Start by marking “Twenty Questions for Gloria” as Want to Read:
Twenty Questions for Gloria

Twenty Questions for Gloria

It started with an appearance, not a disappearance.

Gloria is tired of her ordinary life. An unadventurous teenager, she barely remembers the free-spirited child she used to be. So when a mysterious new boy strolls into school, bent on breaking all the rules, Gloria is ready to fall under his spell.

Uman is funny, confident, and smart. He does what he wants without a care fo
Published April 12th 2016 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Questions for Gloria, please sign up.
IVeal I haven't read the book yet but according to lovelybooks.de they're 15 years old.

Sana
This is one of those books where I find myself wondering, "So what's the point?"

*Spoilers ahead* Maybe

Oh wait. That was all? Soooo, that was literally what I just read?

This was a book about a fifteen year old tired of her oh-so unadventurous life. So when she meets a boy who doesn't give two shits about anything, she goes off with him and realizes what it's like to live the life of adventure.

The whole book is literally about a stupid MC named Gloria who travels around and lives life with a boy
Bee
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis for 20 Questions for Gloria reads as a teenage version of Gone Girl: teenager goes missing, suddenly reappears, and in bits and pieces we discover what has happened to her on this journey.

But where Gone Girl was a psychological thriller, 20 Questions is a discovery into the teenage mind. Gloria is bored of being the teenager, of having to be unique whilst trying to fit in. Of doing the same thing day in and day out. Of having to finish school, get a degree, get married, buy a house
Cameron
Jun 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this a 1.5 star rating. I usually don't have a problem with girls with special snowflake syndrome but I really hated this one. Gloria was thoughtless and selfish for what she did to her parents, running off with a guy she barely knew. And she's 15. And this was horribly paced. I mean it went by at a snail's pace only for you to discover that this giant secret was not that great. Quite lame actually. So yeah, I did not enjoy this
Joy (joyous reads)
Gloria is a 15-year-old girl suffering from an early onslaught of ennui from life. Her parents didn’t seem to care one way or another about her. And though they would protest otherwise, their actions speak to the contrary. Some days, Gloria didn’t care. But lately, she’s been having a difficult time ignoring the resounding loneliness that echoed in the hallways of their home.

Then Uman showed up; a mysterious specimen of a boy. Tall, lanky, and handsome in an effeminate way. Intelligent with char
Gabby
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent this book by Walker Books after requesting it as an arc. I didn't have huge expectations for it, but decided to give it a try - and I'm so glad that I did!

The main characters were written so beautifully. Gloria is such a naive 15 year old who fell in love within a couple days. I loved being able to read her perspective on the story including her thoughts and life experiences. Uman is perceived as a kidnapper and manipulator by Gloria's mum and police interviewer, but Gloria sees him a
Teresa
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aimed at young readers aged 14 and over, this new novel from Martyn Bedford is less high-octane thriller and more a sensitively written, contemplative account of the trials and tribulations of teenage life.

Gloria is sick and tired of her mundane life, each day blending into the other but along comes Uman, this exotic creature whose clothes, vocabulary and general demeanour are unlike anything she’s experienced before. He’s a breath of fresh air, no, make that a hurricane and Gloria lets herself
Kirsty
I really enjoyed this book. It is told over the course of a series of interviews given by Gloria after a series of events. You know something had gone wrong but you're not quite sure what especially as Gloria strikes as a fairly unreliable narrator.

I was hooked from the get go wanting to know more. Parts of it reminded me of that tv show that was on recently called hunted where ordinary people when on the run with the goal of staying off the grid for as long as possible whilst a team of experts
G.L. Sheridan
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a simple story - yet it's not. Uman is a most engaging character and the past events of his life help to explain why he behaves as he does. The conversation during Gloria's interview sounds natural and realistic for a fifteen-year-old girl talking to adults, and is very different from the way she talks to Uman, which is what you would expect. As you read on, you can feel what's happening to her. Quite intense. It's very clever writing and draws you in. An excellent YA book which this old bi ...more
Chloe
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very disappointed with how this book ended. Would've given 5 stars if the ending was more wrapped up. I need a sequel! I need to know what happens next for Gloria!!
Coenraad
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since reading Flip, I've been a Martyn Bedford fan. I must still sit still for long enough to read his second Young Adult novel, but the third, Twenty questions for Gloria kept me busy over the last week or so.

