Start by marking “What Will Grow?” as Want to Read:
What Will Grow?

What Will Grow?

Seeds can be big or small, round or pointy, and all sorts of colors. They can become flowers, trees, fruits, or vegetables, and they grow all times of year, during spring, summer, fall, and winter.

But all seeds have one thing in common--inside each is a new plant life waiting to emerge. What kind of plant will bloom? Wait and see what will grow!

This jacketed companion pict
32 pages
Published 2017 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about What Will Grow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Will Grow?

Start your review of What Will Grow?
Mischenko
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
What Will Grow? is an adorable little rhyming book about growing plants. There's not that much text which makes it great for very young readers. It's a great toddler book too and has a few surprise fold out pages.

Oval, Flat.
Soon Fat.
What Will Grow?... PUMPKIN.

The illustrations by Susie Ghahremani are colorful, interesting, and perfect with the story.

4****

Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
4.5
I read quite a few children's books, but I don't rate them all on goodreads. This one, however, I felt was worthy to be shared with others. This picture book has a fresh and original feel to it that lyrically explores the world of seeds. The illustrations show what the individual seeds actually look like, and then it shows how they grow into specific plants. (The inner botanist in me, can't help but be impressed with the entire book.) I loved how some of the pages opened up into three, fold p
Nicole
Beautiful illustrations set this book apart from the rest! Watch what happens when a seed finally sprouts in the many fold out pages of this book. Children will see the diversity of nature's seeds and all the amazing plants they grow into.
Janet
This is a spot on perfect book focused on seeds for the very youngest. The colors of the illustrations are bright and big with accurate detail of the individual seed. The format is that of a question and answer. On the left hand side there is a brief question, followed by the refrain "what will grow". On the right hand side is the answer to the question. The two page spread illustrations show the seed, with various stages of growth of the plants and the final mature plant.
All of the seeds are ac
Vicki
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A very clever book about seeds and guessing what will grow. Soft wonderful colors for the illustrations and a few fold out pages are perfect. The end papers have a close up of many of the seeds used in this book.

The title is a repetitive phrase in the book making this a great read aloud for a group.
Ryan
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just read this gorgeous book with my 5-year-old daughter. We were marveling over how sublimely textured the art is, how rich the color is, and the sweet character moments to look for in each page (my daughter particularly liked the fox biting the tomato). The text is simple but fun and clever, and what was so cool is that my daughter could read this to ME on the first read. She really loved being able to do that. She's also been very into planting seeds lately, so this book came at the perfect t ...more
Karla
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every child whether young or old will smile, feel enriched and inspired after spending time exploring this gorgeous book. I stress spending time, not only reading, as each page is full of surprises and important knowledge for all.
Particularly in these times of climate change and global environmental issues, it is wonderful to find a book that stresses the basics beauty found in Mother Nature. While discovering What Will Grow, one finds multiple pages, some of them fold out pages, illustrating an
Dana
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Simple, fun to read, some pages open up to reveal large plants.
Michele Knott
Short, rhyming text will appeal to the younger crowd, but will have mass appeal to teachers who are looking for texts to help cover planting/growing/life cycles. Great for 2nd grade NGSS.
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool and kindergarten teachers to introduce the life cycle of plants.
Shelves: picture-books
The wonders of seeds are introduced in this fun, informative book that even young children could understand. Twelve seeds are introduced. Each features a four to five word rhyme followed by the repeated phrase “What will grow?” On the right, the plant that grows from that seed is shown along with wildlife (squirrels, birds, insects) that eat either the seed or the fruit of the seed. In four instances, a gatefold hides the plant. The folds cleverly change direction depending on what plant they re ...more
Hayley DeRoche
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
What a charming book! This seasonally-structured book walks kids through different things that grow throughout the year with occasional flip-out pages. The text is sweet without being saccharine, and the illustrations are colorful and warm. I found myself wanting to slice out the sunflower flip-out page to frame. The additional pages at the end with information about all the seeds and the growing process are an added bonus to a charming picture book for little gardeners.

One downside I can see is
Viviane Elbee
This is a great book about plants - drawing a connection between the seeds and the "adult" plant.
The illustrations are very well done, and kids who are familiar with some of the seeds should be able to guess which plant will grow from the seed.
The book's back matter includes the plant life cycle and more details about how each seed grows & how long it takes for the seed to become a mature plant.
This would work well with preschool age and elementary age students who are studying plants and plant
Desiree
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in the book are amazing! Lush colors and a simple yet engaging text makes "What Will Grow?" a wonderful interactive book for preschool aged children. "What Will Grow?" invites the readers to guess what is growing based on the plant structures poking up from the ground. I also like the use of rhyming text to help pace the story. This would be a wonderful companion book for teachers who are doing a segment on spring or gardening. The book also has a wonderful glossary of seeds wi ...more
Tasha
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The author and illustrator pair who brought us What Will Hatch? return with another winning picture book. Here children get to guess what plant will emerge from the seeds being planted. Told in rhyme, the book invites guessing and participation. Some pages offer the answer immediately while others ask readers to fold out a page to see the answer. The book shows that seeds can turn into all kinds of different plants from carrots to sunflowers to pine trees. It also demonstrates the various shapes ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
From seed to full-grown plant.

