Start by marking “Dead Secret” as Want to Read:

Dead Secret

From the author of the Harry Martinez thrillers comes a gripping psychological suspense novel. Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Haynes and Gone Girl.

Two quick shots. One for him. One for you.

After the death of her three-year-old daughter, Jodie has nothing left to live for – or almost nothing.

Published January 7th 2016 by HarperCollins Publishers UK

To ask other readers questions about Dead Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Secret

Start your review of Dead Secret
sue
What and absolute crazy ride. This pulled me in and spat me out. I was so engrossed I didn't realize the clock ticking away and nothing was getting done at home.

This story had me literally sunk right into its pages.

There is nothing more thrilling than me to find a story of a child missing or kidnapped or whatever in a story because I just know there are going to be all kinds of emotions coming to the fore, not only for the characters but for me too and this surely happened whilst reading
Lee
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had not heard of Ava McCarthy before picking up this book but I will definitely keep my eye out for more of her work, as a first time author she has done an excellent job with this story.
Jodie is a very tormented soul and living every mother's nightmare, her husband Ethan has killed her 3 year old daughter after she stated she intended to leave him and his abuse. Ethan is a narcissistic and truly evil person, Jodie makes a decision to take his life and then her own. Jodie's courage will be
Tracy Fenton
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
A fast paced thriller which I read in a day.
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on www.snazzybooks.com

Dead Secret by Ava McCarthy combines suspense, mystery and action to create a really great debut novel. I was so impressed at Ava McCarthy’s writing throughout this novel; although I don’t have children myself the writing made me put myself in her shoes and imagine what she must be feeling. Jodie’s desperation at times was really powerful and I truly hated her husband the more I read about how he treated her. McCarthy portrayed this behaviour in what I imagine is
Dominique
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it

Abby, her three year old daughter is dead. Jodie wants to end her life but she has one more thing she has to do: kill the person responsible for her daughter`s death, her husband Ethan. She succeeds but she`s still alive and now in jail. While in prison, she discovers that Ethan had a lot of secrets and Jodie will try discover who her husband really was.
Jodie is a great character. In the beginning she was weak because she had nothing to live for but then she became this strong heroine who you
Joanne Robertson
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was the first book I had read by this author and it certainly won't be the last! It was a fabulous fast paced novel with a killer plot that came as a real surprise to me and that doesn't happen often.
Jodie feels like life shouldn't go on after the loss of her 3 year old daughter so plans to kill her controlling husband and then herself. Her suicide fails though and she finds herself in prison for her husband's murder. After a couple of years a journalist contacts her-with information that
Richard
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I already knew this author from her previous work with the hugely successful Henrietta 'Harry' Martinez series. It has been a while since those three books were released so I was keen to read this latest offering, Dead Secret, promoted as a standalone pyschological thriller.
It is as good as those other novels currently around in this genre that deal with when relationships go sour. The tagline here is "How well do you know your husband".
The premise being that Ethan, Jodie's 'perfect' husband is
Janet
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Friends
Shelves: netgalley-read
Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review.
Ethan, Jodie and little Abby an apparently typical family but behind closed doors all is not as it seems.
Ethan is a top lawyer, suave and good looking but also controlling and manipulative. Their marriage is breaking down, Jodie wants a divorce but when Ethan finds out her plans he murders their little girl. No longer able to carry on and with seemingly no other option she takes a gun and goes after the man she
Maha
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most distinguished mystery thrillers I read. The book starts with the very deep and profound grief of Jodie, the wife of a very self-centered controlling husband Ethan. She is in such a disturbed state that nothing matters to her anymore. Having lost all that matters to her, she is focused on one thing – REVENGE – and she is determined to do it now taking her own life too as a finale for that sad revenge.
Now, things don’t quite go as planned and Jodie has to face the aftermath
Kelly (purplebookstand)
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dead Secret

Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins Uk for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow!!
I finished this book very fast, I couldn't put it down. I read while cooking, cleaning, ironing...!! I have never read anything by this author before but this won't be the last book I read of hers.

