Start by marking “Goldfish (Girl out of Water, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goldfish (Girl out of Water, #1)

Goldfish (Girl out of Water #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
Lou Brown is one of the fastest swimmers in the county. She’s not boasting, she really is. So things are looking pretty rosy the day of the Olympic time-trials. With her best mate Hannah by her side, Lou lines up by the edge of the pool, snaps her goggles on and bends into her dive…

Everything rests on this race. It’s Lou’s thing.

… or it was. She comes dead last and to top
Published June 7th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Goldfish, please sign up.
Tamara (Tamaraniac) Supposedly, but it's not really synchronized swimming AT ALL. More like water acrobatics or something like that.

Kai
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2016, underrated
“You swim no one's race but your own.”

This is one of the funniest books of 2016. I honestly could not stop laughing, which, to be honest, was a bit embarrassing since I was reading in public. I gave my best but Nat Luurtsema is just too hilarious. 100% laugh out loud guarantee.

I'm glad the author decided to write a YA novel. She's got talent for quick, light-hearted stories and unintentionally funny characters.
I loved the main characters' family. The parents were loving but not too perfect, the
C.G. Drews
This is a splashily adorable book. And I say "splashily" (which I'm not even sure is a real word, tbh) because IT'S ALL ABOUT SWIMMING. Which is great! And frightening! I only dog paddle, mate, but I can appreciate a swimmery book if asked. And although it was funny and quirky and lighthearted, it was a bit too fluffy for me, personally. Ah, very subjective. I KNOW. But that is the reviewing life.

It's basically the story of Lou Brown, 15, and trying to be an Olympic swimmer. Guess what? SHE FAI
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Apart from the fact that Lou body-shamed any girl that was either muscle-y or curvy because the weren't 'feminine', I liked this book. Although, writing that out is making me realise just quite how horrendous that is, especially because it's a younger YA book. Jeez.

But the comedy actually made me laugh out loud, and the antics and general arc of the story was really reminiscent of a Geek Girl book, which of course, I love. I think I would pick up the sequel, even though Lou's mentality of 'I ne
Valerie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before I get into this review, I have to mention that I'm probably incredibly biased. You see, talking about Goldfish made me remember my swimming career. From ages 11-14, I thrived in the swimming world. My times were always improving, I qualified for a number of swim meets, I had many friends, and I had great times. Unfortunately, once I hit 15 years old, it all went down from there. My body stopped growing, my peers in high school were faster than I was, and my personal records stayed the sam ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Girl Out Of Water was an absolute delight. Following the storyline of Lou, awkward, lumbering and clumsy. As she treads water, Lou is a vision of grace but after coming in last to qualify for the Performance Training Camp, she now faces the prospect of life beyond the water. Lou is by far one of my favourite fictional characters, she's intelligent, hilarious and incredibly entertaining. Her inner monologue often refers to how awkward she feels as a young woman with an athletic body, she's not pa ...more
Dahlia
Jul 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016-releases
This was fun! A really cute premise and a voice that had sporadic hints of hilarity. If you liked sports-themed YAs, add this one to your TBR.
TJ Burns
TJ's Time Travel Tips

Goldfish was not at all what I expected when I started reading. I expected Lou to come out of her shell a bit, I expected her to make a friend or two, and even meet a boy. But the rest? No frickin’ way! This story was amazing! So creative, so interesting – at so many levels. And exciting!

The brilliance lies in the narrative – the inner thoughts of Lou Brown. There is such a huge contrast between Lou’s thoughts (witty, original, and cr
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Girl Out of Water has been on my hit list since I first heard the author read an excerpt from it at a blogger event last year so you can imagine my excitement when this book finally arrived in the post. I dropped everything to read it, and this review has been sitting for weeks waiting to be published. I could not even think about putting off the reading to a later date.

Lou and her friend try out for a High Performance Training Camp, which is the stepping stones to getting into Team GB. However,
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
4 out of 5 stars!

I would like to thank Maximum Pop Books, Walker Books and the author Nat Luurtsema for sending me a copy of Girl Out Of Water in exchange for an honest review.

