Start by marking “See You in the Cosmos, Carl Sagan” as Want to Read:
See You in the Cosmos, Carl Sagan

See You in the Cosmos, Carl Sagan

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  8,788 ratings  ·  1,823 reviews
A space-obsessed boy and his dog, Carl Sagan, take a journey toward family, love, hope, and awe in this funny and moving novel for fans of Counting by 7s, Walk Two Moons, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

11-year-old Alex Petroski loves space and rockets, his mom, his brother, and his dog Carl Sagan—named for his hero, the real-life astronomer. All he w
Advanced Reader Copy, 320 pages
Published 2017 by Dial Books / Puffin

To ask other readers questions about See You in the Cosmos, Carl Sagan, please sign up.
Jack Cheng I'm not working on a sequel at the moment, but won't rule out the possibility of one in the future ;)…moreI'm not working on a sequel at the moment, but won't rule out the possibility of one in the future ;)(less)

·  8,788 ratings  ·  1,823 reviews

Start your review of See You in the Cosmos, Carl Sagan
L A i N E Y
Audiobook rating: 5 stars
Story rating: 3 stars

Such pleasure to be on this journey with Alex and Carl Sagan. 🚀 Tons more enjoyable than I expected!

Since the story was told by Alex, an 11 year-old boy with responsibility level of at least a 13 year-old, we were limited in knowing several stuff ex: the older kid from the train (what happened to him there??) or with Terra and Steve. And we didn't delve into Seth's vow of silence early on either.

But the 'diary' format suited the audiobook perfectly
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone I can browbeat into reading it; yes, it's that good!
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
It’s a cliché to say about a book that you didn’t want it to end, but sometimes the cliché is the truth. So it is with this middle-grade book like no other, one that children and adults alike will adore.

Science geek Alex Petroski would be the first to point out that his real age may be 11, but his “responsibility age” would be much, much older. And, readers, you will agree with him. His father died when Alex was 3, his older brother — 24-year-old Ronnie, a college sports star turned sports agent
Hirdesh
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks for Netgalley and respective publishers.

"Hello guys, This is Hirdesh and I was reading SEE YOU IN THE COSMOS AND I loved it."
Books have comprised in such way of recording by the leading character.

Book was about a 11 Eleven years old boy Alex who loves 3 things-
*Doing recording.
* CARL SEGAN- his dog.
* Rocket launching- he didnt knew, but he was great leaner in that.

Easy and lovely piece of writing and loved to read it thoroughly.
It was captivating.
Mar B
There are not enough stars in the cosmos!
This book is just precious!
5 precious cosmic stars!

EVERY HUMAN IN THE UNIVERSE NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK. ESPECIALLY KIDS!

I was so captivated after reading it all I want to do was lay back on the beach and stargaze as I used to do with my dad when I was little and then... sigh... and wonder... and sigh.. and wonder...

This book is written from Alex’s POV and I fell, irremediably and idiotically, in love with his voice.

It reminded me of my daughter when she
Dannii Elle
I received this in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to he author, Jack Cheng, and the publisher, Dial Books, for this opportunity.

This follows the journey of 11-year-old space-obsessed Alex Petroski, and his dog Carl Sagan, as they travel to a space camp to launch their home-made rocket. There Alex attempts to emulate his hero, the real-life astronomer Carl Sagan, and launch his golden IPod, containing all his recorded musings about life on Earth, into space.

The journey he
Emer (A Little Haze)
This was a very sweet story aimed at the middle grade market.

The main character Alex is an eleven year old boy (but with a responsibility age of 13!) who is passionate about all things space and rocket related. His hero is the astronomer Carl Sagan after whom he names his pet dog. The inspiration for the format of this book comes from the Voyager Golden Records. These were recordings chosen by Carl Sagan and an expert panel to be representative of life on Earth and sent into space on board the
Caroline
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
VIDEO REVIEW HERE FOR Y'ALL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKH9...

