Start by marking “The Drowning Game” as Want to Read:
The Drowning Game

The Drowning Game

They said she was armed.
They said she was dangerous.
They were right.

Petty Moshen spent eighteen years of her life as a prisoner in her own home, training with military precision for everything, ready for anything. She can disarm, dismember, and kill—and now, for the first time ever, she is free.

Her paranoid father is dead, his extreme dominance and rules a thing of the pasfree.

Her

Published September 22nd 2015 by Witness Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Drowning Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drowning Game

Start your review of The Drowning Game
The Drowning Game is a standalone suspense/thriller written by debut author LS Hawker. I absolutely love kickass heroines, and the main character Petty has been training since the age of three to kick some serious ass. This girl is a one-woman militia in the making, but not because she necessarily wants to be...she truly doesn't know that life can be any different. Petty's upbringing brings “strange and dysfunctional” to a whole other level!

In addition to all her inherent badassery, Petty is also fragile, unce
Nazanin
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Badass Stars

Every community has a weird family and for Saw Pole, the Moshens do the job. Petty (21-year-old) and her father live with each other. they live a secluded life, especially Petty. She has no friends, no contact at all with outside world. Even her father home-schooled her and every night he locked her in her room. until Petty found her dead dad in his room.

"I was going to cry, and I couldn’t decide whether I was sad that Dad was gone or elated that I was finally going t/>"I
Lee
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An exceptional debut novel from L.S Hawker although I found it a little slow to begin with. Once it got going I found it hard to put down. There is so much going on here, twists, turns, secrets, deception and the suspence will keep you enthralled till the end. Just when you think you have an idea what is going on you find out you are wrong, a brilliant story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Kelly MacIver
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy from Edelweiss for honest review. Fantastic fast pace. There was just enough discomfort to add to the suspense, without being overwhelming. I always appreciate not knowing where the plot will lead next, and this was very much true for The Drowning Game. As it unfolded there were definite signs that not everything was as it seemed, but I was kept guessing as to how it all would end. I read this over the course of two days and couldn't put it down. Trying not to get specif ...more
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to tell everyone something here. This book deserves 100 stars, I try not to just give 5 stars out unless I am sure that everything in my opinion really is top notch. The writing style, the emotives that the author brings out in me the reader, the plot, the ending, the characters, setting matters to me too and how it is conveyed, I dont like a lot of atmosphere, so I look for books that are not overly descriptive in nature, ect. This book was FANTASTICALLY MAGNIFIQUE!
Its everythi
Ozsaur
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
The writing style was good. The characters were good. The plot had me on the edge of my seat. Best of all was a mystery I didn't have the whole thing figured out before the end.
(view spoiler) ...more
Nycki Heisler
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I opened this up on my Kindle app to read the first chapter before bed, and the next thing I knew it was 3:30 am and I had read the whole thing! It was such a page turner, I just couldn't find a good place to stop. The characters are fascinating and complex, as the ideas of what constitutes family, how family affects us, and how they try to protect and control us are all examined while you're on a thrilling ride across the heartland in search of answers to the mysteries that keep unfolding!
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
REVIEW: THE DROWNING GAME by LS Hawker

An exceptional debut novel, THE DROWNING GAME is an incredibly visceral story not for the emotionally faint-hearted. I engaged so closely with the young narrator, Petty, that reading was difficult. Kudos to the author on that, because she made me feel as if I lived the events. Whenever Petty howled, I wanted to howl also. When she yearned for freedom and plotted escape, so did I. Days later, I still can't shake the emotions elicited by this novel
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

4 1/2 stars

I saw this book mentioned during a book meme, I was intrigued and downloaded it. Sometimes the best books are the one's you know nothing about outside of the summary. I want to just say read it, there is something for all, especially the thriller, mystery fans but I think this is perfect for the YA fans that want to get into thrillers. I was captivated and didn't want to go to sleep nights and even bought it to work, which I never do, I just couldn't get enoug
Peggy
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In such a short time this book was completed... and I want more...lol. I feel like maybe this could be a series, mini series, or something. It's really that good! Page turner! Intriguing! Well written! Realistic feel! Sucks you in!! Yep all that in one book!

*Received for an honest review*
Tammy Krestel
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
All these 5 star reviews seem to conveniently forget the ridiculous will.

The book was interesting but the will was so.ludicrous I just couldn't get past it for the rest of the book. I get that he was trying to protect her but that was too extreme and cruel to believe.
Shan
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pageturners
Buckle up and enjoy the ride! Very good book that will keep you on the edge of your seat!
☕️Kimberly
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tale opens when we meet Petty Moshen at home with her Dad. From the onset, we realize Petty’s life is a tad strange. When her father dies in his sleep, we begin a journey as Petty tries to outwit her dominant, controlling and paranoid father.

I loved trying to figure out whether or not Petty’s Dad was crazy or if he had reason. We learn Petty slept with dead bolts on the outside of her bedroom door and that her father trained her with military precision. For her it is pure instinc
Once
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Drowning Game can be easily explained as genius. We follow a girl, Petty, through an INSANE journey of uncovering the truth about her past and who she is. Has she been kidnapped and held captive her whole life or just protected from danger?

