Start by marking “The Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)

The Knights of Crystallia

(Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians #3)

Published April 19th 2016 by Starscape (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Knights of Crystallia, please sign up.

Start your review of The Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
Gene
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Alcatraz finally got to visit his mysterious native land. What was supposed to be a time of quiet and peace turned exciting deadly even before the poor guy stepped on the said land: his air vehicle was blown from the sky. Excitement followed the hero even when he met his (unfailingly very quirky) relatives and meddled in local politics. At least with the latter case everybody knows politics is supposed to be deadly, mystical land or not. Horror of horrors, Alcatraz might have to ask a librarian ...more
Patrick
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A good continuation of the series, just as strong as the first two. The book brings in new elements to keep things fresh, while staying close enough to the original elements so that it remains familiar and satisfying.

One of the elements I enjoy about these books is the active-narrator-telling-you-a-story thing. There's a lot of discussion about what makes a story, and what the author is doing in order to manipulate the reader. Obviously that's close to my heart, as I do the same thing in my boo
Choko
*** 4.65 ***

A buddy read with the addicted to Brandon Sanderson's genius and humor!!! We are all 13 year old when we read this series:):):)

".....Unfortunately, I know that some of you Hushlanders have trouble counting to three. (The Librarian-controlled schools don't want you to be able to manage complex mathematics.)

This obvious explanation of our terrible mathematical abilities is the reason I had to re-check several times to make sure I was reading the right book in order... I had already go
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Alcatraz is still breaking things!

Alcatraz, Bastille and his grandfather travel to the Free Kingdoms and the city of Nalhalla, the Smedry homeland only to find the counsel of kings is about to sign a treaty with the Evil Librarians. Bad idea!

As with the other books in the series, there is narration by the author throughout. Most of it funny. The book is a quick read and intended for younger readers. It is entertaining and fun to read. If you are a parent and read books with your kids, this is a

Helen 2.0
3.5 - I don't have much to say about this one except that I'm starting to believe Alcatraz when he claims he's not a hero.

I kept track of Grandpa Smedry's author-related exclamations in the Knights of Crystallia. Here they are for your entertainment. (I'm sure my buddies at BB&B will fill in the blanks if I missed any).
"Rotating Rothfusses! You surprised me, lad!"
"Amazing Abrahams, lad!"
"Wasted Westerfields! That was exciting, eh, lad?"
"Debating Dashners! We're late!"
"Jabbering Joneses, peopl
Robin (Bridge Four)
On sale Sept 7 2016 on Amazon for $2.99

Buddy Read with the ever amazing group of Sanderson fans at Buddies Books and Baubles starting 8/21/16

I girl with a crystal sword....what could go wrong??? Well a lot but I think that was the point.

description

I flew through this series and so no time for reviews but....If you have kids 7-12 then this would be a fun family read.
Kells Next Read
I can't get enough of this series. It's so freaking good. This is the perfect series to read if you're looking for something lighthearted and funny. Sanderson is a Genius *coughs* I know, I know, I say that a lot, but it true.

I absolutely love Alcatraz Smedry and the other characters. Rushing off to read Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brandon Sanderson. AKA THE Brandon Sanderson. AKA Mr Five Star.
You know, the creator of the Cosmere. What? You haven’t heard of him? I don’t care who you are or what you’ve read. If you have not yet read Brandon Sanderson’s books, then you have not yet discovered what fantasy can be. But fear not! I say it again, fear not! For your ignorance can be amended. Whether you are a fantasy veteran or a fantasy noob, today... today, you find yourselves equals.

For you are all equally blessed. For
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Knights of Crystallia is the third installment of the Alcatraz series by Brandon Sanderson. For those who don’t understand what a series actually means and where you should start reading it, Alcatraz Smedry is nice enough to help explain all this as the book begins.

I know that some of you Hushlanders have trouble counting to three. (The Librarian-controlled schools don’t want you to be able to manage complex mathematics.) So I’ve prepared this helpful guide
TS Chan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aug 2016: Reread in anticipation of the release of the last book on 6th Sept.

