Start by marking “Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)

Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

(Ultra Maniac #1)

Shy Ayu Tateishi has just made a new friend at school. But this new friend, much to her surprise, is no ordinary classmate. Nina Sakura may look like a normal middle school girl, but she's got a big secret.

She's a witch.

Or, rather, she's studying to be a witch. And, apparently, she's not doing her homework. Her spells are devastating in their ineffectiveness and often re
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Start your review of Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)
Lara Mi

Review for the complete series

Ayu is regarded as the cool girl at school - an image she'd like to maintain. But once she meets the bumbling exchange student Nina, she seems to stumble from one embarrassing incident to the next. Not only is Nina clumsy, but she also turns out to be a witch! One missed spell leads to another and soon Ayu's school life is in chaos.

Ultra Maniac is the only fantasy story this author has written so far. And it's a shame too! This author likes adding some crazy things
Sesana
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, romance
What drew me to Ultra Maniac was the art. It's really very cute. The plot is sort of silly, and fun. Nina is a (not very good) witch who wants to help her new friend Ayu with her magic. And hijinks ensue. It's light, silly, and fun, and the romance is very much on the backburner compared to the friendship between Ayu and Nina. Nina is an especially fun character to read, and I thought that her system of magic was interesting, even if it does need a little more explanation in later volumes. I'll ...more
Erica
This is a very cute and interesting read. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the sequel.
MC
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultra Maniac is a very fun shojo manga that is a tad slow to start but is has a fun enough plot and other good things going for it that this is forgivable.

It's the story of a shy, but beautiful young middle-school girl named Ayu who is head over heels in love with boy named Tetsushi. Because of this, she has remade herself to be the kind of cool girl that she thinks he would want. They seem to be getting closer, when a new girl comes to the school and latches onto Ayu as her new best friend.

The
Brandi
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Wataru Yoshizumi's "Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01" is beautifully illustrated. The protagonists, Ayu and Nina, are both likable and endearing. There is a lot of humour in this volume, which I enjoy, and I hope this carries through to future volumes, which I look forward to reading.
I think fans of the "Pixie Pop" series would probably enjoy this series as well. I know I did, but I'm kind of into all of that too-sweet-might-give-yourself-a-toothache cuteness.
~Cyanide Latte~
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
[Review to come in the future. I'm not sure how to process everything I just read. In the meantime, if you're wondering if this is just as slapstick-heavy and tropey as the description makes it out to be, I can absolutely confirm for you that this is the case.] ...more
Sharon
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It was cute. There are some parts that make me roll my eyes. Like the suggestion that boys are naturally stronger and faster (really?) and other aspects which are tropes in this genre. (Or at least I've seen them from Watase-sensei.) There is also a sense of not being honest with things, magic as a shortcut and I wonder if they will address that or it's just going to be a comedic bit.

I really like that the leads are girls as friends not fighting over a boy... and kind of wish a boy didn't play
Lottie Eve
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a review on the entire series

I have read this manga a long time ago but it was so awesome I decided to review it. I love magical girl manga as they almost always promise to be cute and fun reads. Ultra Maniac did not disappoint! This manga was cute, funny, and quick read that I enjoyed very, very much.

The characters are all very cute, funny, and unique. They all had their own funny personalities. Nina and Ayu were really fun to read about and Nina's magical mishaps and the situations she
Phoebe Andamo
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, w
The world of cool and calm Ayu was shaken when she met the maniac-like student Nina. She found the portable PC that Nina lost. In exchange, Nina trusted Ayu with her secret. It was the start of their friendship. Nina wanted to help Ayu solve her little problems but it always end up in disasters.

Ultra Maniac has a special place in my heart. It was one of those animés that made me addicted to animé itself *cough*still is*cough*. I was looking for this manga back when the scanlations were limited a
Kristen Harvey
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great little series of manga that is rated A for All Ages. About a girl who is a witch and a girl that becomes her friend. There is a lot of mishap spells and a bit of romance. So far, I love the series.
Robin
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2place, 3-stars
One Word Rec.: BORROW

Rating: 3 ☆彡

Yoshizumi, Watasu; ULTRA MANIAC [Ultra Maniac]

e/read online; genre: { manga, shoujo }; shelves:

This is a shoujo manga series. I am only placing my actual review for V. 1 & V. 5, as my review sorta covers the entire series. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

General Synopsis:
Nina Sakura is a witch. The problem is, she failed at her school in the Magic Kingdom, so she has come to Earth as a transfer student. Soon after transferring, she meet
beth {hiatus} F.
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A little dated but hilarious!

