Start by marking “Every Day Birds” as Want to Read:
Every Day Birds

Every Day Birds

"Chickadee wears a wee black cap.
Jay is loud and bold.
Nuthatch perches upside-down.
Finch is clothed in gold."

Young readers are fascinated with birds in their world. Every Day Birds helps children identify and learn about common birds. After reading Every Day Birds, families can look out their windows with curiosity--recognizing birds and nests and celebrating the beauty of
Published February 23rd 2016 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Day Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Day Birds

Start your review of Every Day Birds
Christopher Lehman
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Amy's poetry for children, so I was already partial to this one. The cut paper illustrations are amazing, detailed, and capture each bird perfectly. I love the whimsical poem and the science section at the end is perfect for curious, nature-minded readers like my own kids! Love this addition to my Amy LV library.
Mary Lee
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous words, framable art.
Mary Ann
Short simple verses and cut-paper collage illustrations introduce young readers to common North American birds. Choosing birds that preschoolers like to notice, VanDerwater displays one bird on each page, highlighting a memorable characteristic for each. "Heron fishes with his bill./ Sparrow hops in brown./ Mockingbird has many voices./ Pigeon lives in town." Perfect for budding naturalists.
Aliza Werner
Amy writes so thoughtfully for young children. BIRDS introduces kids to 20 types of North American birds through poetry, a gentle rhyme. At the back of the book is more information on each bird, should the reader be curious about more. Bright, bold, colorful illustrations will draw a child's eye.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I need more than five stars! LOVE this nature book about birds. Told in clever rhyme, Every Day Birds is filled with bold illustrations. The author includes a mini-field guide at the end about listing each bird from the book. LOVE it!
Kristen
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oo, I like this book. Each page is simple and bold, with one lovely illustration and one fact about that type of bird. The text rhymes in a way that feels lyrical and natural. And the endpapers have more facts about each bird!
Michele Knott
Thrilled to bring this book down to our kindergarten to use with their bird unit.
This book is perfect for young readers!
Karen
Great mentor text for informational writing
Nancy
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Handy bird details in the back.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
How great is this book?! Short, sweet, beautiful! This awesome book will help even very young children identify different birds, where you might find them, and some of their habits.
Barbara
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
While exotic birds that we'll only see on a nature documentary or in a magazine may captivate our imaginations and fill us with wild possibilities, it's those birds that can be found quite frequently in our own backyards or deciduous trees that are most watchable. After all, because of their proximity, we can not only spot them but also watch them as they build their nests, search for food, and sometimes even fly in formation. In rhyming lines, a poem celebrates 20 of the most commonly seen ...more
Michelle
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
EVERY DAY BIRDS shares the joy of birdwatching with even the youngest, 2-5 year old ornithologists. (Although, truth be told, this not-so-young beginner learned a thing or two, as well!) Amy Ludwig VanDerwater has chosen her subjects carefully to ensure that these are birds children are likely to recognize in their daily lives, making this Junior Library Guild Selection an ideal choice for home, classrooms, or library storytime.

Using a simple, rhyming format, twenty common North American birds
Christine Irvin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Every day we watch for birds weaving through the sky.
We listen to their calls and songs.
We like to see them fly."

So begins this poem that has been transformed into a picture book. From there we learn a bit about the chickadee, the jay, the nuthatch and the finch, as well as 16 other types of birds. Several pages at the end of the book contain additional information about each type of bird mentioned in the book.

This is a great way to introduce young readers to the subject of birds. Not only are
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This is a simple yet beautiful book. The illustrations are cut paper, and there is just so much detail on each bird. Each bird has it's own page, and gives a little fact that young kids can comprehend. The pictures are large and bold, great for teaching youngins' how to identify these birds. The end of the book includes the entire book/poem on two pages, and more facts about each type of bird. I'm definitely bringing this book home for Addie!
Lynn
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simple but lovely collage illustrations and rhyming text introduce 20 common birds. This is a perfect book to use with young children both to provide information and to entice them into watching and understanding birds. Additional information about each bird is provided at the back.

