Start by marking “Cargo: Leine Basso Thriller #5 (Leine Basso, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cargo: Leine Basso Thriller #5 (Leine Basso, #5)

Cargo: Leine Basso Thriller #5

(Leine Basso #5)

Moneythe universal merchant. Anyone can be bought, anyone can be sold.

Anyone.

Haunted by memories of an op gone bad, former assassin Leine Basso travels to Bangkok in search of a missing backpacker. With help from an old contact, she discovers the man responsible for the girls disappearance is connected to a violent Hong Kong triad and is the linchpin of an extensive
Paperback, 1st edition, 330 pages
Published August 1st 2015 by Duct Tape Press

Start your review of Cargo: Leine Basso Thriller #5 (Leine Basso, #5)
Cathy
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Berkom must have looked up thriller in the dictionary: A novel, play or film with an exciting plot, typically involving crime or espionage', then decided that the definition needed cranking up a notch or twoor six.

I met Leine Basso in Serial Date. I was instantly smitten and stalked her unashamedly through books two and three. I adore her: shes a doer. A job has to be done, she jolly well gets on and does it. She has determination, courage, intelligence and fearlessness. Well, shes an ex
Jay Williams
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Leine Basso is a strong and capable woman. In this adventure she drops back into a life she had abandoned when a friend's daughter goes missing in Thailand. In a parallel subplot her own daughter goes under cover to assist in the investigation of sex traffickers. The action covers several exotic locales that are well but briefly described. The characters all have depth and quickly enter the reader's emotions. The suspense is continuous and the action virtually non-stop. Berkom does a great job ...more
Coco.V
Dec 14, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (12/14/2017)! 💝
Starfire
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I picked this one up as a freebie in one of the BookBub specials, and I read through almost the entire book on the plane journey up from Dunedin. It was fun, brainless and action-packed with a nicely competent female protagonist, a suitably nasty one-dimensional bad guy, and zero thinking required on my part (although that said, there *were* some heart-breaking descriptions of the effects of illegal game hunting and ivory poaching that I had to skip through)

It does make me want to go
Sherry Fundin
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DV Berkom writes some fantastic thriller fiction and her latest, Cargo, does not disappoint. In fact, I think she took it up a notch. I anticipated a great read and wondered who Leine will be killing today. The twists and turns the characters and I went through kept the suspense building as the level of danger grew.

DV Berkom writes of strong, kickass, female protagonists and Leine Basso is a prime example. She is a complex character that is hard on the outside, with a soft filling. She is an
Terry Turrell
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first of DV Berkoms novels that I had read and I'm hooked. The words flowed so seamlessly, I became entirely engrossed in the action that I lost myself, forgetting I was even reading a book. The pictures painted in my head by her descriptions of the African land and animals, the bad guys, and the big game hunting issues were so realistic, I lost myself in this book as if watching a movie. The only question is which one of her many books shall I read next?
Bryan
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!

This was my first book from this author, and I couldn't put it down! That's saying a lot, as I'm not one to normally read a book straight through unless it grabs me. Love the strong female lead!
Emmy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
"DV Delivers a True Mystery Thriller 5+ Stars! "

What did you love best about Cargo?

I loved how I was blindsided by the book. I half expected a decent suspenseful thriller. This knocked me over the head and I had to hold on tight for the ride.

Did the plot keep you on the edge of your seat? How?

The plot was deep and complex. I could not figure out how Leine was going to be the heroine. I held my breath so many times and would have flipped the book to the final pages just to appease my curiosity.

Jim B.
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leine is transforming before our eyes in this book series by DV Berkom. She is still tough and leery of relationships except with April, her daughter. She is so afraid of her choices in men and how people close to her parish. However, she is growing and changing. In Cargo Leine encounters old allies halfway across the world from home and makes new ones when she battles human and animal traffickers while distracted about the safety of a loved one.

This is the latest in the Leine Basso series; I
Colin Rochford
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cargo by D.V. Berkom
An intriguing story with a message. Often authors tend to let the message over-rule the story and the characters. D.V. does not do this. Her stories are gritty, intelligent, plausible for the most part, and exciting.

Her characters are well developed and keep you wanting to turn the pages and find out more about them. Even the baddies are interesting. Horrible yes, but they are baddies.