*SIGH* File this one under 'disappointing reads of 2017'. I first heard about this book at a Penguin Teen event I went to in January and thought it sounded super cute so when it came out I picked it up. The story follows our eleven year-old main character who is space obsessed and wants to launch a golden ipod into space (Carl Sagan and Nasa once sent a Golden record). He ends up going on this BIIIGG journey and meeting a bun
Melody
This was a cute book, although some of the events were a little unbelievable. It kept my attention and I was rooting for Alex. I listened to the audio version. The audio version had more than just narration. It had other background noises, reminiscent of an old radio program.
Taylor Knight
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This was such a fun read. I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed this book a lot.
I really loved the narrative and Alex is such a cool character. His family life is so sad but it was heartbreaking how he didn't seem to notice how anything was off with his family. He was such a happy kid with his cute dog. I really appreciated how it mentioned within the first few pages that Alex is a POC.
The characters are all amazing and I loved them. Jack Cheng wrote such a fun cast of characters a
Zyra
love this book <3
alex = cute, sweet, innocent, genius, honest, intelligent, adorable, responsible.
entire book is in form of recordings. so heartfelt & brave. we get to know about his life, his family, his friends, his passion, his dog, his road trip & so on. entire book is so original, honest & innocent. i loved the writing style so much, totally suitable for alex & his journey.
Liz
I LOVED this book. Even when I was only halfway through, I was recommending it to people. So good. It was fun, it was adventurous, it was even suspenseful at times! I listened to this as an audiobook and the cast was SO good, too. Much like the physical book, the audiobook is set up as recordings on the Golden iPod. I thought that was very interesting. There are times when it's live and in the moment, and times when Alex is relaying something that had just happened or memories from when he was y ...more
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars!

Wow. What a beautiful and heartbreaking story.

I listened to this one as an audiobook which I think was a fantastic decision considering this story is told through audio recordings that our young protagonist Alex is creating on his iPod so that he can send it into space for aliens to find and learn more about planet Earth. I didn't read the synopsis before starting this one so I was unaware of the format, but it just worked so perfectly as an audiobook. There were mult
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Galley provided by publisher

Rep: Filipino mc

See You in the Cosmos is written as a series of recordings, made by Alex Petroski, emulating his hero, Carl Sagan, who sent the Golden Record into space. The story follows Alex as he first treks to a rocket convention, and then home (via a circuitous route), finding new friends and family along the way.

I genuinely don't know how to describe this book. It's a wonderful read, though very emotional, and made even more so by dint of being from Alex's point
Book Riot Community
I was absolutely mesmerized by this book! Eleven-year-old Alex Petroski wants to launch his golden iPod into space, just like his hero Carl Sagan launched his Golden Record on a spacecraft in the 1970s. Alex spray paints his iPod with gold paint and sets off to capturing the sounds of life, so that extraterrestrial creatures that find his iPod will know what life is like on earth. Alex plans to launch his iPod at a rocket competition in the middle of the desert, and he has made just the right ro ...more
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
Woah! Just... woah! What an incredie book! I really want everybody to read this mesmerising story!

I picked it up when I saw it was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards this year, and I am so glad that I did.

This book is told in a series of recordings 11-year-old Alex has made on his iPod, which he plans to send into outer space on a rocket he's building. He's making the recordings so that the aliens can get an idea of what it's like being a human on Earth.

Normally I immensely dislike unusu
{MyDearestClementine}
This was a FANTASTIC audiobook! Check it out if you're looking for a great book to listen to. ...more
Figgy
Actual rating 3.5

See You in the Cosmos is a gorgeous, heartwarming middle-grade novel, with a decent helping of rocket-related passion at its core.
People used to ask my hero stuff like that too. They’d say, We have so many problems here on Earth, we have global warming and was in the Middle East and kids in Africa who don’t have food or clean water, so why should we try to go to Mars or communicate with extra-terrestrial intelligence when we can’t even solve all the problems we have on our own p
Erin Kelly
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book on a five-hour flight from L.A. to Philly. I could not put it down. It's so, so good. Not only is this a new favorite, Alex has got to be one of my #1 favorite character/narrators ever. He's such a sweetheart and the book has many unexpected surprises. Someone make this a movie, yes?

I noticed that some reviewers had trouble connecting with Alex's voice -- his manner of speech and how he views the world. I assumed he was a kid on the spectrum, which is why he was so literal,
EmmiK
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads

Such an original plot and choice of delivery in terms of the writing. I laughed out loud a few times, chuckled quite a bit and even shed a tear once or twice. If a book can bring all this out of me then I usually consider my time well spent!

I recommend this book to anyone looking for an uncomplicated, easy read that is something quite different from the usual books out there.