Purely personal comment here but I am always astonished at how few people can identify common birds so this may help adults as well!
Christiane
Bold illustrations and simple text ("Woodpecker taps hollow trees.") introduce children to common birds they might see in their backyard or neighborhood (crow, sparrow, heron, pigeon, etc.). I really like the cut-paper illustrations by Dylan Metrano. There is a section at the end with more information about the different birds. Great for classrooms!
Ms.Gaye
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Noteworthy easy nonfiction. In poetic lines of 5 words or less, 20 common American birds are described in appearance or movement. Using only a few colors per bird, the cut paper images aptly depict the unique shape and color of each bird. Simple enough for a preschooler to enjoy, with additional info at the end. Ages 4-8
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for young readers who are interested in learning about birds. For each bird there is a little poem and a lovely description so the reader can identify the bird. Back matter is included with more information about each one.
Jennifer Miera
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Colorful, yet simplistic stained glass-like" illustrations adorn this sweet introduction to common birds. More informational text about each bird appears at the end of the book, as well as resources where one might find more detailed information about birds.
Ruth Ann
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are so realistic the birds seem to jump off the pages!

The simple rhyming text gives us a glimpse into the life of each bird.

Fuller descriptions are included at the back.
June
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young bird requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
A very simple, but appealing introduction to common North American "every day" birds. This will be great to have when I get the spring bird requests. Back information provides a little more depth.
Janet
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Finally a simplistic book that covers a wide variety of common birds! Large simplistic illustrations accompanied by rhyming verse makes for a great story time book.
Amy
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice information for different birds.
Samantha
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A poetic look at birds complete with facts about each type that the reader can easily recall when bird-watching in their own backyard.

Cut paper illustrations. Great read aloud for PreK-2.

Heather
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
simple and beautiful
Lisa D
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute book ! Great way to learn about birds !
Lydia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Several basic bird breeds that are seen "in the wild" throughout the U.S.

Told in rhyme and with a stained-glass window design for each of the birds. As a basic intro to birds for little ones, it would be fine. But it is classified as a non-fiction book, so I would have liked/expected a teeny bit more on the birds (yes, there is some at the back in word form, but not better or different pictures and for the age range this seems to be aimed at, pictures are key!), including, pictures of the

Clare Rossetter
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Every day we watch for birds" is how the book begins and then each page has the name of a common bird in large font with a brief description below (2 to 5 words). Each page also has a drawing of the bird in it actual color. Each page is a color that contrasts with the bird colors. The end pages share more information about each bird and under scores the author's belief that there is beauty all around us if we just look.
Abigail Rothwell
I love this book of poems for children. It is a rhyme full of types of birds, and how they are Also, in the end of the book, it provides pictures and descriptions of the birds. I love this book, because you can take students on a field trip at a local park. The students can then search for the birds in the book.
Rebecca Davis
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twenty North American birds are surveyed in this story, written in verse. The lines are simple but help children identify various birds. The illustrations are bright and accurate. At the end, more facts are presented about birds should children wish to learn more.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Big Cat, Little Cat
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • The First Snowfall
  • Bear Out There
  • I Am a Baby
  • Good Morning, Snowplow!
  • The Book Hog
  • Best in Snow
  • Hide 'n' Sheep
  • Bob the Builder: Fall 2016 Shaped Board Book
  • Dr. Seuss's I Love Pop!: A Celebration of Dads
Amy Ludwig VanDerwater is author of children’s books including FOREST HAS A SONG (Clarion), EVERY DAY BIRDS (Scholastic), and READ! READ! READ! (WordSong). She is also author of POEMS ARE TEACHERS (Heinemann) and co-author of POETRY: BIG THOUGHTS IN SMALL PACKAGES (Heinemann). A former fifth grade teacher, Amy received her MA from Teachers College, has taught writing for nineteen years, and blogs ...more