Start by marking “Lionheart” as Want to Read:
Lionheart

Lionheart

Richard hears something in his room before bedtime. Is it a monster? He doesn't wait to find out and sets off running through the streets, over the hills, through the forest, and into the fields until he finds himself in a magical jungle. With the help of his stuffed lion Lionheart, Richard finds the courage he needs to face his fears.
Published February 23rd 2016 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about Lionheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lionheart

Start your review of Lionheart
Tima
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Richard is scared. He knows that monsters don't exist, but the noises he keeps hearing in the darkness of his bedroom are frightening. So he takes his stuffed animal, Lionheart, and runs away, as fast as he can. He runs so far that he reaches a magical jungle filled with animals. Lionheart then becomes a real lion and teaches Richard about being brave.

The illustrations are classic and fill each page with imagination and beauty. The style reminds me of Where the Wild Things Grow, and will be a fa
Liza Nahas
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book to scare away nighttime fears & monsters! ...more
The Library Lady
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Incredibly beautiful art. Ordinary, even trite, bibliotherapy story. Kids will enjoy this, parents will find it useful I suppose, but deep, it isn't. Sendak took care of this in Where the Wild Things Are and Mercer Mayer's There's a Nightmare in My Closet does the same, and almost makes me forgive him for his dumb "Little Critter" books. ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
After hearing a scary sound in his room, young Richard thinks there is a monster in there, trying to get him. With a little help from LIONHEART, his brave lion toy, Richard learns to overcome his fears. With some imagination, a lot of courage, and some help from Lionheart, Richard realizes his braver than he thought he was. Soon he realizes he never has to worry about being scared of his room again.
...........................
We loved this book, and would highly recommend picking it up!

FULL REV
Earl
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my 4th fave picture book of 2016! Great for when life gets a little too scary and helps readers face their own monsters. Pair with the song Not While I'm Around from Sweeney Todd to have an emotional moment.
Dianne Mclaurin
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This sweet story and the amazing illustrations make me want to...oops, can't give away the ending! You just have to read the book to find out! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
Gina
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and ultimately uplifting. This beautiful picture book follows a boy who is afraid until he becomes brave with the help of his mighty stuffed animal.
Baby Bookworm
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everyone! Today, we read Lionheart by Richard Collingridge, a gorgeously illustrated and wonderfully dreamlike story about finding courage, both from one’s friends and within oneself.

Richard is in his bedroom one night with his best friend, his stuffed Lionheart, when he first sees it. But it can’t be real – monsters aren’t truly real… are they? Frightened, Richard flees into the night,
Ramon Requena
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 230
This story follows Richard, a boy who is being chased by a monster, by his fears, and runs away until he reaches a mystical jungle. In this jungle he meets the real form of his stuffed animal, Lionheart. With him, he learns to be brave and overcome his fears. This book touches on the theme of a child maturing and becoming brave. This done with the help of his stuffed animal.
The media used in this book is that of colored pencil. This gives the art a combination of detailed edges and smoothed out
Desarae
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, christian, young Chronicles of Narnia fans,
Beautiful, beautiful book!! I LOVE this book, it nearly made me tear up just reading it. The story is simple, yet has subtly profound messages about facing your fears. This isn't a Christian book per se, but it brings to mind Aslan from The Chronicles of Narnia and the symbolism of the lion in this story and how little Richard learned to face his fears from him can very easily be a representation of Christ.

Also, a little aside here, our main adorable little boy is named Richard...as in Richard
Rebecca Gomez
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An imaginative story to encourage children to face their fears.
Lila Lovebug
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Illustrations are beautiful in this story!
Amber
Very pretty illustrations accompany the story of a young boy who is worried about monsters but he finds courage when his favorite stuffed toy comes alive and shows him how to face his fears. Did I mention that the Lion is not a regular sized lion when he comes to life? He's Giant! Like the size of an elephant, or bigger! He's Huge! Anyway, It's a sweet book. The End.
The Brothers
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little boy is afraid of monsters under the bed, but learns to be brave when his stuffed lion comes to life and teaches him that bravery is not the absence of fear.

Beautiful illustrations.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
beautiful illustrations and perfect for a bedtime story
Andrew Oh
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-read
Good story and illustrations for preschoolers.
Cecilia
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are captivating, and the tension in the plot is built very well.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
5 stars for the beautiful artwork and the atmosphere created by these illustrations.

I think the artwork makes the story, so much so that I am not sure that it needed the text.
I think just the illustrations by themselves, with a good dose of reader imagination, would make a great book.

However, there is a verbal story to go with the pictures, of a little boy who is scared of the monster, and who learns to be brave with the help of his stuffed lion Lionheart.

