Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 3 (Smoke and Shadow, #3)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 3 (Smoke and Shadow, #3)

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 3

(Smoke and Shadow #3)

The identity of the Kemurikage revealed!

When Azula is discovered to be the ringleader o the shadowy Kemurikage, Aang and Zuko will stop at nothing to chase her down and rescue the children--even if it means turning on each other! As Zuko locks down the capital to find her, riots erupt in the streets and the citizens are on edge. An unexpected clue from Mai and Ty Lee wil
Published April 12th 2016 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
Hannah On a book already published I would say pick it up and read. But since this isn't published yet and won't be for a while, I guess you just have to…moreOn a book already published I would say pick it up and read. But since this isn't published yet and won't be for a while, I guess you just have to wait like the rest of us.(less)

ambyr
I am disappointed to say that this is the first ATLA comic that really hasn't worked for me. I'm still chewing it over, and perhaps I'll like it more when I give it a slower reread, but there's just too many loose ends, too many moments that could have been powerful but instead are rushed over.

(view spoiler)
Ashley
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awwwwww.
laura (bookies & cookies)
If this had been the last installment in all of the ATLA graphic novels, I'd be quite disappointed, but the next one (North and South) comes out October 2016! I have a feeling the stories are going to start overlapping more like The Rift and Smoke and Shadow did. Honestly, if they keep making graphic novels ad infinitum, I'd be happy forever.
Martina Urbanová
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
O niečo slabší príbeh než tie predošlé, možno preto, že nebol skutočne ukončený... (edit: ale to nevadí, lebo dnes som sa dozvedela, že komiksy budú pokračovať)
Aleksandra
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting and surprising conclusion to this arc.
It's more open-ended than previous comics but I feel like some things were indeed rushed, I wished we see more of Ursa post-meeting, more of her and her daughter, maybe Zuko and Mai, more of "those non-ghosts".

Also I think I'm the least emotional over ATLA: Smoke and Shadow because I was distracted and couldn't fully immerse into the story. I won't make the same mistake again.
Tilly
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
soooooooo good! :-)
Carmen
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

It was such a nice wrap for all three parts of the story, but I feel it needs more..
Jen • Just One More Page

This review is also posted on my blog.

Review for all three parts under the cut.
(view spoiler)
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gene Luen Yang has been constricted by DC's constant Superman crossovers for pretty much his entire run over there. Thankfully, he still gets to run wild with the Avatar universe as Smoke & Shadow comes to a close.

Rather than rounding the story off, this is just the next instalment in the series. There isn't a clear-cut ending, just the progression of everything that's been built up so far. The themes he explores with regards to Zuko and Azula, as well as Aang's role as Avatar in the new wor
Cath
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5* conclusion to the arc fell a little flat after all that build up :\
Annie (Putt)
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review will cover all three volumes of Smoke and Shadow.

Why I liked this story: It shows how blatantly people dislike Zuko because he isn't the tyrannical, power-hungry Fire Lord that Ozai was.  This book also shows the consequences of Ursa's choice to have her face changed not once, but twice, from herself to a new person and from a new person back to her original face.  Also we get to see some stuff about how the world was BEFORE the Fire Lords existed and legends about the first Fire Lor
Xiomy's Book Tales
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now while this closure is left open ended I'm excited to see where everything leads to! As I stated in my previous comment we get to see an old familiar face and while I do think that her plot devices were rushed it won't be the last we see of her! Zuko has a great heart but I feel like the writer wants him to regress at times and I'm here like why The Promise is over new arc new story! I also wish we could have gotten more fighting scenes since I do love the art work! But this segment delivered ...more
Jessica Mae
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Sniff*
The reason Zuko is one of my all-time favorite characters is because of the courage and humility he has to ask forgiveness when he makes a mistake. He makes a lot of mistakes! He sometimes has a hard time deciding what's right, letting fear or ego get in the way. But he learns to take wise advice, rise above how he was raised, and keep trying to be better. Never thought I'd see such an inspirational character in a Nickelodeon show. I saw myself reflected in his stepsister Kiyi, because sh
Jono
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful
Alysa Craigie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an honor to have been born during the time Avatar exists. An amazing read.
Miss Susan
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
pretty good but i'm starting to realize zuko has really bad instincts, like somebody's gotta stick around and remind this guy that his first impulse is almost invariably wrong

i think i'm saying the fire nation needs a senate. sober second thought is required here

also i hope we get more on azula in later series, this trilogy has rather more unwrapped plot threads than i would've liked. 3 stars
Earl
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Another riveting installment in the Avatar: The Last Airbender. What's great after having read the series this far is that you get invested in their stories and their histories. I love how messed up everyone's family seems to be.

