Start by marking “Songs of My Selfie: An Anthology of Millennial Stories” as Want to Read:
Songs of My Selfie: An Anthology of Millennial Stories

Songs of My Selfie: An Anthology of Millennial Stories

Being twenty-something isn’t as cut and dry as it once was. For many, the early twenties is a time of tumultuous upheaval: unpaid internships, tiny apartments filled with roommates, and worries about what the future holds. For others, this is a time of stagnancy: of waiting and hoping and hometowns, and wondering what the hell college degrees are good for anyway. Instead o ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Three Rooms Press

To ask other readers questions about Songs of My Selfie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songs of My Selfie

On Loving Like a Human . . . by Aaron Thorpe 2 stars
Glitter a
Hollowspine
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very well edited anthology of stories from Millennials, ranging in scope from unemployed or underemployed grads struggling with debts and creditors and the feeling that they deserved more than a job at the local CVS to adults living with their parents making noise every morning at six am to being able to look so laid back in order to hide a secret fear...

The stories inside include some bordering on the fantastical, some treading the line of horror and many rooted in the everyday life fiascoes
Ron Dakron
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In "Song of Myself," Walt Whitman brays “I too am not a bit tamed — I too am untranslatable; / I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.” This April 2016, Three Rooms Press publishes a flock / murder / bevy of “barbaric yawps” – Millennial writers all under 26 – in “Songs of My Selfie.” In wry tales that yearn, squirm and slam, newbie scribblers Stephanie Bramson, Mina E. Holmes, Jared Shaffer, Katherine Sloane, Carolyn A. Drake, Constance Renfrow and (sorry!) too many gifted others ...more
Krista Varela Posell
Some of the stories are better than others. But overall, it's a solid anthology. I think it would be a strong choice for those teaching at the college level. I think a lot of these stories could be paired with texts from the canon (I thought of Joan Didion and Thoreau for a couple of them) to invoke discussion on the differences and similarities on how we tell our stories.
Kelly Jacobson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t intend to spend my snow day reading my ARC of Songs of My Selfie.

Instead, I intended to use today as a work day, to grade the never-ending composition papers sitting in my inbox or perhaps plan some promotional events for the spring.

But then I started the book.

At twenty-seven, I am just over the cutoff mark for the millennials who wrote the short stories in Songs of My Selfie, but when it comes to identifying with the stressed out, sleepless girl in the airport in Suzanne Herman’s “T
Tiff Ferentini
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you've been searching for some groundbreaking, refreshing literature from some of the newest voices in literature today, look no further. Songs of My Selfie is a phenomenal collection of some of the strongest, thought-provoking writing written by today's emerging millennial writers. The protagonists of the stories in Songs of My Selfie hail from their own unique walks of life and differ in many ways, but they all ultimately connect under the same common ground. They are all struggling in thei ...more
Ifra
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have so many feelings about this book. The fun, whimsical cover makes you think, this'll be another fun self-referential sort of book where our generation pokes fun at itself. And then you start reading it, and after every single story, you have to put down the book and wait for a while for all the feelings to be absorbed. It makes you, in a way, feel better about your crisis, in some ways, worse. More than anything, it's such a balm--there are others out there and so on--everyone's equally lo ...more
Megan
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Being a millennial leads to a lot of bumping and fumbling around, trying to find your place in the world, so this book filled with so many characters going through similar experiences gave me a fun and familiar reading experience. The lives of the characters ranged from the mundane to the magical and it was easy to get swept up in each successive story. The writing flowed very well, making it a very smooth read.
Rachel
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Songs of My Selfie is a fantastic collection featuring wonderfully talented young writers. The individual stories capture the essence of being young in today's world and are for anyone who has experienced growing up. The stories are unique and entertaining and would make a great gift for a recent graduate! Highly recommend!
Nikki
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I receievd this book for free from Goodreads give aways.

