Start by marking “Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  8,819 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews
Emma Gatewood told her family she was going on a walk and left her small Ohio hometown with a change of clothes and less than two hundred dollars. The next anybody heard from her, this genteel, farm-reared, 67-year-old great-grandmother had walked 800 miles along the 2,050-mile Appalachian Trail. And in September 1955, having survived a rattlesnake strike, two hurricanes, ...more
Audible Audio, 8 pages
Published December 2014 by Tantor Audio (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Grandma Gatewood's Walk, please sign up.
Anita Lindsley Both books are great, but Grandma Gatewood could do what two men couldn't.
GirlFromTexas The author is implying that she "saved" the AT by bringing it to people's attention. She had read in Nat'l Geo that it was an easy walk.....when she…moreThe author is implying that she "saved" the AT by bringing it to people's attention. She had read in Nat'l Geo that it was an easy walk.....when she was on it, 1950's, she found huge sections of it in disrepair, flooded, burned down, not marked, without hiker campsites/cabins/stations/shelters, and while she did not seek or welcome media attention, it found her (the novelty aspect) and that increased people's interest, which helped create demand (funding) to fix it up and preserve it. (less)

·  8,819 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy read with my wonderful friend, Candi ❤

This book was a great inspiration!

For those of you that actually read my reviews =) there will be some spoilers on down the line because I just have to talk about Emma's horrific husband for a minute.

Anyway, at one time me, my dog, my dad, my ex-boyfriend and dog were going to hike a portion of the trail and I wanted to spend one night and hike back. But, we never did and then I became home bound so that's never going to happen. We used to pass this
Candi
"She stood, finally, her canvas Keds tied tight, on May 3, 1955, atop the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, the longest continuous footpath in the world, facing the peaks on the blue-black horizon that stretched toward heaven and unfurled before her for days. Facing a mean landscape of angry rivers and hateful rock she stood, a woman, mother of eleven and grandmother of twenty-three. She had not been able to get the trail out of her mind."

So began Emma Gatewood’s remarkable 2,050 mile
Hank Stuever
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle and nearly perfect tracing of steps of a determined woman who was among the first to simply walk the Appalachian Trail from one end to the other, in the middle of the 20th century, when she was 67 years old. It's also a book about the emotional and physical journey that was her disastrously abusive married life and the solace she found in nature as an independent old lady. There's a little something in here for everyone -- people who love nature and hiking (epic or simple) and people wh ...more
Kay
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, 2015
A cool story told by a mediocre author. I have no idea how this guy was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. The writing is ok but the book jumps back and forth between Gatewood's past and her hike. The jumps happen without warning and make little sense in terms of flow. The bulk of the book is devoted to her first thru-hike with the others mentioned only in passing. I found the amount of detail and lack of balance a little odd.

One chapter in the last third of the book consists of the author's account of
Cheri
5 Stars for Grandma Gatewood's Inspirational Story

“MAY 2—9, 1955”

“She packed her things in late spring, when her flowers were in full bloom, and left Gallia County, Ohio, the only place she’d every really called home.”

”She stood, finally, her canvas Keds tied tight, on May 3, 1955, atop the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, the longest continuous footpath in the world, facing the peaks on the blue-black horizon that stretched toward heaven and unfurled before her for days. Facing a
Carol
A huge debt of gratitude is wished to my GR friend Julie for recommending Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail to me.

Though I have hid one part of my review as a spoiler, my enthusiasm for this book may contain others. It's a case of told more rather than less but I'm certain you'll still find insights of your own to take away from this read.

It was the spring of 1955, May to be exact when Emma Gatewood set out from her home in Galliapolis, Oh
Mom
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grandma Emma Gstewood was an amazing woman who, at the age of 67 and with no long distance hiking experience, hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. First woman to hike the AT alone, she returned and hiked it several more times. That she did this without advance preparation, without the "essential" gear, and apparently without any fear is just amazing. Of course, she had the truly essential gear -- determination, courage, and good health.

A moderately interesting book about a fascinating inspiring w
Although it seems wholly inadequate, the only word I can think of to describe this book -- and this woman -- is "WOW!"

Author Ben Montgomery tells the story of Emma "Grandma" Gatewood, the first woman to ever through hike the 2,050 Appalachian Trail in 1957 at the age of 67. She then became the first person -- male or female -- to hike the trail two, and then three times. She was first inspired to hike the trail while reading about it in an article in National Geographic magazine. The article cla
Adam
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mile or so from my house is the Tuscobia, a 70-mile recreational trail that cuts through the western half of Northern Wisconsin. On its way, it passes through a half-dozen small towns, none more than a few hundred people in size, as well as the Chequamegon National Forest, a massive swathe of land that has largely been left to the animals, of which there are many. There is nothing spectacular about the trail besides the occasional railroad spike sticking out of the ground--no landmarks, no gre ...more
Pamela
Grandma Gatewood was an AMAZING woman! An outdoor enthusiast, sturdy and short in stature with a pioneering spirit who, at the age sixty-seven, was the first woman to walk all 2,050 miles of the Appalachian trail - from Georgia to Maine. She was a mother of eleven, and Grandmother to many. She was also a survivor of horrendous domestic abuse. And a quiet, eccentric soul who appreciated God's creation and the goodness and kindness of others.

