Start by marking “Tuki and Moka: A Tale of Two Tamarins” as Want to Read:
Tuki and Moka: A Tale of Two Tamarins

Tuki and Moka: A Tale of Two Tamarins

(Tales of the World)

Eduardo and his family live in a small town in Ecuador, not far from the Amazon rainforest. The rainforest is an important part of their lives. Each month Eduardo and his father travel by river from their town to the rainforest. There, using just a basket and a machete, they gather Brazil nuts. They are castañeros and this is how they earn their living. But the rainforest ...more
Published December 5th 2013 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Tuki and Moka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuki and Moka

Start your review of Tuki and Moka: A Tale of Two Tamarins
Kristine Hansen
When I picked up this book I didn't know what to expect. It seemed like a story about a boy with a couple animal friends in the rainforest. I didn't expect to dig into the world of illegal animal trafficking. The story was packed with information (too much given as an info dump, especially in dialogue. For this it lost a star), lots of animals, information about Brazil nuts that I never knew and looked up to see for myself just how big these pods were, and action adventure.

I wound up enjoying
Renie Pemberton
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exciting and educational

This is one of the best books we've read about rain forests. The story is engaging and teaches a little about rain forest animals while introducing children to some of the threats people pose to the rain forest as well as the livelihood of the native people. Unlike other books I've seen, this one is not too didactic and has a plot children will care about. It sparked my 7-year-old's interest in what people can do to help rain forest animals. I will look for other books by
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, read-alouds
This book set in the Ecuadorian rain forest was a captivating story of a boy named Eduardo and his two tamarin friends, Tuki and Moka. It takes you into the world of a nut gatherer as you travel into the rainforest collecting Brazil nuts. But the most fascinating part is learning about the threat of animal poachers and seeing how Eduardo helps the animals that have become so important to him.
Barbara
When Eduardo realizes that Tuki and Moka, two tamarins who often watch as he and his father harvest Brazil nuts from the Amazon rainforest are missing, he determines to find them. Luckily, he rescues them from the market where they have been hidden by poachers who have plundered the rain forest's resources and plan to sell the tamarins and birds they have captured. It's good to see a youngster taking a stand for something that matters although I'm not sure it would be so easy to thwart the ...more
Summer
Good about addressing the issues of animal trafficking and explaining how harmful this can be... the protagonist needs a little more backbone though, and I wish he would have freed all the animals...

(view spoiler)
Steve_sonderman
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tuki and Moka takes a cultural look at the world of illegal animal trafficking. A young boy named Eduardo encounters poachers that try to make money off of selling exotic species. Tuki and Moka are two tamarins that Eduardo wishes to protect. The book does a good job of introducing a different culture. It also introduces the topic of animal trafficking in an appropriate way for children.
Peacegal
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
This is a fine humane education choice that teaches about the people and environment of the Brazilian rain forest, as well as the increasingly dire subject of animal trafficking. The illegal trade in wildlife and their parts is bested only by the illegal trades in drugs and weapons. Pretty incredible, and if we are ever to stop it, we must teach future generations about what's going on.
Jodie
Eduardo goes into Ecaudor's rainforest to collect Brazil nuts with his father. Two tamarins keep him company, until one day they are not there. This story lets readers see the importance of the rain forest and also shows animal poachers.
Michelle
Jessi
Dec 23, 2013
April Wells
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and it's a good read for children who want to know about different cultures. This story takes place in Ecuador and teaches children about the interconnection of the Rainforest to the rest of the world, Indigenous life, and it also touches on animal trafficking.
Amy-Lynn
Stacy
Feb 12, 2014
Jane Humane
Mar 05, 2014
Judy Young is the author of several children's fiction, nonfiction and poetry books. Judy's "R is for Rhyme, A Poetry Alphabet" is the 2008 Mom's Choice Gold Recipient! Judy specializes in school visits and educational conferences. To learn about her presentations and writing workshops go to

Tales of the World (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Gift of the Inuksuk (Tales of the World)
  • Yatandou (Tales of the World)
  • Yuki and the One Thousand Carriers