Start by marking “The Seventh Bride” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Bride

The Seventh Bride

Young Rhea is a miller’s daughter of low birth, so she is understandably surprised when a mysterious nobleman, Lord Crevan, shows up on her doorstep and proposes marriage. Since commoners don’t turn down lords—no matter how sinister they may seem—Rhea is forced to agree to the engagement.

Lord Crevan demands that Rhea visit his remote manor before their wedding. Upon arriva

Published November 24th 2015 by 47North (first published November 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Bride, please sign up.
H.N. Morales Absolutely no. This is a dark and twisted tale with no love, maybe a little camraderie, and a house full of murderous wives bent on revenge.
Majel I actually think it is YA. The writing style is YA, with a very young-sounding narration voice. The content is appropriate for YA, no gruesome murders…moreI actually think it is YA. The writing style is YA, with a very young-sounding narration voice. The content is appropriate for YA, no gruesome murders or violence, though magic is used to harm other people (trying not to give away anything). (less)

Start your review of The Seventh Bride
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Bluebeard:

description

Not a fairytale I was very familiar with, but I knew the basics: wealthy, lord(-like) guy marries a pretty, young thing and takes her home. He immediately has to leave (b/c reasons). She has freedom to explore the many rooms of her new residence, but she is expressly forbidden to enter ONE of them. Curiosity overwhelms her, and she finds a way into the room, where she discovers . . . the bodies of all his previous wives.

EEP.

THE SEVENTH BRIDE is an interesti
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Rhea is the fifteen year old daughter of the town miller. She is a feisty young thing. Taking out evil swans when they eat her lunch and keeping the gremlins out of the flour. Those Gremlins cause some problems when bits and pieces of them end up in the flour.
Palm Springs commercial photography

She is happy and has pretty decent parents so she is disappointed when she finds out that she has been spoken for by a nobleman. Peasants pretty much can't tell a noble no so she knows she is pretty much stuck with the guy.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Marriage
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review first posted on www.FantasyLiterature.com:

One of the less well-known folk tales, Bluebeard, the tale of the aristocrat who has married several wives who have ominously disappeared, is dusted off and adapted by T. Kingfisher in The Seventh Bride, a middle grade/young adult fantasy. (Note: Kingfisher is a pen name for Ursula Vernon, the Nebula award-winning author of Jackalope Wives who I'm a fangirl of.) Rhea, a fifteen year old miller’s daughter, is unhappily and unwillingly engaged to Lo
carol.
T. Kingfisher stories have a kind of magic for me. They seem to be exactly what I need to read at that point in time.

The Seventh Bride is the tale of a fifteen-year-old girl who gets betrothed to a noble, much to her dismay. When she is finally required to go to his house, she meets three other women who are somewhat reluctant to share their stories. It doesn't take long before the girl makes up her mind that this is not a place she wants to stay.

Mind you; this isn't entirely a feminist tale. Or
Lois Bujold
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy-horror readers
Being a retelling of Bluebeard, much more horror, much less romance this time around, if just as well written and inventive. The latter is my jam but the former is not, which is why this ended up last in my binge read, in the spirit of complete-ism or maybe scraping out the peanut butter jar. Now I believe I must wait for her to write more, if she is so moved.

(No, wait, haven't read Jackalope Wives yet. So I do have something saved for a rainy day, good.)

Ta, L.
Althea Ann
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially passed this book up on NetGalley when I saw it. The cover with the girl standing in front of the clock just didn't appeal to me. (I mean, yes, that scene does happen in the book, so I can't complain - but it didn't call out to me.) However, after reading several glowing reviews of the book, and seeing THIS cover (with the bird skull) - which is a work of beauty on its own - I had to go back and grab it.

And boy am I glad that I did! This book is GREAT!

It's an original fairytale, in th
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Bluebeard's Castle is one of my favorite fairy tales because it's so dark, and has so many possibilities when it comes to retellings. When I saw THE SEVENTH BRIDE pop up for sale on Kindle, I snagged it the instant I recognized it for what it was without even reading the reviews for it. That's a big risk, I know, and sometimes it comes back to bite me in the rear, but in this particular instance, THE SEVENTH BRIDE was totally worth it.

TH
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I ended up enjoying this book a lot. It had so much going for it and I loved the fairy tale quality that I found throughout the novel. I will admit that I was first drawn to this book simply because of the cover. Isn't the cover artwork great? After reading the description, I decided to go ahead and give this one a try and ended up being completely captivated by the story. As good as the cover artwork is, the story is even better.

