Start by marking “Metal Gear Solid (Boss Fight Books, #9)” as Want to Read:
Metal Gear Solid (Boss Fight Books, #9)

Metal Gear Solid (Boss Fight Books #9)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
efore they co-created the hit web series Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?, before Anthony was lead writer of Borderlands 2, before Ashly lent her voice to Saints Row IV, Towerfall, and Adventure Time—Ashly and Anthony Burch were just a brother and sister who shared a weird obsession with Solid Snake and his 3D debut, Metal Gear Solid (1998).

And why wouldn't they? Hideo Kojima's a
Published August 17th 2015 by Boss Fight Books

To ask other readers questions about Metal Gear Solid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Gear Solid

Peter Derk
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Soooo many complicated emotions about this book. Or thoughts, perhaps.

For starters, this is not the BFB title to read if you're not at least fairly familiar with Metal Gear Solid. Of all the books, this one probably spends the least time laying out the plot and gameplay in a linear way. Which is fitting considering that the game is goddamn bonkers, but I still think this would be somewhat of a difficule read if you hadn't played the game.

Oh, and DO NOT read the pdf version. The footnotes all get
Jamie Gaughran-Perez
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this was my fave Boss Fight book yet -- and that's saying a lot. It was a rip-roaring survey of a lot of the things we wrestle with when we talk seriously about games these days as culture and art and just plain fun. Breeze through the self-congratulatory moments -- we're all human. I certainly look forward to diving in on their web series after reading this. I'll be passing my copy along to friends.
Alex Camilleri
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of Kojima's work, I very much enjoyed reading this book. I really appreciated the pace and how personal the writing felt. The critique is absolutely fair and relevant.
Caleb Ross
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Earthbound book review
Click the image above to watch the video review.

I like books. I like video games. I like mashing them together like potatoes....potatoes against the bottom of a bowl. You can’t just mash two potatoes together to get mashed potatoes. That’s cumbersome, messy, and questionably effective. The bowl is necessary. Otherwise, you’re probably just puppeteering a violent potato orgy.

The latest potato-on-bowl experience I've had is this, Metal Gear Solid from Boss Fight Books, written by Ashly Burch and
Tim
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So like most of the books in this series, I've never played Metal Gear Solid. Oh, I saw some of it at friend's houses, and I've been exposed to it via cultural osmosis, but I've never played it.

And I don't think the book suffered for it. I think this is the best written of the BFB I've read. That may be a little unfair to the other authors because this is just the funniest book in the series, the Burches are funny and the book has them trading off writing sections and footnotes which works well.
Stephen
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll let the following passage speak for itself.

"""
[...]This scene is objectifying. It's sexist. It undermines the game's attempts to characterize Meryl as a smart, tough, self-possessed woman. It's also, infuriatingly, one of the only interesting gameplay twists in the series. Where many of the game's one-off challenges ask the player to disregard all of the stealth mechanics upon which the game is based, the Butt Mission encourages the player to gain a deeper understanding of enemy patrols, vi
Stuart Hodge
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good and entertaining analysis of one of my favourite games. The Burches played Metal Gear Solid at a similar age to me and my brother, and the way they spoke about the game and the joy of discovering a video game that was more than facile in its narrative ambition rings very true to me. I would have liked a bit more context, placing MGS more firmly in its time, and some more elucidation of some of the arguments would have been good- some are skipped over too quickly- but all in all a good pie ...more
Katie
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I have never been interested in Metal Gear. To be honest, I am still not. My husband is, however, a fan. And I think he was a bit tired of my snarking cutscenes, etc from the games, if he happened to play one while I was home. So he suggested I read this.

I love when fans of a creative work of any kind can appreciate the work for what it is and the impact it has...and still rip it to shreds. The authors definitely love Metal Gear, and it shows, but it isn't on a pedestal. And that made their comm
Bene
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Está interesante como desmenuza todos los protagonistas del juego y todos los problemas, pero no añade más. Una lectura que parece más un artículo de un blog que un libro.
Tom Peeters
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, since it discusses one of my favorite games of all times, alas, the book is filled with SJW views. You're constantly bombarded with 'oh that's racist and sexist'. It doesn't see Metal Gear Solid is it really is, a pastiche of 80s action movies with a gruff and cynical/stoical protagonist (I mean, the main character is literally based off of Snake Plissken).

If we follow the author's reasoning, each and every video game hero needs to be some kind of virtuous soldier who
Erry
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
I really enjoyed this addition to BFB, but I'm going to admit I'm biased: I love Ashly and Anthony, and all their antics. I've never seen footnotes used so creatively, every single one was playful or revealing and an absolute delight (more of this in creative non-fiction, please). The main reason for my love of this book is the reiteration of the fact that you can love something and still analyse it, that it can be both brilliant and flawed, even when viewed through a nostalgic lens.

