Start by marking “The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)

The Lies of Locke Lamora

(Gentleman Bastard #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  181,229 ratings  ·  12,325 reviews
An orphan's life is harsh — and often short — in the island city of Camorr, built on the ruins of a mysterious alien race. But born with a quick wit and a gift for thieving, Locke Lamora has dodged both death and slavery, only to fall into the hands of an eyeless priest known as Chains — a man who is neither blind nor a priest.

A con artist of extraordinary talent, Chains p
Published April 12th 2007 by Gollancz (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lies of Locke Lamora, please sign up.
Justin This book elevates profanity and vulgarity to an artform.
Liv Joy Locke... I'm as much a head over heels for him as possible for a fictional character ❤___❤ I'm totally drooling over his genius!! :'D

·  181,229 ratings  ·  12,325 reviews

Patrick
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back when I was first published, people made a lot of comparisons between me and Scott Lynch.

The sentiment was mostly along the lines of "Pat Rothfuss is the next Scott Lynch!"

Here's the thing, Lies of Lock Lamora had come out almost exactly a year before my first book, The Name of the Wind. It was Scott's first book, the first in a fantasy series. The world was gritty and real, and it had knocked everyone over with how good it was.

So I knew it was a flattering comparison, but at the time, I
Chaima ✨ شيماء
My legs are so toned from climbing the stairs back to a higher moral ground after reading this book but I would still throw the version of myself who hasn’t picked it up sooner down a set of stairs because this was the most fun I had in a while why did I deprive myself of it? No really. Is anything as pure as a heist book? Is anything as good and exciting and forthright as a heist book, I ask you?

So, what's this book about?

The Lies of Locke Lamora, not-so-delicately traces the path back to t
Mark Lawrence
So, I was surprised to discover we owned this book, since it's a very well known book but nobody in my house had ever mentioned it to me.

Turns out my wife bought it, tried it, found it too slow, and gave up. I've convinced her to give it another go.

I enjoyed Locke Lamora and his lies quite a bit. Immediately I liked the writing, which combines wit with solid prose. Like my wife I hit a bit of a soft patch early on, though for me it was that I was finding the point of view very 'surface' sharing
Michael
Ocean's Eleven was great and everything, but know what would've made it cooler? If the setting had been during the late middle ages, possibly the Renaissance. Better yet, a fantasy world version of the Renaissance with an intricate system of magic and a complex set of political conspiracies to add some flair. And what if the city was built upon the ruins of an earlier city, and the earlier city was built by some enigmatic science fiction creatures that have since disappeared?

And if instead of a
Nataliya
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy full of humor, adventures, and blood.
The Lies of Locke Lamora is a love child of Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather. With blood, deaths, betrayals, money, and drowning in horse urine. With a sh*tload of non-PG humor. All for the price of one. And it's SO. GOOD.

“Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope that I’m still around to see it.”
Anne
2.5 stars...maybe a full 3?

I'm having such a hard time with how I feel about this book!
I was looking for another fantasy/heist book like The Palace Job, and The Lies of Locke Lamora has so many great reviews that I thought it would be an easy win for me.
Ehhh. Yes and no. But mostly no.

description

Let me be the first to admit that the problems I had with this one?
Well, they might be exactly why every other reader loved it.

description

It took me forever to get through this. It felt like years went by while I tried to ge
Pierce Brown
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not often I read a book that makes me forget I'm a writer too. This one succeeded, madly. It stole hours of sleep. It wrapped me in cozy myth. It gave me the blessing of feeling like a kid again, snuggled up with a book, wondering how the hell 10pm became 4am.

Find. Buy. Consume.
Petrik
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
4.5/5 Stars

Double Fuckdamn…
1. For postponing reading this book for a really long time.
2. For underestimating Scott Lynch’s capability to create such a strong debut novel.

“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.”

