Start by marking “الجرأة بعظمة : شجاعة الضعف وكيف يمكن أن نغير من طريقة حياتنا ، حبنا ، تربيتنا ، قيادتنا” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  132,794 ratings  ·  9,053 reviews
توضح براون كيف أن الضعف هو جوهر المشاعر الصعبة مثل الخوف والحزن والاحباط ومحل ميلاد الحب والانتماء والسعادة والتعاطف والابداع والابتكار تبين أنه عندما ننأى بأنفسنا عن الضعف فاننا نحجب أنفسنا عن التجارب التي تجعل لحياتنا معنى وهدفا. الجرأة بعظمة لاتتعلق بالفوز والخسارة ففي عالم تسيطر عليه ثقافة غير كاف أبدا والشعور بالخوف أصبح من طبائعنا يكون الضعف أمرا مدمرا غير مريح بل وخ ...more
Published 2014 by مكتبة جرير (first published December 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about الجرأة بعظمة , please sign up.
Fran I would think so! I'm only 10% in so far and there's already a lot of scope for discussion and learning.
Suzanne Not at all. The concepts apply to any relationship: work, family, love, friends.

·  132,794 ratings  ·  9,053 reviews

Start your review of الجرأة بعظمة : شجاعة الضعف وكيف يمكن أن نغير من طريقة حياتنا ، حبنا ، تربيتنا ، قيادتنا
Andy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Teddy Roosevelt is spinning in his grave if he can hear how his famous quote about "daring greatly" has been turned into sappy psychobabble.

The main theme of the book is "shame." To the author, this is a fundamentally bad thing, even though she acknowledges that shameless people are sociopaths. She also makes the claim that shame has never been shown to be helpful. Actually, there is research suggesting that shame-based societies have less crime and mental illness than societies that are more i
Cecily
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Cecily by: Everyone
This book came highly recommended by seemingly the entire internet, and the concept was one I'm VERY familiar with. I'd watched a couple of Brene Brown's TED talks and I was impressed with the topic of her research and with how long and how thoroughly she's been researching.

Oh yeah, and I also remembered that I am the most sewn up and invulnerable control freak that I know. It's been something I'm aware of, and I wasn't always this way. But I know it's keeping me from joy and love in a lot of a
Timm DiStefano
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For me, and for many of us, our first waking thought of the day is "I didn't get enough sleep." The next one is "I don't have enough time." Whether true or not, that thought of not enough occurs to us automatically before we even think to question or examine it. We spend most of the hours and the days of our lives hearing, explaining, complaining, or worrying about what we don't have enough of... Before we even sit up in bed, before our feet touch the floor, we're already inadequate, already be ...more
Jane
Jun 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't bother writing reviews for books I can't finish. And usually I give the book a fair chance -- say, at least 100 pages -- before giving up. Some books I even read all the way to the end before wishing I could just get my time back.

In this case, I read an interview with the author in O Magazine, and the interview was so interesting that I immediately requested this book from the library.

Well, once the book arrived, I quickly discovered that I had trouble following even the introdu
Kelly
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book rocked, and I was very interested in learning more about how to be more vulnerable and dare to do more things. However, the book was written completely in generalities. I need to hear the details of your research, the way you helped clients overcome their problems with vulnerability, facts, and stories. I need concrete advice and concrete science. Couldn't finish this fluffy-ass book.
Gwen
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: Larissa
Shelves: well-being
I really, really, really wanted to like this book. It came so highly recommended, and it started off so well. The first chapter was spectacular--I found myself nodding along to just about everything: feeling vulnerable, a culture of scarcity, the new economy, etc. This book was speaking to me. My fears, my anxieties, my worries. And I hoped Brown would be the person to help guide me through it all.

But no.

The book promptly went downhill--and fast. Instead of direction and guidance, we get narrati
Alice Gold
Do you want to change the world?
Do you want to have more powerful interpersonal relationships?
Do you want to explore into your own soul
to make sense of your life?
Do you want to live whole-hearted?
Do you want to rid yourself from shame?
Do you want to understand men and women better?
Do you want to give your heart a hug?

