Start by marking “Somewhere In Between” as Want to Read:

Somewhere In Between

Two friends find a portal to another dimension and use this “in-between place” to avoid the stress of their everyday lives. What they don’t realize is that every time they enter, they alter reality.

Pseudo-punk Magnolia and underachieving gamer-geek Rom are two unlikely friends who only hang out during their walks home together after school. When they find the a portal tha
Paperback, First Edition , 146 pages
Published August 25th 2015 by Kung Fu Girl Books (first published August 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere In Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere In Between

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kung Fu Girl Books and NetGalley.)

“Sometimes I wish I didn’t know how to talk.”

This book was a bit strange, and I’m still not really sure what was going on.

The main problems I had with this book were the jumping back and forth in time without warning, and the lack of explanations as to what exactly was going on. We got several meetings between the two main characters, but on one page they wer
Dana
Dec 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 53%

The writing style was sparse and the constant time jumps were very confusing. I never had any sense of what was going on, and the "in-between-place" added no intrigue or suspense to the story. Two stars because I didn't actually hate it, I was just bored.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This is one of those books that's difficult to rate and describe.

The story bounces between two main characters and two periods of time (high school and after they come back from college). It wasn't until 80% or so that I realized the margins were a clue to WHEN the story is taking place. The margins are far left when they are remembering high school and far right when "current" time. Then there's that last sad chapter where it's perfectly centered.

This is a book that could spark discussion for w
Pearl Angeli
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 25%

Sorry but I can't do it anymore. I have a big problem with the writing style, it just didn't get me. :((

(A free copy was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.)
Laurence R.
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-review
There were parts that I loved, but I'm not sure I understood much of the story, which isn't that good of a sign.

I started this book loving the chemistry between the main characters. I loved their interactions and the moment when they found the "in-between" place was just perfect. It was a mixture of simple YA and fantasy that I loved and I was really excited to continue reading. It became fine when it was a few years later, but I found there weren't many details about their lives or their past,
kingdomofbookss
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
" Do you want to go back to the in-between place? "

I was torn between giving this 3.5 stars or 4 stars, and eventually I decided on 3.5.

THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

IF YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO ASKS QUESTIONS LIKE :
What happened to the main characters? Where did they come from?
How did this happen? Did they die? Who? What? WHY THIS AND WHY THAT AND BLABLABLA... THEN THIS BOOK IS DEFINITELY NOT FOR YOU.
Katie Li's writing in this book is metaphorical. Everything is not explained thoroughly t
snowplum
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The statement that came into my head while pondering how to start this review was is: "Somewhere In Between is the book you would get if you took a Stephanie Perkins novel and, every time Perkins wrote a mundane, realistic, straightforward detail, you intentionally subverted expectations with vagueness, enigma, and magical realism." Does that sound interesting to you? Then read Somewhere In Between. Does that sound pretentious and/or pointless? Then don't.

I don't think I can categorically and e
Jenny Bravo
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Katie. Li.

This book is SO refreshing. I loved how incredibly literary this book was, and I really enjoyed the writing. It's one of the few books that I've wanted to stop and read every single word.

I love the characters and the style of this book. It's an incredible journey that truly makes you think and question.

Thank you, Katie, for such an amazing book! I'm utterly in love with this.
Anne
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
If you're expecting some YA romance with a bit of urban fantasy mixed up with it, you're going to be in for an interesting (no pun intended) ride. My GOD, this book was intense!

It's a good thing the blurb is there because, just like Magnolia and Rom, I didn't realize they were altering reality either every time they entered the portal. It does make sense now, though, as far as anything can make sense in this book.

The story itself is very surreal, like an intricate web of hallucinations all spun
Brittany
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really wanted this to be good. I was rooting for it the whole time, I really was. Even in the last ten pages of the book, I was ready for Katie Li to pull out surprises and WOW me with a twist that would make the preceding drudgery worthwhile. Yet I was only confused and disappointed at the end. The concept is interesting and the format inspires intrigue and curiosity, but ultimately the book felt like a poor attempt at a Twilight Zone episode. The writing was somewhat juvenile; the setting, r ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 2.5

This was a strange read. The story was confusing and weird. The concept was interesting, but the execution was lacking. The time jumps from past to future were weird and confusing. It made it hard to follow the story. The characters were good. However, I wanted more from them. The book was not what I was expecting. Overall, a read that was not for me.
Shealea
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Before anything else, I received a free digital copy of this book (via Netgalley) from the author, Katie Li, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Katie Li and Kung Fu Girl Books!

