Start by marking “Spark Joy: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organising: An Illustrated Master Class” as Want to Read:

(Magic Cleaning #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  22,972 ratings  ·  2,549 reviews
Japanese decluttering guru Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up has revolutionized homes—and lives—across the world. Now, Kondo presents an illustrated guide to her acclaimed KonMari Method, with step-by-step folding illustrations for everything from shirts to socks, plus drawings of perfectly organized drawers and closets. She also provides advice on freque ...more
Published January 7th 2016 by Vermilion (first published January 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Spark Joy, please sign up.
Caroline In this book she specifically mentions donating items to thrift shops. She doesn't care how you get rid of stuff, as long as you get rid of what no…moreIn this book she specifically mentions donating items to thrift shops. She doesn't care how you get rid of stuff, as long as you get rid of what no longer sparks joy in your life.(less)
Andrew She goes into a lot more details about how to store things, which she barely did in the previous book, so "Spark Joy" is not exactly a replica of the…moreShe goes into a lot more details about how to store things, which she barely did in the previous book, so "Spark Joy" is not exactly a replica of the first book. But other than the tips on storing, there is not a whole lot of new information in the realm of discarding.

Also, she goes into more details to why she speak to objects which makes her look insane to people residing outside of Japan.(less)

·  22,972 ratings  ·  2,549 reviews

Diane Yannick
Dear Marie Kondo,
It is with great trepidation that I write this review of your newest book. I was berated by people all over the world after my critical Goodreads review of your first book, The Magical Art of Tidying. I received over 1800 likes and comments. Your rabid fans called me ethnocentric, hyperbolic, shallow, insensitive, unromantic, cold, narrow-minded, immature, a derisive mess, despicable, a pseudo-feminist (?), a possessor of ugly underwear, and they sent their deepest sympathy to
Andy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine follow-up to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I listened to the audio version, and found the accompanying PDF helpful enough that I didn't need the printed text.
Don't let Kondo's animism put you off; even if you're uncomfortable with thanking your possessions for their service before discarding them, there is much to be learned from this book. For Kondo, tidying is really a means to the end of mastering the space in which you live, and making it a place that nourishes rather
Elyse Walters
Spark Joy or Kill Joy?

According to Marie Kondo.... her KonMari Method of tidying up is nothing short of
life-changing.

Every time I walked into any book store... This little book ( kinda attractive), seems to always be near the front of the store...with many copies. I've yet to touch the book myself. I actually had NO IDEA what the book was about until walking early yesterday morning. While random looking at audiobook's on my overdrive app, I see this book is available.

By the way...the downsid
Heidi The Reader
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Spark Joy is author Marie Kondō's follow up to her internationally best-selling title, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.

Kondo's not for everyone — some of her ideas are very different like treating your possessions as if they have spirits of their own and sorting items by smell — but I like her.

I think it's because she is obviously very passionate about what she teaches. Her excitement seems to seek from the pages of her book.

This companion n
Christine Wahl
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very unique way to organize items, minimalist and get rid of clutter easily. If you can't declutter after this book there might not be hope.
Emily
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I got this book instead of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing because it has invaluable illustrations of Marie Kondo's folding style. (I started looking like one of these dogs when reading the descriptions of how to fold without any pictures.) From what I can tell, this book is an expansion of her first with some of the key concepts outlined a bit more clearly.

I will be moving at the end of the week, and I packed all of my clothes over the week
7jane
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a while, I didn't really know if I wanted to read about KonMari or not, but luckily I decided to choose this, largely due to Emily's review down here at the reviews (which says this is a expansion to her previous book, with some things explained a bit clearer, and there are illustrations to the folding styles Kondo recommends).

I think there are some books that just work better when you read them instead of audiobooking them, mainly because you can reread and find places a bit better, no risk
Kelly
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are really serious about decluttering your life this book will give you the guidance you need. It should be something you've already thought about. It's not a book for people who love to be surrounded by a lot of stuff. Those people will just end up writing long reviews making fun of the book hoping for laughs from other people who don't get those who wish to live a more minimalistic life. The day we had to move my grandma from a 5 bedroom 6 bathroom home to a small condo was when I start ...more
Mhairi
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed konmari's first book! I found it helpful, fresh, and it really did help me tidy up (pretty magically I might add) Since that book was released, I've read articles online about the method as it spread, and when I saw this book was due- I was thrilled!

I was disappointed that this book didn't seem to provide anything new. If you've read the first book, and even seen one or two videos of her folding techniques on YouTube- you've pretty much read this book.