I can honestly say I have never been taken aback by SO MANY shocking twists and turns in a book. LS Hawker keeps you hooked and wide-eyed. Petty was so easy to like, as was Dekker. We get both of their point of views! Secondary characters are a
Cindy O
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lauren
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, mark me down as yet another that blew through this amazing story in one sitting. This chilling story draws you in and does not disappoint. Every twist and turn gives you another piece of the puzzle, except that with every new piece you realize that you must be working on a puzzle of The Beatles' White Album because you really haven't actually put anything together yet. The story is mystifying and captivating, with characters that do not disappoint. Hawker's writing is brilliant and vivid w ...more
Abi
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel by LS Hawker

This was a great read! I never expected to like the book so much. Petty was a well-established character, powerful and yet so fragile. The dialogues are good, funny and believable. The story made me teary-eyed a couple of times, and ....I loved this book!!
Maura Jortner
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! I couldn't put it down. I literally pissed my family off because I had my nose stuck in it (instead of attending to them) the whole time I read it.
Jordan
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very engaging, interesting story. Well written, I did not want to put it down.
Susan W
A good first novel, with some tweaks and maturing the second one will be even better.
Ann L.
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction, ebooks
This has got to be one of my favorite top ten books for 2017 so far!! I don't know why more people haven't read it, but I simply cannot state enough how everyone should! It was thrilling, exciting, adventuresome, suspenseful and action packed. I loved it.

Although I knew the twist at the end, I still loved the story line! I shall read more stories from this author!

The main character is a badass girl who knows how to use guns and knives, beat up bad men and is in athletic shape. She w
Abbey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book. I needed a break from the deep historical fiction I was reading and this was enjoyable.
Pat
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book but it was one where I couldn't suspend my disbelief sufficiently to love it.

Petty Moshen is 21 when her father dies. He has kept her a virtual prisoner all her life teaching her combat and survival skills. When the will is read she discovers that she is expected to marry a man called Randy King to claim her inheritance. Randy will keep her safe, her father reckons, despite the fact that Petty could easily put Randy in a neck brace, or worse.

Petty do
Kim (Bookishly Me)
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, review-pile
The Drowning Game was most definately a very intriging read. Eventhough the story starts of with quite an opening it does start of a bit slow and it made me wonder a bit how the story would evolve since it was quite an odd start.

It is also most definately not for the faint hearted. Once the story starts making a bit more sense it is nearly impossible to put it down. There are a lot of twists and plots during the story and it is a guessing game what will happen right up until the end.
Andrea
A Thrilling Ride

My cousin recommended this book and author last Christmas (I think their acquaintances). Honestly, I bought The Drowning Game to be polite and because the price was right. Many months later I was in the mood to read something truly suspenseful and happened to come back across The Drowning Game. WELL. This is some book!

The Drowning Game opens with a death, then of learning the lead, Petty Moshen, is an isolated young woman who makes Katniss Everdeen seem warm-natured and laz
Scott Sanders
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a world where Amy Dunnes and Megan Hipwells have dominated the world of thrillers and suspense it is refreshing to find a protagonist you can root for!
The Drowning Game's Petty Moshen is a badass heroine. Her skills are delightful to ponder. It was delicious to kick ass along with her. The prose made her abilities and training come to life. But at the same time she is vulnerable, innocent, fragile and dare i say, likable.

If there is one criticism of the book is that the seco
Aubrey
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected surprise

I haven't had the best luck with the cheaper books I have found on here, so I was a little wary of this one. I am very glad I gave it a chance. This book grabs you from the beginning and keeps you guessing. It is very different from the thrillers I am used to reading, but in a good way. Reading this was like watching a movie. It's hard to explain, but this book had a very unique feel to it that I loved. I was able to fully empathize with the main characters and feel everythin
Judy Churchill
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Not exactly a literary work of art but a book with a unique plot. Bizarre, frightening and with a well carried out theme, a dad became a personal survivalist to keep his daughter safe from the man who killed her mother. As luck would have it, her search for family after her father died led her right to the crazy man. She used all of her survivalist training to get away from this demon. It was an entertaining book.
Marianne
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Hmm. I'll be honest, I had a pretty major WTF moment at the start of this one. I found myself wondering if the story took place in a horrible dystopian future. It doesn't, but there is a pretty major level of screwed up with the characters in this book. BUT Petty does kick some major ass, and it all comes together.
Selena Stark
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was phenomenal. I usually don't write reviews, but this book captured me from the first page until the last. I couldn't put it down. Every time I thought I had the mystery figured out, another mind-blowing clue would unfold. Do yourself a favor and pick up The Drowning Game..you won't regret it.
Goodreads Librari...: Author name written wrong - can't combine 4 27 Jan 29, 2017 11:37PM

• Dead Man's Curve (Cal Murphy #5)
  • What She Saw
  • Flight of the Crow (Tony Crow Mystery, #1)
  • Who Killed Anne-Marie?
  • An Eye for an Eye
  • The Society
  • Braving the Storm (The Storm #1)
  • Even (Ham #2)
  • The Helm of Darkness (The Horizon Chronicles #2)
  • She's Not There (Peacock & Rayburn, #1)
  • The Piper (CASMIRC, #2)
  • The Lost Child
  • The City of Flame and Shadow (The Horizon Chronicles #3)
  • Dying for a Donut (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #5)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • The Liar's Wife
  • The Invisible Wife (Lee Callaway #4)
  • The Summer Before the Dark
LS Hawker grew up in suburban Denver, indulging her worrisome obsession with true-crime books, and writing stories about anthropomorphic fruit and juvenile delinquents. She wrote her first novel at 14.

Armed with a B.S. in journalism from the University of Kansas, she had a radio show called “People Are So Stupid,” edited a trade magazine, and worked as a traveling Kmart portrait photog
“He's a moron being an asshole. You don't shoot people for being assholes, or the human race would be extinct.” 2 likes
“I’m going to look so emo,” Dekker said. I actually started to wonder if they were keeping me here on purpose, that they’d called the cops themselves to get the Crimestopper money. But remembering the car collection in the barn and looking around this beautiful house, I realized my faulty” 1 likes