Dead Secret tells the story of Jodie, a young woman who decides to take the ultimate revenge on her torturous husband, after she discovers that he is responsible for the death of their daughter.

As
The Book Review Café
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Eva McCarthy, but it certainly won’t be my last! Dead secrets is one of those books that pulls you in from the opening chapter. It’s dark and so very twisted! Jodie has nothing to live for, her daughter has been murdered by her husband, and she has only one wish, to kill her husband Ethan, and then herself. When Horrifying secrets emerge regarding Ethan, Jodie’s strength is pushed to the limits, like any good plot there are many twist and turns along the ...more
Helen (TBC)
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Many thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins for the opportunity to read and review this fab book

This was my first Ava McCarthy novel but it certainly won't be my last. I loved her writing style, the build up of the characters, the dizzying plot and pace of this story. Dead Secret is a fabulously tense book which kept me turning the pages even though it was, in parts, uncomfortable to read. It was clever, well constructed and the ending was a total stomach churning surprise, which doesn't often
Stephen Donovan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thriller which unravels into something truly remarkable. The twists were unbelievable. This book ended up flooring me (metaphorically, of course).
Breakaway Reviewers
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some characters are truly evil but McCarthy takes it to a totally new level
I absolutely love Ava McCarthy’s novels; when it comes to crime thrillers she really delivers and this is no exception.

The book opens with Jodie McCall loading her husband Ethan’s gun, prior to shooting him in the head, after which she plans to kill herself. The scene is set with Jodie going to intercept her husband at the 4th July fireworks and her interactions as she encounters neighbours are not friendly; people are
Kerry
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Ava McCarthy really knows how to keep a reader in suspense!

Dead Secret begins with Jodie deciding she's going to kill her controlling husband, Ethan, then kill herself. She has nothing left to live for as Ethan killed their 3 year old daughter - his way of punishing her for threatening to leave him. He could have killed her, but he knows that taking away her daughter is the most effective way of making her suffer for the rest of her life.
I immediately sympathised with Jodie. As a mother I
Sara Kettleborough
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I begun Dead Secret, I hadn’t paid too much attention to the blurb, which I was really grateful for when reading this as I think it really added to the mysterious and thrilling nature of the novel – I really had no idea what to expect or what was coming! I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this novel and managed to plough through it in just a couple of hours.

I really warmed to the main character and I was so hoping she hadn’t committed the crime she supposedly had. I really
Angelnet
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle, net-galley
Dead Secret is one of those books that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and drags you along for the ride. Jodie is an artist and housewife. When she threatens to leave her psychologically abusive husband Ethan he murders their daughter just to punish her. Shaken by the realisation that she really had married a monster, Jodie kills him.

Convicted of murder she is two years into her prison sentence when she is contacted by a reporter who wants to talk to her about her husband, about her crime.
Sharon
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC of Dead Secret.

Following the death of her 3 year old daughter, Jodie has nothing left to lose or to live for, other than to kill the man she holds responsible for her death, her "perfect" husband Ethan.
I don't want to go into the plot of the book as there are so many twists and turns and shocks that I wouldn't want to give anything away.

I read this book in less than a day - I couldn't put it down. It is a taut roller coaster of a ride! You feel Jodie's pain as
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jodie plans to kill her husband and then kill herself. She feels she has nothing left to live for. Her 3 year old daughter has died probably at the hands of husband Ethan who is cruel and controlling man. Her plan doesn't succeed and she finds herself in prison instead. What follows next is one twist and turn after another.