The atmospherics are well done and attention to detail is quite exciting. for example: "A
Chuck Jelgersma
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gr8 story

When I first started with this story I figured it would be just another spy type of book. By the time I was part way through I realized I was wrong. Lot of believable action with enough twists to make this story very interesting. Definitely worth reading.
HornFan2 (Mike)
Thanks to netgalley.com, D.V. Berkom and Duct Tape Press for the advance ARC for my honest review.

I must confess, that I have all the prior books in this awesome series buried on my Kindle/TBR list and will have to read them now. This one is my favorite of all the 2015 published books I've read.

This one is brilliant written, beautifully done on it's subject content, perfect written to keep the reader reading verse getting upset and not wanting to finish 'Cargo'.

D.V. Berkom takes three hot
TE
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series keeps me on the edge of my seat and I love it. Cargo is gritty, fast paced and full of action and suspense. Leine Basso is like a modern day female version of The Equalizer... you know your day is going to get a whole lot better when she comes to the rescue. I like how Ms Berkom weaves both familiar characters and new ones into each story. I especially like how even though these books are part of a series, they can all be read as stand alone novels...and wish more authors would take ...more
Tami Boreman
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book . Really love the strong female character. And love that these books show how bad human trafficking really effects everyone.
Mikel Miller
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Former professional hit-woman Leine Basso can get into more trouble than most folks, and can usually find a way out. This time shes trying to help a friend find a defiant daughter missing in a foreign country, a task that turns ugly when she discovers a ship with dozens of humans as cargo, including the one shes trying to find. And her own daughter back home has flown off to prove herself as an undercover operative worthy of Leines praise--you can feel the tension and angst tearing at Leine from ...more
Babus Ahmed
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best reads in the Leine Brasso series, Cargo sees Leine trying to track down an American backpacker, Kylie, who has disappeared in Thailand. Taking her role with SHEN as seriously as ever, Leine realises that Kylie won't be the only captive she finds.

However, things do not always go as planned and Leine finds herself captive on the same boat as Kylie being shipped to an unknown destination. Forming an unlikely alliance Leine does what she does best, defeat the poor odds
Ali Mosa
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read all the Leine Basso stories and have enjoyed seeing how her character has changed over time. Cargo brings back many of the same characters, like Leine's on again, off again lover, mostly on again, Santiago Jensen. His former partner is back as is his buxom, built like a brick outhouse new partner, Bodacious Brady.

Cargo has Leine delving into the dark world of human trafficking, not just the sex trade so much in the news but the indentured slave traffic that has desperate people lured
Will Decker
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'll concede that the heroine can slip the pistol from an assailant's grasp before they can respond and that she can shoot through the eye of a needle at 200 yards, but I didn't see any other super moves on her part. Also, there are a few proofing errors in the story, but they can easily be overlooked as the action and pace more than make up for any trivial glitches. Overall, it's a well written thriller that will keep you involved from the beginning to the end. The pace moves quickly from ...more
Al
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2016
Cargo is the fourth book featuring Leine Basso. The short review is it is like the others, intense.

Leine has a talent for getting into tight situations that will have you on the edge of your seat, wondering how, or even if, she'll manage to accomplish whatever she set out to do. How is she going to manage to get out of whatever dangerous situation she's stumbled into. As in some of Leine's past adventures, in Cargo she finds herself dealing with human trafficking and having to find her way in
Toni
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free in exchange for a honest review......An excellent read with a strong, butt-kicking female lead- you can't go wrong. I really enjoyed this book from page one until the end. The first page opens up to action which draws you in and leaves you begging for more. It had a bit of everything; suspense, mystery, and a little romance. I wish i had started at book one in the Leine Basso series so i would't have been so lost on the characters but for sure I will start at book ...more
June
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will keep you engrossed with the nightmares involved with human trafficking. I loved the strong female character of Leine and how she is trying to make a different life for herself after being an assassin. I also appreciated the risk she takes to save the people caught up in reality of human trafficking. The story line is terrific but more than that is the writer's ability to create and capture the beautiful scenery that the story occurs in. I can feel the atmosphere that she is able ...more
Cindy
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't seem to get enough of D.V. Berkom's novels. I have read all of her novels and loved each and every one of them. Cargo stands at the top of my list of favorites. How this lady does it with writing all these awesome books is beyond me, she's one writer I will always follow and be a fan to. Cargo had me from the first page, pulled me deep inside the story to where I never wanted to leave. Loved, Love it!!! Now I cannot wait to read more.
Mary J
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another 5 star book by DV Berkom. She describes a sceen so well that you can completely picture it in your mind and feel as though you are there.

