Start by marking “Paint My Body Red” as Want to Read:
Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red

The world isn't just black or white. Sometimes it's red...

They think I'm next. That I'll be the seventh kid to step in front of a train and end my life. With the rash of suicides at my school, Mom's shipped me off to my dad's Wyoming ranch for “my own safety.” They think I’m just another depressed teenager whose blood will end up on the tracks. They don't know my secret
Published November 2nd 2015 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Teen)

To ask other readers questions about Paint My Body Red, please sign up.
Melissa (YA Book Shelf) I love Jake - he's all the things that you want in a guy and a book boyfriend, but my favorite character is Paige. Her growth and development is…moreI love Jake - he's all the things that you want in a guy and a book boyfriend, but my favorite character is Paige. Her growth and development is incredible. (less)

Hristina
Update (July 8th 2017):
It took three trips to the post office: one civil talk with a lady who works there, one conversation that was on the verge of an argument with her younger colleague, and lastly talking to the controller at seven in the morning, to finally get this book.

description

Since I opened the package containing it, I haven't been able to put it down, the cover's mesmerizing, it keeps inviting me
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This review was originally published on Book Blog Bird

Paint My Body Red is the story of Paige, a high school senior who is sent to her ill father’s ranch in Wyoming for the summer from her home in California so that she can escape the aftermath of a spate of suicides that rocked her school. One by one, fellow classmates were killing themselves and Paige’s mother fears that she will be next.

Firstly, I think the author deserves a big round of applause for tackling such a sensitive
Rachel Kirtlan
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

This was such an incredibly moving book; by the end of it, I was in tears. There were a lot of difficult topics at play in this book, and I thought they were all handled extremely well by the author.

“What made the difference between choosing to die and deciding to live?
Was it the weight of sadness that buckled them over and dragged them away from all sane, rational thoughts with an anchor of hopelessness so intense they just gave up fighting?”

The main issue in this book was teen/>“What
Krystianna
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It went to places that I didn't think it would, and I appreciate that. Full review to come within a few hours or so.

**Thank you so much to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I went into Paint My Body Red only knowing that it had something to do with suicide. Other than that, I knew absolutely nothing. I think that may be partly why I ended up loving Paint My Body Red so much; it completely blew me away and touched on subje
Nicole
Shelves: arcs, netgalley

4 'meaningful' stars from me

ARC kindly provided via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review

Something strange is happening in Paige's hometown, one by one teenagers suicide stepping in front of a train.
For that reason Paige's mother is sending her to her dad's ranch in order to prevent another suicide, fearing her daughter will be the next one to attempt it. There Paige will introduce us in a whole new world and she will introduce us Jake the hot and sexy cowboy.

What unexpected and un

Holly
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books, arcs
First posted at Words Fueled by Love.

Well, this was an unexpected emotional story! I had so many feels while reading it - in less than 3 days. Most of those feels were heart tugging, teary-eye-filled emotions. There was also heart warming moments, and smiles too. I absolutely loved the setting of this story in Wyoming on a horse ranch. I loved that the main character is unplugged - no electronics, no social media, no cell phones, just God's country and creations. It's a beautiful book settin
Kristine
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

This book is both dark and uplifting at the same time. Told in the now and then the reader follows Paige as she tries to find her way through a very traumatic and difficult time.

The story is told in the "now" which is obviously after something serious happened and Paige is trying to recover and move on from it. As t
Carlene Inspired
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can find more of this review on my blog, Carlene Inspired.

Paige has agreed to spend the summer after high school at her dad's ranch in Wyoming, not so much because she wants to, but because she needs to get away. A string of suicides at her school have left her raw and disconnected. The smartest, most athletic, and popular kids are gone and her mom doesn't want her to be next. After years away from the ranch, Paige is surprised to see it bad condition, not realizing that her dad is incredibl
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
UPDATE!! THIS IS AVAILABLE TODAY!!

