Start by marking “Poisoned: How a Crime-Busting Prosecutor Turned His Medical Mystery into a Crusade for Environmental Victims” as Want to Read:

After years of prosecuting hardcore criminals, rising legal star Alan Bell took a private sector job in South Florida’s newest skyscraper. Suddenly, he suffered such bizarre medical symptoms, doctors suspected he'd been poisoned by the Mafia. Bell's rapidly declining health forced him to flee his glamorous Miami life to a sterile "bubble" unit in the remote Arizona desert. ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Skyhorse (first published August 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned, please sign up.
Alan Bell I get this question quite often and I refer to it as “stable”. That’s not completely true though. The reality is I’m still on Neurontin. While I’ve cu…moreI get this question quite often and I refer to it as “stable”. That’s not completely true though. The reality is I’m still on Neurontin. While I’ve cut down my dosage I do have relapses. A couple of them have been serious. I had one in 2008 and another in 2014.
(less)
Alan Bell I returned to 110 Tower several years ago. I was cautious and nervous. I even held my breath walking in. When I finally inhaled for the first time it …moreI returned to 110 Tower several years ago. I was cautious and nervous. I even held my breath walking in. When I finally inhaled for the first time it was apparent that the whatever was in the building before was now gone. The materials finished outgassing and the ventilation must have been redone. I was able to walk out a free man. I was a survivor after that visit!
(less)

Start your review of Poisoned: How a Crime-Busting Prosecutor Turned His Medical Mystery into a Crusade for Environmental Victims
Doris Jean
This book was an easy read, fast and engaging and relevant to all of us living on Earth. I liked this book because we ARE being poisoned and we don't know the deep extent of it. I wish everyone could read this book for enlightenment since I believe we are all bathing in a sea of toxic chemicals in our food, clothing, cars, houses, air, soil, water – our complete environment. Attorney Bell was eventually, after many years, diagnosed with MCS - multiple chemical sensitivity.

He began his journey a
☼Book her,   Danno☼
~review copy

POISONED is an autobiography of Alan Bell, a successful Miami attorney. Bell basically grew up with Miami. When he was young, it was still a safe and cozy sort of town. As his career began to take off in his 30's it was a growing metropolis with high rises reaching for the sun.

His charmed life took a huge turn though when his company moved into the wrong skyscraper. The new carpet, paint and continued construction set off a firestorm in his immune system that sent his body into a su
SundayAtDusk
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, science
This is a fast-moving account of what happened to a hard-working attorney, who seemed to have a charmed life, when the environmental conditions of the brand new building he worked in made him sick. Very sick. Chronically sick. Irreversibly sick. Living in a bubble home in the desert in Arizona sick. Alan Bell went to over 100 doctors trying to find out what was wrong with him. He also tried all sorts of alternative medical treatments, and even went to downright quacks, desperate for a cure. Both ...more
Katherine Coble
Eh.
He had good information for anyone who has environmental illness. But so much of the book is about how super awesome master of the world lawyer he was until the illness laid him low. It felt very braggy and self-promoting.
Jane Thompson
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Environmental contaminants

This book introduces the reader to the danger of environmental contaminants. While it may be hard to believe, and I have a real problem with alternative medicine, the fact is I discovered 64 years ago that I react to a chemical that is in cleaning products and dry cleaning fluid .
Robynne Lozier
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Emilio III
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alan Bell's memoir covers his legal background and his debilitating illness caused by an unknown chemical exposure he experienced while working in a new office building. It also offers a wake-up call for all of us about the threat caused by chemicals in our everyday environment.

Alan poses the theory that many of today's chronic illnesses are a direct result of chemical exposure. He uses his own experience with his illness and his work as a lawyer representing others harmed by chemical exposure t
Peaceful BookWorm
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent, informative read. I recommend it to anyone wanting to protect themselves and loved ones from injury due to chemicals which we are commonly exposed to and those who use them carelessly around anyone regardless of instructions. What happened to Alan Bell could happen to anyone, but it is less likely if you know what to look for and how to protect yourself. This book provides helpful and invaluable information at the end of the book.
Sarah B
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I found this non-fiction book fascinating. It's all about toxic black mold and what it can do to you. How it can make you sensitive to chemicals. The first person account of what happened to him and to the others he met is both scary and also very interesting. I read through the book very quickly. The thing that makes it the most frightening is that it's true. If you have had encounters with black mold or knows someone who has you should read this book. It's a real eye opener! ...more
Ford
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book made me much more aware of the damage toxic chemicals can have on some people. I am NOT one who seems to be very sensitive to chemical exposure. I was very careful in my 40 years of working in a Chemical Lab at a Nuclear Power Plant.
Patrick L McCloskey
Thought it was a fictional thriller. Wrong! It was a factual thriller. I loved it, bc it woke me up, big time. God Bless Alan Bell. Read this book as fast as you can!!!
Cdnkiwi80
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book on a very scary subject. Fascinating to read all his symptoms and the journey he went on. A very relevant topic, especially in the world we live in today !
Litsa
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know about the silent killer, yet we do nothing about it.
Awjtf
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are many who get sick from Toxic new buildings! Or old buildings! Very informative!
Dennyg
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating account of Mr. Bell's quest for his health and then the legal quest to help the chemically injured. ...more
E.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Three stars... two for the writing, one for the subject and truth to it. Tough read at the end, but still.. the message is important.
Rhonda Moore-Hiesberger
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alan has done a fantastic job of catching the readers attention by tapping into ones one psyche. He has also identified and brought to light a very real issue in the environment today. This issue will not easily go away without the awareness and assistance of all of us for a greater future.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Grace Hyde
Jan 29, 2020
Natalie Hughes
Mar 12, 2018
Lisa
rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2018

• The Lions of Fifth Avenue
  • The Poison Tree: A True Story of Family Terror
  • In Plain Sight: The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders
  • Chase Your Shadow: The Trials of Oscar Pistorius
  • To Kill and Kill Again: The Terrifying True Story of Montana's Baby-Faced Serial Sex Murderer
  • Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret
  • Richie: A Father, His Son, and the Ultimate American Tragedy
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • In the Shadow of the Valley: A Memoir
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • Finding Melancholy: One choice. Two paths. A brutal binary proposition.
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat
  • Kids for Cash: Two Judges, Thousands of Children, and a $2.6 Million Kickback Scheme