I thought I would do something different this time and give you a list of questions for this book review. This book is so jam-packed with the "hard stuff" that I don't even want to
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Daring Greatly was not what I expected it to be instead it gave me a very different outlook to vulnerability and a new understanding of what it means to engage with our vulnerability, understand how shame and shaming others affects us, how to combat shame, and being vulnerable for the sake of making real connections with people. Not only has it helped me understand my vulnerability but understand other people’s vulnerability and understand scarcity and how wholeheartedness can affect us.

I highl
Thomas
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Daring Greatly after watching Brene Brown's amazing TED Talk on the power of vulnerability. I find it fascinating that someone can conduct research centered on human topics such as shame, vulnerability, connection, and happiness. When I first entered college I possessed the notion that research was something done with test tubes and beakers in the back of a laboratory, but Brown's work shows that in-depth research can apply to anyone, inside or outside of academia.

The quality of Brow
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
I don't think the whole premise is very mature.
All the narcissism and vulnerability talk and social media talk... Are their no other problems with people? Other than what they waste their time on FB, whether they are narcissists (catch-all!) and other what-not?
Some points are really good:
Q:
For the first time in history, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced that automobile accidents are now the second leading cause of accidental death in the United States. The leadin
Maxwell
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I feel like I'm pretty late to the game when it comes to reading Brené Brown, but I'm so glad I finally got around to it. She's a thoughtful and compassionate researcher who is able to imbue her work with personal experiences while still maintaining objectivity. It's definitely not a book, or type of book, I'd think to pick up (shoutout to the folks who suggested it to me!) because it's a subject matter I'd generally rather listen to a podcast about or watch an interview/conversation. However, t ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown is not my typical read for me. Science fiction and fantasy are my norms. But I saw this author on Netflix and she was saying things I really needed to hear. I was soaking it up! I needed to jot notes down...so I said forget that! She has a book!
This made me really think and feel and laugh! She is so funny! Who knew I could learn so much while laughing! Now comes the daring part! Pu
Robyn McIntyre
This book was recommended on a blog that I follow by a person whose thinking somewhat mirrors mine. She recommended it in a big way, so I was anxious to read it. And I'm feeling odd about not giving it a higher rating, because I think it probably deserves one. I'm giving it three stars not because I have issues with the content (exactly) or with the writing, but because the subject matter is old hat to me.

Ms. Brown is fairly well known as a speaker and writer on the subject of 'shame' and how it
Terence
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
...nothing is as uncomfortable, dangerous, and hurtful as believing that I'm standing on the outside of my life looking in and wondering what it would be like if I had the courage to show up and let myself be seen.

That quote above is one of the reasons I picked up this book and why I'm willing to actually write about it. I read this sort of book from time to time, but I never review them. I couldn't say why exactly, probably that shame thing Brené Brown goes into throughout the book. I'm dre
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daring Greatly is dense with information on how to combat shame and become vulnerable, authentic, and courageous - not just in romantic relationships, but at work and with your children as well. I have always struggled with vulnerability, but Brown makes a very convincing case as to why it is so important - we can't live fully and wholeheartedly without it. I look forward to implementing some of her strategies, and I am sure that I will be revisiting often. Really a must read for anyone who feel ...more
Theresa Miller
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Brene Brown is fabulous, and I’m so happy I finally got to read this book. I started reading one of her other books, one that was more specifically about her research around shame, and it wasn’t what I needed to be reading then. This, though, was what I needed. She still talks a lot about shame and about fear, and it’s in ways that are relevant for me in my day-to-day life and my work.
One of my favorite parts is her discussion of how over-sharing is not the same as vulnerability. That’s so impo
Heidi The Reader
Brené Brown shares her twelve years of research into shame and gives tools on how to increase one's vulnerability. In this way, she believes each individual can help change the culture of scarcity and pull the world back from a continual cycle of shaming.

We'll build stronger and deeper relationships, strengthen families and have more productive work places. And, by doing this, we will each, in our own way, live in a manner that "dares greatly" every day.

"I also learned that the people who love m
Anne Bogel
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so good. This is one to read and read and read again.
Liz
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay so this author uses Harry Potter, fellow TED favorite Ken Robinson, Top Gun, Teddy Roosevelt, John Gottman, and even The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin... How could I not like this book with all those references to items I like? Yet, she bases this book around solid research and combines together her own personal stories in the right moments to demonstrate her thesis.

