Start by marking “Complementary and Acute” as Want to Read:
Complementary and Acute

Complementary and Acute

It’s Anabelle Horton’s senior year at Dearington Boarding School, and everything is exactly as she wants it. She’s captain of the Number Ninjas, her schedule is perfect, and her best friend Jacqueline Flores is going to be right by her side for all of it. But on the first day back at Dearington, Jac throws a wrench in Anabelle’s tidy plans. Not only has she rearranged her ...more
Published July 19th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Complementary and Acute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Complementary and Acute

Start your review of Complementary and Acute
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I read it last year and it's the cutest thing. Word: drama, I thrive for it.
prag ♻
me on december 31st 2017: i'm going to go back to reading actual books in 2018
first book i read: 46 page gay fluff with best-friends to lovers
Lucy
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun, sweet read. If you have a soft spot for boarding school stories and cute lesbians you should check it out. You won't be disappointed (except when it ends and you want to read more, more, more).
Anna
this was cute, but i didn't really care about anabelle or jac???
Julia
4.5 stars. I always love a good friends to lovers story, and this was really sweet.
Valerie Anne
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So adorable. My only complaint is that I wish there was more! :) It's fun to watch Anabelle's journey through the story, trying to figure out who her best friend is and how she fits into her life now that everything's changing.
Jaylee
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HELP this book is adorable. I love it so much.

The book is told from Annabelle's perspective as she watches her best friend slowly slip away from her and become more and more involved in a "girls who like girls" club at their school. All of her emotions are so real, being jealous and angry and hurt and feeling abandoned, trying desperately to keep hold of someone you feel is slipping away, when everything you do ends up pushing them further from you.

Their relationship was real, and Annabelle's
Olivia Chanel's Stories in Space
This book was all ever wanted, all I ever needed, *sings like it's the 90s and my heart will go on* and that is basically all you need to know. No, but seriously, the tension, the drama, this is like the best 46 pages ever. Can you believe Ella Lyons did that? *sigh heavily, looking at the stars* I'm in love.

Thanks for saving my Tuesgay.
Atlas
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
* * *
3 / 5

~mini review~

A short and sweet little gay novella featuring two seventeen year old girls who are roommates. A little bit of teenage high school, a little bit of underage drinking, a little bit of pining and teenage angst; Complementary and Acute has just a little bit of everything and is sweet, but not particularly novel.

Chasia Lloyd
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really adorable F/F love story set in a girls' boarding school. Also contains friendships and positive feelings towards math.
Shira Glassman
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: femslash, teen
Adorable little YA boarding school story where friendship turns into love with some hiccups along the way. I love the idea of friends asking for cuddles and of the girl who makes lists and spreadsheets about everything (since I'm one of those girls.)

It's rare for me to enjoy a story where the main plot conflict hinges on people not communicating but in this case it was entirely realistic and reasonable, plus the misunderstanding was between teenagers and over in 12,000 words so it's not like I h
Elliot
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Complementary and Acute Honestly, I think I would have enjoyed this more if it had been longer. At fifty pages, the author attempts to establish a strong relationship between these girls that changes when Jac comes out as gay to her roommate, Annabelle. With most of the story devoted to covering the jealousy that Annabelle feels when Jac begins hanging out with other people, there was little time to spare in establishing their close relationship, so it came across a little heavy handed in the be ...more
Llinos
This was such a sweet little novella – an adorable romance, with a side of self-discovery. I really enjoyed everything about Anabelle and Jac’s relationship – how supportive they were of each other and how well they understood each other’s needs. And I really enjoyed seeing them both find sources of support and friendship outside of each other, widening their horizons and gaining confidence in different ways. A quick read and well worth the time!
Eloise
Aaw. Sweet short realistic story about girls who love each other to bits.
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction, novellas
*4.5 stars*

A super-sweet and adorable f/f YA romance novelette! Sweet, smart, earnest and uptight Annabelle has been best friends and roommates at boarding school with Jac for the last 7 years, but when Jac suddenly announces that she's quitting the math team they were supposed to co-captain this year - because she's coming out as a lesbian and joining an LGBT network instead - super-organized Annabelle comes completely unravelled...for totally different reasons than she'd ever let herself imagi
Williesun
Okay, this was fluffy, cute and short, which probably perfectly sums up what a novella should be.

As always with novellas, I'm left with a feeling that the story would have needed more meat to its bones but I guess that would have made it into a full book. Which I would have totally read.

Also, this is set at a boarding school and oh god do I like boarding school books. Probably because my parents never sent me to one and I have all these romanticised ideas about it. Oh well.
M
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet short story about two best friends and roommates falling in love in a boarding school.

I've been looking for a book like this for a long time. Seriously, best friends who share a room and like to cuddle all the time? There is no way this could be more perfect and adorable. I loved reading this and it made me smile a lot.

I can't wait to read more from this author.
Chloe Whitcomb
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this book when I was looking for a cute lesbian romance that was easy to read. I needed a quick pick-me-up to get me through exam week, and this novella by Ella Lyons did just that. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants an easy read about the confusing yet exhilarating trials of first love.
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, read-2017
MY HEART IS NOW TEN TIMES BIGGER THAT WAS ADORABLE !!!!!!
Hannah
Cute, but felt sort of rushed because of the length.
Alex
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq, fiction
Absolutely lovely. And so relatable. I really felt for both Anabelle and Jac.
Sofia loves Misha
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-fiction, romance
Short & sweet best friends to lovers excellence 🥰 ...more
Hana
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was an adorable story full of angst, fluff, and a surprising amount of character depth for how short it was.
artemis
2.5 i guess? it was alright
Tvproducer02 .
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, lgbta
Nicole Field
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this short. Everyone within a certain community seems to talk about it. It's the scenes between two girls as one of them realises they are a lesbian before the other.

Honestly, because it's a short, it kind of reads like the romantic scenes within a larger piece of writing, and I found myself wanting to know more about the other girls, friends, teachers, schools.

The writing was good, though, and all four main characters were interesting and fun to read. I particularly liked the
Jim From YAYeahYeah
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute, sweet read about two roommates at boarding school. Main character Anabelle is planning ahead for senior year and thinks she's prepared for everything, especially with best friend Jac besides her. But when Jac comes out to her, and says she's dropped math, Annabel has to rethink her carefully laid plans. I really liked both Anabelle and Jac here, but I also appreciated that Ella Lyons develops other friendships as well as the main pair. I'm always looking for fun LGBT contemporary ...more
claudine
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very fun romp through boarding school and the drama of being in love with your best friend. I loved the little details, the flowing prose, and the emotions of Anabelle (MC) getting topsy-turvy over Jac. It was such a delightful read, and my first by this author. Thanks very much for the wonderful novella!
S.H. Marr
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay, so. This isn't really my realm of books anyway (boarding school romances not really my thing), but tried to broaden my horizons.

Promptly was assaulted by the term "AP Trig" and couldn't get it out of my head. This is not a thing that exists.

Then again, I'm sort of in one of those moods where logical/technical inaccuracies are killing books and stories for me today. So.

• Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Queens of Geek
  • Summer of Salt
  • The Brutal Truth
  • Style (The OTP Series #1)
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Fragile Remedy
  • The Luminous Dead
  • Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery, #1)
  • Casting Lacey
  • On the Outside
  • Love Like This (Seven Shores, #4)
  • The Gay Girl's Guide to Ruining Prom
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • Romancing the Girl