Start by marking “Sketching Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Journey” as Want to Read:
Sketching Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Journey

Sketching Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Journey

The morning after the Netherfield Ball, Fitzwilliam Darcy is ready to leave Hertfordshire, taking his friend Bingley away from the lady of his choice and distancing himself from her sister, who has disturbed his tranquility for weeks.

The path, meant to lead him away, unexpectedly brings him close to the person he most wants to avoid, and saving Miss Elizabeth Bennet’s lif
Published July 17th 2015 by Lory Lilian

To ask other readers questions about Sketching Mr. Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sketching Mr. Darcy

Sheila Majczan
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1/6/18: I just finished reading this story again. I won a paperback copy as the grand prize in the raffle drawing for the blog tour of The Darcy Monologues. I didn't remember all the angst and truly found this to again be worthy of the 5 star rating. Even as a FMS it has its slant on how that came about. Well done: MA rating.

Marvelous: one of the best JAFF stories I have read. It brought me to tears over and over again and at times, even sobs.

I seem to have read many stories lately with compromi
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
A Most Splendid and Compelling Forced Marriage Situation!

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation, Mature Audiences

TIME FRAME: The day after the Netherfield Ball and about 2 months later

MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy, Georgiana Darcy, Mr. Wickham, Lady Catherine, James Darcy, Lady Stafford, Colonel Fitzwilliam, Mr. Bennet, Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:

I’ve read and loved every published work by Lory Lilian
Pride and Prejudice variation + force
Talia
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I read an Amazon review that didn't like Darcy's previous relationship. I am pleased to say that it was written very well and in no way diminished the love story between E and D. I thought it was definitely up to par with the author's other books so if you love her other books you will more than likely love this one. I can already see myself rereading this one again and again.

Edit: So I read this again. I am glad that I loved it so much the first time because when I went to pick it
Leslie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a unique, drama filled, fast paced P&P what if. I'd say 95% of the book takes place over a period of 6 weeks. And what a crazy 6 weeks they are.
The Story begins in Brighton in 1801 when Lizzy is 10, Jane 12 and The Gardiners newly married. Lizzy and her puppy meet Mrs. Darcy and Georgiana. When Lizzy and her puppy almost drown they are rescued by a mystery man...
We next meet Lizzy the day after the Netherfield Ball, immediately following Mr. Collins proposal. She and her dog, Lucky,
Mary
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could wax lyrical about the merits of this book-how I was simply swept away from first page to last, how I was completely enthralled by the love story that is Elizabeth and Darcy,how I stayed up late just to find out what would happen next, how I went into work bleary eyed but happy as I drew ever closer to the happy conclusion that eagerly awaited me............Yes,I could wax lyrical, but I won't !!
Suffice it to say that I highly recommend this fantastic 'choccy bikky- hot cuppa-ensconced i
Gail Frisby
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Liked the story, love it when there is an epilogue. Always at least like to know about children. Will read again.
Barbara
This Pride and Prejudice variation starts out so well that I decided early on to give it a chance to recover from its early problems, and then I kept reviewing that decision, right up to the point where it seemed that I was so far into it I might as well finish. I wound up regretting that. It does have its strengths, but the flaws far outweigh them, I'm afraid, and it had so much potential in the beginning that I find that sad. The book needed extensive editing before publication, in order to fu ...more
Sophia
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this variation that asked the question what if Mr. Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet were forced to marry after an innocent incident threatened to ruin their reputations. I've read this author's books before and was eager to try this one. I enjoyed how her timing as to the development of character and romance, attention to historical detail and characters as well as a lively plot made this forced marriage trope work well.

The story opens with Elizabeth Bennet out for a walk to clear her head
Nicole Barton Sasser
2.5 Stars

The idea was good, but I found it hard to truly enjoy due to the writing being stiff and forced throughout most of the story. I have loved other works by this author and was surprisingly disappointed when viewed in comparison.
Ceri
This review was first posted on Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

‘Sketching Mr Darcy’ is a ‘Pride & Prejudice’ variation looking based on a forced marriage scenario. Here, Elizabeth manages to injure herself while out walking, setting out after refusing the unpalatable Mr Colllins’ proposal. Darcy is due to leave Netherfield that day, but decides to go for a ride while waiting for Bingley to be ready to leave, as he needs to keep busy to keep thoughts of a cer
Jenny
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, 2019-read
I'm re-reading some of my favourites this year so Sketching Mr Darcy was one of the first I chose. We start soon after the Netherfield Ball and a compromising situation results in an almost forced marriage scenario... I say almost because Elizabeth seems unconcerned about London gossip but Darcy sees this as an ideal opportunity to marry the woman he loves without having to own his feelings.

