Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:
In the Dark

In the Dark

(A Holt Foundation Story #1)

Marissa Rooney stands in her daughter’s empty dorm room, a half-used vial of insulin clutched in her trembling hand. Brooke has been missing for days. Her roommate hasn’t seen her since that night in the bar. And if Marissa has Brooke’s insulin, it means that Brooke does not.

Published August 4th 2015 by Kindle Press (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Sue
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I saw “In The Dark” by Chris Patchell, on Netgalley, I was first attracted to the vivid cover. Then after reading the initial description of the book, I was intrigued and knew I had to read this book. I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. Being a reader of mystery, suspense psychological thrillers, this novel was right up my alley!

An amazing book that had my full attention, and had me flipping the pages as fast as I could.

This novel deals with the power of a mother’s love, and t
Jan
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, suspense
In The Dark is an action packed page turner that will definitely get your attention!

Marissa is a struggling, single Mother of two beautiful girls. When her eldest daughter Brooke goes missing, she gets the help of an unlikely ally which forces the police to get involved early on. Enter Seth, an investigating officer with secrets of his own and something to prove. Marissa and Seth are drawn to each other but finding Brooke is front and center, as Brooke is a diabetic and the clock is ticking.

Ea
Montzalee Wittmann
In the Dark (A Holt Foundation Story #1) by Chris Patchell is a Kindle Scout book so I wanted to try it since I usually find good new books there. This was not one of the better books but okay. This has a mother that her daughter goes missing but no one believes her at first. They think she is a runaway. The detective that helps her she ends up in bed with in the first couple of chapters, wow, she sure is upset about her kid! The villain is revealed, on purpose (?), it is unsure or just easy to ...more
Lee
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, this is my kind of book. The novel is full of suspense and I found myself going oh my god with many of the twists as I did not expect them. Great storyline and very believable characters, highly recommended.
Gary
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good suspense novel that keeps you on the edge of your set to the very end. The book is full of strong believable characters and the story is so well paced that it impels you to want to keep reading as the suspense grows.
The story is about a teenage daughter who is a diabetic and relies on insulin, goes missing and her frantic Mother tries desperately to find her. Over simplified summary I know and it doesn't do it justice because there is so much more to this novel.
Another new author to
Booklover
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2015
This is a great book. I could see it so clearly in my mind, the detail was wonderful. I could feel the desperation, pain, fear, and love that the characters were experiencing. I could smell the place that the kidnapped were held and how cold and dark it was for them, Chris Patchell made this story come alive for me. It's intense, I was so stressed while reading this, in a good way, and couldn't put it down. It seemed like there is a possibility for a second book, and I can't wait.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Hindsight has 20/20 vision....and Marissa has plenty of that!

She has picked the wrong men, and made a lot of wrong decisions in her life. But she has done the best that she could at the time, and everything she has done, she has done to keep her girls safe, and together; to maintain the only thing that matters to her - her family.

So when her daughter Brooke goes missing, she is distraught and panicked - for Brooke is diabetic and her insulin supply is still in her dorm room. But that is not the
Petra
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, netgalley
In The Dark chronicles in a riveting way a mother's frantic journey to find her missing teenage daughter. It is a skillfully written thriller with a hint of romantic suspense.
Full of characters that seem real and have depth to them, it kept me fully immersed from start to finish. The actions scenes are described so adeptly you could see what was happening right in front of you. Although the culprit is revealed early on, the story line is not predictable at all and the chapters written from the
Dee Arr
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I was extremely close to setting this novel down after reading the short Prologue. It was not because of the writer. I just didn’t feel ready to read another gritty story about another psychotic killer. But I kept reading anyway, and eventually reached the following passage: “Fear was addictive. Fear was power. Fear was a chalice full of tears, salty and delicious on his tongue. And once he had tasted it, there was nothing else like it in the whole world.” I checked, and discovered I was 45% of ...more
Nancy Bilyeau
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing Suspense

I found this an outstanding thriller. It is reminiscent of Lisa Gardner's fiction in the high stakes of the story and the emotional darkness explored. The main characters are complex and nuanced. This is much more affecting because the mother and the missing girl come across as fully realized, three dimensional human beings. Excellent writing.
Linda Strong
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I voted for this book at Kindle Scout and was tickled pink when I got notified that it had been chosen for publication. But before receiving the email, I noticed that it was also listed on NetGalley and I was approved to read and review.

