Start by marking “Stiger's Tigers (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stiger's Tigers (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Stiger's Tigers

(Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer #1)

A nobleman from an infamous family, imperial legionary officer, fighter and a right proper bastard of a man… Captain Ben Stiger finds himself reassigned from a crack legion to the rebellion simmering in the South. Placed in command of a truly terrible company,
Paperback, First , 310 pages
Published June 16th 2015 by Telemachus Press, LLC (first published March 23rd 2015)

Start your review of Stiger's Tigers (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #1)
HBalikov
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
"He wasn’t interested in glory or fame. Stiger was simply intent on doing his duty to the empire. With duty came honor. To Stiger, nothing was more important."

If you have been “into” FRP; if you enjoy novels of military adventure; you can add Edelheit’s Imperial Legionary saga to your list.

"The tension and anxiety he felt were not over his own safety. He worried that they would be discovered before the assault began. He worried that he would make a mistake in leading them in and he would lose m
Tosh
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well-written, interesting start to the series.

What I liked most were the military elements. I believe this is where the book really shines. The author’s bio describes him as somewhat of a history buff. I don’t know very much about Roman legions, but the descriptions and actions of the characters were believable, and the author seemed to have a good grasp on military training and expectations.

There were some small issues that took away from the experience though. First, the author explained too m
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, fantasy
Welll huh...a good book.

What we got here is a sort of historical fiction/fantasy book. We're looking at a world with a version of the Roman Legionnaires facing off with the barbarians at the edges of the Empire. We seem to be nearing the end of the Empire's life. Our hero (Stiger) is from a leading family but has a kind of black mark against his name (so to speak).

The story here is of him taking a slovenly, undisciplined group of legionnaires and turning them completely around.

I liked this one.
David Estes
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stiger's Tigers is an impressive debut novel from Marc Alan Edelheit. From page one I was transported into his fantasy world of elves, humans, and magic, where I immediately felt connected to the main character, Captain Stiger, who is a no-nonsense honorable soldier determined to whip a lazy group of men into fighting shape. This book is well-edited and is written in a very straight-forward fashion, which suits the nature of the protagonist. Although I would've liked a little more action, I was ...more
Trevor Sherman
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the idea of adding traditional "Fantasy" elements in to a story about a Roman solder. But after just a few chapters I realized it is more of traditional fantasy story with just a bit of "Roman" elements added in. But if you don't over think it, it is an enjoyable and fast paced read. It is a pretty short book though I finished book 1 in just a few hours and am about half way done with book 2 all in 1 day. ...more
The Shayne-Train
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very readable and enjoyable start to a series, blending Ancient Rome-ish vibes with just a few tablespoons of fantasy & magic. At its heart, it's a "tough commander whips a ragtag bunch of misfits into the best group ever" story, and I'm such a sucker for those.

I'm not even taking my usual other-book-between-books-in-a-series as a palette cleanser. Nope, onto book two. Boom.
Jen
Aug 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, first-reads
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Stiger is a Captain in an Imperial Army tasked with resupplying an outpost while retraining and preparing his newly assigned company men. He has the help of his friend, Eli'Far, and elf with pointed teeth.

The main story sounds interesting and exciting, an army with elves, the possibility of magic, wizards, and and other fantastical things. I was so pumped to read this, but I found it a huge letdown.

The biggest problem is the plot - there isn't one -
Daniel Schwabauer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
If Bernard Cornwell wrote a D&D campaign about a legionary.

I wanted to like this more, but the ending and the fantasy elements didn’t work for me. The buildup of the first couple hundred pages just didn’t have enough of a payoff, and the main character, Stiger, plays too small a role in the resolution. The opening felt like a transplanted Richard Sharpe Story, and the ending like a summary of someone’s RPG weekend.