Ben Montgomery's regaling of Gatewood's inaugural hike,
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I won this book from a Goodreads Giveaway - thank you!

Emma Gatewood walked the 2,000+ miles of the Appalachian Trail as a thru-hiker in 1955, the first for a woman. And then did it two more times because she wanted to. She then hiked the entire Oregon Trail, and did some other hike up into Canada. She started her hiking career at age 67! That's right, you feel like a lazy SOB about now. It's OK, so did I. But in case you want to feel a little worse about yourself, consider these facts. She wore
Yarnkettle
I so wanted to like this book. So I waited on writing my review for a few days, sometimes when a book marinates in your brain once you finish it, it gets better. This one did not.

I knew when the book was a third of the way in and she had hiked more than half of the trail that it really was not about hiking the trail. It was mostly about any topic the author could find to tie in.

The first flashback was incredibly jarring. The rest of them were only a bit less.

The author told a story, I'll give h
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

The story of a 67 year old Grandma who walked the Appalachian Trail. Her persistence lead to a revamping of the Trail and she has been given credit for its evolving maintenance and probably saved the Trail from extinction.

In 1955 Emma 'Grandma' Gatewood spent from May to September walking the full length of the Appalachian Trail - 2050 miles, through 13 states, from Georgia to Maine. She was the first woman to walk the whole length of the trail, by herself. Spending many nights out in th
Ann
“She had told her children she was going on a walk. That was no lie. She just never finished her sentence, never offered her own offspring the astonishing, impossible particulars.”

Ben Montgomery based this book on the life and adventures of Emma Gatewood, who at the age of 67 hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail during the 1950s. Readers are given some insights into Emma's youthful family life, which definitely wasn't a bed of roses, as she eventually had eleven children. The idea f
Lynn
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grandma Gatewood earns five stars; this book, only two. The writing is completely lackluster.

The author interweaves the story of Gatewood's life, pre-hike, with an accounting of her hike. That approach was okay, I wasn't disconcerted by it, but I think I would have preferred a straight, chronological approach to the telling. As written, there was nothing to support or link the diversion from the hike diary to the pieces of Gatewood's life before the hike.

I felt the author was a little melodrama
Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this book slowly just to savor/understand Emma Gatewood. Mr. Montgomery took great care to capture the essence of this main character, her domestic life and her inner strength of self. Highly recommend this book not so much for sparking a hiking interest but to understand the inner strength of this remarkable human being.
Carol Kowalski
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wilderness lovers, Shackelton/Endurance readers,
Recommended to Carol by: Daedalus Books
Imagine sleeping alone on the ground in the wilderness, no tent or sleeping bag. Imagine then waking up to climb a mountain each day. Imagine doing this most nights for four months. Only you're a 67 year old great-grandmother, and no one knows where you are. But wait, there's more: you survived 30 years of a domestic violence while raising 11 children and enduring the back-breaking physical work of farming for a living. Now imagine doing it all over again. Author Ben Montgomery puts his big hear ...more
Carri
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really hard to rate, although the subject, Grandma Gatewood was a very interesting women, I feel like the writer did not do her justice.
Sara
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story, for sure, but I lost interest after awhile. Would have been a perfect long magazine article.
Cynthia Barnett
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year, one book stands out to me as my Christmas gift book of the year, and this is it -- I'm buying Grandma Gatewood for several family members. Read it in one day. A must for anyone who's ever dreamed of hiking the AT, and a compelling biography even if you haven't. Very surprising subject, very well-told by journalist Ben Montgomery.
Annie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INSPIRING.

I first learned about Grandma Gatewood from my dad, with whom I spent half my childhood backpacking throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania (including portions of the Appalachian Trail). Though we never had the chance to hike the Trail together—that will be something I do alone someday—after his recent passing, I landed on this book and had to read it.

Let’s talk about “Grandma Gatewood,” whose real name is Emma Gatewood, a steely woman of contradictions. Like me, she’s from Ohio. As a child
Becky
Recommended for anyone that has a wanderlust for nature, enjoys long walks in the woods, being surrounded by a world bigger than yourself, and just wants to know whats over that next hill.

Not recommended for: the heartless. You would have to be heartless to not love Grandma Gatewood. As for the book itself, if nature disinterests you, and if you are a little cynical you probably could nitpick this book or will just find it boring.

I loved Grandma Gatewood and I loved finding out about her whole a
Tifnie
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
My mother in law gave me this book to read since I enjoyed reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I actually didn't care for Wild because the author didn't emerge from her hike on the PCT a better person, however, after reading about Grandma Gatewood, I felt inspired and a longing to know more of her story.

