Start by marking “Cruel Crown (Red Queen, #0.1-0.2)” as Want to Read:
Cruel Crown (Red Queen, #0.1-0.2)

Cruel Crown

(Red Queen 0.1-0.2)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  22,081 ratings  ·  2,355 reviews
Two women on either side of the Silver and Red divide tell the stories no one else knows.

Discover the truth of Norta’s bloody past in these two revealing prequels to #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller RED QUEEN.

Queen Song

Queen Coriane, first wife of King Tiberias, keeps a secret diary—how else can she ensure that no one at the palace will use her thoughts against her? Coriane
Published January 5th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Crown, please sign up.
Ella I know right, the covers are so intriguing!…moreI know right, the covers are so intriguing! (less)
Αναστασία Read Red Queen first it makes more sence that way.

Actually follow the way the Author wrote and publiced the books
First was the Red Queen, then the…more
Read Red Queen first it makes more sence that way.

Actually follow the way the Author wrote and publiced the books
First was the Red Queen, then the Steel Scars and Queen Song (aka Cruel Crown) and then it is Glass Sword and the next year we have King's Cage (the third one. Date of publice: 2.7.17)(less)

·  22,081 ratings  ·  2,355 reviews

Start your review of Cruel Crown (Red Queen, #0.1-0.2)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(I really only read 142/200 pages, because the last chunk is a Glass Sword sampler.)

Queen Song 3/5
Steel Cars 3/5

these we're both just okay. I loved learning about Queen Coriane! The Farley story didn't really do much for me, though it did give me more details on her character. I might end up doing a video review for this so keep your eyes peeled.

Miranda Reads
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
description

There is nothing so terrible as a story untold.**
**There is nothing so terrible as this story being told.

So, we get the absolutely essential novellas chronicling the lives of incredible women who play pivotal roles in the Red Queen series.

Thus with heartfelt cheer and warmest wishes, Victoria Aveyard graces her audience with yet another completely useless and half-assed book.
“There is no greater pain or punishment then memory.”
I honestly laughed when I first read that quote but
Pearl Angeli
Cruel Crown consists of two novellas, Queen Song and Steel Scars. While I loved Queen Song, Steel Cars disappointed me in an epic level. I'm still glad I was able to experience them, though-- Queen Song, especially, because it was simply amazing. :)

My reviews for both novellas:

QUEEN SONG

"There is nothing so terrible as a story untold."

Queen Song is one of the novellas of Red Queen series. Here, we are told about the backstory of Queen Coriane, the mother of Prince Cal from Red Queen. Coriane
Candace
A compilation of two short novellas, 'Cruel Crown' provides a glimpse into the past, as well as a bit more insight into the story's present. The first novella tells the story of the young Coriane and Tiberias. The second novella focuses on the life of Farley as she works to lead an uprising, eventually finding a leader in Mare.

I absolutely loved hearing Coraline's story. This novella made me see King Tiberias as vulnerable and human. They did truly love one another and her life was ended too
TJ✨
Apr 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
I wanted to get this read before Glass Sword

What I thought

This was just boring and I really didn't care. I didn't even finish the second story. I only finished the first one because she's Cal's mother.
Lara
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked both of the stories. All the feels are back..
Luke Taylor
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cruel Crown is a one stop in the Starbucks with the grande of your choice and a corner table sort of excurison, splitting the difference between two short stories and a tidbit of the yet to be released Glass Sword. I really enjoyed Queen Song, featuring a different style of prose than the traditional broad-brush and salty spunk of Mare Barrow’s plight as the little lightning girl, and seeing into the humanity of Silver politics and personalities was a wise move on Victoria's behalf. Even though ...more
Alaina
first time audio. third time reading.

Cruel Crown is one of those novellas that makes me jealous. Why? Well, I got to meet Cal's mom and now I wish I got more. After her short ass story, well.. I wanted more. She is definitely one of those characters that I wanted to know more about. Ugh, especially since she died from the evil selfish queen bitch.

Then there's Farley.. and eh. She's an okay character. I'm glad I got to see a different side of her and her dad. I'm also glad to see her relationship
Andie

I quite enjoyed 'Queen Song' and would have loved to read more of that storyline. 'Steel Scars' on the other hand, I could have cared less about. I'm not a fan of Captian Farley and found myself skimming through this one just to get it over with.
Donita Luz
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read, ya, novellas
"He was the prince. the future king. And she was no one at all, a limp excuse for a Silver daughter of a High House."
This novella was clever. I have been so curious with the story of the first queen, Cal's mother story. All we got to know her was that she was Julian's sister, a Singer, and the queen before the cold-hearted Elara took over. It was written on a third-person point of view given the fact that Queen Coriane has already past away - I wasn't expecting that. I thought that this
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
***I reviewed both books individually.***

Book One: Oueen Song - 's

Heart Breaking

“She was happy, yes, in her own way, as best as she knew.
But there’s a difference between a single candle in darkness and a sunrise.”

Oh my goodness, this was so darn sad! From beginning to end I felt my heart getting heavier and heavier with heartache for Coriane. That poor girl, she was so sweet and had such a gentle soul. She didn't deserve all the shit she had to suffer through. Elara as we already knew was an
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
An entertaining, fun & insightful, but overall unnecessary addition to the series
Nina
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I liked both stories but neither of them I think actually contained any information that you just really need to know and that would improve your reading experience of this series. Nevertheless, both were very quick reads and I still enjoyed learning a bit more about both Coriane and Farley.

instagram || my blog || twitter
Fatima  Havilliard
"Two women on either side of the Silver-Red divide tell the stories no one else knows."