Together with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Malice by John Gwynne, The Lies of Locke Lamora, the first book in The Gentleman Bastard Sequence series is one of the best DEBUT novels I ever read. Don’t get me wrong, the series I ment
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Some day, Locke Lamora,” he said, “some day, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”

Haha! You gotta love Father Chains for his vivid imagination and if you actually read the entire book you might find yourself at a place where you have to agree with him. XD
But I’m get
Dana Ilie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'll be blunt up front and share that The Lies of Locke Lamora is one of my favorite books this year.
I loved it. Ever freaking word of every line.
While the main plot of the book features heist, treachery and more mutinies than you could shake a stick at – the heart of the novel lies in the epic bromance that is the Gentlemen Bastards. I am a huge fan of the ‘family that you choose yourself’ trope, so Locke and his gang of misfits tickled at my heartstrings. Make no mistake, they’re neither gent
James Tivendale
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim, complex, fantasy, hiest
Lynch introduces us to a gang of intelligent, flamboyant and charismatic thieves called the Gentleman Bastards around whom this book (and I assume the entire series) revolves. Locke - the infamous Thorn of Camorr, Jean and Bug were my personal favourites within the group but the camaraderie presented surrounding the gang was amazing - almost making us as the reader feel part of the ensemble - as we were privy to the cons, the secrets and also the stories revolving the characters youths.

Lynch pre
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Milliebot
EXCUSE ME I JUST FINISHED READING A 700 PAGE ADULT FANTASY BOOK WHERE IS MY MEDAL???????? For real though, this was really fun! I might be leaning more towards a 3.5 because things reeeaaally started to drag for me right before the big hurrah at the end, but I still enjoyed it a heckin' ton overall. I may even consider carrying on with the series someday! Who am I?!
jessica
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
locke lamora could rob me of all im worth and i would literally get down on my knees and thank him for the honour. he is the most deceptively clever, enticingly cunning, and gentlemanly bastard i have ever read and i cant get enough of him or his crew.

you guys, this story is unreal. its so morally wrong that you dont even want it to be right. its that luring, that gritty, that bold.

its masterfully chaotic - so many subplots, so many characters, so much world-building. theres never a dull momen
Dorreh
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello my dears, is it a mentally decapitating book you wish to read? (Pun intended)
Come, come right this way.............

This book is exactly what you're looking for, IF you're looking for a fantasy riddled, ruthless, enigmatic piece of art. This book was that, and so much more.

This book is around 700 pages with apt descriptions and precise detailing. It revolves around an orphan thief (because that's the best kind), whose world is changed when a plague riddled village is left with its only una
☽Luna☾
5 Holy shit what did I just read Stars.★★★★★

❝I only steal because it’s heaps of fucking fun!❞

description

"You can’t be serious. This crap is as welcome as a pile of severed dog cocks.”

Firstly this book was incredible, seriously i can't even think of words to describe how good it was. This was my first time reading anything by Scott Lynch and I'm really impressed, he is a fantastic author and extremely talented. I'm so glad I picked up this book. I enjoyed it from page one, although I must admit it too
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Some books evoke a distinctive feeling, or atmosphere, that can only be associated with that said book. This is no less true for The Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. From the very early on I knew what kind of stuff this would be about, and how gritty it was going to become. Indeed, this book turns into a violent mess.

That’s because the ancient city of Camorr is infested with thieves, pickpockets, schemers and violent gang leaders. But, the worse of the bunch is the priests. Father Chains is
C.G. Drews
THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH STARS IN THE SKY TO ACCURATELY SUM UP MY LOVE FOR THIS BOOK. I'm actually DYING WITH ADORATION RIGHT NOW. Can I say this is the best book ever???? Like, seriously, if I could only pick like 5 top books, it would be in that 5. (And omg peoples I read hundreds of books per year and am a rabid fan of many.) This was just frikkin brilliant in every. single. possible. way. I HAVE EMOTIONS. And I laughed so much because it's absolutely hilarious and clever and witty and insanely c ...more
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great fantasy, this novel follows a talented rogue and conman, Locke Lamora, through his adventures in Camorr, a city loosely patterned after Venice, but set in a world where humans have built their society over the ruins of a much older race called the Eldren. Locke rises from an orphaned beggar to become one of the most wanted thieves in the city, and along the way makes some enemies in very high places – the Duke’s head of secret police, ‘the Spider,’ the capa of the city’s underworld ...more
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
BR with the BBB gang starting January 11, 2016.

DNF at 31%

Warning: I pretty much have nothing to say about this book. Does it mean my review will be short? Now now, people, don't be so naïve.

Okay, let's do some quick maths here. I read the first 31% of this book. This book is 752 pages long (it feels like it's 2,500 pages long, but don't tell anyone I said that). Which means I read about 230 pages of this Delightful Piece of Fast-Paced Awesomeness (DPFPA™). Which means I should have someth
Adina
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: big, favorites, fantasy-sf
10.07.18: Kindle offer for 1.99$.

I loved this book although it is not perfect and there were some things about it that annoyed me a tiny bit. But well.. love is not a logical thing so...