I also think that if you h
Rose
Initial reaction: I thought this was a thorough follow up to Marie Kondo's first book, with more expansions and cute illustrations to boot. This book has a slight edge for my enjoyment because of how streamlined and organized it is compared to the first book. Probably rating this about 4 stars.

Full review:

"Spark Joy" was a book I was anticipating reading following Marie Kondo's first book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up". I was at first afraid I wouldn't be able to read it for a while bec
Alexandra
I found this book cluttered with boring and unhelpful anecdotes and also lacking in practical tips on how to actually tidy ones house. There's no real structure of how to go about it and there are a lot of gaps. For example, nowhere does the author mention coats, decorative items or art. She could have also been more practical in explaining when to tackle which task as you're reading the book. It wasn't really clear when I should put down the book and start tidying, and when to then read again a ...more
Gabriel Alan
Before this book changed my life, my makeup products sat dangerously close to my skin care products blocking my vanity's now perfect energy. Also, as is typical for people with my blood type, I'd never considered the relief that comes with organizing my electronics by smell, or having the dignity to cover the faces of my stuffed animals with a cloth bag, before I throw them in the garbage. This is rectified and I've been transformed forever. The spirit of the universe moves within.

(Usefulness o
Jessica
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was 100% what I expected and needed out of a "master class." I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up right around a year ago, and completed the entire KonMari process in the following months. However, although we'd pared down our possessions to only the things we love and use, I didn't feel like I had mastered how to organize and arrange what we had left for maximize efficiency and appreciation. This book has specific tips for every area tackled by the process, including a detailed sec ...more
Gina Beirne
Although I may not (read: will not) fold all my underwear into origami, her principles of tidying up are well worth looking at. What is important to you? (Seems weird to say "spark joy" when referring to underwear.) I'm all about shedding stuff that is no longer useful in my life hence the two garbage bags and two boxes of stuff being jettisoned from my house. (Note: threw out aforementioned underwear...did not put in donate box.)
Sách Chuyền Tay
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewwwws
An another great book from Marie Kondo. I'm feeling more excited and ecstacy on my way to becoming a Joyful guy.
Some favorite quotes and notes:
@The six basic rules of tidying
1. Commit yourself to tidying up
2. Imagine your ideal lifestyle
3. Finish discarding first
4. Tidy by category, not by location
5. Follow the right order: clothes, books, papers, komono (miscellany), and finally, sentimental items.
6. Ask yourself if it sparks joy

"Clutter accumulates when you fail to return objects to their desi
Sarah DiMento
Honestly, I thought this book was weird. Like this author is just way too obsessed with tidiness. I consider myself pretty tidy but I'm never gonna close my eyes and hug a piece of clothing to my chest to decide whether "inspires joy." Eventually I was motivated to tidy my home though, so I guess the book did its job, even though I don't think I followed one suggestion from the book (taking all of mine and my fiance's clothes from the drawers/closets and putting them in one big pile to go throug ...more
Cinzia DuBois
3.5 stars. I tend to reserve 4/5 star ratings for books very beautifully written; but whilst the simplicity and minimalism of her writing didn’t warrant a higher rating, her content was insightful and well broken down. It’s a very simple read (that being said, I listened to the audiobook, but that was only 5 hours long), but highly effective. I’ve committed myself to purge this year (along with a no-buy year), and it really helped me reconsider my storage methods. I know what I want to keep in m ...more
Viola
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vērtīga grāmata, daudzas atziņas gan sasaucas ar iepriekšējo grāmatu. Īpaši uzrunāja tēze "kaut kad noderēs frāze ir tabū". Jo kuram gan no mums nav pilna māja ar lietām,kas protams,kaut kad noderēs!
Mike
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing felt a bit weird. it's successor, Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up felt more comfortable, whether because I was adapted to Ms. Kondō's perspective, or the weird-to-Mike factor had been throttled back.
Tara Brabazon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody hell. I'm not sure when they released smack into the water supply, but this book confirms that we have lost it, as a civilization.

Three examples will confirm my statement.

Clothes organization. “Start with tops because things worn closer to your heart make it easier to judge whether or not you feel joy.”

It is fabric, love. Sort yourself out.

Second example. “Store bras like royalty.”

