Jump to ratings and reviews

The Three Little Pigs: A Nosy Crow Fairy Tale

Based on the award-winning apps, this series of Nosy Crow Fairy Tales is the perfect introduction for pre-schoolers to these classic stories. With simple child-friendly text and bright, modern artwork with lots of fun details, these make perfect read-alouds.

The three little pigs leave home to make their way in the world. The first little pig builds a house made of straw. The second little pig builds a house made of sticks. And the third little pig builds a house made of bricks. But it’s not long before the Big Bad Wolf turns up. He huffs and he puffs and he blows down the houses, one by one. But what will happen to the three little pigs?

32 pages, Hardcover

First published March 8, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ed Bryan

9 books4 followers
Ed Bryan has studied industrial design and worked as a 3-D artist, animator, and illustrator on video games. He likes nothing better than making up stuff and coloring it in. Ed Bryan grew up in Suffolk, England, in a house full of home computers and pencils.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (5%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Mama Bibliosoph.
271 reviews13 followers
December 17, 2017
I'm always looking for a good fairy tale picture book, because, astoundingly, they are almost universally terrible. That is why I'm so excited to have discovered the Nosy Crow Fairy Tales series. Their fairy tale books (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and The Three Little Pigs), all captivatingly illustrated by Ed Bryan, are extremely successful adaptations.

Because my kids have autism, I'm always straining to avoid fairy tale books that twist the story. My kids still need to learn the foundational narratives—and I say need for a reason.

Fairy tales are critical literary building blocks. They are woven into the fabric of our culture and teaching them, in their classic form, to young children with autism is a important way to help them decode the world around them. Twisted fairy tales are fun, and there are many good picture books in that genre, but my kids aren't ready for them yet.

Nosy Crow's series is a big help for kids with language and social delays who need access to an accessible, straight telling. They more or less keep to the original story, adding only subtle contemporary updates that make the story more familiar to little kids or more in keeping with updated values. In The Three Little Pigs, one of the pig brothers is re-cast as a sister, for instance—and no one is eaten or cooked.

This book is also perfect for working on the ordinal words first, second, and third. As is traditional, the little pigs are nameless and we refer to them only by their ordinal number ("The First Little Pig," etc.). The repetitive structure of the book also gives us lots of opportunities with this. Also, the conceptual relationship between the ordinals and numerals is brilliantly reinforced by the illustrations; the numerals 1, 2, and 3 are displayed on the straw, stick, and brick houses the little pigs each build. And the words for these numbers are shown in slightly larger typeface to highlight them as sight words.

We don't have The Three Little Pigs Nosy Crow app yet, but it (and all the other fairy tale apps by Nosy Crow) are most definitely on the holiday gift list. They look amazing!

I strongly believe in the reinforcing power of a screen to condition a reluctant child's interest in picture books. Many kids with autism who have trouble attending to books may first come to love picture books by watching TV shows, movies, or playing apps that are media tie-ins. This is definitely my plan for introducing fairy tales to my less interested son Luke!

---
I review books for children from the perspective of a parent of kids with autism. The review above is part of a longer post of 15 great counting books: http://www.lineupthebooks.com/countin...
Profile Image for Pi.
830 reviews15 followers
August 3, 2020
Zawsze lubiłam bajkę o trzech małych świnkach, więc sięgając po tę książeczkę wiedziałam, że będzie treściowo świetna. Byłam wielce ciekawa ilustracji i się raczej nie zawiodłam. Ed Bryan zdaje się instynktownie wyczuwa kreskę, która spodoba się najmłodszym. Może nie jestem tymi obrazkami oczarowana, ale całość prezentuje się bardzo ładnie i estetycznie.
Co do samej treści, którą uwielbiam: CZYTAJCIE! To cudowna opowieść o tym, że to co dobre w życiu wymaga ciężkiej pracy. Piękne przesłanie.
Profile Image for Cindy Petzoldt.
86 reviews
January 22, 2021
How many versions of this story are out there? Maybe a gazillion — but this is my favorite. Beautifully illustrated by Ed Bryan, this is a terrific way to introduce (or reintroduce) small children to the classic tale. Kids love huffing and puffing and banging on the door with the wolf, and they’re overjoyed to assist each pig in chanting “Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin” when said wolf attempts to gain entrance to their homes. Love it!
Profile Image for Marie.
1,247 reviews10 followers
July 18, 2020
Can't go wrong with the classic Three Little Pigs story! This version, illustrated by Ed Bryan, has the three little pigs defeating the wolf in a new-to-me and definitely humorous way. Had Joey and I giggling. :)
Profile Image for Elina Mäkitalo.
909 reviews13 followers
June 28, 2022
Kiva ja tuttu satu, lapsuudesta sekä työssä on tätä kuunneltu ja luettu. Pidin nytkin paljon.
Profile Image for Vicki.
4,492 reviews15 followers
February 21, 2017
Finally a nice simple version of this classic tale.

The illustrations are very colorful and fun.
Profile Image for Christine.
60 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2016
The illustrations for the book are amazing, but there was no adaptation, or personal style added to the story.
Profile Image for Heather Jo.
1,879 reviews9 followers
August 12, 2016
megan summer reading 2016, children's book, picture book, classic, fairy tale, three little pigs, prek, kindergarten, first grade, nosy crow,
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.