What follows is a relatively short period of time that mainly follows Elizabeth and Darcy as they come to
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
3.5 Stars

For me this alternative journey didn't really grab me until half way through the book. I found the writing style more narrative than anything else and at times the conversations were stilted. I did enjoy the prologue where Elizabeth and Jane as young girls meet Lady Anne Darcy and Georgiana. The rescue at the end of the prologue does give you a sense of where this story is leading.

As the book description indicates, Elizabeth and Darcy are forced into marriage after rumours and lies are
Charlene
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have to say I'm a fan of Ms Lillian and this book did not disappoint this reader. In this alternative Bingle and Darcy are delayed leaving Netherfield and so while Darcy is out riding he comes upon Elizabeth right after she's had a little accident. The noble man that he is, he rescues her. Well this starts the book down the path to a supposed comprimised. What I like was that their characters are real with flaws and all that comes with it. We hear Darcy's back story and see his and Elizabeth's i ...more
EM Clark
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite author of P&P variations!

This is the second book I have read now by Ms. Lillian, and I am so excited to read more. Her stories have depth, emotion, well developed characters and such pleasing endings..not to mention perfectly delightful lovemaking! Ha! Too good to be flippantly labeled 'romance novels', as they are only that genre in basics, in every other aspect they are truly wonderful writing!
Megan
Boring! 50 pages from the end and I couldn't bring myself to read one more pointless sentence. If you are looking for a true Darcy and Elizabeth you won't find it here. No plot, just endless days of Darcy and Elizabeth in the same house without interacting much.
Rita Deodato
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had wondered why I never read a book where Mr. Darcy would find out about Elizabeth’s refusal of Mr. Collins’ offer right after it occurred. It was always something I thought I would enjoy reading about.
Lory Lilian finally made it real! It wasn’t what I expected or imagined because the consequences of such information were practically inexistent, but still, this was an excellent beginning and kept me interested in the book.

What if Mr. Darcy encountered Lizzie on the day of his departure from
Elin Eriksen
Pride and Prejudice variation

This is an excellent example of how a "forced marriage scenario" can be written. I absolutely loved it!

In this variation, ODC meet as children, pre canon and an event happen that will have influence, later in the story.
We enter canon at Mr Collins proposal. Elizabeth went for a walk afterwards and had an accident. Darcy turned up as the knight in shining armour but as no good deed goes unpunished, they are soon the victims of malicious roumers, leading to their ma
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
Can Elizabeth faithfully sketch Mr. Darcy’s true character after an accident forces them into a marriage of “convenience?”

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

When I started reading JAFF last year, one of the very first authors that I was fortunate to discover was Lory Lilian. After enjoying nearly all of her books, I was looking forward to reading her latest novel, “Sketching Mr. Darcy.” It’s my pleasure to say that this latest book will not disappoint her fans! Here, Ms. Lilian once again delivers for us
Brittany
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This is another variation that sees Elizabeth and Darcy married very early on, as they feel compromised due to some rumors in London about Mr. Darcy saving her life (and by doing that, he obviously compromised her...). The premise of this book, although not very inventive as I have read quite a few compromising Elizabeth book lately, is still given five stars because I find it different.

Why I love this version: It has a darling sub story where Elizabeth actually meets Georgiana and Lady Anne
Maria Thomas
I'm a bit conflicted about this book. Initially I liked the writing style and the premise was interesting. Great potential for a good story. But I started to feel like the story dragged. It seemed like a long time had passed and it had really just been a day. I liked the early part of the book much better than the latter. I liked that Darcy and Elizabeth were both committed to making their marriage work and didn't try to take the easy way out by ignoring each other or Lizzy leaving and going to ...more
Jessica
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: p-p-variances
Although I liked this book and some of the unique differences between it and some other P&P variances, I feel like it dragged on for too long. The book could easily have been 2/3 its length if the characters would have only just spoke to each other instead of "too much distressing topics today, I'll tell you about it tomorrow" kind of conversations which then of course caused unnecessary drama due to poor communication. The book would have been fine and could easily have stood out on its own ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
The story dragged on for too long. Too much of the story takes place in the first week of D&E’s marriage and it felt like it had been going on for months instead.