I have heard
Mara YA Mood Reader
DNF around 40%. I listened to this on audible. It was my first time with an audio book and I’m definitely not going to pursue anymore. I found that I just do not like other reading styles than the own voice in my head. And I did not at all enjoy the reader’s voice and style on the audible version.

The person reading the story made the main character, who is 15 and being married off, sound like a whiny little 12 year old girl. So it changed my perception of the entire story. Everything came out s
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

First, Cover Love.

The concept is an intriguing take on Bluebeard and his wives trope. A beautiful woman (15 yr old girl in this case) forced into marriage gets to see the horrors that await her when she explores his home, meets surviving wives and discovers some of them are dead. Sign me up for a unique story such as that – unfortunately, despite the allure drawing me, I struggled ma
Eilonwy

I loved this! It was a little more frightening than I expected, but it was more sad horror than really gruesome, and Rhea's pragmatic outlook made up for the scariness. Still, I'm glad I didn't read this when I was a kid or a teen -- I wouldn't have slept for weeks. As an adult, it bothered me less, and the humorous touches went a long way in making the story bearable.

Romance-haters, this is the book for you! There's not a bit of romance anywhere in the whole story.

Real review to come tomorrow
Kristie
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good little book. I received this as a 'Read Now' through NetGalley. I have to admit that I hesitating before clicking on it. I thought it was going to be too young or too fantasy (I know that sounds weird, but sometimes things get too fantastical and they lose me). For some reason, I kept coming back to it and figured, it's less than 200 pages, I might as well give it a go. I'm so glad I did.

This is the story of a fifteen year old miller's daughter that is proposed to b
Kira Simion
A magic hedgehog? That's new...
A retelling of Bluebeard? Yay to both!

Pros:

•The magical hedgehog! I swear the moment the main character met the hedgehog, I felt like this retelling also included a little of Alice in Wonderland.

•Magic. The interesting ways that magic held a place in this story was intriguing.

Cons:

•When the main character is told she has to marry a noble, her reaction is understandable, her relatives' are not. They let her go walk a path that could be dangerous alone to a guy who i
Susana

Another day, another retelling. This one vaguely based on the Bluebeard tale...
It has a miller's daughter as the main character and a resourceful hedgehog as the cute sidekick.

Thing is, despite my attempt at lightness, this story couldn't be further away from it.

The writing may feel a little too plain at times _ for which reason I took a star from the final rating _ and the character may feel a little too young, but once again _ read my review of Bryony and Roses _ I feel that this book sho
Scott  Hitchcock
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Part fairy tale part fantasy this book grew on me as it went along. I'd highly recommend it for parents looking for a good read for their teens as I often am. It is a little dark for a YA title but there's nothing macabre or sexual.

Nicky
I actually bought this initially, but the Netgalley page said something about it being an updated version, so I went for it. I originally picked it up for the promise of a heroic little hedgehog, and I was very happy with that aspect — the hedgehog is brave, helpful, clever, and funny. It can’t speak, so it communicates with the protagonist via miming and yes/no answers. It sounded so cute. I want one!

The story itself, aside from the hedgehogs, is a nice reimagining of a Bluebeard fairytale — bu
TheBookSmugglers
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of amazing.
Emily
I LOVED this. I remember finding it on a Goodreads friend's list while wandering around, and I was surprised by how many reviews it had from top reviewers. I am happy to confirm that all of those good reviews are well-deserved: this is a funny but wholly creepy fairy tale reimagining that I devoured in less than a day, and it deserves more readers than it has. The good news is that T. Kingfisher (great pen name by the way) has several more of these. I am going to eat them all up.

The fairy tale r
Emma
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
“when your future husband is a mad sorcerer, following a hedgehog sometimes seems like a good option.”

Not *quite* as good as her more recent stuff but still very good.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
On Netgalley? Now you can request T.Kingsfishers excellent subverted fairytale "The Seventh Bride"

Its in the "Read now" category :)

Rhea the millers daughter is if not happy with her life at least content. Even if she has to fish out the occassional mangled gremlin or the ongoing feud she has with a sandwich stealing swan. But her predictable life changed whenher parents tell her that a certain Lord Crevan wants to marry her and seem to think this is great news.

Rhea knew she would be getting ma
Veronique
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
"It is somehow easier to face things when one is not alone. Courage still does most of the heavy lifting, but Pride gets its shoulder in there, too, just to keep you from embarrassing yourself in front of the other person...or hedgehog, as the case may be.”

