Start by marking “Nope” as Want to Read:
Nope

Nope

Joanna Cardenas at Viking has pre-empted two debut picture books by editorial cartoonist Drew Sheneman. Nope tells the nearly wordless story of a baby bird who isn’t so sure it's a good idea to leave the nest, and Don't Eat That! is about a misguided bear looking for a post-hibernation snack. Nope is scheduled for spring 2017; Paul Rodeen of Rodeen Literary Management brok ...more
Published January 17th 2017 by Viking (first published January 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Nope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nope

Laura Harrison
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny with awesome whimsical illustrations.
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: NOPE! by Drew Sheneman, Viking, January 2017, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-101-99731-4

“There you stood, on the edge of your feather
Expecting to fly”
--Neil Young (1967)

“Speech balloons (also speech bubbles, dialogue balloons or word balloons) are a graphic convention used mostly in comic books, comics and cartoons to allow words (and much less often, pictures) to be understood as representing the speech or thoughts of a given character in the comic. There is often a formal distinction betwee
Margaux
nope.
Kristine Hansen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was watching a cartoon as this story unfolded with only two words (one repeated several times) in the entire book. The baby bird doesn't feel ready to leave the nest, but the parent most assuredly does. What happens next is sweet and funny.

I loved the art, the pacing, the absolute delight in which this story is told in a way that brings us all in the joke. We know what's coming, and we can't wait. The little bird's imagination is wonderful. This is a great story about taking chanc
R.A.
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I was laughing the whole way through this one!
Very few words but the art is so expressive and beautiful. The story is cute and funny.
Vern
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing illustrations. So adorable.
Tegan
Really fun book with beautiful illustrations. I loved it!
Lynn Plourde
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook, wordless
Mostly wordless delight--will that bird take flight? Fun illustrations and storytelling. Pair with DUDE! by Reynolds & Santat, another mostly wordless book.
Faith Tydings
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: award-committee
This is my new favorite book!! So cute. I read this five hours ago and I've already recommended this to half the staff that works at my branch. I love this book!!
Erin Buhr
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a humorous book about the brave step of taking flight for the first time. Mama bird thinks it is time for her Baby Bird to take off, but Baby Bird isn't so sure. The tree is up so very high and there could be cats or dogs or alligators...as imaginations run wild it seems like Baby Bird might never fly away. This book can serve as an analogy for so many of live's great moments of fear and bravery, but it also is a simple story about a bird leaving the nest. I was momentarily shocked when ...more
Diane
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's time for a baby bird to leave the nest. But the nest is WAY up off the ground. Each time the baby looks down, he imagines what he sees and the answer is always "Nope!" But the mother takes drastic steps and, well, you will have to see!
Stephanie Croaning
Baby bird is scared to take his first flight, but Mama knows just what he needs to get going!

Picture book, fiction
by Drew Sheneman
Viking, 2017
5 out of 5 stars

This is a humorous book about facing your fears. Children will love the adorable, cartoon baby bird. Sheneman shows him very expressively showing his reluctance to leave the nest. His temper tantrums and "nopes" will get a lot of laughs.

I think the humor in this book would make it a good one to read aloud to young children and open a discu
Colleen Dougherty
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not all picture books need to have a lot of words. This is a perfect example of such a book. In Drew Sheneman's beautifully illustrated debut picture book, each page allows the reader to ask questions to the children about what they see and what they think is happening. It's fun to see what kinds of answers they come up with and to imagine together! As a parent, I admit to a bit of melancholy knowing that one day it will be time for my own children to fly away on their own, but until then, I'll ...more
Bethany
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
An easy to narrate (almost) wordless picture book. A baby bird continues to tell its mother, "Nope!" whenever the little one peers over the edge of the nest down to the ground. The scenery below changes from a long drop to a clear grassy area, to including an angry looking cat, then 3 drooling wolves, and finally a pond full of chomping crocodiles! Mom gives some love and encouragement and then, "Boop!" send the baby bird on its first flight! Baby soars around the tree with increasing confidence ...more
Mary
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
2.5 stars from me. I think many children would enjoy this book. I like the low number of words, and how fun those words are (nope being the most common). I have mixed feeling on the message though. That you should possibly push past your comfort zone and be willing to try new things is a good message. But mama bird literally pushing baby bird out to get him to fly didn't sit quite right with me.

Wouldn't be great for story time because of the low number of words.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

A fantastically-told story in very few words. The pictures in this book are perfect. They put together an entire story by themselves. This is a humorous story that is simple, yet very entertaining. Great expressions and incorporation of text into the illustrations.