Women's underwear is satanic. It exists to make us feel uncomfortable. Unworthy. Bits are not quite in the
Katherine
I've been reading through this book slowly. I've spent more time slowly taking it's advice than actually reading it now that I'm technically finished. I'll spare everyone here the details, but before I read this book my apartment looked a lot different. And though it took me some time to warm up to it's twee language, Marie's way of tidying really stuck a cord with me once I was open to it. I'm not done taking it's advice, but I appreciate what this book has done for me.
Un té con Ceres
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Me ha llevado meses leer este libro porque me parecía más de lo mismo, mucha teoría repetida del primer libro. Este viene con fotos y esquemas para aprender a doblar pero me ha aportado poco. Abarca el orden más concreto por zonas de la casa. Si habéis leído el primero os lo podéis ahorrar o leerlo por encima yendo a lo que os importa. Para aprender más sobre el método Konmari de forma visual y amena os recomiendo los videos que @eherraiz sube a su canal de youtube (Elena Hg), me han venido de l ...more
Emma
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I’ve read Marie’s books one after each other... I’d definitely recommend reading the previous book of hers first. I actually prefer this book as Marie seems to have relaxed a bit in how she gets information over to the reader, and she tells us a lot more anecdotal stories, that are interesting. I’m not sure I can follow all her information but I’m going to give most of it a go. I’ve already gotten rid of about 40 books, so I’m off to a good start. Recommended.
alice (arctic books)
I really liked this sequel to THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP! However, I felt like it was more of a modification of the first book than adding something new to Kondo's ideas. A lot of the same concepts are recycled in this novel - keeping items if it "sparks joy", learning to tidy and organize items, etc., so don't expect much new information.

Nonetheless, I do think that this book was an improvement to the first novel - there are tons of cute diagrams/doodles which help assist Kondo's in
Giselle
Better then her previous book because she finally had some diagrams. Most of her advice was the same, so I pretty much skimmed through it.
L.A.
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The companion book to the KonMari method, with even more details about how to do all the things.

This tiny little book is meant to be read after, or in conjunction with, Kondo's bestseller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Taken on its own/out of sequence, you can consider it the book to flip through to decide if you want to dive into the first book or not. However, it's definitely more logical to read these two books in order, since Spark Joy amplifies on the principles brought up in LCM.

Th
Jonathon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book thinking, "well of course this is how to tidy up! Makes total sense." The language may have been idiosyncratic at times ("spark joy" being especially prevalent), but none of the principals were a huge shock or revelation.
Sarah Mackintosh
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Slow start, I almost felt like I was rereading "Life Changing Magic." Halfway through, Marie got to some tips about kitchens and bathrooms that was really lacking in the first book. I really enjoyed it! Love her.
Lea
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Everything you REALLY need to know about Marie Kondo's tidying method you can find in her first book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. From there, you can pretty much figure out the rest yourself, but if you need a bit of reinforcement and would like more specific tips (not to mention a bit of hand-holding with categories which are harder for you), this is a helpful book.

Here, Marie repeats the main concepts, and then really gets in the nitty-gritty of tidying up and organizing. She gives
AdiTurbo
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this second KonMarie book is even crazier than the first, and Kondo herself is a self-professed obsessive-compulsive who talks to underwear and thanks papers. Still, she is very good at motivating you to get off the couch and put some order in your house, and has a strong point in her instruction to keep only stuff that makes you happy. We in the West all have way too much stuff in our homes anyway, which should go to recycling or to someone who would be happy to accept it. On top of th ...more

• Design Mom: A Room-by-Room Guide to Living Well with Kids
  • New Order: A Decluttering Handbook for Creative Folks (and Everyone Else)
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain  Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Downsizing the Family Home: What to Save, What to Let Go
  • Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • Organized Enough: The Anti-Perfectionist's Guide to Getting—and Staying—Organized
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Good Life Lab: Radical Experiments in Hands-On Living
  • The Full Body Project
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • Let's Make Some Great Art
  • The Complete Book of Clean: Tips & Techniques for Your Home
  • Listful Thinking: Using Lists to Be More Productive, Successful and Less Stressed
  • Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
  • Only Opal
  • The Get Yourself Organized Project: 21 Steps to Less Mess and Stress
Marie Kondo (近藤 麻理恵) is a Japanese organizing consultant and author. Kondo's method of organizing is known as the KonMari Method, and one of the main principles is keeping only possessions which "spark joy."

Kondo's best-seller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing has been published in more than 30 countries.

She was listed as one of the world's 100

Magic Cleaning (2 books)
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
“Discarding is not the point; what matters is keeping those things that bring you joy. If you discard everything until you have nothing left but an empty house, I don’t think you’ll be happy living there. Our goal in tidying should be to create a living environment filled with the things we love.” 19 likes
“Tidying is the act of confronting yourself; cleaning is the act of confronting nature” 13 likes