Kingfisher is proving to be one of my favourite authors. Everything she writes seems to be to my taste - as is indeed this version of the Bluebeard fairytale. You’d think the focus would be on the man himself, and you would be wrong. The narra
Lisa Wolf
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable fairy tale, with a wonderful lead character, clever plot twists, and a particularly special hedgehog! I listened to the audiobook, and had a great time with it.
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a most refreshing read - a creepy, sparse retelling of Bluebeard that is neither lurid nor sexualized, but fits the story as smoothly as flesh and skin fit over bone. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to The Seventh Bride, but I gulped it down in a couple of hours and wanted more.

15-year-old Rhea, the miller's daughter, has been made an offer that she (or more accurately, her family) can't afford to refuse: marriage to Lord Crevan, a mysterious widower whom no one seems t
debbicat
What a fun read! I got this from Netgalley as a read now. It is an entertaining and quick story full of fanciful characters, one of which is a cute little hedgehog. I doubt I would have liked the story as much if there had been no hedgehog. He adds a lot to it for me. But, I did enjoy the tale very much of Rhea and the wives she is forced to live with. As a 15 year old Rhea is not yet ready for marriage of a true love nature; much less to an older man perhaps even as old as her father, who has u ...more
Luucy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
**I received the e-book from Netgalley in exchange of my honest review**

It was great! :D
It was really creepy and it had a lot of magic, it was fantastic how T. narrates all the scary scenes! :)
The thing I loved the most about this book is that no matter how bad or dangerous the things were Rhea always had a sarcastic or funny comment to do and it made the book a lot better in my opinion <3
The only thing that I didn't enjoy too much was the ending, I think it could have been a lot more that what
K.J. Charles
A rather lovely, rather odd fairytale, taking a sort of Bluebeard/Mr Fox set up and turning it into a fantastic feminist fantasy excursion, as the sorceror's wives rally round his newest target. Rhea is 15 and no victim, with a lovely narrative voice and a hedgehog familiar. Lightly written over some rather dark and occasionally horrific matter, very fluent, highly readable, a very enjoyable diversion.
Lauren James
[Gifted]

This was so darkly creeping and intriguing. Magic, a terrifying villain and a loveable protagonist. I'm not sure what age this is aimed at - it can be quite simple, but also seems a bit scary for MG age. Maybe it's like Coraline, that scares adults more than it does kids? Either way, I enjoyed it.
Jen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Buddy reads with Tadiana and Jessica. Tadiana's idea and it was a great one! I love fairy tales and retellings. This is a retelling based on the "Bluebeard" fairy tale.

The main character is realistic in that she is a scared 15 year old, but she is determined to do the best she can to try to survive and, failing that, sacrifice herself to save her family. Her family isn't dysfunctional. They are loving and imperfect, but real and try to do the best they can for each other.

The setting is a magica
Olga Godim
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Recently, I read another novella by this writer, Bryony and Roses , and loved it. My 4.5-star review is here. I didn’t like this story, The Seventh Bride , as much – it was darker, teetering on the edge between fantasy, fairy tale, and horror, but it was a good read all the same.
The protagonist, fifteen-year-old Rhea, is a miller’s daughter. She is sensible, capable, and kind. When Lord Craven proposes to marry her, she is sure something is wrong. Lords don’t marry millers’ daughters, but
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 04, 2015 09:30AM

• Black Dogs Part One: The House of Diamond
  • The Mountain of Iron (Black Dogs, #2)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
  • The Prince of Secrets (Stariel #2)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • The Green Man's Silence (Green Man #3)
  • The Hermit of Lammas Wood (Tanyth Fairport, #3)
  • Of Dragons, Feasts and Murders (Dominion of the Fallen, #3.5)
  • Call of Wizardry (Company of Strangers, #6)
  • For He Can Creep
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport, #2)
  • Night Shift Dragons (DFZ, #3)
T. Kingfisher is the vaguely absurd pen-name of Ursula Vernon. In another life, she writes children's books and weird comics, and has won the Hugo, Sequoyah, and Ursa Major awards, as well as a half-dozen Junior Library Guild selections.

This is the name she uses when writing things for grown-ups.

When she is not writing, she is probably out in the garden, trying to make eye contact with butterflies

News & Interviews

“I’m suggesting that if you’re going to bring hell down upon someone’s head, you should dress for the occasion.” 38 likes
“She was still going somewhere terrible, but she had a hedgehog, damnit. ” 18 likes