Start by marking “Discovery (Drakyl Ranch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Discovery (Drakyl Ranch, #1)

Discovery

(Drakyl Ranch #1)

Drakyl Ranch is a multi-book series which is meant to be read in order.

Discovery is Book 1.

Living in Montana and working the ranch is all Aaron wants to do for the rest of his life. Diagnosed as allergic to the sun thirteen years previous, every day is a struggle to get out of bed. Having to wear long-sleeved shirts, gloves, and even material to cover his face from the
Paperback
Published September 1st 2015 by NQWYE Press (first published August 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Discovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovery

Start your review of Discovery (Drakyl Ranch, #1)
El
Sep 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am honestly not sure how I finished this book. I bought it on pre-order, before there was a first chapter to take a look at, because the summary sounded really interesting. But my god, every single page was an uphill battle until I finally reached the end.

So, basic premise: there are vampires (vampyr) and drakyl. The former are disgusting and withered and smell terrible and are so stereotypically evil that I honestly expected Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove to spring out of the pages.
yzma-emperors-new-groove
The
Wendy-Book Lovers 4Ever
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, looking forward to more.
Angela Goodrich
As a fan of Durston’s writing, I was excited to get the opportunity to review Discovery. While I love paranormal romances, most of my reads have been of the MF variety. After finishing Discovery I now have another MM vampire book to add to my reread list. While human-vampire hybrids are not new to the genre, I liked the way in which the author added her own personal twist to make the creatures her own (or at least it’s nothing I’ve encountered before). Actually I enjoyed it so much that I was ...more
Gay Media Review
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is so different to any paranormal m/m romance books that I have read. It took me a little while to get into the story, but once Aaron and Jaret had met, all hell was let loose!! I then actually began to really enjoy this book, it was about the romance building between Aaron and Jaret, but more importantly it was setting the scenes for further books. It also explained as to why everyone was at the ranch, and it was then you also found out that Aaron was not the only Drakyl on the ranch, but ...more
Jessie G.
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thianna-durston
3.75 Stars When the tour for this book hit my inbox and I saw that it was an MM paranormal with cowboys, I knew I had to read it. Who doesn’t love a gay cowboy vampire? Or drakyl in this case. The beginning had a bit of an awkward feel to me, with some wording that felt stilted. That quickly faded and I can’t say that the wording changed or I just got into the story, but it became a non-issue for me. I say this because, if you get the same impression I did at the beginning, I urge you to keep ...more
Sarina
3.5*

Review written for Love Bytes Reviews.

Jaret has spent the last five centuries traveling around, enjoying his life, until a trip to the United States changes everything. Running for his life from a local Vampyr clutch, he comes across a scent that’s so enticing he can’t help but follow it to locate the source. Aaron figures he doesn’t have much time left; his sun allergy is getting worse and its almost all he can do just to get out of bed in the mornings. Going out for what he thinks will be
Kirsty Bicknell
To be honest I am usually put off when a story begins with a list of definitions and in the case of Discovery I avoided these in the hope that Thianna Durston would explain her paranormal distinctions a part of the plot. I think this is something she achieves well so I am not going to spend my review describing Vampyr and Drakyl species to you!
Although Discovery is clearly a paranormal story, Thianna Durston ensures that her characters are strong enough to drive the plot forward and this is
Andrea Goodell
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not your normal Vampire/good v’s evil book.

I’ve always been a fan of Thianna work, and this is no different.

We’ve got the bad guys, Vampyr, and the good guys, drakyl. They both go back hundred of years, hating each other pretty much the whole time.

Jaret, has been around for hundreds of years and to escape the vampyr he swims across the ocean and discovers a scent he must have. He finds that to be Aaron. Aaron, found out many years ago that he had a rare blood disease and is allergic to the sun.
Mari  Cardenas
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Jaret has been traveling in search of adventures for most of his existence and his last adventure puts him in the path of more of his kind, drakyls. Only things aren't quite as he expected them to be when he finally tracks them down. Especially since he's being followed by a group of vampyrs set on killing him.

Aaron has been suffering from a sun allergy and growing sicker and weaker, to the point he doesn't think
Cathy Brockman
Jaret is on the run from some evil vampyr and lonely for more than a hookup. Aaron has a sun sickness and thinks he is dying, and worries about his young cousins since his Uncle that is raising them is in his 80’s and also dying. These two men meeting is life-changing for them both.
What could be better than vampires? Vampires and cowboys! Discovery is a very intriguing concept. I will warn you there are smelly rotting vampires not sparkly ones, and there is killing both humans and animals for
Pam Eller
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars... This was an interesting take on the vampire/vampyr legend.. Drakyl are not vampyr but not human. Mortal enemies with vampyr, they general hide from them or use their wits to escape them. The vampyr in this book are... uh... well, disgusting. Drakyl are not.

Aaron is a sweet character. He is a generally nice guy who loves his family, but he thinks he is dying. I feel sorry for him, that he suffered all those years, because he did not know what he was.

Jaret is wilder, older, used to
Molly Lolly
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four and a half stars!
I loved this story. The lore created was so interesting. I really liked how Ms. Durston went into the science a little bit about the differences between vampyr and drakyl. The storyline about the vampyr Jaret pissed off was intriguing. I’m curious where that’s going to go in the next book. I enjoyed seeing Jaret and Aaron growing together slowly then falling for each other. They take such good care of each other. I loved how they and the five
SiKReviews
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a new take on what we know about Vampires. There are Vampyr who are what things of nightmares. Then there are Drakyls, born human until they change.

Aaron spent years thinking he is going to die from his sun allergy. Little did he know that Drakyl was more than his last name.

Jaret is on the run from the Vampr when he smells more of his kind. He never thought he would find a Drakyl who didn't know who he was. But once he meets Aaron, Jaret knows he has found his joined.

I have to say that
Kimberley
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Copy graciously provided by InkedRainbowReads.

4 Stars for a Captivating start to a series!

I don't know how I have not read this author before, but better late than never!!!! Wow. For a book under 200 pages, it pulled me in and kept my attention.

I like to step out of my "comfort reading zone" and explore new authors. Thianna Durston gives you such great details, you can't help but believe the world they live in does exist and want to be a part of it.

I loved the chemistry between Jaret and
Marsha Spence
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-para
Really liked this! Interesting take on the vampire world...
Leslie
Nov 26, 2015
Crystal
Jan 22, 2016

Drakyl Ranch (2 books)
  • Duty (Drakyl Ranch, #2)