For any fans of Louise Rennison, this book is perfect for you! It's heartwarming humor makes for a great teen read full of mishaps and mischief. Lou is a fifteen year old trying out for Team GB and the national swimming camp but when she fails to qualify and her best friend Hannah makes it, she finds herself friendless and
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I loved this book. I have a lot of emotions right now, for personal reasons, and I am really thankful that in nearly 2 decades of swimming, I never had a "Debs". This book means a lot to me for a lot of reasons, and I will be writing a review soon that hopefully does it justice, as well as sharing some feelings about all the other stuff.

But until then? Add this to your TBR, basically.
Rupali
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
"You swim no one's race, but your own."

Entertaining, and quite funny. Very enjoyable.
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goldfish is an oldie but a goodie. It's exactly the type of story to read when you need a breather. The book is quick, fun and easy to read.

Lou was a lot younger than I expected and it showed in her voice. The triple speed inner monologues, her always panicky thoughts were all indicators on how much growing up she needed to do. I liked Lou. Despite her whiny nature and lack of confidence she was never pretentious and had sass at times. Lou Brown was generally a good person.

The boys were fun to g
Diana Thomsen
Read for Goodreads 2018 Summer Reading Challenge, Expert Level.
Sports-a-holic: Read a book that features a popular summer sport

A book about a summer sport, huh? Ummm...what DO people do in summer? Me? I sit around in the air conditioning and read. But if I did decide to leave my artificially cooled environment to brave too triple digit temperatures summer brings to southern California, I would be heading for the water. Ah, yes. Swimming. The perfect summer sport. Hence this book.

And this book. O
Megan Openshaw
Bee
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly funny, uplifting book that came out of nowhere! It had been sitting on my to-read shelf for more than 2 years and it never really caught my eye. And then when I started reading it, I pretty much finished it in one day.

The main character, Lou, is refreshingly unique, and although the book follows a pretty standard plot, it has so many laugh out loud moments that I can’t help but give it five stars. Having said that, the plot is actually quite unique as well. Yes, it’s a girl-overc
ReginLaRadiosa
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mia sorella ha un sacco di ragazzi che le chiedono di uscire mentre io ho soltanto una squadra di nuoto sincronizzato parecchio polemica.

Questa è la storia della quindicenne Lou Brown, una giovane nuotatrice che, insieme alla sua migliore amica Hannah, gareggia per entrare a far parte della squadra olimpica inglese. Lou è in forma e agguerrita, porta il suo corpo allo stremo delle forze ma non riesce a vincere la gara.. a differenza di Hannah che si qualifica vittoriosa.
Nonostante l’affetto che
Clarabel
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai adoré du début à la fin, je voulais me fondre dans la vie de Louisa Brown, et celle de ses proches, pour retenir ce vent de folie douce qui chamboule à ravir leur routine. C'est frais, pétillant et complètement délirant. Un roman à l'humour anglais extrêmement savoureux. J'en veux encore !

Laura.125Pages
This review was originally posted on www.125pages.com swimming2gif Goldfish by Nat Luurtsema was a cute story that offered some really great moments. It also offered some moments where I was super frustrated with the narrator. Lou had everything going for her. A great best friend, a possible Olympic level swimming career, a coach who believed in her. So going into the qualifiers for a prestigious training camp should have been the best day of her life. Instead, it changes everything. Lou’s path has changed ...more
Sophie
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
NetGalley copy in exchange of an honest review.

Lou had it all planned in her head: at 15, she is the fastest swimmer in her county, and if she wins that very particular race, she might go to the Olympics. That’s the plan, that’s her dream.

But she finishes last in the race and her life changes completely, as she has to re-think everything through, and, most of all, overcome her shame and disappointment.

That first step is going back to a “normal” life.

And it’s not easy.

After a few trials and error
Aneesa
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free in an exchange for an honest review, thanks to Maximum Pop

OH GOD!!! This book was soooooo good! I loved reading every minute of it! Lou's character is so funny, I loved reading about all crazy and wildest thoughts! There was definitely some scenes were all you could do was laugh out loud! Like literally!

I feel like this book was close to another favourite by Sophie Kinsella, where the audience is constantly captivated and humoured by the main character!

I loved Lou, she
megan (soshibooks)
DISCLAIMER: I received a free eARC via NetGalley. This doesn't affect my opinions in any way.

3 stars.

I'm not too sure how I feel about this book or how to organize this review, so I'm just going to talk about what I liked and disliked about the characters and the plot.