The relationship between Leine and Santa has grown and she is opening herself more yet the character is still so strong as an individual.

The story was creative and kept me on the edge of my seat. I recommend this book to all and I look forward to Berkom's next book.
Mary J Moody
LooseBoots
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know people say they couldn't put a book down but literally I couldn't. I even woke up at 3 a.m. And finished the last 18 %. What a fantastic series. Great story sadly based on some true facts regarding poaching for ivory. Leine is a wonderful character with fast action all the way but with a tender and human side. Hope there are more to come.
Ken Robson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The 4th in the Leine Basso series.
Another page turner from D.V. Berkom!

Got it on the 6th, started reading that night and finished yesterday (7th).
In this one Leine goes looking for a friends daughter who has gone missing in Bangkok. Se finds out she has been kidnapped and tracks her to an international smuggler. Cue lots of action and the illegal ivory trade in Africa.
Jana Gundy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still as good as the first!

Leine travels to Thailand and ends up in Africa this time, trying to find a woman who has been kidnapped. Leine runs into trouble but with help from a new friend, manages to save the day. This book was nonstop action with great details. The only thing that would've made it better, was if we had more Santa involved.
Maureen Lunn
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is everything I was looking for in a page-turning, internationally-set, strong female character, suspenseful vacation/travel read. It weaves in real-day justice issues to boot. I haven't read the previous Leine Basso books but will go back now. This one sucked me in, couldn't put it down, so for that it's a win!
Gail
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

It's got everything except paranormal, thank goodness. It's nice to read a normal or not so normal story. A retired assassin is betrayed and a man who makes his living poaching are kidnapped and headed towards death. Will she survive? Well, read the book and find out. Very exciting.
Judy Evenson
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A page turner from the streets of Bangkok to the savanna of Tanzania. A new light on human trafficking and poaching of rhinos and elephants and more. Action filled with a sense of real world problems we face today.
Robert C. smith
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting, Spellbinding, Factual Fiction at Its Best!

Berkom claims she writes what "voices in her head" tell her; obviously these voices are light years beyond many writer's "voices!" Adding Her name to my growing list of "favorite writers," I can't wait to read more of her works.

• Wrath of the Sister
  • Gia in the City of the Dead (Gia Santella #1)
  • Bullet Drop (London Carter, #4)
  • Close Your Eyes (Martin Rhodes, #1)
  • His First His Second (Alicia Friend Investigation, #1)
  • But Not Forever (Clint Wolf Mystery #4)
  • Violated (Brandon Fisher FBI, #5)
  • In the Line of Duty (Madison Knight, #7)
  • Brainrush (Brainrush #1)
  • Blessed are the Peacemakers (Gabriella Giovanni Mysteries #5)
  • New York (The Crime Beat #1)
  • Bone Crack (Gina Mazzio #6)
  • Hat Check (Troy Bodean Adventure #1)
  • Sufficient Evidence: A Novel
  • I Have a Secret (Sloane Monroe, #3)
  • Last Breath (Sam Archer, #8)
  • Steel Force (Jack Steel #1)
  • Dark Lava (Lei Crime, #7)
DV Berkom is the USA Today bestselling author of two action-packed thriller series featuring strong female leads (Leine Basso and Kate Jones). Her love of creating resilient, kick-ass women characters stems from a lifelong addiction to reading spy novels, mysteries, and thrillers, and longing to find the female equivalent within those pages.

DV currently lives in the Pacific Northwest with her

Leine Basso (9 books)
  • A Killing Truth: Leine Basso Thriller #1 (Leine Basso Thrillers, #1)
  • Serial Date: Leine Basso Thriller #2 (Leine Basso Thrillers, #2)
  • Bad Traffick: Leine Basso Thriller #3 (Leine Basso Thrillers, #3)
  • The Body Market: Leine Basso Thriller #4 (Leine Basso #4)
  • The Last Deception: Leine Basso Thriller #6 (Leine Basso Thrillers, #6)
  • Dark Return: Leine Basso Thriller #7 (Leine Basso Thrillers, #7)
  • Absolution: Leine Basso Thriller #8 (Leine Basso #8)
  • Dakota Burn: Leine Basso Thriller #9 (Leine Basso #9)