**I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

At my death paint my body with red paint and plunge it into fresh water to be restored back to life, otherwise my bones will be turned into stone and my joints into flint in my grave, but my spirit will rise. ―Crazy Horse

Honestly, I did not expect to love this book and enjoy it as much as I did. When it came up for review, I read the synopsis, thought it sounded interesting,/>
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Beautiful, sensitive writing about difficult subject matter. I've read tons of books in which teen suicide and healing from the suicide of a friend or a loved one is a major theme, so I can say with some authority that Heidi Kling does a great job presenting it. It's a love story and a mystery rolled up in one, it's about coming to terms with what has happened, and finding a way to have a positive effect in the world from a negative experience. But at the same time, it's unlike any of the "suici ...more
Moriah
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*This review is also on A Leisure Moment (Paint My Body Red Book Review)*

**I received an e-copy of this book via NetGalley from Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review**

I’ve had this book on my TBR pile since I read Heidi R. Kling’s Not Okay, Cupid. Let me warn you, Paint My Body Red is nothing like that book. Cupid is lighter and focused around the romance between Hazel and Felix. Paint has a guy and a girl, but instead of one story, you get two.

Paige Mason was surrounded by death. When suicide became an epidemic in an affluent CaliFelix.
Ambur
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have loved Heidi R. Kling's writing ever since I first read Sea, so when I heard about Paint My Body Red, I was extremely excited!!! The description sounded dark and edgy, with the promise of some romance involving a swoon-worthy cowboy, which sounded pretty amazing to me. Sure enough, I started the book, and couldn't put it down!

Paint My Body Red is about Paige. When she was younger, her parents divorced, and her mom moved her to California, away from her family's ranch in Wyoming
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Stars

Suggested Young Adult age-range: mature 14 - 16 due to dark content, suicide, grief/mourning, and sexual content. More told than shown, but that didn't dampen the impact of the moral. Parents, gauge your child's maturity level, but I do believe it's an appropriate and necessary read to broaden all minds.

Genre: Young adult | Coming of Age | High School Graduate transitioning to college | Dark subject matter | Slight mystery/suspense feel | R
Erica (storybookend)
From reading Kling’s other novel, Sea, I knew that Paint My Body Red would be beautiful and suffused with emotion. And it didn’t disappoint. The writing was nice, the characters were real and deep, the storyline was so, so intriguing. The only thing that I didn't like (which is the reason why I gave this book a 4 instead of a 5) was there was too much usage of the f-word for my tastes (and a little bit of sexual content). But, that is just me, and it didn’t necessarily take away from the story. Sometim ...more
Rachel Geiger
Honestly, this is a book that will stay with me for awhile. The subject is extremely tough, and it can be very emotionally draining for me personally. Meaning, I can only take so much of really sad situations in books but at the same time, this is a significant story that needs to be told. I felt like the author did a good job at being sensitive and honest at the same time. She handled the tough stuff with a large amount of grace, which is always respectable to me.

I felt like the nar
Andrea
Sooo... Most of the time after finishing a book I dive straight to another one. But there are sometimes where you finish a book and simply need a time to THINK about it. And this book is one of them.

I had a love/hate relationship with this one. I hated and liked Paige. But honestly I hated her at the start of the book but ended up loving her. She grows from being an annoying, idiot girl to a brave, strong and wise woman.

As the blurb of the book says Paige is shipped off to her dad's Wyoming ra
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I received an ARC when I signed up and was selected to host the book tour. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are my own.

This book was beautifully written. The author wrote this in past and present tense and she did an amazing job with the way she wrote about the subject matter which is teen suicide. A dark read with many emotional moments. The story line moved at a perfect pace and the characters are full of depth.
Melanie
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a very well written story. Although it was dark on some aspects, Paige learns to find herself and matures a lot along the way. I found myself longing to know how things were going to end for Paige and flipping through the pages faster and faster. This story flowed really well and I liked how it was written in Paige's past and the present. It gave you a backstory to be able to relate to and understand how Paige was where she was at in life.

Paige is a young lady that has b
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
This was an amazing book. I wasn’t 100% sure right at the beginning about what I’d think of it, but the more I read, the more I loved it. It’s another book that focus on a taboo topic i.e. teenage suicide. The writing was so raw, so emotional, so utterly fantastic. Thank you Netgalley for providing me a copy in exchange for a honest review. I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

The intense summary, and beautiful cover, is what first drew me to this book. The story is told from two differ
books are love
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

this was unique and wonderful. As we watch Paige slowly unburden herself of the guilt and open up again we see a new young woman emerge. Watching her find room in her heart for love and finding her dad and a family that loves without burdens but because they do is wonderful.