CHARACTERS: Lou was hard for me to connect to, and I feel like we saw a lot of her personality which I enjoyed. However, I really disliked how she sort of just ignored Hannah at certain points in the book because she was jealous wh
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Disclaimer: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

There are funny books, and there are laugh out loud until your sanity is questioned books; this was the latter. Lou was extremely relatable in her awkwardness. The family dynamics were realistic and amusing, and when things got heavy, everyone was very supportive of each other. I want Lou’s sister. And her parents. Actually, let me just join her fami
Madeline {Plan to Happy}
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
{Many thanks to NetGalley for sending me an eARC of The Goldfish in exchange for an honest review. Find more reviews at www.plantohappy.com.}

Sometimes it's fun to just read a story. No gimmicks, no lofty concepts, and no inscrutable motivations. The reading experience of Nat Luurtsema's Goldfish was just that - a wonderful storytelling experience.

In the first few pages, we learn that Lou Brown is on her way to the Olympics, until she isn't. Her best friend heads off to swim for Team Great Britai
Kara
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
It was okay. I really loved the author's sense of humor, and in turn, the sense of humor of the protagonist. But the writing style. Good lord, the comma splices and sentence flow was atrocious. And it really felt like the swimming plot was a bit forced and hard to believe. I don't actually think synchronized swimmers could audition for Britain's Got Talent. I just don't. The story arc wasn't strong enough. I really did like the main character though, and I connected with her struggle, so that's ...more
Trisha
Snort-inducing fun from a narrator who is witty, yet troubled. Her antics with her secret coaching duties are explored alongside a number of other teenager concerns.

A terrific bunch of secondary characters, with decent (ie non stereotypical) adults. A relief.

Such a pleasure to read.
Chris
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, life, not-graphic, ya, voice
For a book that opens with a life-altering, depression-inducing failure, this ends up being a whole lot of snarky, larky fun. It has excellent humor throughout and a few most unexpected, outrageous adventures, with enough seriousness to give it weight and some nicely drawn characters who grow. Most enjoyable.
Dany Romero
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lou Brown, a high school er, moved to Essex England. He moved to a new school with new people to experience. Lou Brown sister lost in the Olympics when she could not make it while swimming in the Olympics.
Audrey Manley
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some people are not as they seem and you should never judge a book by it's cover are the themes of this book
Veronica of V's Reads
I woke my hubs, twice, reading this book in bed and laughing uncontrollably.

Louise is a 15 y/o champion swimmer, dubbed "Goldfish" by her family for taking home so many gold medals, but she fails spectacularly at the youth time trials and doesn't get accepted the High Performance Training Center. Hannah, her BFF, does get accepted. Lou falls into a funk. Without swimming and without Hannah, Lou has no friends and no activities. She's lanky and odd, not perky and cute like her elder sister, Lave
Tamara (Tamaraniac)
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Read this review on my blog: http://tamaraniac.com/2016/05/goldfis...

I am a synchronized swimmer. I love the sport. But synchronized swimming doesn't get into media very much. Sure there are old 50s movies with that people say have synchronized swimming in them and are referenced every once in a while... But that's not really synchro in the first place, and it is definitely not what it looks like today.

(here's a video with some great clips if you have no idea what I'm talking about)

So of course
  • Green Valentine
  • The Bone Sparrow
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
  • Twenty Questions for Gloria
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • The Minnow
  • Stray (Spark, #2)
  • How to Convince a Boy to Kiss You (Aurora Skye #2)
Nat Luurtsema is a BAFTA-nominated screenwriter, a BAFTA Rocliffe alumni, stand-up comic, author, actor and a third of sketch group Jigsaw.

She has just finished directing WYRDOES, a comedy feminist ‘Macbeth’, with backing from Film London, Film4 and the British Arts Council. It will be a part of the Shakespeare Lives worldwide tour, which will play to an audience of 500 million.

Nat plays Tallulah
More about Nat Luurtsema

Girl out of Water (2 books)
  • Lou Out of Luck (Girl out of Water, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“You swim no one's race but your own.” 2 likes
“New things always look weird to begin with. Imagine being the first monkey who grew a thumb. No one realized how useful that was going to be. They probably all ran around yelling, "Look at Clive's hand! It's icky, hit it with a rock!" Thousands of years later, we're texting with it and Clive has the last laugh.” 0 likes