This is a cleverly written story with no wasted pages of narrative. You really feel that every word matters. The characters are well written and unusual. I really enjoyed
Carol Peace
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I was lucky to get an ARC of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.
Jodie really wanted to kill her husband and then kill herself and she thought she had it planned so well but not everything goes to plan, She was married to Ethan who was sytematically undermining her and after the death of their daughter Abby who Ethan admitted killing, she felt she had nothing to lose. It seems Ethan has yet more secrets to reveal and it sets Jodie on a roller coaster path that she can't seem to stop,
Bookread2day
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
After the death of Jodie's three-year-old daughter Abby, she has nothing to live for. She had been fighting her husband Ethan for so long. Fighting for freedom. Freedom to work and be independent, freedom for Abby to make friends outside the house, freedom for herself to do the same, freedom to sell her paintings. And more recently, the freedom to leave. There was nothing left for Jodie to fight for now that Abby was dead. If it wasn't for Ethan three-year-old Abby would be still be alive. Jodie ...more
Fiona Mccormick
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
When Jodie plans to leave her controlling husband Ethan, he exacts the ultimate revenge by killing their 3 year old daughter. Jodie, feeling life is not worth living without her daughter, vows to kill him then kill herself.
However, all is not as it seems and the resulting story is a rollercoaster of cat and mouse chases, family secrets, lies, abuse, retribution and revenge. There are many twists and turns and quite a
Sophie Bristow Harris
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! This is the first book that I've read by Ava McCarthy, and definitely not the last. It was a roller coaster of a read that completely had me enthralled with it. The characters are strong, well written and believable. I was thrown head first into the story and shocked with astonishment by the end. I did not see that massive twist coming at all!
I would like to thank the author, her publishers and Net Galley for letting me read "Dead Secret". It was an intricately woven book that I
Denise
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
Ava McCarthy has written an excellent psychological thriller, I found the book to be a well thought out plot, with excellent descriptions and emotions, and is written in an easy flowing style.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves a great psychological thriller and I will certainly read more by Ava McCarthy.
Theweebarrell
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was engrossed from the beginning i loved everything about this book, it was well written, loved the characters, and great great story line. There was plenty to keep me riveted. When i thought i had it figured out there there was another twist. Cant wait to read the next book
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dead secret by ava mccarthy.
Two quick shots. One for him. One for you.
She has one task to fulfil before she takes her own life. And that’s to kill the man she holds responsible for her daughter’s death – her seemingly perfect husband, Ethan.
But Ethan is hiding more than just his true nature. And as more horrifying secrets from his past emerge, Jodie’s strength will be pushed to the limit…
A
Kath
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book literally knocked my socks right off and chased then round the room a couple of times for good measure!
I thought I was clever guessing what I thought was the twist and, although I had indeed worked that out nicely, I was completely under prepared for what happened next.
I loved this book right from the first chapter. It was nearly time for bed and I had just finished and logged my previous read and thought that I'd just choose and queue up my next. I chose this and loaded it onto
Megan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My book blog: http://publishedmoments.co.uk

Jodie only needed to fire two bullets. One for her and one for her husband, Ethan. She had nothing to live for any more since the death of her little girl, Abby. A death at the hands of her husband...something which she cannot physically prove to the authorities, but something Ethan has admitted to her - he is what psychologists call a 'family annihilator' but Jodie isn't convinced that he fits the full profile.

When Jodie has the courage to shoot Ethan,
Maria
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Can you imagine that your husband killed your daughter simply to enjoy seeing you suffer?
This is why Jodie decided to kill her husband Ethan and herself, she could not live any more time with the pain of having lost her lovely daughter Abby and the thought that her husband killed her just for the pleasure to make her pain. He had to die...
The shame is that the plan didn't work as Jodie thought... Ethan is dead, but she is still alive and has to pass her life in prison... And then, some reporter
Vicky-Leigh Sayer
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Ethan McCall is a disturbing individual. From the start of Dead Secret he is manipulative, controlling, and obsessive, but it isn't until the ending of the novel that we truly see how monstrous he is.

After killing his own daughter his wife Jodie is determined to take both Ethan's life and her own - after all she has nothing to live for. Her husband is a murderer and her daughter is dead. But something goes horribly wrong and Jodie lives.

Years later from her prison cell via Novak a struggling
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle English My...: Dead Secret, by Ava McCarthy 1 6 Jul 15, 2016 12:50AM

• Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Last Lie
  • The Marriage Betrayal
  • No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)
  • Someone Is Lying
  • Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)
  • Don't You Dare
  • The Accusation
  • Twisted
  • Beneath The Surface
  • Who Goes There?
  • Losing Leah
  • Second Sight
  • Peace
  • Caged (Agent Sayer Altair, #1)
  • Super-Cannes