This sentim
Cian Rice
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Speaking more to how the MGS influenced them, the Burch siblings each hit upon points I found incredibly relatable. At one point Ashley recalls how something clicked for her - acting, and specifically in regard MGS, voice acting. Anthony talks about how how Kojima has a sense of sincerity and how as an adult Anthony differs from the youth who loved that storytelling (relating to how the team at Gearbox handled moments in Borderlines 2) but as an adult he likely wo ...more
Margaret Sankey
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Another in a great series, this is a brother and sister duo who grew up playing the game, then went into the industry as writers, game developers and voice actors--the deliberate mix of perspective, especially comparing their 10 year old selves to now, is a fascinating window into how the mentality of one person, like the game's developer Kojima, can produce something that has both long disquisitions on nuclear deterrence as well as a game mechanic to jiggle a character's boobs.
Jan Martinek
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is SO good: „They grew up, but their all-time fav game did not.“

Scorching criticism written with love, incl. loads of self-reflection. Plus lot of fun, as it's cheerfully written by two siblings, formerly glued to their PSX, aged 8 and 10. I'd recommend this even to the people with minimal knowledge of MGS.
Jordi de Paco
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars because for me it's been super stimulating. Metal Gear Solid it's my favourite game ever... And to read two people who love the game as much as me shitting all over and pointing out many of its issues has been a super constructive experience, truly mind opener. Plus the authors' writing is super amusing. I loved it.
José Joel
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Rather that a deep look into the game like the excellent Spelunky book of this series, this book frequently interrupts a fun conversation about the game series to derail into personal anecdotes of the writer, feeling like half a memoir of the author and half metal gear. At times clever and deep, but at another times making confusing observations that hardly have anything to do with the game series.

Still, fun if bought for a cheap price, but fans of the series wont learn much new reading this.
Brian
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is what I've always wanted Boss Fight Books to be. Most of the ones I've read are biographical, taking the game and relating it to the author's life. But usually I don't know who the author is, and by the end of the book I frequently haven't attained the desire to care. It was the game that drew me to read it, after all.

Metal Gear Solid is media criticism about the game Metal Gear Solid, and a lot of it comes down to butts.

I've never played Metal Gear Solid, but I have played Metal Gear So
Fábio Galdino
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Já amo Ashly e Anthony de paixão, então não pensei duas vezes quando fiquei sabendo que eles tinham escrito um livro contando suas experiências pessoais e fazendo uma análise de Metal Gear Solid. O que Anita Sarkeesian fala sobre ser possível amar um produto ao mesmo tempo que você critica suas falhas é bem válido aqui. Eles contam como cresceram com a série, ficaram mais próximos por causa dela, ao mesmo tempo que criticam a forma como Kojima conta a história, como trata horrivelmente as mulher ...more
Jakub
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful book for any MGS fan. I had fun reading the story of two kids who had had similar experience with MGS1 as I had. While I don't agree with all of the expressed opinions, a lot of them were spot on. The only nitpick I have is the fact that this book doesn't really talk as much about later games as it could.
Zac Colley
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
kinda wanted something with more background to the game itself where as this was more of a analysis based on the authors personal perspective, was still cool though. also too many useless footnotes sorry
Brian
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
An amusing read. Sort of trails off towards the end as it provides analyses of each individual character. Reading this made me realize that Metal Gear Solid, as ridiculous as it is, remains probably the richest text in gaming.
Larakaa
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, rushed through it the first time, then read it again. so many true words, so many memories, so good in its deconstruction but still remaining fan.

FYI: I made a short video about it (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEItW...
Phil
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting look at Metal Gear Solid and its various issues. However, loses a star due to the ridiculous overuse of footnotes. Seriously, they're constantly throwing them in and it soon gets tiresome and really impacts the flow of the writing.
Adan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A funny, insightful critique and commentary of the first Metal Gear Solid game for the PS1, including story, themes, and gameplay. You will quickly realize that no matter how much you love the game, it actually wasn't that great a game. I still love it.
Thomas Maluck
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gaming
Great commentary on a classic game; grateful that the Burches' honest critique of the game's story didn't overshadow appreciating its genuinely exciting/overwhelming aspects for the generation that grew up on it. A great example of analyzing a game with clear eyes without berating it or its fans.
Aaron Burch
I think I've read all (?) the BFB books, but have actually played very few of the games. This maybe felt the most reliant yet on preexisting familiarity, or even of love for, the game. I'd be curious to hear from others who also hadn't played any Metal Gears?
Paul
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great critique of the game, but heavily relies on the reader having played the game. Somehow manages to capture HAWP style dialogue in writing.
Adam
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice deconstruction of a popular 90's video game.

Possibly only worth it if the game holds meaning to you.

Footnotes are exhausting.
Alex
Feb 03, 2016
Nick Atkins
Aug 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Boss Fight Books (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
  • Chrono Trigger (Boss Fight Books, #2)
  • ZZT (Boss Fight Books, #3)
  • Galaga (Boss Fight Books, #4)
  • Jagged Alliance 2 (Boss Fight Books, #5)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Boss Fight Books, #6)
  • Bible Adventures (Boss Fight Books, #7)
  • Baldur's Gate II (Boss Fight Books, #8)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (Boss Fight Books, #10)
  • Spelunky (Boss Fight Books, #11)
“Also somebody probably wrote, ‘They’re going to kill us’ on the wall with their own blood.” 0 likes