Start by marking “The Silver Child” as Want to Read:
The Silver Child

The Silver Child

Maia Starfield is on the run, having successfully hidden her ability to create silver just by singing—until government thugs arrived to take her away. Her mother sent her out the door just in time, giving her only one piece of advice: Find Dr. Martus.

Albert Martus has no idea why Maia was sent to find him—the doctor who delivered her 17 years ago. But from the moment she
Published July 19th 2015

Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
DNF @ 10% because I was having to force myself to read.

I received a copy of this book for review. This does not affect my rating or the contents of my review.

There was plenty of potential here, but I think this book could have done with some tighter editing. So much should have been explored more.

I think the story completely lost me when Martus, the doctor, decided that finding a piece of silver in the mouth of a newborn was not worthy of further investigation. Telling someone that the baby was
Paula Farrington
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Silver Child" will have you turning pages and on the edge of your seat while cheering for a heroine who must learn her own strengths and power, battling against all odds with the help of a rousing cast of unlikely characters, committed to defeating a totalitarian regime that hides their quest for control behind a spiritual mask. A good read and gripping story.
Jamie Weaver
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This gripping story is told from both the perspective of seventeen year old Maia and Dr. Martus, who had delivered her under strange circumstances. The alternating voices create a suspenseful story of both brutality and perseverance. A great read for older teens as well as adults.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 27%

See my full review on Books Are My Fandom on July 2nd!

I was having a really hard time with this one. The sentences are bulky and quite repetitive, the plot is not really progressing in a timely fashion for me, and there was so much confusion only to have it cleared up with a info dump a couple pages later. The plot was interesting but awkwardly paced and I found myself skimming to get ahead so I didn't have
Dasan Walker
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was super good and it was kinda confusing at some parts and it was harder for me to read, but the story was really cool and the characters were really good and the way they had things happen was really cool too! I would recommend this to like 9th graders and I think it has other books too that you could get into, it has I think 3 books out about the silver child series! It is crazy at times, like they live in a junk yard, the silver child and his friends live in a junk yard and they lo ...more
Bonnie Lightcap
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even as adults, we thoroughly enjoyed this read. The story is well-paced, thoughtful and entertaining. The challenges and discoveries for both Maia and Martus speak to all generations. This will become a definite gift for younger generations in our family. Might we read more about Maia as she grows into her new identity? Let's hope so!
Nancy McC
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be an intelligently written exciting romp into a great fantasy that encourages us all to look for something amazing and special in ourselves.

It's a great read when you need a treat.
Lorna Holland
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult
Full review now up on my blog: http://www.thewritinggreyhound.co.uk/...

At the end of the day, this story boils down to the age-old fight of good versus evil - the rebels versus the Brotherhood. But it's the constant reminder of the religious legends, which are continually referenced and therefore constantly in the back of the reader's minds, which makes it stand out. Maia is special and she has a unique gift, there's no doubt about that, but she isn't defined by that gift. Even upon learning of
Nicole Field
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel as though the cover of this book, although gorgeous, misrepresented a little of the story to be found inside. Looking at it, I figured a YA fantasy with a female protagonist.

Maia is one of two protagonists, and though she is seventeen, she is an old seventeen. By that I mean that, when we meet her, her mother has just been mothered and the mysterious Brotherhood is after her.

Not quite YA in target age group, this the Brotherhood's existence in this novel brings out some truly horrific (
Susan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
On one level the Silver Child is a fantastical story about a girl who turns out to be a prophesied savior. This girl, Maia, must face sacrifices and hardships and her own disbelief in herself. She is guided only by an elderly doctor named Martus, Gods she doesn't recognize, and those who worship her.

On another level this book is a coming of age story for both that teenage girl and that doctor. The girl learns what it means to grow into herself, and the doctor learns to live meaningfully again ye
Ann Schremp
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this lovely book when it was first published. It is a good read indeed with charming characters and a unique plot line. 5 stars
Penny Van der lith
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Don't get much time to read and its not a genre I normally go for, but it was a wonderful holiday read. Cant wait to read the next Nancy Norbeck!
Beth
Dec 02, 2016
Janet Whitehead
Aug 21, 2017
 Ernie O'connor
This book has vore in it
Jz Jarvis
May 02, 2016
Judith
Mar 04, 2019
Nancy Norbeck
Aug 20, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Christine
Jenny
Feb 13, 2016
John Deltuvia
Nov 29, 2015
Nancy Norbeck wrote her first story, inspired by her brother’s case of chicken pox, when she was in fourth grade. She flirted with writing off and on over the years, but began to take it seriously in high school, and then in college. After teaching writing to English as a Second Language students for several years, and working on her own writing projects, she enrolled in Goddard College’s MFA in c ...more