Gloria Ellis (15) disappeared for a period of about 15 days with a school friend, Uman, a boy with a troubled past who came into the school shortly before the disappearance. Once she comes home, the police - represented by D.I. Katharine Ryan - interviews her thoroughly in the presenc
Aimee
I received a copy of Twenty Questions for Gloria from Walker Books Australia to review. I saw this was a psychological thriller and was really excited to read it. I love psychological thrillers.

But I’m not sure I’d call this a psychological thriller at all. The definition of a psychological thriller is “a thriller story which emphasizes the unstable psychological and emotional states of its characters.” So okay, yes Uman is a little damaged but I think that’s from what his father did. I’m not su
Rachel (Confessions of a Book Geek)
Check out the full review here:

I assumed this would be a YA suspense story or thriller, and while it does have suspenseful elements, I wasn't prepared for the beauty of the writing, or for Bedford's story-telling style. This was a solid YA suspense novel, with a little contemporary romance, and a dash of writing that at times seemed John Green-esque.

Gloria's story unfolds through her answering Police interview questions, which explains both the present day
Jewel
I don't really know how to rate this book.

It was sad and sweet and the ending was inevitable , but I wanted it to end differently.
All I can say is that the books Twenty Questions for Gloria is compared in the blurb are way off.

The Mara Dyer Trilogy is a fun , paranormal romance romp. This was most definitely not that.

Stolen by Lucy Christopher is a story about a girl who gets abducted in an airport terminal. There was no abductions or stockholm syndrome in this novel.

I read only the beginning
Trisha
Yes it's a gripping mystery, but it also hints at bittersweet nostalgia and sadness.

Lor, as narrative MC, has a clear and hopeful voice. Her wistfulness butts up against her pragmatism in all sorts of interesting ways.
Jayne  Downes
I enjoyed the start of the story with the mysterious new student Uman starting school and his arrogant way of dealing with teachers who tried to control him. The story about two teenage runaways held my interest.
Luigi Nunziante
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here my Review/Qui la mia recensione:

Here the Interview to the author:

Nicole Perry
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit
The book has a good premise and a lot of potential. By the second half I felt like it was just dragging on without very much excitement. I would have like a little more mystery or thrill.
Stargazer
Apr 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenagers
I was really engaged at the start, but lost interest and by the end was totally 'meh'.
Peaches
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
***Spoilers Included***
Uman didn't make me do what I did. He made me realize I wanted to do it" (84).
The premise of this book made me think it would be a thriller, but it's just a pseudo romance about an insecure girl who wants to be cooler than she is and a boy who suffers from overt mental illness that is left untreated; consequently, they run away together and basically lament about how they have no food and are waiting for the other to give up (and they steal some stuff). In the present, Gl
Selan
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage
I liked the premise of this book at first. Gloria is a teenager who has been missing for over two weeks, and the story starts out with the detectives interviewing her to uncover the whole story. It's a psychological thriller like that.

The focus of the mystery is on Uman, the mysterious boy who turns up at school one day and whom she eventually ends up falling for. It's a slow, subtle thing, but the two of them end up running away together. And it spirals out of control, they start running out o
Kim
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book is such a letdown. I thought it'd be a good book based on the sypnosis from the back but ugh, disappointments all over.

Common plot: girl meets boy in a school setting.
Common characters: goody-goody, extraordinarily ordinary Gloria Jade Ellis, the even-more-ordinary-except-for-her-name bestfriend Tierney, the new-in-town, mysterious, out of the usual, smart-aleck Uman Padeem, and of course, the oblivious parents or in Uman's case, grandparent.
And the twist? There is no twist.