That said, the story was short and entertaining, and I didn’t feel like giving up
Nikki
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever read a book and know before you finish that you are in for the long haul. If the author wants to write 25 books into the series I will read them. If every side character gets a series of his own I'm there. If this epic adventure takes on truly epic proportions I am ok with that. It wasn't perfect. I haven't come across a perfect book yet. However, it was enough to get the hooks into me. Stiger is a classic hero who isn't seeking glory. He just wants to live a useful life and uphold the hono ...more
Pamela
Aug 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Listened to this one within a 24 hour period, Excellent!!
On to "The Tiger".
LJ Waguespack
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, Raw, Driven. One man's account, Lieutenant Stiger, of the extraordinary events occurring in the life of a soldier in the imperial legions. A fascinating book, an intriguing book one in a series I absolutely must continue. The pace is steady as the world building is done, but with just enough emphasis on the events occurring, as setting the stage for much, much more to come. I am finding, I am enjoying the anticipation, as much as the intensity of the character building. Quite promising a ...more
Randy Harmelink
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another book by this author that I had trouble putting down. A book of this length usually takes me a week to read, instead of just 2 days. I was expecting historical fiction, but it does have fantasy elements like elves and dwarves. No romance, which surprised me.
Chompa
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
An odd mix. Something similar to the Roman Legion soldiers with a smattering of fantasy. The main character, Stiger is a competent, but proud noble from an infamous family. He is accompanied by an elf ranger, who serves him for some unknown reason.

Tasked with leading a group of slovenly legionnaires, Stiger whips them into shape and goes on a mission to deliver supplies to a site far from the Legion camp.

All in all, a good story. It is a bit slow at times, but solid read. I'll be checking out
Pamela Aidan
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, action packed fantasy combining ancient Rome, Middle Earth fantasy, and interesting spiritual currents. This first in a series and several spin-off ones is a bit rocky as it begins world-building, but the pace leaves little time or details for reflection. Looking forward to seeing this fleshed out as the hero continues toward his destiny.
Riayl
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, military
Really enjoyed this, can't wait to read the next. Think, Romans with elves and dwarves and a bit of magic. The first book is about Stiger (and Eli, the elf!), building the troop into a cohesive, effective, and self-confident fighting unit, then embarking on their first mission. While the set-up for the next book is obvious at the end, it wrapped up in such a way that I am both eager for the next story but not left with that irritated "the author has left me hanging" feeling. (Still impatient for ...more
Black Fox Book Review
Title: Stiger's Tigers
Author: Marc Alan Edelheit
Genre: Fantasy, Military
Publication Date: March 23, 2015
Publisher: Telemachus Press, LLC
Pages: 315

Amazon Book Blurb:

The empire has endured many centuries but is now threatened by multiple wars and a major rebellion in the South. A nobleman from an infamous family, imperial legionary officer, fighter and a right proper bastard of a man… Captain Ben Stiger finds himself reassigned from a crack legion to the rebellion simmering in the South. Placed
James Maxon
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed by this one. A mixture between military and fantasy? Sounded interesting. I enjoyed the beginning and looked forward to watching Stiger get his rabble of a unit into shape. While he did, it was done at a narrative distance. I wanted to experience the men improving, especially the one (view spoiler). Instead, the story focused on the higher ranking officers, only passing over the troops in narrative here and there. In fact, that wa ...more
Ky
May 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into Stiger's Tigers actually expecting a Roman novel, what I got instead was a mix of military fantasy and epic fantasy that had some Roman sprinkled in, but a decent bit of a high fantasy identity too. I enjoyed the characters in this book, I especially enjoy that Stiger is a bit of a hard captain, when I read him I imagine it's what the Black Company would have been like if we got to read from the Captain's POV in the first book rather than Croaker's. The military elements really did i ...more
GaiusPrimus
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, fantasy
Wow! I've always enjoyed military fiction but I think this is my first foray into a pure military fantasy.

Legionaries, elves, paladins and magic!

I believe that this is the author's first book and while the mistakes you normally see on first novels is present, they are definitely few and far between. The story is really well put together and everything makes sense.

If you are into that kind of genre, pick this up. You will not be disappointed.

On to book 2.
Alasdair
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book thinking it just a roman legion historical fiction romp. So you could say I was surprised at the sudden appearance of an elf. But this book gets the balance between the two really spot of. It doesn't lean too much on the ooohhhohoh magic side of the things and spends a lot of time grounded in the day to day running of a legion, which is what I was hoping for.

I am looking forward to getting into the next instalment.
Alysa H.
Pseudo-Roman historical military fantasy fun!
J.R. Handley
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary:
First, let me say that none of what I’ll say in this section couldn’t be found on the back copy of the novel. Heck, I cribbed this summary from the back, and then I add my own twist! And not even much of one, since most of the books I read have kick butt descriptions (aka blurbs). If the blurb doesn’t catch my eye, then I tend to skip the book unless a friend recommends it. Generally speaking, my goal is to provide a spoiler-free review, so here goes nothing!