A fun book with wonderful illustrations.
Karen
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Drew Sheneman - where have you been? Welcome to children's literature. I loved this book. Somewhat wordless, yet the illustrations are so vibrantly detailed and expressive you feel the story. This picture book will also qualify as a graduation gift from High School. There is a big wide world out there. All you have to do is be open to it. I highly recommend this book.
The Brothers
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birds, wordless, fears, flying
This mostly wordless book is about a baby bird's fear of his first flight. His imagination goes into overdrive, but his mother encourage/coerces him to leave the nest. Opened up a very productive conversation with Jasper (4yo) about how we have to sometimes do things that scare us in order to grow and learn.

Illustrations are very fun!
Jesse
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Berry loved this (nearly) wordless picture book about a frightened baby bird who is afraid to fly and his mother who lovingly shoves him out of the nest so he can learn anyway. The illustrations are great and the inclusion of the word nope is done in interesting ways that add to the visual enjoyment of the book. Super cute!
Charles Frierman
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really nice story about learning to fly and making out to be worse than it is. Pictures were really fun and draw you in, which it needs to since there are minimal words in this book.

favorite character: baby bird
favorite moment: when he goes crazy screaming nope to his mom over and over again.
Frances Hotchkiss
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the bright colorful illustrations! Almost a wordless picture book the illustrations say it all! The fear of flying and being independent. But when we are finally forced to spread our wings and fly we find out it can be pretty nice! I think parents will relate to helping their children get ready to leave the "nest".
Margaret Boling
10/20/2017 ** I think children will get a huge kick out of this book - the birds are so expressive. Likewise, parents will empathize with Mama Bird, as she showers the chick with love, but then kicks it out of the nest - literally. I laughed out loud several times as I read this, and I look forward to sharing it with my elementary students.

Caldecott? Possible, but I'm leaning to no; it doesn't seem like the Sheneman pushes the edges to something new or explores deeper themes. Also, the illustrat
Jeff Corrigan
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good example of how a story can be told with little to no words if executed well. This almost-wordless picture book tells the story of a skittish young bird who is afraid to take the initial leap and learn to fly, but whose mother is there to push them to learn new things and take new adventures. Thumbs up. ~The Librarian Uncle
Tori
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A momma bird encourages her baby bird to fly and leave the nest. Baby bird's not having it. While imagining all sorts of terrors on the ground below, baby bird firmly repeats "Nope," with varying levels of expression.
Although "Nope" is almost the only word in this book, the pictures make this a dynamic story with lots of room for expression during a storytime reading.
Carol  Vanhook
Looking for a smile today? Get this book, NOPE! by Drew Sheneman, and read it. It's basically a wordless picture book but the pictures vividly tell the story. The little one is ready to branch out, but he says, NOPE! He imagines all kinds of fears till finally mom nudges him on, and you can guess how that goes. You will chuckle at the final word. It isn't NOPE!
Marcie
I guess because of so many positive comments I expected more. I didn't have either an emotional reaction to the story, or a extreme love of the illustrations. I thought it was funny and may find an audience, but I like Jabari Jumps much better for reading to preschoolers to encourage trying something new or challenging.
Amber
Mostly wordless the facial expressions of the birds in this book are hilarious! What's a bird to do when all he sees are scary things when he looks out of the nest? Mama bird just may have the best solution!
Chris Hays
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, teaching, children
This is a solid book teaching about courage and a bit of parenting. The artwork showing the different perspectives allow for the dreaming within the story. This book would pair well with Jabari Jumps.
Serenity
This is a very cute almost wordless picture book. I think young children will enjoy "reading" along and expressing the young bird's emotions. Also a small lesson in confidence and taking chances.

*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher*
Stacy
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nearly wordless. I thought this book was hilarious! I think I actually laughed out loud when the bird would look down and the ground would get progressively worse. This book would make a great graduation gift!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Neck & Neck
  • Priscilla Gorilla
  • Boat of Dreams
  • I Am Not a Chair!
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Elmore
  • Floaty
  • Nothing Can Frighten a Bear
  • Found
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • The True Adventures of Esther the Wonder Pig
  • Door: (Wordless Children’s Picture Book, Adventure, Friendship)
  • Flora and the Peacocks
Drew Sheneman is an author, illustrator and nationally syndicated cartoonist. He has been drawing professionally since 1998 after becoming staff editorial cartoonist of The Star-Ledger, New Jersey's largest newspaper. Drew has won The Charles Schulz award from Scripps Howard, The John Locher Award from The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and The Deadline Award from The Society of Pro ...more