THAT COVER!!
I really want this book now! Especially I want to know what happens with Queen Coriane, and a exclusive excerp of Glass Sword OMG.
------------------------------------------------------------
Average Rating: 4.5 Stars

Queen Song:
"The Calores are children of fire, as strong and destructive as their flame, but Cal will not be like the others before. Fire can destroy, fire can kill, but it can also
Adam Silvera
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
"There is nothing so terrible as a story untold."

DOPE!
Neil (or bleed)
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novellas, 2016-reads
QUEEN SONG

Basically, Queen Song is about a depressed, sad girl with a diary. She thought herself as nothing. It's like Juliette Ferrars all over again. And that's it. The end. Just kidding. Lol.

I think this novella is quite unnecessary. I don't particularly care about Corianne Jacos. I'm sorry. I admit I quite care about her diary but boy, I'm disappointed because it is just of full of angsty monologues and narratives. I anticipated that I will get secrets or anything but no. *sighs*

I like the
Ky  Baeza
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok

Sooooo, Queen Song was amazing. I'm so sad about Coraine.

But Steel Scars was not my cup of tea. I would appreciate more the continuation of the story of Tibe and Elara. That's a story. If Steel Scars is significant to the whole plot of the main books, then I will make myself read it.

Colleen Houck
This was a great addition to the series. It was nice to get to know these characters a little better and the sneak peek of the next book was awesome!
Meg
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so this was the surprise of my year so far. I have read both Red Queen and Glass Sword and to say that I didn't love them is an understatement. I thought they were okay but not amazing. Imagine my surprise when I picked up Cruel Crown this evening and ended up giving it five stars! These two short stories were amazing! They made me want to pick up Kings Cage right away, which is impressive because I have been holding off on reading that one since I bought it. These two stories were so ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I won a copy of Cruel Crown via a Twitter giveaway! Disclaimer: I have NOT read the extract of Glass Sword as I would rather read/review it once I get a copy of the novel in full!

I'm feeling extremely conflicted about how to review this novella bide-up. Queen Song was a quick read with a good plot. It was nice to return to the Red Queen world and enjoyed following Coriane receive a diary in which she writes about her honest thoughts towards her family and relationship to the heir Prince
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't a big fan of Red Queen to be honest; I'm not saying that it was a bad book, I just found it rather boring myself. However, one thing I love about books is that if you dislike the first book in the series, you can still have faith in its prequel or sequel.

description

Cruel Crown was so much better than I was expecting, and I'm glad that I decided to give the series a second chance because it was totally worthwhile to find out some of the past story behind Red Queen, in fact it kind of filled in any
Ashley
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cruel Crown consists of two novellas, Queen Song and Steel Scars, that are prequels to Red Queen. I wanted to read these prequels before starting Glass Sword in case there was any information in them that would make me feel lost in the second book of the series.

Queen Song
I read this first prequel nearly a month ago before putting the book aside to read other things. I was a little all over the the place this month and started a lot of books all near the same time that I'm just now wrapping
Alannah
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
3 Stars

I found I really enjoyed Coriane's story, even though I knew the ending, it made me hate Elara even more (is that even possible?).
Though I found Steel Scars to be a little slow, perhaps a bit too long. Overall it offered some interesting insights into significant events that occur before Red Queen.
Sarah Churchill
Queen Song
Nice to learn more about Queen Corian's story, would have liked it to be longer to get more of a feeling for her relationship with Tibe. Overall I really enjoyed this story.

Steel Scars
In contrast to the first story, I didn't think this was ever going to end! I was confusing and I especially didn't enjoy coded emails, I had no idea what Farley was doing half of the time and it just felt so long winded. Not a fan.
Kyla Harris
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I absolutely loved Queen Song sad and real. There was tragicdy. Everything wasn't rainbows and butterflies, happlily ever after which I liked. Steel Scars? I found my mind wandering off and thinking about other things while reading it, I couldn't get into the story at all. So half and half: loved Queen Song not so much Steel Scars.
Rachida
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, fantasy
Queen Song (p1-54) = 5
Steel Scars (p55-142) = 2
I have separate reviews for both stories.

I would not recommend to buy this book. The first story was amazing but the rest was so boring! And the last third of the book are the first 4 chapters from Glass Sword.
Andrea
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
6/VI/18 Reread:
I don't have much to say about this. It was okay. I think my previous review says all that can be said about this book. I wouldn't mind if Farley's story had been expanded. She's one of my favorite characters. Coriane's story was still kinda pointless, but at least it's super short.

____________________________________________________________
The Backstory of Red Queen: The First Betrayal & the Start of the Scarlet Guard
Cruel Crown
Overall Rating: 3/5
Queen’s Song: 2/5

This is the
Penny
DNF

Not my thing. I was not interested, I got bored.
Taylor
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Both of these novellas were simply okay in my opinion. That being said, Queen Song is definitely my favorite of the two novellas. For the record, I didn't read the excerpt from Glass Sword since I'm planning to read the book fairly soon.

My Rating / Score: 2 out of 5 Stars on Goodreads. 4 out of 10 on my own scoring system.

After reading this book for the second time, I have say that I liked it more than I did when I read it the first time, so I'm changing my rating/score for the book.

Updated
Yoda
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I would recommend to read this after Red Queen, for me at least it was a bit more interesting then.

• The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
  • Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 4.5)
  • Queens of Fennbirn (Three Dark Crowns, #0.1-0.2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Heartless
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
I'm a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe.

My book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. I'm repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

The genres I'm into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic - if people are dying, I'm buying.

Red Queen (4 books)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
“There is nothing so terrible as a story untold” 39 likes
“And you're late."
"I prefer chronologically challenged.”
28 likes