Grandma Gatewood's Walk is about a 67 year old mother of 11 and grandmother of 23 who one day decides to hike the Appalachian Trail in 1957 (I think it was '57). She was a woman who came from an abus
LindaJ^
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this look at Emma Gatewood, who in 1954 at age 67, was the first solo woman to hike the Appalachian Trail from start to finish in one go. And she did it in tennis shoes (6 pairs of them)! She was indeed a grandma when she did it; in fact, she was a great grandma. The book describes in detail this first hike, relying on Gatewood's own journals. The book provides some background on Gatewood -- she was one of 15 siblings, she had 11 children of her own, and was divorced from her ab ...more
Kathryn
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book was fascinating because it's true. After reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson it is amazing to me that Emma Gatewood could walk the trail 3 times and survive. The abuse she withstood from her husband was very hard to read. She was a remarkable strong individually accomplishing things some of us never even think about.
Bev
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a backpacker. I've hiked several small sections of the Appalachian Trail -- in North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maine -- and definitely had heard of Grandma Gatewood, the first woman to through-hike the AT. So, unsurprisingly, I loved learning more about her in this newly released biography. But of all the AT thru-hiker accounts I've read, this one was probably the most relatable by non-hikers.

Here's why: it's really the story of a woman finding meaning, fulfillment, and independence
Adam Kemp
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just for laughs, a chance to get away, a love of the outdoors, a first chance at free time.
All reasons given by Emma Gatewood when she decided to leave her home in Ohio to "take a walk" and ended up becoming the first woman to thru-hike the 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail.
You get a sense for Granny Gatewood's no-nonsense demeanor in the first few pages as she starts her adventure dressed in dungarees and tennis shoes with a small drawstring sack containing a shower curtain, a warm coat, a pocket
Nyree
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walking
Great story, not great book.
Cheryl
Emma Gatewood decides it’s time to start her bucket list and sets off to hike the Appalachian Trail. Mother of 11, grandmother to 23, and 67 years of age. Telling those left behind she was merely “going for a walk” she implements her years of farming, living off the multiple elements of the land, and basic survival skills, she packs a small sack and begins.

The year was 1955.

This was not your current AP of frequent shelters, food sources, or even fellow hikers. Days alone, sleeping in the wild,
Lesley Looper
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
Wow, what an inspirational story! Emma Gatewood was one determined, strong, independent woman! She had a tough marriage, but came out on the other end, and lived her life the way she wanted. Completing the AT once would be impressive enough, but THREE times?! Simply amazing. I have a new hero.

• Called Again: Love and Triumph on the Appalachian Trail
  • I Promise Not to Suffer: A Fool for Love Hikes the Pacific Crest Trail
  • A Long Trek Home: 4,000 Miles by Boot, Raft and Ski
  • Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
  • Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters
  • Walking Home (The Barefoot Sisters, #2)
  • Stumbling Thru: Hike Your Own Hike
  • In Beauty May She Walk: Hiking the Appalachian Trail at 60
  • Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
  • The Appalachian Trail: Celebrating America's Hiking Trail
  • The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail: A Memoir of Discovery, Endurance and a Lazy Dog
  • Blind Courage: Journey of Faith
  • Breaking Trail: A Climbing Life
  • Walking with Spring: The Story That Inspired Thousands of Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers
  • Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
  • As Far as the Eye Can See: Reflections of an Appalachian Trail Hiker
  • Rowing to Latitude: Journeys Along the Arctic's Edge
Ben grew up in Oklahoma and wanted to be a farmer before he got into journalism at Arkansas Tech University, where he played defensive back for the football team, the Wonder Boys. He worked for the Courier in Russellville, Ark., the Standard-Times in San Angelo, Texas, the Times Herald-Record in New York's Hudson River Valley and the Tampa Tribune before joining the Tampa Bay Times, Florida's bigg ...more
“William Wordsworth was said to have walked 180,000 miles in his lifetime. Charles Dickens captured the ecstasy of near-madness and insomnia in the essay “Night Walks” and once said, “The sum of the whole is this: Walk and be happy; Walk and be healthy.” Robert Louis Stevenson wrote of “the great fellowship of the Open Road” and the “brief but priceless meetings which only trampers know.” Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche said, “Only those thoughts that come by walking have any value.” More recently, writers who knew the benefits of striking out excoriated the apathetic public, over and over again, for its laziness. “Of course, people still walk,” wrote a journalist in Saturday Night magazine in 1912. “That is, they shuffle along on their own pins from the door to the street car or taxi-cab…. But real walking … is as extinct as the dodo.” “They say they haven’t time to walk—and wait fifteen minutes for a bus to carry them an eighth of a mile,” wrote Edmund Lester Pearson in 1925. “They pretend that they are rushed, very busy, very energetic; the fact is, they are lazy. A few quaint persons—boys chiefly—ride bicycles.” 5 likes
“Her chest full of crisp air and inspiration, her feet atop a forgettable mountain where the stars make you feel insignificant and important all at once.
And she sang.”