Daring greatly... A phrase she has used from Roosevelt.... She writes, "everything I've learned from over a decade of re
Whitney
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Daring greatly is not about winning or losing. It’s about courage.”

Another amazing book by Brene Brown. At this point I really do not think I could pick a favorite as every single one teaches me something, presents material in a different way, and leaves me better off. I highly recommend her as an author to everyone; she has changed my life and the way I view relationships (professional and personal) as well as leadership and personal growth.
Jazzmin Hunter
Dec 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology-crap
There wouldn't be much left if all the sappy autobiographical stuff was removed. The audiobook reader is irritating too. Imagine a breathy voice saying something like "Once again I amazed myself at how amazing I am in spite of all my humility and vulnerability." and it would pretty much sum up my impression of this book.
Dominic
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like it was beautiful serendipity that I stumbled upon Daring Greatly. After reading an interview with Brené Brown someone had posted on Facebook and then finally watching her TED talks on vulnerability and shame (another colleague had recommended TED.com to me a couple years ago, and I'm just now getting on that beautiful train), I knew I had to get my hands on this book.

Three days later I carried the book in my hand. Three days after that I had devoured it. It turns out that these had
Patricia
Sep 10, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
These are my favorite parts of this book:

"Wholehearted living is about engaging in our lives from a place of worthiness. It means cultivating the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough. It's going to bed at night thinking, Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn't change the truth that I am also brave and worthy of love and belonging." (p. 10)

"When it comes to paren
Gail
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-in-2014
I did it again with this book: I pretty much dog-earred every other page! Something I'm working on in 2016 is scaling back with this technique, especially when I have a tendency to abuse it. But dang it all if Brene's insights weren't so great in this (my first read of hers) that I couldn't help myself. I'll share some of my favorites below, but overall a few thoughts:

1) Brene's writing grew on me--I've read enough about her to know she feels her strength is as a researcher, less as a writer. In
Krystal
So I'm pretty pleased to have started my '2018 self development challenge' with an utterly captivating, thought-provoking, soul-searching, five-star read.

This book is just so damn relevant .

We all experience shame and vulnerability.

That seems like such an obvious concept but it took reading this book for me to properly understand that. I'm going to get pretty real here: I struggle a lot with feeling like I'm not worthy, or like I'm not good enough because I can't keep up with peers in certai
Christy Cole
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book - one of the better books of this type that I've read. There were some really great thoughts that will change me. Even with all the analysis and tools, I still struggle with how to actually make vulnerability happen in my own life. Some of my favorite quotes from the book:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena
4.5*

I read a memoir recently that discussed the importance of connecting with people, being vulnerable, and feeling gratitude. I’ve also read books about how childhood trauma and events shape the way we are, how we act/react, and how we think. The concepts in this book are not new, but some of Brené’s findings from her twelve year's of research are, and the way she communications her findings are eye-opening and thought changing. I found myself re-reading many of the passages because they were s
Amir Tesla
آسيبي كه راز نگه داشتن يك اتفاق بد يا شرم آور به سلامت روان وارد مي كنه از خود اون اتفاق به مراتب شديدتر هست. نوشتن اون راز و افكارمون در موردش به ازبين بردن اثرات منفيش بسيار بسيار كمك مي كنه.

When we spend our lives waiting until we’re perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make.

Perfect
Melody Warnick
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t want to read this because I thought, “Shame and vulnerability aren't really issues for me." HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Lindsay
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated
I saw one of Brown’s TED talks years ago. I haven’t re-watched it recently. Many friends and even people I barely know have recommended Brown’s books to me so I thought I’d give one a try. Daring Greatly seemed the most appealing for what I want right now in my life. I would love to be more courageous and daring. Brené Brown makes a killing from her best selling books and also rakes it in as a popular keynote speaker. I was curious to see what she offers.

My initial reaction to this book was conf
Olive oil 1 7 May 06, 2020 02:13AM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 Dec 11, 2019 07:04PM

• Untamed
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
  • So You Want to Talk About Race
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work. Brené is also a visiting professor in management at The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of

Articles featuring this book

"Stay calm and read on" might be our collective slogan for the coming months. Since we all might need some help with that, we asked Goodreads...
“Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” 661 likes
“Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.” 614 likes