Okay, the
Hell
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enough read to keep me traipsing through, though not one that I was super eager to continue reading.
There isn't as much of a mystery in the story as I initially thought there would be and in a way that feels kind of disappointing, I went in expecting some kind of adventure full of twists and things to throw me off.
What I got was a decent enough book, but definitely not what I expected and not what I would have picked up had I known fully what it was truly about from the get go.
Gloria was
Hannah Pike
'We are the sum of our choices'

Overall I'd give this book 3.5 stars.

Good:

Structre of the story is good,  I like the interview layout and the way the chapters are different questions based on the interview.
Well-rounded character personalities.
The conversations between everyone

Bad:
A bit slow to start with,  takes a few chapters before it really kicks in.
Even when it did kick in it was slow majority of the time.
Some of the character's decisions that they made were stereotypical.

The Characters:

Uman:
Shrishti
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not gonna lie... the beginning of the book got me so hyped up for... nothing.
Although this book is amazingly written with excellent character development and plot, I didn't enjoy the ending - it felt rushed and didn't fit in with the rest of the story. Also, there are still many things left unexplained and I want there to be MORE.

Furthermore, there were quite a lot of uninteresting moments and I wanted the relationships between people to be explored more. (eg. I really want to know why she disl
Marianne Robin-Tani
The way this book was written kept my interest throughout. We learn that something bad happens right away but the suspense of what it was is kept high until the end. The back and forth between the two timeframes: Gloria being questioned about the incidents, and then her retelling or remembering the stories is well done. All the different viewpoints--Gloria's, the police, her parents--seemed consistent with each person's age, involvement and how they were impacted by the events . And I really lik ...more
Faith-Ella
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, in one word, great. I loved it. It kept me intrigued, I kept finding ways of reading a chapter at the earliest moment because I was just so capivated by what was happening. Of course I have a few reservations about the ending and the question marks it leaves,but it wouldn't really be a mystery novel if every question was answered would it? I thoroughly enjoyed this and most definitely recommend.
Janice
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zoe
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was very interesting and very moving.
Shanya Gonzaga
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'You liked that--his recklessness?' Did I? I suppose I must have. It was exciting, in a way, witnessing his disregard for the rules of conventional behavior. A vicarious thrill."
Eva Pimentel
Reminded me of the Elizabeth Smart story in Salt Lake City, but this girl did everything by her own free will.
I looooved the unexpected ending, gave me goosebumps.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • For Holly
  • Cuckoo
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Running Girl (Garvie Smith Mystery, #1)
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • Red Ink
  • Red
  • Slay
  • Boys for Beginners
  • Cracks
  • Game Theory
  • Killing Honour
  • Goldfish (Girl out of Water, #1)
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • My Heart Goes Bang
  • Air (Blue #2)
“Ed è allora che noto una cartolina, seminascosta fra due cose da buttare.
La tiro fuori.
La fotografia sul davanti mostra una gola dalle pareti a picco con un sentiero angusto che si snoda sul versante roccioso e molto, molto più in basso, il nastro bianco di un fiume. Nella striscia di cielo azzurro e terso sopra la foto la didascalia recita: El Caminito del Rey, Andalusia.
La mano mi trema talmente che quando giro la cartolina rischio di farla cadere.
Ho visto la sua scrittura una volta soltanto, sui foglietti dei «posti felici» che mi aveva mostrato dopo che avevamo estratto «Bryher», ma la riconoscerei ovunque.
Tre parole. Una sottolineatura. E un punto di domanda.
Vorresti essere qui?”
4 likes
“«Uman…» ho cominciato.
E in quel momento, lui si è girato verso di me e mi ha detto: «Perché sei ancora qui?»

«Voleva che tu te ne andassi?» mi chiede l’ispettore Ryan.
Scuoto la testa. «No. Non capiva perché non lo avessi lasciato»”
3 likes