Start by marking “Black Creek” as Want to Read:
Black Creek

Black Creek

In 1979, the US government relocated more than eight hundred families from Love Canal, New York, after decades of toxic contamination. Not all of the residents left: some remained in their homes on the outskirts of the disaster area. Others went underground. Hiding. Changing. Breeding.

Almost four decades later, Love Canal has been renamed Black Creek Village and restored f
Published March 15th 2016 by Medallion Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Creek

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I had a bit of a reading slump the other day, and I needed to read something that was not too heavy, something that would entertain me. Some people may go for a chick-lit or perhaps a cozy mystery book. I choose a monster book. I just know that it will take away the funk I'm in. Sure a cozy mystery could probably help also, but sometimes I just love to get lost in a really gruesome monster book. And I was really lucky because BLACK CREEK is really good. This is the first book I have read by Greg ...more
Elke
While the main plot - mutants created by toxic waste - is not really new, the setting of 'Black Creek' during a whiteout blizzard was scary as hell. For a long part of the story, the snow storm is the only enemy the people living in the Black Creek area have to face, and it's a really mean one. The author did a great job bringing it to live, making me shiver to the bone just reading about and imagining it.

The invasion of the long forgotten underground inhabitants seemed just like the icing on th
Alice Dinizo
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Black Creek" is based upon facts concerning the famous, or is it infamous, Love Canal located in upstate New York. The canal was begun long ago by William T. Love who aspired to create a big industrial city. But Love ran out of money and only a mile of his canal was finished. By the 1920's the canal became a dump for chemical waste and local children suffered birth defects and women living nearby endured a high number of miscarriages. In this story set in modern times, Paul Goodman, his family, ...more
Emily
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An exciting horror story that combines the fears of being trapped in a whiteout blizzard and being hunted by cannibal mutants. The most imaginative take yet on what the Love Canal disaster might have spawned.
Sara Sykora
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book!

There were a lot of different characters, but the story line kept them in your mind so it was easy to remember who was who.

This is the kind of genre of book that I read quite often. I thought he did a very good job with keeping it moving while throwing in some things that made you wonder if that was really what you read and happened.

The only part I didn't enjoy was when the book came to an end. I thought it was too quick of an ending. I wanted more. Maybe Mr. Lamberson will c
Brian Mcclain
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story, but weirdly paced. First 2/3 were slow and the last bit was like out of an action movie.
Kristina
Ok, I actually did finish this book although I almost put it down quite a few times. It wasn't even the blood or gore that lost me, it was the amount and nature of the more mature rated scenes- I personally don't like to read things like that. I really liked some of the characters and by the time these scenes started popping up I wanted to know how the characters came out at the end, especially the family (Helen, Paul, Piper and Evan). The scenes I didn't like didn't occur too often so eventuall ...more
Kurt Springs
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review was first published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

For decades, hundreds of families lived above a toxic waste dump in a place called Love Canal, New York. There were reports of birth defects, cancer, and deaths. In 1979, the United States government finally relocated over eight hundred families. However, not all the residents left. Some remained in their homes just outside the disaster area. Others went underground. They hid from the authorities. They breed. And they mutated.

Forty year
Paul Mcnally
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the majority of this book, but the ending definitely lowered the amount of stars I was planning on giving it. I felt like the ending came on much too fast. A creature that had been hinted at a few chapters earlier is introduced and dealt with in a way that left a lot more questions than it resolved.

I thought the character development was great and the overall story idea was riveting (I had done a driveby of the Love Canal site the day before discovering this book). It was only t
Carolyn Hunter
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. Fast paced and thrilling. However, the idea that the story is about inbred cannibals feels slightly misleading. The majority of the story is taken up in surviving the harsh and dangerous winter storms. The cannibals play second tune until the very last part of the book. I enjoyed the survival aspect, but found the tone of the book shifted from thriller to horror at the end.
Vince Liaguno
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gregory Lamberson likes horror movies. No, I mean, he really likes horror movies.

It’s no coincidence then that the award-winning director of cult-favorite films like Slime City and Killer Rack wears his cinematic B-movie influences proudly in is latest novel, Black Creek.

For the residents populating Lamberson’s version of Black Creek Village – the real-life Niagara Falls neighborhood that sits atop the infamous Love Canal, in which 22,000 barrels of toxic waste were dumped in the late 1970’s cau
Melissa
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story has a slow build in the first couple of chapters, and Lamberson uses this time to flesh out the characters, their past, and the area they are living in. The characters feel very real, and it's easy to grow attached to them. With that being said, this is a horror novel meaning anyone and anything is fair game to be a target.
The action and terror were intense, and I enjoyed all the twists and turns in this novel. At times it felt like I was in a horror movie. Looking forward to reading
Dixie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read this author before, but by gosh I'm going to. A wonderfully awesome book. Great characters. Loved it
Rnbcicey
Dec 25, 2017
Michelle
Jan 06, 2017
Lizzy  Walker
rated it did not like it
May 07, 2016
Kathlene Frasher
Jul 17, 2016
Nita
Sep 11, 2016
Gregory Lamberson is an author and filmmaker who specializes in horror entertainment. He is a two-time winner of the IPPY Gold Medal for Horror and a three-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. A motion picture based on his award-winning novel JOHNNY GRUESOME will be completed and released in 2017,. Fangoria magazine called him "the hardest working man in horror."

Lamberson is the author of the six-nove