I am 26 so this book completely spoke to me. Once I started reading it I couldn't stop. I thought it was a good mix of stories and enjoyed all of them. I would definitely recommend to any millennial.
Julia
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enchanting, heartrending, and utterly relatable read for any and all millenials. A wonderful collection of stories from some of the brightest young writers today.
Stephanie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Songs of my selfie is a great book. These short stories are fun and quick reads. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a great and short read!
Cathy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wide range of strong interesting new voices. A must read for understanding twenty somethings.
Watch for these authors elsewhere!
Khayyam
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book instantly grabbed me and didn’t let go all the way through. I'm well out of my 20s but I enjoyed this immensely either way. Highly recommend to anyone, specially those that are well out of their 20s.
Lauren
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The stories get better as you go--don't give up on this one. There is a lot of blooming talent in these pages.
Debbie Colon
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed only three of the stories in this anthology
The Most Laid-Back Guy Ever page 1-11
Becoming John Doe page 14-23
Pill Pusher page 156-163
Sophie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I really, really wanted to like this book. To be precise, I wanted to love it. I'm a proud millennial, and God knows I've consumed enough fanfiction to know that I have a lot of really, really talented peers when it comes to writing. Yes, short story anthologies are always a mixed bag, with some gems, some crap, and some in between. And to be fair, this collection didn't have a lot of outright crap (only three stories, and I still managed to read two of them without skimming at all), but nor doe ...more
Jay Miraldi
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of these stories were just phenomenal. These are the stories of the eternally jaded, the people of my generation who wake up one day and realize they are a living existential crises and reading some of these made me feel like I was looking in a mirror.
Anna
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthology
There are some solid short stories in here ( Glitter and Glue , for example), but there's too much navel gazing and overall WTF for my taste. The idea of a millennial anthology is intriguing, but the execution is not good.
Harris
Despite having turned the big “3-0” almost half a decade ago, it feels as if I’ve only just succeeded in clawing my way out of that “quarter life” crisis in which one is unsure what one is doing, lost and alone in that confusing world of shifting responsibilities and expectations, self imposed and other. In fact, I still feel occasionally like I’m not really an adult at all! I’m not sure if the concerns and conceits of the Millennial generation are that different from the growing pains of previo ...more
Erin
Amanda
Aug 25, 2016
Ashley Kress
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Good collection of relatable stories. Not entirely impressive, but a few of them had some good twists and turns. I was quite unimpressed with the theme of running away from responsibility that permeated most of the stories. It's really a dozen love letters to NYC. Every writer in this book lives in or is from NYC.
Sara
rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Check out this cool PREORDER BUNDLE 1 2 Mar 21, 2016 08:38AM
Awesome review of Songs of My Selfie! 1 5 Feb 27, 2016 03:05PM
Giveaway 1 6 Jan 28, 2016 10:29AM

• A Dangerous Age
  • Stripped (Happy Endings, #1)
  • Shelter Stories
  • The Jungle
  • Clueless: Senior Year
  • Yours Always: Letters of Longing
  • Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
  • Chumbalina the Plump Princess
  • But Gentlemen Marry Brunettes: The Illuminating Diary of a Professional Lady (20th-century Classics)
  • The Money Tree
  • Everywhere Stories: Short Fiction from a Small Planet
  • Vote First or Die: The New Hampshire Primary: America’s Discerning, Magnificent, and Absurd Road to the White House
  • Serendipidus
  • Children's Letters to a Holocaust Survivor: Dear Esther
  • Gloria's Voice: The Story of Gloria Steinem, Feminist, Activist, Leader
  • Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics
  • Border Lore: Folktales and Legends of South Texas
  • Let's Dance a Waltz 1
Constance Renfrow is a New-York-based writer and editor. She is the lead editor for Three Rooms Press and a freelance editor/ writing coach. She hosts a monthly open mic series at the Merchant’s House Museum. Her fiction and poetry have appeared in such places as Cabildo Quarterly, Denim Skin, Petrichor Machine, Restless, and Two Cities Review, and her articles have been featured on DIY MFA and Li ...more
“I'm looking for something new to believe in that isn't the way people yearn at night in the city.” 3 likes