The only downside was that it's become rather formulaic. I feel like there needs to be a major shake up coming soon.
Yohanna Sharianaskhan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
muAHAHAHAHAHAHHA i know the comic is supposed to be out in 2 DAYS but a lucky bird on tumblr managed to get a preview and decided to quietly share it on tumblr and I got to be the lucky few who read it early u.u

i LOVED IT. not just because of all the zuko/mai scenes but because anything with the fire nation has always intrigued me.

zumAI WILL BE CANNON
Your Common House Bat
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Avatar Fans
I got to read this one like way back in March thanks to tumblr lol. But I decided to wait until I actually got a physical copy to review it on here.

Any how 10/10 *was satisfied with the amount of Azula*
As always, I really enjoyed the comic as a whole, I really liked this story line. The whole fear based theme and the Kemurikage were wonderful. I'd really love to know more about those ladies.
B.C.
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Still only par, but a little better. They made some moves with characters that I liked. These stories need to have greater consequences.
Isaac
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so great! I love the illustrations.I really wish it was longer but its only a comic book.
Nikki Sojkowski
The conclusion to Smoke and Shadow, just like the rest of the Avatar graphic novels, was absolutely fantastic!
Happy White
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just love it. No word else to describe it.
Dipali
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, Kiyi might be my new favourite!
Katrina
An excellent conclusion. This trilogy is definitely my favorite of the Avatar books thus far. Every character moment is wonderfully and sensitively handled, with even Iroh showing up at just the right moment to give advice that brought tears to my eyes.

The shift with Mai's father was perhaps a little too swift, considering the lengths he'd gone to in his attempts to overthrow Zuko, but he hadn't seen the depth of Azula's madness before. In the end, he was a reasonably good man who simply had th
Sam Zhou
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This story is by Gene Luen Yang. The story is talking about the avatar help the firebender to find the
Lost kids. The Azula fight with them because she take the kid away let them see. But at last she run
Away. One time the avatar touch the wall, but everyone do not know that is a bottom. And it show a
Hallway, they go inside and come to a place have no people except for Azula. The avatar beat the Azula. Once again she run away. But this time, they find all the kids are lost.
Manisha
A leopard can never change her spots and the heroes saved the day.

What I liked the most about this was how Zuko asked the citizens of the Fire Nation to forgive him for acting rashly. He then promised to do better, and to be better. Unlike the politicians in real life, I believe him.

I'm glad he has Aang and the rest to help him.
Molly
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The older I get, the more I appreciate how the Avatar universe deals with complicated and dark topics. I was impressed with this graphic novel's treatment of recovery from emotional abuse (Ty Lee and Mai with Azula, Ursa with Ozai). On an entirely lighter note, I never used to be a Mai/Zuko shipper, but things might have changed. Poor Kei Lo, though.
Andrea
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This didn't feel like much of a conclusion, honestly — I enjoyed the story, and yes the day was saved, of course, but (view spoiler). I really did like Zuko's speech at the end (view spoiler). That's something the world could use more of.
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Part Three (Turf Wars #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part One (Imbalance, #1)
  • Star Wars: Jango Fett - Open Seasons
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Star Wars #8
  • Sam Zabel And The Magic Pen
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Vol. 4
  • Milkyway Hitchhiking, Vol. 1 (Milkyway Hitchhiking, #1)
  • Valor (Valor, #1)
  • The Emerald City of Oz
  • Wayward, Vol. 2: Ties That Bind
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: One Girl in All the World (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • Darth Vader #6
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He

Smoke and Shadow (3 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 2 (Smoke and Shadow, #2)