Short blurb: Marissa's college age daughter is abducted. But local cops think she's a runaway. Mom knows better ... her daughter is diabetic and has left all her insulin behind. But mom is tenacious and stubborn and refuses to let the police put this on a back b
Susan
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
A bad Chick Thriller

It started out good then 60% into the book it failed. I do not want to give the story away, but really? Your daughter is missing and you fall in love with the detective on the case. Then you have sex together. Come on! If my child was missing, I could not get up off the floor never mind falling in love. Then the best part, she is writing clues down to help with the investigation and she is annoyed because her daughter is missing and she wasting her time writing down clues. Th
Lynn Mccarthy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody who likes a good story
This book was a real page turner.
Marissa is a mom and has 2 daughters one who is insulin dependant her names brooke but one night Brooke goes missing she only has 1 pen of insulin on her the rest was left in her dorm room.
Marissa knows she must find her daughter time is ticking how long can brooke last without her insulin?
I hope this is a start to a series wouldn't that be good.

Thank you to the publishers the Author and Netgalley for a chance to read this book.
Sherry Fundin
In The Dark by Chris Patchell starts out with terror and a sense of wrongness from the opening pages, but I was hooked by the fabulous cover. I love stories that are filled with suspense and the pacing of In The Dark kept me racing through the pages. Unputdownable!

The story is familiar and I love that Chris Patchell is not afraid of killing off characters right and left, making me wonder who will be left standing. The killer is exposed early, but that did nothing to prepare me for the twists and
Karen
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review copy provided via NetGallery in exchange for an honest review

Summary: In The Dark

But Marissa isn’t alone in her terror. A phantom from her past is lurking in the shadows, waiting in the night, and holding her family c
Mike Dixon
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It’s every parent’s nightmare. Children grow up so quickly and their bodies mature much faster than their minds. A new and exciting world beckons and some are ill-prepared for its dangers. Nineteen-year-old Brooke was attracted by the bright lights and excitement of Seattle’s nightclub scene … and vanished. The frail college student failed to return to her lodgings. To make matters worse, she didn’t have the vital supplies of insulin needed to keep her alive. Deeply shocked, her mother, Marissa, ...more
Skye Skye
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A town in Washington State-- cold, damp, dreary with many sinister secrets: A missing girl. Two serial killers on the loose, an emotionally drained mother struggling with work, money, and frightening memories when suddenly her eldest daughter disappears.
A labyrinth of suspense and psychological deviants, this book is a roller coaster ride for those who love thrillers. The book is character driven, well written, nicely developed with many perspectives in point of view, including those of both ma
Lynn
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank NetGalley, Kindle Press, and Chris Patchell for an advanced copy of In the Dark for an honest review.

A missing diabetic college student. A Mother who will stop at nothing to find and save her child. In the Dark takes us on the roller coaster ride of a Mother's love and devotion to save her daughter from the evil that has dared to enter their lives. A great suspense novel that keeps you turning the pages. I definitely recommend In the Dark by Chris Patchell another author I
Kristine Hall
In the Dark, (A Holt Foundation Story), the first book in the series by Chris Patchell, is an exciting and engaging story to read with your ears. The premise of the primary mystery, though not entirely unique, has more than a few spins on it that make it a stand-out story.

For the audio book, listeners are treated to a dual narration team to add authenticity to the characters’ genders. Both Lisa Stathoplos and Corey Gagne have even deliveries and do well with projecting a wide range of emotions.
BookLoversLife
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Marissa hasn't heard from her daughter for a few days, she starts to worry. This isn't like Brooke at all!! When she still can't get through to her and hears from her best friend, who hasn't seen her either, she goes to the police. The police aren't in a rush to find Brooke, but Marissa pushes them because Brooke needs insulin and she doesn't have her back up with her. If she doesn't get it soon she will die!! It's a race against time for Brooke!

The plot of this was, once it got going, fast
Christine
This book is described as an “edge of your seat suspense novel” and it certainly lives up to it’s billing!

Brooke was last seen two days ago. Her roommate thought she was at her mother’s house and her family thought she was in her dorm. When Brooke missed attending her sister’s school concert it was a sure indication that something was very wrong. She was last seen in a bar, where she went to see her high school boyfriend Jesse, who she heard was back in town. Brooke’s mom, Marissa, had never lik
Neena Christianson Martin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He seemed so nice.