This book has a short rhyme on every two page spread, ending "What will grow? ______"

Example: Seed sow. In a row. What will grow? Lettuce.

Shows the huge variety in the way seeds look.

There are lots of fold-out pages. They're super effective for sunflowers (where it unfolds upwards to show the tall flower) and carrot (where it unfolds down to show the carrot in the ground.)

Back matter gives more info on each type of seed shown.
Rachael Jones
This is a GORGEOUS book with detailed poetry introducing different seed types, and at the end even gives instructions for how to sow each type of seed mentioned in the story. This would be a great book to read to little ones when introducing a gardening unit, or with older students looking at informational texts, poetry, and descriptive language. I love love love this book and will 100% make sure this is in my library from the get-go.
Meg
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my playtime, partially because everyone seems to be planting a garden these days. The engaging format makes it interesting to read but not too crazy fragile to handle (fold-out pages instead of flaps or pop-ups augment the illustrations). Short enough to hold attention, with a little information at the back about how seeds grow into plants. A solid pick for any second (small) set of hands that may be helping in the garden.
Mary
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cleverly illustrated account of many vegetables and plants that can be found in gardens. Animals adorn each page and some even open out to better illustrate how plants grow (underground, high into the sky, etc). Lots of new vocabulary even though the text is rather sparse. Good for ages 4 and under.
Kelly Snyder
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is great book about plants and seeds and how they grow. There are flaps and extended drawings and the illustrations are wonderful. It a great book to introduce the idea of growing a garden or other plants to children. I would pair this book with other "seed" or "growing" books like Elhert's "Planting a Rainbow" or "Growing Vegetable Soup."
Peggy Archer
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAT WILL GROW? is a beautiful book about the coming of spring. "Roly, round. Rain-soaked ground. What will grow?" Beautiful illustrations with four 'lift-the-flap' pages show what grows from different seeds as spring arrives. Lovely double-spread at the end, and more information about the seeds in back matter.
Faith Tydings
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: award-committee
Another great nomination for the Blue Crab Award...at least in my opinion! Simple sentence structure, informative, engaging, great illustrations, and a fun book to read. Some of the pages pull out and you just never know what you are going to get. The back matter is full of information about seeds and sowing and harvesting. This is a great nonfiction for beginner readers.
This is a beautifully illustrated book, and I really like the fold-out pages. The pages without fold-outs fall a little flat, since the "answer" is right on the same page. Several of the plants also do not grow in the area where I live, so they were unfamiliar to the children to whom I read this book, but that's OK.
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We love this book! My 3 year old loves the animals which appear on different pages, and this sweet book introduced her to how different plants grow from different seeds, paired with beautiful illustrations. We read this and then started some different seeds in a jar which brought the concepts in this lovely book even more to life for my daughter.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Clues about a seed and the reader can guess what will grow. A couple lift the flap pages are also in the book. Some of the clues are tricky if the reader is unfamiliar with the seed or product from the seed.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Casey
A more realistic and rhyming book of things that grow in gardens and outside, from dandelions to pine trees, throughout the four seasons. Has some pages that fold out in different directions to reveal what has grown.
Elaine Fultz
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-2-read-alouds
The cute cover doesn't effectively promote the excellent educational content here. Simple informative text pairs with whimsical illustrations to introduce seed to plant info. "Stripy black, crunch snack. What will grow?" Vertical fold-out presents the sunflower.
Jennifer Graham
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations, fun flaps to lift--a great addition for kids interested in nature, gardens, vegetables (yes, I know, that's weird but my kid loves talking about carrots), dirt, creepy-crawlies, and ladybugs.
Kate Nichter
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations, the rhyming, the pacing... this book is a fun way to grow children's vocabulary knowledge about nature and the way things grow. With page flaps and amazing details, this is a book both children and adults will love. "Oval, flat. Soon fat. What will grow?"
Christine
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loooved this as a nonfic storytime title for toddler and preschool. The little ones really liked pointing out the seeds they recognized, especially the acorns. One little guy was SO excited about the big sunflower fold out!
Dannie Moore
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-faves
Great for a garden themed storytime, What Will Grow can help intro budding readers (see what i did there?) to where their food comes from as well as other plants they may see in their neighborhood. Really fun illustrations, too, that will capture the attention of any nature lover.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quiet!
  • Frank the Seven-Legged Spider
  • A Perfect Day
  • Giant Pants
  • There's a Pest in the Garden! (The Giggle Gang, #2)
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Who Wants to Be a Princess?: What It Was Really Like to Be a Medieval Princess
  • I Am Not a Chair!