Start by marking “Hard Times in Dronetown (Beyond the Dome, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
Hard Times in Dronetown (Beyond the Dome, #0.1)

Hard Times in Dronetown

(Beyond the Dome #0.1)

Three years before the events of Drone (Beyond the Dome: Book 1), Vikka and Rylee are best friends. Now its Rylees turn to become a factory girl, but even that wont help her escape her cruel father or the awful life the New World Plutonomy has planned for her. When Rylee runs away to find a way beyond the Dome that covers Alpha City, Vikka is desperate to find and save her ...more
Published July 16th 2015 by Jackson Dean Chase, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Hard Times in Dronetown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Times in Dronetown

Start your review of Hard Times in Dronetown (Beyond the Dome, #0.1)
Dianne
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, own, ya-fantasy
In a dystopian world where there is no hope for the working class to better themselves, life is played out like a hamster on a wheel, people go through the motions of life, but will get nowhere. Life is mapped out and one does what is expected. Gone is the defiance of youth, the search for individuality, gone is the rite of passage, Freedom of Choice. It is nonexistent for Vikka and Rylee, but Rylee is determined to find a life out from under the oppression of the dome. This is their story, of ...more
Jen Southmayd
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've already read 'Drone' by Jackson Dean Chase, so I was super excited to see this short story offered for free!
Here you will read about Vikka's best friend, Rylee. Vikka has a special dispensation that allows her to stay at home to take care of her disabled parents rather than go into the workforce as required by law when a Drone turns 13.
Rylee isn't so fortunate.
Rather than be forced to do one more thing she hasn't chosen for herself, Rylee makes a hard decision that will change her life
Alicia Huxtable
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm

I just don't know. This is a very short lead up story followed by a couple of chapters to book 1. It was interesting but probably not quite enough for me to feel like book 1 is a necessity
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
REVIEW
I had been asked if I was interested in reading the first book in the "Beyond The Dome" Series by the author, so I decided to purchase this prequel to see if I would enjoy his writing style and his world building etc prior to reading more in the series.

This title is the second book that I have read before even adding it to Goodreads. It took me a couple of reading sessions to complete but could probably read in just one sitting.
In this prequel novella we get a brief insight into the lives
Debra Schwitzer
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Read after Drone

This was an extremely short story that gives a tiny bit more info about one non-character from DRONE. Too short to pay for.
Mike Keller
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Under the dome life as a Drone was all planned out.

Until turning 13 you learn what you need to know to work for one of the corporations. At 13 you are assigned to work for a corporation 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, until you turn 40 when your genetic expiration date is reached and you die. Until then you are expected to have a mate assigned and have 1 child.
Living in the tallest residences, nearly touching the opaque grey dome, are the Elites. The Elites run the corporations and enjoy the
Sonia
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this after the first book and didn't feel it added a lot. Enjoyed the first book much more.
alice Tileston
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like this authors works! never boring
Brad
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This provides some very interesting background on the main character. It doesn't take long before you are rooting for her.
Morgan Davis
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written and captivating

I'm just stopping by here on my way to buy the next book. Totally worth it. I can't wait to get the rest of the story and see how this works develops!!!
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not Kindle Unlimited, received it via one of those here are some free books hope you take the time to review it. Actually aware of this writer, read Worms Ate Your Face {poetry collection} and quite a few of his other works, and he never has been 'right' but he's been entertaining and sometimes amusing and sometimes gross, but at least never boring.At one time had quite a few on ku but don't think any or many now.Just check out his writer page on amazon already.Some of the others got through ...more
laurie moore
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great start

A huge teaser, I could get lost in this series, I definitely want to read more of Jackson's books when I get the chance.
Donna Sanders
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am very intrigued. I want to read more of this world and learn more about the characters.
Barry Edstene
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this in a few stops between other books. Well written and good storyline. just not for me, so many great books and so little time.
Julie Stafford
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love stories about a Dystopian world. At first I thought this would be like the Hunger Games. It is anything but. There are Elites and then the Drones. That's it. No middle class at all. Sound a little bit like where we are headed today? The Drones have to buy the air they breathe like a utility and if you can't pay, the air is shut off. No exceptions. This Dystopian story definitely has a deeper and darker twist to it than any other one I have read. It makes you think. Could this really ...more
Andretta Schellinger
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Full review on Fangfreakintasticreviews.com

The story is about two young girls who were drones in an alternate future where adults work until they die, and their children go in and work until they die. As they contemplate their future one decides that she is going to get out of the dome by any means necessary and leaves to try her luck at living as a proverbial enemy of the state.

What happens is not as Rylee or Vikka had hoped for. As Vikka finds out, her friend not only did not find a way out,
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
Saw this reviewed by an author friend and I was looking for a quickie read and something to help the reading slump I was in. I read this a couple weeks ago so I don't really remember much. I don't think this brought be out of my slump like I had hoped it was but it didn't really, It was a quick little filler and I had thought about reading the first one in the series if it had been free but it wasn't.

Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Melba
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
I enjoyed reading this book, which is a prequel to 'Drone'. This gave a bit of background information, and what led up to the situations in the book of 'Drone'.

This one isn't very long, but it does provide insight into the characters a bit. I am so looking forward to the second book, Warrior, so I will be glad when it finally comes out.

Dana Burkey
Aug 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
This "short story" was basically 10 pages long, if that, and did not give much of the story at all. I am all for a short prequel for a series but this was not even that. I didn't care about what happened to the characters, and the plot is one I have seen done better. All in all it did not make me want to read more...
PJ Lea
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short prequel that pulls no punches about the horrific future that two young girls live in.
It's harsh, shocking and heartbreaking, while also tempting me in to find out what comes next for them.
I do wish it was a bit longer but maybe its brevity is what gives it such an impact.
Duawana Wilson
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didnt expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down!
It is so different from what I normally read. Jackson Dean Chase is a talented writer to say the least.
Tia
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Freaky and Scary

This short story is creepy but it settles in the reader's mind as a what if? It truly makes you think of a possible negative future and scares you enough to worry for our future children's children. Nice imagination.
Melinda Labuscagne
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the book. The only way she can come back is if she receives artificial limb and become a strong person.
Bill
J.S. Menefee
Nov 27, 2017
Lene Blackthorn
May 13, 2016
Jackson Dean Chase is a USA TODAY bestselling author and award-winning poet. His fiction has been praised as "irresistible" in Buzzfeed and "diligently crafted" in The Huffington Post.

Chase's books on writing have helped thousands of authors overcome writer's block and craft dynamite story hooks. As a ghostwriter and coauthor, his celebrity clients include actors, rock stars, and YouTube

Beyond the Dome (2 books)
  • Drone (Beyond the Dome, #1)
  • Warrior (Beyond the Dome, #2)