When I first started to read the then sections,which are powerful, I didn’t like all aspects of Paige. She was a user. She used Ty as a outlet for pain and when
Zareena (The Slanted Bookshelf)
I’m not sure what I expected from Paint My Body Red but it was a great read! Paige is being sent to her father’s ranch for the summer to protect her from the events of the past year and to give her some distance from everything before university.

There are lots of threads that the author pulls together in Paint My Body Red: Paige’s father’s illness, the mystery behind the suicides and Paige’s involvement, Paige healing, and the romance with Jake. First the plot. Last year a string of
Nicole
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
Paint My Body Red!!! First things first: I received an ARC through NetGalley.
The book came out yesterday, so if it's something you are interested in, you should check it out.

There is that quote towards the end of the book, that I want to start this review with. Cause it's one of those quotes that I want to write down everywhere and that I had no trouble with tattooing it on my forehead.

"But he should know by now that life isn't black and white - it's red. And in that c
Ally
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
NetGalley.

Wow. Paint My Body Red is definitely one tale that'll stick long after I finished reading its last page. The best parts are its plot, character, and the main character's relationship with the sort-of antagonist. And I can't forget about the main character's friendship with a wild horse!

Here we go. Let's dive in.

First of all, I want to say that I'm not an expert at abusive relationships involving rape. (It has never happened to me, thankfully, and what I know co
Suze Lavender
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Paige is on her way to her father's ranch to spend the summer there. After traumatic events at home she needs a change of scenery before the start of her first semester as a student. Jake, a nice guy who isn't much older than Paige, is picking her up from the airport and he's taking her to the place that used to be her home. When she arrives at the ranch nothing is like she remembered it. Her father has ALS and while before there were plenty of people now there are only two people left who are t ...more
T. Rosado
5+ SHOCKINGLY BEAUTIFUL STARS!

Although tough material was tackled in this sociologically current novel, I closed the book after the last page and let out a happy sigh. Heidi Kling, you rocked this novel!

I will honestly admit that I had some reservations going into this book due to the subject matter - suicide, illness, rape, and death. I would have completely cheated myself if I hadn't delved right in. The book is written in Paige's POV, but that doesn't hinder what we experience
Jessica Brooks
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Paint My Body Red is a tough read about a tough girl who makes some tough choices (some of which she ultimately regrets, but when one is going through hard times, one doesn't always make the best decisions).

The setting flips back and forth between current time and the past in two completely different states, slowly unravelling the storyline as you learn how things got to be the way they are whilst watching Paige come out of her shell as she re-acclimates herself to her dad and where she grew up
Christina
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paige is a senior who gets sent to live on her father's ranch following a string of suicides at her high school. Her mother fears she is next, so she is sent to spend time with her ill father, but what she doesn't expect is to find herself in a completely different world, with a cute cowboy learning more about herself than she ever expected.

The storytelling was my favourite aspect of this book - I felt as though I was in the story and when an author can create that kind of imagery, i
A Leisure Moment
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

Read the rest of the review!

Ingrid Paulson
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing and moving novel. Heidi Kling's prose is gorgeous and brings this story to life.

• Craving's Creek
  • Beneath the Stain - Part Five
  • Spectacularly Broken (Spectacularly Broken, #1)
  • Catch and Release (Fishing for Trouble, #3)
  • Y Negative
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Sudden Hope (Sudden Hope, #1)
  • Tangled Thing Called Love (Life and Love on the Lam, #3)
  • Slamdunked By Love (One-on-One #2)
  • Surprise: Embrace the Unpredictable and Engineer the Unexpected
  • Captured By You (Untamed, #2)
  • Take A Chance On Me
  • Unlucky in Love (Whisper Creek, #4)
  • T.E.D.
  • Through Fire & Sea (Otherselves, #1)
  • Stories Beneath Our Skin
  • Take the Long Way Home
  • The Orphan Sisters
Heidi R. Kling writes books about normal girls in fantastic situations.

Her debut novel SEA (Penguin/Putnam) was a finalist for Northern California Book of the Year," an IndieNext Summer Pick, Goodreads “Mover and Shaker," Scholastic Reading Pick, and Gateway Reader’s Award Finalist among other generous accolades. SEA, which launched June, 2010, is a bittersweet love story set in the aftermath of
“What made the difference between choosing to die and deciding to live?
2 likes