Start by marking “Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac, #1)

Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 (Ultra Maniac #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  7,148 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Shy Ayu Tateishi has just made a new friend at school. But this new friend, much to her surprise, is no ordinary classmate. Nina Sakura may look like a normal middle school girl, but she's got a big secret.

She's a witch.

Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01

Lara Mi

Review for the complete series

Ayu is regarded as the cool girl at school - an image she'd like to maintain. But once she meets the bumbling exchange student Nina, she seems to stumble from one embarrassing incident to the next. Not only is Nina clumsy, but she also turns out to be a witch! One missed spell leads to another and soon Ayu's school life is in chaos.

Ultra Maniac is the only fantasy story this author has written so far. And it's a shame too! This author likes adding some crazy things
Sesana
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, romance
What drew me to Ultra Maniac was the art. It's really very cute. The plot is sort of silly, and fun. Nina is a (not very good) witch who wants to help her new friend Ayu with her magic. And hijinks ensue. It's light, silly, and fun, and the romance is very much on the backburner compared to the friendship between Ayu and Nina. Nina is an especially fun character to read, and I thought that her system of magic was interesting, even if it does need a little more explanation in later volumes. I'll ...more
MC
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ultra Maniac is a very fun shojo manga that is a tad slow to start but is has a fun enough plot and other good things going for it that this is forgivable.

It's the story of a shy, but beautiful young middle-school girl named Ayu who is head over heels in love with boy named Tetsushi. Because of this, she has remade herself to be the kind of cool girl that she thinks he would want. They seem to be getting closer, when a new girl comes to the school and latches onto Ayu as her new best friend.

The
Azzahro Wijaya
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Satu hal yang bikin menarik dari komik ini yaitu nama tokoh utamanya. Ayu sama Nina (Indonesia banget). Seperti biasa, Wataru Yoshizumi kalau bikin cerita di awalnya emang suka bikin kaget. Ayu ini orang yang ga percaya sama sihir, Harry Potter atau apa lah... tapi malah ketemu sama Nina, yang merupakan penyihir gagal. Di pertengahan bahkan sampai mendekati ending cerita biasanya Wataru Yoshizumi munculin banyak karakter baru yang jadi pesaing-pesaing atau musuh dari karakter utama. Memang sudah ...more
Brandi
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Wataru Yoshizumi's "Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01" is beautifully illustrated. The protagonists, Ayu and Nina, are both likable and endearing. There is a lot of humour in this volume, which I enjoy, and I hope this carries through to future volumes, which I look forward to reading.
I think fans of the "Pixie Pop" series would probably enjoy this series as well. I know I did, but I'm kind of into all of that too-sweet-might-give-yourself-a-toothache cuteness.
Sharon
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It was cute. There are some parts that make me roll my eyes. Like the suggestion that boys are naturally stronger and faster (really?) and other aspects which are tropes in this genre. (Or at least I've seen them from Watase-sensei.) There is also a sense of not being honest with things, magic as a shortcut and I wonder if they will address that or it's just going to be a comedic bit.

I really like that the leads are girls as friends not fighting over a boy... and kind of wish a boy didn't play
Lottie Eve
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a review on the entire series

I have read this manga a long time ago but it was so awesome I decided to review it. I love magical girl manga as they almost always promise to be cute and fun reads. Ultra Maniac did not disappoint! This manga was cute, funny, and quick read that I enjoyed very, very much.

The characters are all very cute, funny, and unique. They all had their own funny personalities. Nina and Ayu were really fun to read about and Nina's magical mishaps and the situations she
Phoebe Andamo
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, w
The world of cool and calm Ayu was shaken when she met the maniac-like student Nina. She found the portable PC that Nina lost. In exchange, Nina trusted Ayu with her secret. It was the start of their friendship. Nina wanted to help Ayu solve her little problems but it always end up in disasters.

Ultra Maniac has a special place in my heart. It was one of those animés that made me addicted to animé itself *cough*still is*cough*. I was looking for this manga back when the scanlations were limited a
Kristen
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great little series of manga that is rated A for All Ages. About a girl who is a witch and a girl that becomes her friend. There is a lot of mishap spells and a bit of romance. So far, I love the series.
Irene
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Un clásico que emitieron en España durante los 90, y que gustó mucho.
Va de magia, romance y todo eso :)
Robin
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2place, 3-stars
One Word Rec.: BORROW

Rating: 3 ☆彡

Yoshizumi, Watasu; ULTRA MANIAC [Ultra Maniac]

e/read online; genre: { manga, shoujo }; shelves:

This is a shoujo manga series. I am only placing my actual review for V. 1 & V. 5, as my review sorta covers the entire series. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

General Synopsis:
Nina Sakura is a witch. The problem is, she failed at her school in the Magic Kingdom, so she has come to Earth as a transfer student. Soon after transferring, she
The Unicorn
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning manga readers, fans of Cardcaptor Sakura without committing to a long, complex series
After revisiting this series after many years and several read-throughs later (the first being when it was first released in the U.S. in July 2005, and read at least two or three times through before), it still holds up to everything I had wanted in a shojo manga— a visual story about a magical girl being light-hearted, easy-going fun. This is perfect for anyone, especially beginning readers to manga, who wants a female-driven Japanese comic that was not too long (the complete collection contain ...more
Lauren Doolittle
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first manga I ever read in my tweenage years! Adorably witchy and sweet. A precious read.
Rachael Rayburn
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and fun series. Love the friend/love interest dynamics.
Westley
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
magic girl romance manga
Teetee
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-shojo
Arthur
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
silly and stupid but still a fun read nonetheless
Victoria
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read
Sandy
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, manga
A little too cutesy for my taste but it has potential. I have volume 2 on my shelf ready to go.
Wilma Monica
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Na ah!
Yesterday was indeed my nostalgic days~~
I read manga all night
Probably on 9 and early 10 March~~