I would put this in the genres slice of life, comedy, fantasy, and romance. It's pretty diverse and has fun events. I was not expecting it to be like this at all. I thought it'd be like a cheerleading manga or something.

The story plays out slowly, giving us enough time between events to laugh and to think over what just happened. Characters haven't begun their development and just have been introduced.

The art style is typical of the time it was drawn in. Nothing out
Gabriella
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is for volumes 1-4 in the series :3
- - -

What a cute series! I found this at the library, so I decided to read it; and what a treat! It does have a few ~problematic~ scenes, like when Ayu transforms into a boy to be better at tennis😑, but that’s understandable given how old it is. I was surprised by the author’s note section in this, too- There was mentions of Harry Potter, David Beckham, the Powerpuff girls, etc. 😄! That was fun to read.

Overall, this was a really cute, lighthearted
The Unicorn
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning manga readers, fans of Cardcaptor Sakura without committing to a long, complex series
After revisiting this series after many years and several read-throughs later (the first being when it was first released in the U.S. in July 2005, and read at least two or three times through before), it still holds up to everything I had wanted in a shojo manga— a visual story about a magical girl being light-hearted, easy-going fun. This is perfect for anyone, especially beginning readers to manga, who wants a female-driven Japanese comic that was not too long (the complete collection contain ...more
Ellie Brown
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
***i’m grouping all five volumes as one book read because it makes more sense to me that way!***

this was the first manga i ever read in middle school, and it will always be one of my absolute favorites. i love all the characters and the plot is so silly in all the best ways. i also love that the anime gives us more storylines within nina and ayu’s world!

reading rush book #3 (book set in a different continent)
Morgan Joyner
Tateishi wants so badly to appear cool so she can impress her crush, but her ditzy classmate's magical hijinks keep complicating her life. Goofy, light-hearted fun with a very episodic, spell-of-the-week plot.

I really thought I wouldn't want to read more, but that twist ending to volume 1! How can I resist?
Ardin
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Full review on my blog: https://ardinpatterson.wordpress.com/...

Three stars. It was okay. Not great. Not boring. Just, didn’t keep my interest to finish the whole series. However, if you like cute stories with magic, friendship and comedy I think it’s definitely worth checking out. Plus, I really loved the fashion in this series!

Tülin
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, when you try your best to help someone, but accidentally make it worse. I reckon I'd have loved this when I was younger. Very cute art style, interesting developing story. Reminds me a bit of Mink, but much better and potentially, darker. ...more
Jade Sánchez
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this series in elementary school/middle school and absolutely loving it. Coming back years later and not much has changed - it’s just as fun and silly as I remember it. I can’t wait to re-read the rest of the series.
Arthur
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
silly and stupid but still a fun read nonetheless
Lauren Doolittle
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first manga I ever read in my tweenage years! Adorably witchy and sweet. A precious read.
TT
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Rachael Rayburn
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and fun series. Love the friend/love interest dynamics.
Hapsari Darmastuti
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
So so fun! I thought this manga was really funny and I love the art as well. The friendship between the leads are also fun to see
Kaylabookworm22 L
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was highly entertaining with super likable characters and a suprised ending to this first issue. I'll definitely read more from this series! ...more
Sara woolley
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OmD that was soooo amazing. It reminds me so much of Sugar sugar rune but easier to read.
Kathy
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is really fun and really cute. I am enjoying reading it.
Samantha
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, in-classroom
This was super cute! I really enjoyed it. I didn’t realize the mangaka also did Marmalade Boy! I enjoyed that series as well.
Joslyn Gibson
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ownp
Very cute and silly story. That cliffhanger almost killed me.
Alexandra
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An amazing romantic comedy that any manga/anime lover needs to read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ultra fast keto boost Scam 1 1 Sep 11, 2019 03:58PM

• Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 1: Who Do You Want to Be? (Shugo Chara!, #1)
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 1 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #1)
  • Full Moon o Sagashite, Vol. 1
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 3: Can a Bad Guy Turn Good? (Shugo Chara!, #3)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Mew Mew, #1)
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 1
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 1 (Magic Knight Rayearth I, #1)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #7)
  • Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01 (Gakuen Alice, #1)
  • D.N.Angel, Vol. 1 (D.N.Angel, #1)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #1)
  • Kamichama Karin, Vol. 01
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 1 (Imadoki! Nowadays, #1)
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summer issue of Ribon O

Ultra Maniac (5 books)