Start by marking “Marketing Warfare” as Want to Read:
Marketing Warfare

Marketing Warfare

The book that changed marketing forever is now updated for the new millennium

In 1986, Marketing Warfare propelled the industry into a new, modern sensibility and a world of unprecedented profit. Now, two decades later, this Annotated Edition provides the latest, most powerful tactics that have become synonymous with the names Ries and Trout. New content includes in-depth a
Hardcover, Annotated, 20th Anniversary Edition, 216 pages
Published December 13th 2005 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Marketing Warfare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marketing Warfare

Start your review of Marketing Warfare
Curtis
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book off a dusty shelf at work a few minute before leaving for a business trip. I only took it to brush up on the background of a few Historical Battles, but I got hooked. It really helped me understand why I don't understand corporate management, and what things they were doing right and what things they were doing wrong. Most importantly, it gave me a the keys to success in the market place. Some of my favorite quotes were (from memory not word for word)

1) Winners tell jokes,
Alice
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
marketing warfare 笔记
Outwitting, outflanking and outplaying the other team

Customer-oriented — competition!

⭐️The principle of force
“The greatest possible number of troops should be brought into action at the decisive point. ”

“The art of war with a numerically inferior army consists in always having larger forces than the enemy at the point which is to be attacked or defended. ” Napoleon

The “better people” fallacy
Big company—usually has average people
Win the battle with strategy
Quantity>quality
人多势
Darius Torres
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The best marketing book aren't written by Harvard Business School's teachers, the best marketing books are written by war generals.", this is a good startup.
Mansi Kabra
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: practical
War analogies never get old, especially when applied in the right context. At first, I thought the book was a pun on how companies are literally "fighting" under the pretext of marketing; but the book explores the strategic underplay in action which is insightful indeed. A crash course in understanding market behavior.
Abdul Wahid Khan
This is one of the most famous books in Marketing readings and after reading it, I felt it is a must read. It really shows a different way of thinking Marketing and how Marketing can save the day by using proper battle tactic. Its applications are really fascinating and explained in a very clear way by giving lot of examples in lot of industries.
Karen
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Totally love this book, explains perfectly Marketing warfare strategies applied in famous companies. You get to understand it very well, is super interesting and even people who are not familiar with marketing terminology can get the ideas.
Aman Sharma
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I read this book just after reading Blue Ocean Strategy and also watching a video by Jack Trout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-d1...), so that I could get the exact philosophy of Jack Trout about marketing. I would recommend others to do the same and watch the video before going into the perspective of Jack Trout for marketing, it's helpful. ;-)

At first, I thought that this book will have a very different perspective from Blue Ocean Strategy, because, in Blue Ocean Strategy marketing w
John MP
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply one of my favourite marketing books, and one that has completed changed my perspective on what it takes to understand the market. True that marketing tactics of previous centuries may not have survived today, but the argument the authors make is that military tactics are a fair comparison (no spoilers, but the reason they give sounds perfectly logical). If you enjoy the topic of History (specifically, military) and want to know more about Marketing, this is an easy enough of a read and a ...more
Arush
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, explains perfectly Marketing warfare strategies applied in famous companies across the globe. Helps explain with examples different concepts of marketing warfare while drawing parallels from conventional war strategies. You get to understand it very well, is super interesting and even people who are not familiar with marketing terminology can get the ideas.
Tango Wu
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't usually count WORK-related books as books, or, not for Goodreads. But I would say Al Ries made a perfect exception by bringing considerable good sources of history/logics into the business world
M
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must read for anyone beginning to study marketing. A very easy read with very profound insight. Sets the tone for how to conduct any marketing campaign.
Dev Ayan
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly informative and up to date. I would recommend this to anyone interested in marketing or strategy.
NePo
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's really old.
It speaks more about war than marketing.
Anna
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I should give 3,5. Part of that book is great, brilliant even. But part - just boring...
Aayushi Shrivastava
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Although the initial chapters seem a bit uninteresting, other parts of the book makes it a worthy read!
Animesh Mitra
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book on marketing warfare strategy. All the marketers are like military-guerrilla commanders. Life is war so as sales, advertising and marketing
Mahsa
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want start a new startups this book is very helpful, after you read it you can set up new strategy for your job.😉
Jayant
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily, one of the best books on marketing I've come across! Must-read for everyone
Ted Axon
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. The best way to understand what is positioning. Though the marketing philosophy behind it is a little bit outdated.
Mark Gazica
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some of the content is dated but the principles are timeless. Very clear and concise with lots of great examples. Ries and Trout don't pull any punches or mince any words. Great quick read.
Ahmed Gatri
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very resourceful and valuable book. This is one of my first lecture in Marketing and I can assume that the Idea of analogie between Marketing and the strategy of Wareware is genious.
Avneesh Bansal
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tim Ponygroom
I gave away copies of the 1986 version, alongside Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace. Together, they were my introduction to the concepts of Guerilla Marketing. No pair of books were more useful to me in my career in Direct Marketing. I read several others by Al Reis and Jack Trout and none wasted my time.