Talk about wrenching your emotions and heartstrings into a knot. I don't think there's a single emotion that this author didn't make me feel. She took ordinary people, put them into extraordinary circumstances, and turned some into heroes, and delved into the mind of her sociopath. Two thumbs up.
Lynda Dickson
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
When her diabetic daughter Brooke goes missing, Marissa knows that it is critical to find her as soon as possible. While the police don't take her concerns seriously, Marissa receives help from an unexpected source. Brooke is being kept in the dark, both literally and figuratively, but with a growing pool of likely suspects, will Detective Seth Crawford find her in time?

The book begins with a chilling scene featuring our anonymous villain. The ensuing short chapters are told from at least six di
Susan Swiderski
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What did I think? I think the author's debut novel "Deadly Lies" was absolutely terrific, and this, her second book, is even better.

The story? Kim is already classified as a missing person when the story opens, and she's being held by a psychopath. Now, Brooke, another college student, is gone. To make a bad situation worse, Brooke is a diabetic, a diabetic whose vials of insulin are still sitting in her dorm room, so finding her as soon as possible is a matter of life and death.

But when Brook
Jackie Roche
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley, the publishers and Chris Patchell for allowing me to read this book in return for an honest and open review.

What an amazing book! It was a real page-turner and once I'd started reading it, I resented any interruption..
The storyline is every mother's nightmare. Brooke, Marissa's daughter, goes missing. It's a race against time to find her as she's an insulin-dependent diabetic.
The characters were well-developed and full of depth making them, except one, very easy
Kate Bigel
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I used to love the psycho killer tale but i tired of them and I generally avoid them. But this story really sucked me fast and got me turning pages. The characters and the drama are engrossing. Yes its a crime thriller but i think the compelling aspects are the relationships of the mother and her daughters. Marissa Rooney has failed lovers and work challenges and is a young working mother. She is such a detailed and beautifully written character that i forgot about the whole psycho killer thing ...more
J.E.
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful. Lots of action and a large amount of gore. I did want to know how the plot would unwind, but there were a fair amount of questions raised...how long could a diabetic actually survive in the conditions presented? Can a cop just walk off the job? Would a widower take a chance on a thrice-divorced woman no matter how attractive? The psycho killer seemed to have plans for the women but that was never fully addressed. I'm always torn with these ratings things as one person's favorite is ...more
Pat
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75.stars. A very readable book - missing girls, two deranged baddies and a dreadful sense of foreboding. This book started out with some tension which just ratcheted up and up until you couldn't turn the pages fast enough. My only negatives are a protagonist who constantly doubts herself (a pet hate of mine) and a bit of repetition, but otherwise a very solid thriller that ticks most of my boxes.
Tanya Searle
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Firstly I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free kindle copy. I was expecting a thriller but instead was given a predictable and mediocre story. It reminded me of a movie that is expected to be big at the box office but goes straight to tele-movie. I skimmed through a lot of it looking for the main parts that would link the story together. Overall, I was bored bad couldn't wait to move on.
Stella
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Realistic....

Couldn't put the book down...made me cry.....loved the characters..I can relate to Marissa....her strength...her love for her children...and how she would do whatever was needed to save her children
  • Deadly Shore
  • Call to Arms (Detective Kay Hunter #5)
  • First Contact (Haunts For Sale #1)
  • Cash Kills (Angelina Bonaparte Mysteries, #2)
  • I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Dropping the Dime (Miranda Vaughn Mysteries Book 2)
  • Rituals of the Dead (Adventures of Zelda Richardson #3)
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Peril in the Park (Jamie Quinn Mystery #3)
  • Deep Shadow (Caribbean Dive Adventures Book 1)
  • Dead on Ice (Lovers in Crime, #1)
  • A Death in Duck (A Lindsay Harding Mystery, #2)
  • Slated for Death (Penny Brannigan Mystery, #6)
  • Venetian Blood: Murder in a Sensuous City
  • The Good Spy Dies Twice (The Bullseye, #1)
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1
  • Time Reavers
Chris Patchell is the bestselling author of In the Dark and the Indie Reader Discovery Award winning novel Deadly Lies. A tech worker by day and a writer by night, Chris Patchell pens gritty suspense novels set in the Pacific Northwest.

Writing has been a lifelong passion for Chris. She fell in love with storytelling in the third grade when her half-page creative writing assignment turned into a fi

A Holt Foundation Story (2 books)
  • Dark Harvest (A Holt Foundation Story Book 2)
“Another day of waiting to lose everything she’d fought so hard to keep. You” 0 likes
“was a ghost drifting silently through the purgatory that was his existence, not really living. Merely surviving. The” 0 likes