I'm so sad to know that my 4th and 5th book are gone~~
Let me tell a story first
I have my bookshelf coming today
So yesterday literally my life was about cleaning my room and books from my old shelf, and safe some place in my room for my shelf!
AND I FINALLY DISCOVERED

that my books were gone
I'm so sad.. but I will keep searching for my books!! no matter what!!
huh~
end up, I read the 4th and 5th book
Brookelyn
The book Ultra Maniac was about two girls named Nina she's a witch from the magic kingdom and Ayu she's a shy but she's popular with the younger girls. She also has a serious crush on Tetsushi. This all starts when Ayu sees nina crying and helps Nina find her magic pc Ayu didn't want to be noesy so she didn't ask nina what the symbols ment in the pc.Nina then tells Ayu about her powers and how she came here studying abroad and how she was a magic school drop out. Throughout the story nina tries ...more
Sereneblaze

She's a witch.

Or, rather, she's studying to be a witch. And, apparently, she's not doing her homework. Her spells are devastating in their ineffectiveness and often result in the most embarrassing situations for poor Ayu.

But things wouldn't be so bad if Nina's sorcery didn't make Ayu look s
Anonomanga
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This manga is a little different to me than other shojo manga, in a good way. I like that the romantic focus is on one girl and one guy, instead of some triangle or polygon of multiple guys falling for one girl. The story follows the two girlfriends finding/realizing love, and has equal focus on their own friendship and Nina's magical blunders. I find it a nice change from the usual stories that come from Shojo Beat [not that I don't like manga from Shojo Beat].

The art is nice as well; it's defi
cheyenne
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
the plot in this book is about ayu finding out about this girl Nina. And since she found out Nina's secret. Ayu's life has gotten so hard. Nina tricks ayu into taking chocolates or jewerly. But not in a good way. Ayu gets turned into a boy twice. And found interesting stuff about becuase that are kind of close to her.
i can connect to this book becuase if some tricked me. I would be really mad becuase i'm messing up my life. And now its kind of weird when i see or talk to people. so i would be
Muhammad Rajab
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
curcol: baru nemu tempat rental komik dekat rumah. gilak! komiknya banyak banget. nilai plusnya banyak komik-komik lama angkatan Ryo Azuki, Wataru Yoshizumi, Wataru Mizukami, dll. :p

okeh, ke manga ini sekarang: udah lama banget ngincer manga yang satu ini! seru, sih, tapi kurang greget. muka gue datar banget pas baca ini. ke romantisme-annya juga nggak begitu ditampilkan.
bahasa yang digunakan penerjemah dalam komik ini juga gue kurang suka aja gitu.
kayak "WHAT THEFF" "Anjir" "So Wat Geto Loh"
Natalie
Ultra Maniac sits on the border between children's manga and YA - packed with humor, the romance aspect is light and fun and often takes a backseat to the warm friendship between Ayu and Nina, an aspiring witch. There are even a few gender-bending scenes (my favorite!). The art is gorgeous and fits well with the lighthearted, cutesy plot.

That same lightheartedness might work against the manga - the plot lacks any serious substance. The shenanigans are solved easily and there are never any lasti
Jason
This was nice. Light fantasy, lots of humor, unpredictable in the sense that you know something's going to go wrong but you don't know exactly how. The anticipation is fun. The characters are likable and interesting. My favorite was when Ayu was shocking boys in the hallway who accidentally touched her. It's interesting to me that I find myself enjoying shojo (when it's not overbearing) more than shonen. I guess the relationship stuff is more interesting to me as long as there's some other twist ...more
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow : ) I really enjoyed this volume, Nina gave Ayu some magic truth chocolates to give to Tetsushi to make him tell her who he liked, but he gave them to her instead, and she blurted truths out and got into a quite a predicament, lol : ) and then Nina found out Tetsushi's true colors too, wow : ) love this manga series! <3
Bani M
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, manga-owned
I enjoyed this one so much! Very cute, sweet, and relaxing. The artwork is pretty- it doesn't take huge risks but remains consistently nice and smooth. The expressions of the characters (Nina especially) make the funnier parts shine. It's also worth mentioning that there is nothing that could be considered questionable/objectionable in this series, fine for all ages.
Sarah Lucas
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first manga series I ever read. This is what got me 100% hooked on manga. There used to be a time where I could finish one in 20 minutes or less. But anyway, this book (series) is so cute and adorable. I feel like a like of people can relate to Nina because she's my personal fave character. =)
Keto Ultra Diet 1 1 Apr 27, 2018 12:43AM
Trembolex Ultra 1 2 Nov 27, 2017 10:38PM
http://nuvieskincareserum.com/ultraflex-relief/ 1 1 Dec 27, 2016 09:39PM
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 1
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 1
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 2 (MeruPuri, #2)
  • Kamichama Karin, Vol. 01
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 3 (Imadoki!: Nowadays, #3)
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 1 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #1)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 2 (Beauty Pop, #2)
  • Mamotte! Lollipop, Vol. 01
  • Fall in Love Like a Comic! Vol. 1
  • Special A, Vol. 02 (Special A, #2)
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Volume 1
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
  • Zodiac P.I., Vol. 1 (Zodiac P.I., #1)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
  • Cactus's Secret, Vol. 01
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉, Yoshizumi Wataru) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summe
More about Wataru Yoshizumi

Ultra Maniac (5 books)
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 02
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 03
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 04
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 05

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99