This book means whatever you make of it. For some it will be about the dangers of fame. For others it will be about turning your flaws into talents. For many it will simply be entertainment, which is quite all right. Yet for others it will be about learning to question everything, even that which you believe. For, you see, the most important truths can always withstand a little examination.

This book even wrote its own
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
NALHALLA

Knights of Crystallia

First Sentence: So there I was, hanging upside down underneath a gigantic glass bird, speeding along at a hundred miles an hour above the ocean, in no danger whatsoever.

I was a bit disappointed in this one. The pace was a lot slower and the action almost none existing.
The interruptions in the beginning of each chapter was just plain annoying, and it didn't help the pace of the book.

I think I'm taking a break form this series for now - will get back to it later in the year.

Franco  Santos
You want to be a better person? Go listen to someone you disagree with. Don't argue with them, just listen. It's remarkable what interesting things people will say if you take the time to not be a jerk.
¡Qué final!
Mariah
gotta say, I'm getting a little bored with these :/
the 'quirkyness' is turned all the way up to eleven and it's reading very forced
Sanaa
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2014
[5 Stars] I think the other two books in this series were my personal favorites and this one wasn't quite as good as the others. May be this is more of a 4.5 star book, but regardless this series is gearing up to be one of my favorite middle grade series ever! I adore Alcatraz, his grandfather, Bastille, and Folsom and Himalaya in this book in particular. This series make me giggle so much, and I admit I'll be slightly sad when I finish the next one and don't have Alcatraz books to read for a wh ...more
Lisa
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the Alcatraz series.

When Alcatraz and Grandpa Smedry make a pilgrimage to the Free Kingdom city of Crystallia, the Smedry home base, Alcatraz is shocked to see that he is, in fact, a legend. When he was a baby he was stolen by the Evil Librarians, and his mother, a Librarian herself, was behind the whole scheme. Now, with his estranged father, who is acting indeed strange, Bastille, who has been stripped of her armor, and Grandpa Smedry, who is, as always, late to everyth
Aaron
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pointedly aimed at tween readers with silly situations and goofy dialogue. Smedry (aka Sanderson) tells of his adventures in a fast paced, ridiculous manner.
The text is easy enough for young readers, while presenting a few challenges along the way to grow the reader's skills. The chapters are short and action packed, but lacking in pictures making this a solid 300 page book.
A perfect read for tweens with no foul language or adult content. Even the bathroom humor is limited to a single reference.
Grace Crandall
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things I love about these books:

- realistically flawed characters. Alcatraz is hugely likeable, at turns both heroic and unsavory, but always in ways that are incredibly human.

- the writing style! It reads like a Tumblr post! It uses the tropes and themes of traditional prose and storytelling like a jungle gym! I love it!

-worldbuilding, obviously. It's so much fun.

Anyway this is a great series if you want to laugh uproariously, but also experience the full spectrum of human emotion. I'm excit
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/22/...

How do I know when I have series addiction? Clearing my reading schedule and dropping everything the moment I get my twitchy fingers on the sequel is a pretty good indication. I simply adore these Alcatraz books! The first four installments are being re-issued this year, with The Knights of Crystallia being the third book to get the fully illustrated hardcover treatment, and my latest fix.

After their narrow escape from t
Lavender Bleu
In this book, the third one of the series, Alcatraz sets out to prove that he is arrogant, self-centered, and vain.
Emily
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
6/27/16 - reading aloud to the boys
7/17/16 - finished!

4/30-5/6/11
This series just keeps getting better! This third installment still has the biting self-deprecating humor of the first two, but it also has a more serious undercurrent. There's more depth to the interactions we see between Alcatraz and his parents and Alcatraz and Bastille. We start to see some of the behind-the-scenes details on how the Smedry Talents and Lenses work and to understand the political structure of Nalhalla and the Li
Kinga
"I'd like to promise you that everything will turn out all right, but I think there's something you should understand. This is the middle book of a series. And as everyone knows, the heroes always lose in the middle book. It makes the series more tense."