The in-between place was always waiting for them, but they never knew what to expect on the other side. When they opened the door after school, they could be anywhere—old country towns or abandoned cities, always in a state of decay.

The premise is fascinating. And the manner in which the blurb was written – perf
Trisha
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This and other reviews can be found on Yellow, Green, and Read All Over

*I received a digital ARC of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Magnolia, a wannabe punk who has just been dumped by her super-cool boyfriend, Zane, is wandering aimlessly on her way home when she meets Rom; a boy who, unbeknownst to her, has been staring longingly at her and her technicolor hair all school year. Their strange friendship becomes even stranger when together, they disco
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Katie Li’s Somewhere in Between is a Murakamiesque rollercoaster ride through love, friendship, and time itself. (Not sure this “rollercoaster” metaphor is working, but stick with me.) Magnolia, collector of lost things, and Rom, a shy gamer guy, form an unlikely connection as teens. Their friendship deepens when they discover a portal to another realm—the in-between place. Every time they visit, it’s different. When they go back to reality in their lovably ramshackle Boston neighborhood, the re ...more
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

Holy. Book Gods.
This book took me by complete surprise but only because the cover looks so cheerful but it took a dark turn and I loved every second of it! I am so mad at myself for not having read this sooner!! This was the first book I have read by Katie and I fell absolutely in love!!
She managed to speak to my dark soul and gave me a plot line I didn't even know I was yearning for.
2 friends, Rom and Magnolia, find a portal in their town and thi
Karah Rachelle
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I should preface by saying that I am not a fan of magical realism. I am a very straight-forward, factual type person. It's just how my brain works.

I should also say I read this book through Kindle apps on different devices and each one seemed to format the book in a different way, therefore, the cool formatting the author describes in the foreward did not really work in my devices, leading to much confusion and flipping back and forth to detect the subtlest of hints at time change. I highly reco
Sylvia (Serial Bibliophile)
Lately, I've been trying to read books by "unknown authors", well, at least unknown to me so I can explore a little bit more than the YA everyone is reading. I contacted author Katie Li because I found her book and thought it was very interesting. Gladly, she agreed to send me a copy for review (thank you Katie!).

This book is gorgeous! Seriously, if I hasn't gotten a review copy, I might have just gotten it for the cover alone (I tend to do that a lot...). Anyway, I really wanted to like this b
Muskan
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange of an honest review. All opinions stated are mine.

This book has many loop-holes but despite of that, it has soothed me and I loved reading it. This is obviously not for everyone, and if anyone told me the ending before, I would have thought that it's not for me.

I honestly don't know how to review this, so I am just gonna point out some factors:

-Rom & Magnolia are people I can relate to, and I like how their bond was able to be built w
Starr Waddell
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere In Between

It's hard for me to write a review for this one. It didn't really appeal to me because it's YA, which is not my genre. But I'm still giving it 4 stars because it intrigued me, and just because it's not for me doesn't mean it's bad. Many other people will find it enjoyable. I'm still trying to puzzle out what exactly was going on but I think that's the magic of this book. You're left to decide what happened, what you saw in its pages. The person who suggested this book to me s
Kristen Kieffer
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Somewhere in Between is a book of parallels. As Magnolia and Rom escape into the in-between place - an ever-changing alternate reality - readers are swiftly drawn into their own reveries. But these aren't the ethereal, gold-trimmed dreams of youth...

As the two friends leave their mundane lives behind time and again to visit the in-between place, they begin to discover themselves and the love they hold for one another. But does such an escape come at a cost?