In this fantastical militar
Douglas Debner
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I read all 5 books in the "Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer" series at once which means:

1. Read the "Tales of the Seventh" and possibly "The Karus Saga" first. "Tales of the Seventh" I would say absolutely read first because those are prequels involving the same MC, Ben Stiger, and almost certainly worth the read. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to get interested in "Tales of the Seventh" since I already knew where the story was going. "The Karus Saga" is a prequel that takes pl
Arve Kvaloy
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick read and exiting, as long as it is read as a high not historical fantasy. I struggeled in the beginning with a "roman" army using sergeant, lieutentant and captain, instead of the proper roman officers rank, but then i discovered elfs and dwarfes and paladins as well...

I think the novel would have benefited from distancing itself a bit more from the roman legacy and played the pure fantasy card sooner. It began as a historical fantasy, but it turned out to be a high fantasy read with som
Kendra
So, I won the third book - The Tiger's Fate - from the author back in August, and then checked to find out if it really needed to be read in order and was advised that it was better to do that. Had to wait for a splurge, and picked up this book and the 2nd book - The Tiger. My apologies to the author for the delay in review. Reviews to come on those.

Really impressed with this book, it was easy to slide in too, and I wanted to stay in it so badly! Unfortunately, life doesn't really let you, so i
John Nellis
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked the Roman Legion feel of the story. I felt it made for a unique fantasy setting. Really liked getting to know Stiger, his friend Eli the elf, and his legionaries. I plan on continuing with the series, and finding out what happens next.
RayMclean86
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great plot about a small company in a Roman based high fantasy world. Can't wait to read the next one! ...more
George
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some people may like this book.
There are people who like fantasy stories with somewhat recognizable settings, and they may get that from this book. I went in expecting more flavor of the Roman empire, given that the book is ostensibly about Roman legions, but I got none of that.
Among the problems that I had with the story are that, while the author talked about the legion, and the empire, there is no recognition of the culture of Rome.
The military ranks in the book are not part of the Roman mili
Caleb Courtney
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
The book was good. If it weren't for one or two characters, I would almost not think of this as fantasy at all. It reads more like a historical fiction set in the Roman Empire. Right up until the last 15-20% of the book, when it kicks the magic into high gear.

What I loved:
- Felt like the author really knew his stuff. I'm not a history buff myself, but I believed the corruption of the system (still looking at you, Rome) and the duties of men in the imperial legion.
- Magic system wasn't in-your-
Richelle
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: 5 Stars

I have been meaning to read this book for a while now, but used the cold rainy days of this week here in the Pacific Northwest to curl up with my Kindle. This book was on Kindle Unlimited, so it was a quick download with no extra charge. (I did have to return some books, though, to free up space. My TBR pile is always so large.

I liked that this book had a different take on fantasy, in that instead of the typical medieval backdrop, it was Roman Legionnaires. The author appe

• The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)
  • Sentenced to War (Sentenced to War #1)
  • Foothold For A Loner (Brigadier General #1)
  • Assassin (Darkblade, #1)
  • Wayward Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle, #2)
  • Brutal Diplomacy (Clay Warrior Stories #5)
  • Fatal Obligation (Clay Warrior Stories #7)
  • Forgotten Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle, #1)
  • Infinite Courage (Clay Warrior Stories #8)
  • Reluctant Siege (Clay Warrior Stories #4)
  • Forgotten Ruin (Forgotten Ruin #1)
  • Deceptive Valor (Clay Warrior Stories #9)
  • Sailing East (Arturo Sandus Book 5)
  • Neptune's Fury (Clay Warrior Stories #10)
  • Fire Density (Brigadier General #2)
  • Unjust Sacrifice (Clay Warrior Stories #11)
  • Bloody Water (Clay Warrior Stories #3)
  • Fortune Reigns (Clay Warrior Stories #6)
Best selling author Marc Edelheit has a Bachelor’s in Science and Masters in Education and Administration. He has traveled the world, from Asia to Europe, at one point crossing the border at Check Point Charlie in Berlin toward the end of the Cold War.

Marc is the ultimate history fan and incorporates much of that passion into his work to bring greater realism to his fans. He is also an avid reade

Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer (6 books)
  • The Tiger (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #2)
  • The Tiger's Fate (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #3)
  • The Tiger's Time (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer #4)
  • The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)
  • The Tiger’s Imperium (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #6)