poorly edited (I've seen a lot worse), but there were some typos in there that kinda got in the way of the enjoyment.
Profile Image for Diverse.
1,177 reviews48 followers
May 10, 2016
Stay With Me is a touching, sad emotional read. It has sweetness wrapped throughout it. There’s angst, and romance. That’s the “one line” feel of the story.

Joseph, which is an MC in this story is dealing with a lot. He has an abusive, possessive father. I mean his dad is a real piece of you know what. Curtis, the other MC, works in Joseph’s Father’s restaurant. Nothing needs to be said to Curtis to see the pain, heartache, and fear in Joseph’s eyes. He wants to save him, protect him, and love him.

After a horrible situation Curtis and Joseph are together and so the healing begins. Joseph’s innocence tugs at your heart. Curtis teaches him kind and loving touch and that was beautiful.
There were some issues to this story but they are not unforgiving. There was some editing/grammar problems in the sense this story was more tell and not show. It’s quite common and of course I pick up on such things as a reviewer. It just needs a little sharpening up. Another set of eyes perhaps.

All in all it’s an endearing tale of a loving rescue.
Profile Image for Adam Stevens.
Author 32 books34 followers
May 10, 2015
What an amazing love story. Lily has a special way of completely developing a scene, and both main characters into real people. People who you can see interacting, and having conversations with. Joseph and Curtis both seemed like real people to me. Fantastic character connection. The slow, subtle contradictions that eventually blossomed into love, with an amazing happily ever after. I can not wait to read the follow up to this book!
I could relate to Joseph's misfortunes growing up and working in my abusive mothers business. And could relate with this paraphrased quote, "After his father hit him in the head again and grabbed Joseph's hair... Never! I mean never will you be customer friendly again!" Sadly, I suffered that same fate, but now I am obsessive compulsive about customer service even though the opposite was beaten into me daily.
A great big beautiful book of hope, happiness and happy endings!
Profile Image for Cathryn Dolly.
56 reviews48 followers
June 23, 2015
Lily Lamb, Lily Lamb , lily lamb hope you get this:::

I have finished reading her first book Stay With Me.. and let me tell you it was a heartwarming and delicious story.. in fact I didn't want to end...

Sooo...i hope there is a sequel...or other tales ???? ;-)

I was curious to see the writing style of this writer and would be silmiar to mine. The male relationship between the two characters is touching how they show love in various ways and plus I like happy endings.

I would recommend this book to those who like to read male romance and or happy endings theme..can't wait to read more of her stories!!! :-D
Profile Image for Faye K.
2,410 reviews28 followers
March 2, 2017
A truly beautiful story which I would love to give 10 stars too. Joseph has had a rough upbringing since being raised by his father. He works at his father's cafe clearing tables. When Curtis starts having his lunch at the cafe its plain they both like each other although Joseph try's to keep under the radar of his father but not seceding. Joseph runs away from home and later meets up with Curtis again. Can Curtis keep Joseph safe? I highly recommend this book and look forward to more of Lily's books in the future.
Profile Image for Maggie.
436 reviews
March 28, 2015
Good first time Author

I really liked this book. Good characters and storyline, two MC's that are very cute! Curtis, a gentle giant falls for Joseph, a shy and quiet waiter. Joseph works for his father who is abusing him. They meet for coffee and start to meet up more often until Joseph finally has enough and leaves. Curtis finds him and offers him a place to stay and heal. Their love story is sweet and romantic, with laughter and fun thrown in. Well done!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 45 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.