The many plot lines didn’t weave together very well. I found myself ticking them all off one by one as they were each resolved.

The jealous other woman trope was silly. The character was built up as this huge trouble maker, but her part of the story just sort of fizzled out.

I did not like the complete 180 Darcy took in the middle
Madenna U
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The concept of this variation had the couple together early and then learn to love each other. I liked Elizabeth's strong character and the bit of mystery in this book.
T
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

The start of the story is brilliant. I initially thought this would be a 4 or 5 book. It’s a shame that the Brighton plot wasn’t given a better part in the novel, because it becomes lost amongst the drama and I actually rolled my eyes at Elizabeth’s reaction to the truth. The author definitely has talent. There are some great scenes and good writing. However she gets carried away by drama. There are far too many crazy plot lines for one novel so that it all becomes a bit farcical. They should
Elle Wagner
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a long one! A fun forced-to-marry variation. The ending was pretty dramatic and I’m not sure it was necessary for the book to be enjoyable. It was well-written and I generally enjoyed the growing love between Darcy and Elizabeth. I thought their feelings seemed true to their characters.

There are some fairly explicit scenes of their married life, which I enjoyed, but I realize not all JA fans appreciate. It is all post-marriage, which I prefer as I’m not a big fan of such scenes during
Irene
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one of those times when I wish I could give half stars because for me it's a 3.5 stars reading.

I enjoyed it as a whole, in fact, I read it from start to finish and I found myself eagerly reading through some parts. The ending was especially moving and satisfying.

Those parts I give 4 stars. They were sweet, romantic, soothing, paced right and engaging.

However, I found some other parts repetitive and dragged for too long. The middle build especially keeps repeating the same kind of complic
Jennifer Feltz Milkowski
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing. I truly enjoyed it. I cant given this review without giving spoiler, so all I have to say is read it. There is angst, there is betrayal. This book had everything I wanted in a romance. I have to say I did love Elizabeth giving one woman a great talking down to, but man did she deserve it. I also couldn't believe who the "who done it" was, but they, he, she, it, got the their just desserts.

Great read.
Jean Stillman
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this writer. Her work is entertaining, well written, and with great plots. This tale has a great plot, lots of suspense, and quite a bit of angst. There are some very passionate scenes, so not for young readers. I loved it!
Shauna
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit too mushy

More like 3 and a half stars, but it's an interesting way to have the couple initially end up together, and it makes sense too. Elizabeth was smart but not as funny or gutsy as I like. Mr. Darcy, though, was spot on.
Tracey Brown
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only problem with these books is they end and I have read all her books she needs to write some more.
If you like austen variations then this author is definitely one you should try. I have loved everyone of her books.

• Haunting Mr. Darcy - A Spirited Courtship
  • Memory: Volume 1, Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • The Falmouth Connection
  • These Dreams: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • When They Fall in Love: Darcy and Elizabeth in Italy
  • The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Companion of His Future Life
“What do you mean a better man, Lizzy? He has a satisfactory income and good connections. He is kind and seems to have good intentions. What could be better than that? And why should I hope for a ‘better’ one? What do I have to tempt a better man? No dowry, no connections… And to be honest—though you are younger and more beautiful and witty and charming than me—what else do you, Lizzy, have to offer a man in your hopes to attract a better one? Why such arrogant hopes?” 0 likes
“Lizzy, you are lovely and have a sharp mind that has always impressed me and made me admire you. But you are also a hasty judge of people’s characters—and a little vain. Only consider your opinion of Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham. You like Mr. Wickham, but for what positive reasons? Do you know him to be generous, kind, loyal? Or do you declare him to be your friend only because he has a handsome appearance, pleasant manners, and favoured you from the beginning? On the other hand, Mr. Darcy refused to dance with you, and I know your vanity was hurt by his rejection, though you did not admit it. Consequently, you declared him as possessing the worst qualities and retaliated by being rude to him. What if Mr. Darcy had danced with you that first night at the Meryton assembly and declared his admiration for you? Would you have been so disposed to disapprove of him?” 0 likes