The story is fine. But the illustratio
Tonya
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A young boy finds the courage to stand up to his fears of an imaginary monster in his bedroom. With the help of his toy lion, Lionheart, the boy finds the courage to "Roar!" This story reminds me of the book, Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendack. Great story to get children talking about what they are afraid of and what they can do to conquer their fear.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has a good message about overcoming fears. Very nice pictures.
Ashlee
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: henry-and-ford
I checked this book out, among four others, at our local library. My three (almost four) year old loves it. Doesn’t want to give it back. He reads it over-and-above all the others we chose. He loves looking at the page where the the monster is coming, with it’s big-red snake eyes. After reading “Playful Parenting” and realizing that some of their likes/allures lead you to understand where they’re afraid (or dealing with an emotion you might not have anticipated) I let him look at that “monster” ...more
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
The first thing I want to say about this wonderful story is that if you have a child who is scared of anything, this is the perfect book to read to them. It's one that teaches them that we can overcome our fears! I adored this story and watching my child mimic the ROAR part made this Mamma proud. The illustrations are perfection and so beautiful, so much so that my son couldn't keep from touching them.

The story shows a child who is running from his fears and has a toy lion with him named Lionh
Dione Basseri
The dust jacket of this book boasts that it is a "cinematic romp," which is a bit of exaggeration, but it's still a very pretty book. Collingridge seems to specialize in soft lines and majestic views, with almost every page seeming to show a world too large to exist. And, technically, it doesn't this being another of those books where everything takes place in the child's imagination. However, for the most part, it's not too fantasy-based.

I can't see this book winning a Caldecott Medal, but it
Zane Cozad
In Lionheart, we see the struggles of Richard in his fears. He is very afraid of the dark and the noises he keeps hearing, even though he knows that monsters aren't even real. Eventually he becomes so afraid that he takes his friend, Lionheart and takes off running. Lionheart happens to be a stuffed lion, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this stuffed lion provides Richard with enough courage to face his fears as he turns into a real lion when Richard runs so far that he reaches a magi ...more
Sahvanna
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations - I thought I might read a children's to inspire my drawings. It's a beautiful book for any child who has a wild imagination!
Margie
It they stop frozen in place, you do the same. If they start to growl deep in their throats, you had better look, listen and be ready. If they begin to howl, calling out to others, lift you head and raise your voice to join the chorus too. When the barking starts, remember there is safety in numbers.

As humans fortunate enough to share their lives with canines can attest, barking or howling with your dog can be particularly liberating instilling a sense of fearlessness. It's as if you've joined
Kristina Jean Lareau
Richard faces the monster in the dark with the help of the Brave Lionheart!

Majestically painted illustrations sprawl across each page of this epic bedtime adventure. A combination between Where the Wild Things Are and Just a Dream, this picturebook uses vivid colors and full-page spreads to bring Richard to his brave conclusion.

Side spot illustrations detail side stories much like Jan Brett's story in a border--but in black and white and a much smaller extent.

The final page pays homage to belove
K. McDevitt
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a sweet book! Richard and his stuffed lion (named Lionheart) hear a scary noise and, assuming it's something terrible, take off so that it can't get them. Richard heads into the woods and finds himself in a magical jungle. He loses his stuffed animal somewhere (which made me sad) but then it shows up as a giant, magical lion! Lionheart n helps him be brave in the face of danger. It's a great, reassuring message.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. They're colorful and vivid and really
Clare Rossetter
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It does remind one of, "Where the Wild things Are," It is however, a much softer tale. The illustrations even seem to echo Wild Things book. I actually like this one better as its muted color scheme draws the reader in and seem more dream like. The young child, Richard, is afraid of monsters at bedtime and tries to convince himself that there are none. This does not work and he runs, and runs, and runs to a place where there are all kinds of animal. He begins to have fu ...more
Dustin
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
To face fears or run away is a dilemma that everyone must decide. When Richard feels a monster approaching at night, he and his stuffed toy lion chose to run. Their journey grows into an imaginary adventure of full of fear and wonder, until Richard meets his Lionheart and learns to ROAR! The shimmering lion and shadowy monster are brilliantly shown in paintings by Collingridge, and the boy himself is so relatable and emotional that students should be able to stand by him to the end. A captivatin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • MirrorMask
  • The Midnight Rose
  • The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year
  • The Rough Patch
  • Miss Rumphius
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • There's a Lion in My Cornflakes
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • Address Unknown
Richard Collingridge was born in London Hammersmith, studied Illustration then went to Paris to live for a while (4 years),
then got bored and decided to come back to England.

At about the age of five Richard noticed that real people didn't look like a bunch of sticks with a circle on the top.
But to his amazement, no one else in his classroom, including the teachers, seemed to be able to see this