Start by marking “Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide” as Want to Read:
Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide

Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide

Shamanic journeying is the inner art of traveling to the invisible worlds beyond ordinary reality to retrieve information for change in every area of our lives from spirituality and health to work and relationships.

With Shamanic Journeying, readers join world-renowned teacher Sandra Ingerman to learn the core teachings of this ancient practice and apply these skills in
Published 2004 by Sounds True (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Shamanic Journeying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shamanic Journeying

Start your review of Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide
Kevin Orth
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, brief introduction. If you are looking for an excellent, light, short introduction this is a fantastic place to start. If you are looking for a deep dive into shamanic journeying I suggest starting here then looking for another resources for more information. Highly recommend for people without a substantial base of knowledge and understanding.
Shanti Bringas
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple easy read....great introduction into shamanic journeying just like the title suggests....I do recommend to those who are interested on this topic
Susan Marie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent introduction when one is and even when one is not familiar with the three worlds, journeying and shamanism. It is extremely basic to me only due to consistent research, study, practice and experimentation with great success in various areas of shamanism. This is a volume for one to understand mentally what they are accessing spirituality. It puts everything into perspective. I suggest this book for anyone progressing spiritually in this specific direction. Make sure you ...more
Joshua Allerton
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-religion
A great introductory text to shamanic journeying. Ingerman writes in a straight forward way that is easy to understand and interpret. However, failing to meet the 5 stars is due to the occasional repetition and because of the missing "further reading" which is often expected of such texts.
Quinn
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tome is meant to serve as an introduction into Shamanic Journeying. In doing so, the author provides both historical context for journeying, reasons why one might want to journey, and ways to journey.

Pros:
- Short and to the point; the book is only about an hour long, and that includes a 10-minute drum session at the end of the book
- The book does what it sets out to do, in my opinion

Cons:
- I approached this book with skepticism, especially with regards to the author's stated benefits
Daizy Daigle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy Read

This book was very easy to read and understand. Sandra goes through all of the basics of journeying in a way that anyone can understand. I found her explanations of each world easy to understand as she tells about what is best to seek there and what each world is meant to achieve. She's gives lots of ideas in the end of other Journeys you can take after practicing the basic ones she helps to lead you through. This will be very helpful for my own practice as well as my practice as a
Chris Hyde
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a short and simple book that explains the basic practice of doing a shamanic journey. As a newbie to this topic, I felt this book answered so many questions and was extremely practical. I've now begun to put these steps into practice and can't wait to see where this path leads. I recommend this book to anyone who is beginning to explore shamanism.
Kristi
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, basic introduction to the practice of shamanic journeying. However, the Kindle edition did not include access to the recordings which were frequently referenced and the price of the ebook did not reflect that a large part of the standard print edition (comes with a CD) would be missing.
Joana Ponder
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really quick informative read that also includes instructions on how to take your first journeys. Did my first one this morning. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in learning about shamanic journey. But you’ll need another book to really go in depth about it all. This more like an instruction manual.
Serena Britton
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book

If you have been journeying for a while and wonder why the facilitator of the group does what he does then this is a good insight into the disciplines of journeying. I really enjoyed this book. It helped confirm what I already knew and clarify what I didn't. A positive read and encouraging read for all who are interested in the journey.
Ayralynne
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I enjoyed reading this book and feel it is a great resource for those who are just starting out with Shamanic Journeys. Really useful tool and great getting started points. I would recommend
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shamanism
This book includes a CD with several Shamanic journeys on it to help you settle in. I enjoyed the detailed explanations of how to journey. It is a great start if you are beginning your study on Shamanic Journeying!
Iamme_Soryu
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking to learn shamanic journeying this is an excellent introduction book.
Cora Robles
I feel like this was a great introductory book. It has me looking forward to practicing journeying and feeling well prepared.
Morgan Bradham
Wonderful introductory text to the shamanic arts.
Heather Costello
Easy to read and interesting. It could be more detailed, but a nice introduction. I like the drumming that comes with the book.
Sara
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Quick little primer on shamanic journeying, a spiritual practice of travelling to non-ordinary reality.
Carmela
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that gets you started. She covers the basics concisely.
Tom
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
clear, concise, perfect way to start Journeying.
Natasha
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very clearly written introduction to shamanic journeying. The CD is useful as well. It is a very easily read book filled with information to guide you in beginning your own practice and provides a list of different journeys that you can take if you are stuck. The author provides answers to all common questions and I found this book very straightforward. I am a very beginner in this practice, and this is the first book I have read.
Cary Kostka
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great way to learn about shamanic journeying, although I think she cut a few corners in writing this to keep the book short and to the point. The accompanying CD was so-so; I will be using my own music as I found myself too focused on the drum beats and not on the road.

The best part of the book was her descriptions of what areas you will be visiting; I found this section to be the most concisely, fluid portion of the book.
Krys Mcintyre
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems premature to rate or review this book before attempting to put it into practice. However, the CD was missing from the library copy I borrowed, so my first journey will have to wait.
This book is a concise introduction to journeying. It covers how to journey, what to expect, some information about shamanism, both historic and modern, and offers a lengthy list of questions to journey on.
Chelsea
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth Purchasing.

Interesting read if you want to learn about Ancient and Modern Shamanistic Practices through Journeying. Obviously the topic can be controversial however the author tries to explain major differences. Best for beginners learning about what Shamans do and how they do it. Gives great insight on questions to ask.
Jerry Bonds
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great starting point.

It's thought provoking and reliable. One of the few books that I agreed much on. It could go into deeper detail on meditation but it was not a primer on meditation so it gets a five. Great read.
Linda T.
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anyone wants to understand what Shamanism is about, this book will provide a good basis. It comes with a CD for Journeying, which is the essential part of the process. It sounds like I am trying to sell it! I am passionate about the process bc it has made a profound difference in my own life.
Amy
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice little gem and the second time reading it. My daughter recommended it and I am glad she did. The author does an excellent job explaining the journey. I now plan to listen to the CD and explore.
Gerry Starnes
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for those new to the practice. Sandra is a wonderful leader and teacher in the shamanic spiritual tradition. The book includes a drumming CD, so buy it new or check to see if it is there if you purchase it used.
Josie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good, short, intro to Shamanic Journeying.

There is a cd included with my book that has 3 different drumming rhythms' that are meant to assist you in taking/experiencing your own first Journey.

All in all, a good book.
Matthew Williams
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really easy read, and to the point. A nice introduction for anyone interested in the subject matter.
Asud
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so helpful thank you so much

• The Way of the Shaman
  • Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • Ancestral Medicine: Rituals for Personal and Family Healing
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress
  • Running on Empty: Overcome Your Childhood Emotional Neglect
  • Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success
  • The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Archangels and Ascended Masters: A Guide to Working and Healing with Divinities and Deities
  • Power Thoughts
  • Spiritual Connections: How to Find Spirituality Throughout All the Relationships in Your Life
  • How to Love Yourself
  • Past Lives, Future Healing
Sandra Ingerman, MA, is the author of 8 books, 7 CD programs and the creator of Transmutation App. She is a world renowned teacher of shamanism and has been teaching for over 30 years.

She teaches workshops internationally on shamanic journeying, healing, and reversing environmental pollution using spiritual methods. She has trained and founded an international alliance of Medicine for the Earth