I haven't read the anniversary edition. I look forward to doing so.
Aditya
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the 4th book in the ries an trout series that i have been reading, and to be honest, it is not very different than the others. somehow, the examples seem to very old, and it becomes a little difficult to relate it with the current market scenario. Some parts are excellent, specially burger wars, and cola wars. Extremely well written, and very unlike what I have read about these two wars in other books.
Pratik Burman
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As expected a true classic... worth reading... two concepts that I loved.... FIRST "The ivory tower think tank approach" & "taking your senior management in a conference room" to develop with get away from it all point of view are destined fail - Strategy should follow tactics and the goal of strategy is to achieve tactical results..... SECOND "The company decides what to do and the advertising agency decides how to do it" - so the knowledge of tactics never impacts strategy formulation..... ...more
Dzijana Liashkevich
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
In my view,this book is a good thing for beginners:a lot of common marketer's and ,in whole,companies' strategy mistakes are shown there,what is very useful.Also i want to admit a lot of interesting examples,based on real life,real companies,which products we use every day:IBM,Xerox,Coca-Cola and the stuff like that. But ,as for me,i don't like the way the authors "impose" some ideas in the book like it is a general truth and it can't be otherwise.

Mahmoud Khoder
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read to learn from the past, to learn from the old history so that I learn the principles, the mistakes, what worked what didn't, knowledge cannot be satisfied by reading we must apply. Read, learn, apply, and we must not forget to think, brainstorm, validate our learnings, test assumptions. It is from the history we learn, and then from the present we teach back, the future remains the future.
Katie
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I had to read this book in my Master's program for my Marketing class. I love the analagies in this book for basic marketing skills and techniques. Something to read if you own your own business or work in the marketing field.
Lincoln
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this, the warfare discussion was interesting as it has been a pet subject of mine lately, makes some good points, similar content in some places such as the beer wars as was in differentiate or die and positioning, though it is a refreshing anecdote every time I read it.
Howard
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Howard by: Forbes or Fortune Magazine
When I read it in the mid-1080's it was easily the best book I'd come across on marketing. It influenced the strategic positioning of WestPro as a niche player - or in the vernacular of the authors, in the "guerrilla warfare" category.

• Marketing Management
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Kotler on Marketing: How to Create, Win, and Dominate Markets
  • Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors
  • The Financier (Trilogy of desire, #1)
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)
  • Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
  • All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
  • Principles of Marketing
  • Marketing 3.0: From Products to Customers to the Human Spirit
  • Computer Science With C++ Concepts File Handling Data Structures - Vol. I and II
  • Computer Science with C++ for Class XI
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Head First Python
  • Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
Al Ries is a marketing professional and author. He is also the co-founder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries coined the term "positioning", as related to the field of marketing, and authored Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, an industry standard on the subject.
Ries graduated from DePauw Universit