As readers journey with Magnolia and R
Emily Shaw
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok

Um no. This just didn't work for me. I just wasn't a fan. Nothing was explained or made sense, the point of views switched and it wasn't always clear. The year/time would also switch without being acknowledged. I still gave this two stars because of the main characters' friendship, which was the only aspect of this book that I did enjoy. This could've been a really interesting fantasy story,
Rachelle
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't for everyone, but it does what only an indie author can—write a story that is so amazing publishers can't publish it. If you like writers like Haruki Murakami, then you'll enjoy Katie Li's YA surrealist novel. The story jumps around in time, the main characters meeting in "the other place" that slowly starts to creep into their real world and timeline.
Michelle
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rar
I am so confused. What just happened? The ending is left open to interpretation. And I don't think it works for this story. I was confused for most of the book and was hopeful the ending would shed some light on it for me. It didn't. I do not know how to review this story... Did they die? Or did they change it all for the better? or did it never happpen? I'm so lost.
Abbie
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

I knew very early on that this was going to be a read that I wouldn't really enjoy. The beginning of it was annoying with the talk about the days of the week, and after that was over it turned weird and confusing.

The story felt very jumpy too, which only added to the confusion.

Overall, Not a read I enjoyed.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, arcs-netgalley
This is confusing. Sometimes I didn't know what was what and I hate that kind of situation. Maybe that's what the author wanted to do but it was a mistake.

Flat dialogues, no depth regarding the characters, the "plot" is not really a plot itself. I didn't like it.
Eric Fritz
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on portal fantasy and how fantasy can reflect our real lives. There are some really unique formatting choices. Originally purchased because I know the author, but I enjoyed reading it.
Terri
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one reminded me of China Mieville - you are either willing to go with it and be okay with ambiguity or not because the book may be about the actual characters and actions/plot or it may entirely be a metaphor for something else and you may never know which. Or maybe it's both. Or neither. The story is lyrical, beautiful, heart breaking. It says a lot with very few words, written in stark, spare, lyrical prose that wonderfully captures loss, depression, anxiety, and yearning. I couldn't p ...more
Derek Bailey
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's always nice to try out something that I'm not 100% sure that I will like. This can mean reading something that doesn't fall within my typical scifi/fantasy genre preferences, reading something in a different kind of format (novella, comic, etc.), or just trying out a book that loosely relates to something I like. The latter of these is where SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN fell for me. It's a fantasy novel of sorts, but not you're typical knights, dragons, and quests type stuff. It's instead a book ab ...more
Rosemarie Umbac
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel in love with the cover of this book the moment I received the package. I wanted to read it right away but I had to wait because I have a long line of books waiting to be read. I was drawn to the book the more I ignore it, so I decided to read it last month.
I love the first line of the book. It made me think about it twice and completely understand what she meant by it.

“Tuesday is always the worst day.”

You would also be curious why she thought of that. So technically, the first sentence dr
Hayley
The blurb for this book states that it is inspired by works like Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, which is when I knew that I had to read this book as that is one of my favourite films. I’m fascinated by the idea of getting rid bad memories in order to move on with life, I’m not necessarily saying I think it’s a great idea but it does intrigue me.

Somewhere in Between is the story of an unlikely friendship between Magnolia and Rom. They meet at school and become friends of a sort, mainly beca
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Kissin' Hell: A That Old Black Magic Story
  • Aaron and Ahmed
  • Concrete, Volume 6: Strange Armor
  • These Are the Moments
  • Fantastic Four: Unstable Molecules
  • Darkwing Duck, Vol. 1: The Duck Knight Returns
  • La Tour (Les Cités obscures, #3)
  • Through The Veil (#1)
  • De:Tales : Stories from Urban Brazil
  • The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
  • Tin House: Fantastic Women
  • A Bintel Brief: Love and Longing in Old New York
  • Anything but Broken (Hurricane Creek, #1)
Katie Li writes fiction and narrative non-fiction about personal transformation and unlikely possibilities. Her work has appeared in The Huffington Post, Bitch Flicks, and Xenith. She is a co-organizer of Social Artists and Writers, assistant editor of Novella-T, and curator of the e-zine The Beautiful Worst. Somewhere In Between is her first book.

In Somewhere In Between, two friends find a porta