As other reviewers said it is combination of Ocean 11 (with a younger and more cheekier main character) and the Godfather. I would also add the bloodiness of Game of Thrones ((view spoiler)) and some Jaws.

The main character Locke Lamora
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought it was freaking awesome and there was some sadness damn it!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Merphy Napier
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult, five-stars
Upon Reread: 5 stars

The first time I read this book, I wasn't used to fantasy, or the kind of complexities that this story and plot tackles. I'm honestly just in awe of the execution of this story. It's a slow start, and it has some jarring moments as far as the pacing goes, but Scott Lynch did something really unique with the story telling of this book and it's just a brilliant story, with brilliant characters, and I can't wait to continue on in the series.

--------------------------------------
Kelly
From the first threat to use someone's balls as fish bait to the last attempt to drown someone in horse piss, I absolutely adored this book. It is absolutely everything it should be, and then some. Emphasis on the and then some because it completely defied my expectations on many levels, both genre-wise and quality wise.

Set in a freaky, mystical alternate Renaissance Venice, the story takes place amongst the underworld thieves and gangs of the city. Our protagonist (I definitely won't call him a
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Locke: “I only steal because my dear
old family needs the money to live!"

"LIAR!"

Calo: "I only steal because this wicked world
won't let me work an honest trade!"

"LIAR!"

Galdo: "I only steal because i have to
support my poor lazy brother."

Jean: "I only steal because I've temporarily
fallen in with bad company."

Bug: "I only steal because
it's heaps of fucking fun!"

"BASTARD!”
Natalie Monroe
"Locke Lamora's rule of thumb was this: a good confidence game took three months to plan, three weeks to rehearse, and three seconds to win or lose the victim's trust forever."

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved Six of Crows. She cried bitter tears when the duology wrapped up in September, then went on the prowl for something, anything to satisfy the void in her heart.

The girl stumbled across Peaky Blinders and for a while, she was happy.

But it too began to lose its luster.

Scrolling t
Gavin
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic book. I loved reading this every bit as much this time as I did the first time. It's fair to say it retains it's place as one of my all time favorite books.

This is the story of Locke Lamorra, master thief extraordinaire, and his band of thieves, The Gentlemen Bastards. The Gentlemen Bastards are content with their lot in life and happy to fly under the radar in the city of Camorr. Unfortunately they soon find themselves embroiled in the heart of a power struggle for control of Camorr'
Orient
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love action, magic and adventure and want to test their patience
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
The Lies of Locke Lamora provoked double-sided feeling in me. The beginning was something long and kinda boring and only the weakening power of conscience and the support of my GR friends made it possible for me to read this book. I just can't and won't write about the difficulties and boredom, I encountered reading the first 200 pages. But there is no possibility to skip the first pages without reading; the story will miss the important, strategic and historical information. So I'll start my re ...more
Mpauli
Hello, distinguished review reader. What a nice coincidence stumbling into you here on this expression of thought.
Odd chance, you say? Well, I have to be honest with you. I actually planned this for quite a while. I'm playing the long con game with this review.
I set up a profile on this site, joined some groups and build a network of friends. And all leads up to today's review.
So, I kind of tricked you to lay eyes on these lines of lies.

All that I learned from my days with the Gentleman Bastards
Charlotte May
“We don’t believe in hard work when a false face and a good line of bullshit can do so much more.”

This was great! I don’t really know what I was expecting when I went into The Lies of Locke Lamora But I got an in depth, intricate fantasy world full of morally grey characters and so much backstabbing and double crossing it leaves your head spinning!

Locke Lamora is a member of the Gentlemen’s Bastards, a team of thieves who work up detailed plans in order to swindle the rich nobles out of the
Julio Genao
what to say that hasn't been said already?

nothing! so i'll say it all over again.

fun dialogue. great setting—but the author's way more in love with it than i ever got to be, so his endless digressions were frustrating. some of them had a satisfying impact on the story, but some were just random, and frequently set in the past, in a series of irritating interludes right when something exciting was about to happen.

some characters wander off, never to be seen again; some are brutally murdered; one

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Best Served Cold
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
  • The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #4)
  • The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • The Lions of Al-Rassan
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this s

Gentleman Bastard (7 books)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • The Mage and the Master Spy (Gentleman Bastard, #6)
  • Inherit the Night (Gentleman Bastard, #7)
“Someday, Locke Lamora,” he said, “someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I’m still around to see it.”
“Oh please,” said Locke. “It’ll never happen.”
1023 likes
“There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.” 833 likes