This was way more fun than I expected.

Alcatraz's journey is halfway over and I can't wait for the big secrets to be revealed at the end. I need answers!

Since this is the middle book I would leave only a short review here, so that I could get
B.J. Richardson
Sep 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of Brandon Sanderson, the more impressed I am at how he is such a brilliant writer. I can't get over how much of a unique voice and style this series has compared to his Cosmere books. This is definitely a series for preteen and early teen kids and I would put it up there with Narnia as "must-reads" for every growing boy. I only wish I found my way to this book series thirty years ago. This, of course, would be impossible unless I can get my hands on a time machine. Throughout th ...more
David
Mar 05, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me - “wow, I read this book in a morning.”

My daughter - “dad, that’s a book for kids my age.”

Me - “hush, I need to go support Brandon Sanderson’s kickstarter.”

My daughter - “he’s funny and creative!”

Me - “I know. And he’s a mad genius! You’ll be reading his books the rest of your life. Wanna try Mistborn?”

My daughter - “I’m 10.”

Me -“right. You can probably handle it though.”

My daughter - “how about the next alcatraz book? The fourth one is even funnier!”

Me - “ok.”
Evance Tairo
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again
An amazing read.. there is huge development in magic system and world building. We finally get to see the free kingdoms and i was not disappointed. Stakes rise in this book, but that did not necessarily force the main character to be stacked with more wisdom than his age by the Author. He remains in roots, a teenager, prone to making teenager-like mistakes throughout the book.

(spoiler below)
And i can't help but feel that it should have been titled ' Bastille Versus the Knights of Crystalli
Cori Reed
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series. It's incredibly self-aware and hilarious. ...more
Olga
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is so good!

Last year I didn't read much middle grade fantasy, but then I started this series without expecting much and I just fell back in love and remember why I enjoyed middle grade novels so much. It's a quick read but it packs so much; it's fun, entertaining and clever. I love Sanderson's writing in this and his humor resonates with me.

I'm excited to read the next book.
Katie
I think this was the best one so far. It felt more settled into the world and characters.

Owned physical book 3/2 for the month
Overall owned book 4/5 for the month
Reanne
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review crossposted from my book review blog.

In this, the middle book of the Alcatraz series, we finally get to see what the Free Kingdoms are like. Because the book isn’t almost entirely confined to one building, as in the first two, that helped this book feel a little bit bigger.

This book is just as good as the first two. The voice/narration continues to be funny, there are some interesting revelations, and once again we meet some new and fun characters. Sing comes back, and Australia is mentio
Rainer Dela Cuesta
Rotating Rothfusses! Jabbering Joneses! Manhandling moons! Velcroed Verns! Limping Lowrys! Clustering Campbells! Hiccuping huffs! Shattering glass! Pardon my French but is not swearing in the Free Kingdoms fun. At least compared to excretion swearing in our Hushlander society-farting barf faced poop, gross. It was a blast reading Grandpa Smedry and Uncle Kaz's swearing in the previous books that I made sure to compile a list this time around.

Contrary to popular belief and to Brandon Sanderson's

• Return of the Dragon Slayers (Dragonwatch, #5)
  • Brave New World: A Graphic Novel
  • Relatively Normal Secrets
  • Shinji Takahashi and the Mark of the Coatl
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Binti: Sacred Fire (Binti, #1.5)
  • The Glass Bird Girl (Knight's Haddon, #1)
  • Unappreciated Gifts
  • The Clue of the Broken Blade (Hardy Boys, #21)
  • Champion of the Titan Games (Dragonwatch, #4)
  • Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
  • Crudrat
  • The Quest For the Kid (The Explorers #3)
  • How to Treat Magical Beasts: Mine and Master’s Medical Journal, Vol. 3
  • Mago por casualidad (Por Casualidad, #1)
  • Death Weavers (Five Kingdoms, #4)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
See top shelves…
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians (6 books)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4)
  • The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5)
  • Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz Versus The Evil Librarians, #6)