One issue I had with the book was that Alex was naïve and seemed more like a six y
Jazzy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was just curious about Middle-grade fiction, I wasn't expecting to be on a week-long book hangover after reading this. Let's be honest: Middle-grade fiction is REALLY GOOD. This book was exceptional. As in, really really really exceptional. In the best way. Ever. Because it was about an 11-year-old, I was kinda like, "This should be interesting in an uninteresting way." Idek why I got it from the library. Maybe the title convinced me? I do like the title
muthuvel
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Space obsessed Kid with his Dog Carl Sagan explores a series of events eventually leading to a kind of ending that makes the readers feel happy and appreciable for the life they had through this 320 page work.

Normally I prefer Nonfiction over Fiction with an exception when it is science based or inspired. And this book is my first YA kind, at first the cover impressed me and after reading the description, i felt confident enough to try it and I'm glad i did it. It's very different from the co
Alexx
(This book review is also on my blog.)

After reading King of Scars, I was in some sort of hangover. I didn't know what to read next, I had no motivation to read another book (it is frustrating!). I knew I needed something contemporary, something light as I've binge read so much fantasy novels this month. Fortunately, See You in the Cosmos is exactly what I needed to refresh my reading mood and my senses! It was beautiful, touching, fun, and downright wonderful.

The writing
The writing style of this
Lucy
Alex Petroski loves space and rockets. All he wants is to launch his golden iPod into space the way Carl Sagan launched his Golden Record on the Voyager spacecraft in 1977. From Colorado to New Mexico, Las Vegas to L.A., Alex records a journey on his iPod to show other lifeforms what life on earth, his earth, is like.

As soon as I heard about this book, I was intrigued. I loved the concept of a middle-grade novel introducing child readers to the wonders of the universe, and the idea of life beyo
Kristel (hungryandhappy)
[ARC received via Netgalley]

When I requested this book I did it because it was about a kid in love with space. I love space but trust me I don’t love it as much as Alex does. That kid knows everything there is to know about rockets, planets and space in general. He even built his own rocket and is making recordings to send to outer space so that aliens can know in advance how is life on Earth.

Alex is only eleven years old but thirteen in responsibility years, or so he says and I believe him. He
Michelle Glatt
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the format and voice in this book. Alex is a very lovable character and I am glad that his story included how he found a family in unexpected ways.
Dhir Kothari
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See you in the cosmos

Well sometimes you get clasp from what you read in recent times and in my case, i got so much involved in the sweet, warm and loving story that I never wanted to end, also I want its sequel to continue the journey of an eleven-year-old boy whose name is Alex pestroski. For me, it's pretty difficult to jumble a short review on this beautifully and innocently written novel. Most of the time I laughed, smiled and got intrigued even when no one was around me but still I felt so
Sam
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
3.75/5

Space + hard hitting topics + middle grade sweetness is a win for sure! And the fact that there’s a dog, of course!
Kirsty
I received a copy via Net Galley.

Actual rating 3.5

I thought that this was a really enjoyable read. This book follows Alex who travels to a rocket convention to launch a rocket that he has created. Alex travels to by himself to the convention as his mum is not well enough to take him and his brother is busy. He travels with his dog and whilst at the convention he meets Zed and Steve and they travel to Las Vegas together. Whilst in Las Vegas Alex discovers some secrets about his dad.

I thought th
Marina
** Books 06 - 2018 **

This books to accomplish Tsundoku Books Challenge 2018

3 of 5 stars!

I dunno why but the story is kinda good enough for me and so so. I am not really entertained with this pieces. Somehow Alex too mature for his age and the problem solving about disappearance Carl Sagan is so so. I recommend this one if you love Astronomy and aerospace stuff since so many things related. The books is good enough but it is not memorable one for me.

When i saw this Hardcover edition with only ID
Chelsea slytherink
review also posted on Wordpress! spoiler-free review!

I received an e-ARC from Penguin Random House UK Children’s through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

I feel absolutely horrible about deciding not to finish See You in the Cosmos only 15 percent in. But I have to be honest: the only reason why I would finish this, is because it's an advanced reader copy.

I requested this book because of its beautiful cover and because the synopsis sounds very cute. But when I started See You in the C
Mock Newbery 2022: June Read - See You in the Cosmos 39 218 Aug 02, 2017 09:28AM

• We Dream of Space
  • The Science of Breakable Things
  • Amal Unbound
  • Three Keys (Front Desk, #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • The Someday Birds
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Orphan Island
  • Ptaki dziwaki
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Hello, Universe
  • Shouting at the Rain
Jack Cheng was born in Shanghai and grew up in Michigan. After nearly a decade in New York, working in advertising and tech, he now lives in Detroit.