Start by marking “The Seventh Bride” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Bride

The Seventh Bride

Young Rhea is a miller’s daughter of low birth, so she is understandably surprised when a mysterious nobleman, Lord Crevan, shows up on her doorstep and proposes marriage. Since commoners don’t turn down lords—no matter how sinister they may seem—Rhea is forced to agree to the engagement.

Lord Crevan demands that Rhea visit his remote manor before their wedding. Upon arriva

Published November 24th 2015 by 47North (first published November 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Bride, please sign up.
H.N. Morales Absolutely no. This is a dark and twisted tale with no love, maybe a little camraderie, and a house full of murderous wives bent on revenge.
Majel I actually think it is YA. The writing style is YA, with a very young-sounding narration voice. The content is appropriate for YA, no gruesome murders…moreI actually think it is YA. The writing style is YA, with a very young-sounding narration voice. The content is appropriate for YA, no gruesome murders or violence, though magic is used to harm other people (trying not to give away anything). (less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Bluebeard:

description

Not a fairytale I was very familiar with, but I knew the basics: wealthy, lord(-like) guy marries a pretty, young thing and takes her home. He immediately has to leave (b/c reasons). She has freedom to explore the many rooms of her new residence, but she is expressly forbidden to enter ONE of them. Curiosity overwhelms her, and she finds a way into the room, where she discovers . . . the bodies of all his previous wives.

EEP.

THE SEVENTH BRIDE is an interesting t
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Rhea is the fifteen year old daughter of the town miller. She is a feisty young thing. Taking out evil swans when they eat her lunch and keeping the gremlins out of the flour. Those Gremlins cause some problems when bits and pieces of them end up in the flour.
Palm Springs commercial photography

She is happy and has pretty decent parents so she is disappointed when she finds out that she has been spoken for by a nobleman. Peasants pretty much can't tell a noble no so she knows she is pretty much stuck with the guy.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Marriage was li
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
99c Kindle sale, 1/17/2017.

Full review, first posted on www.FantasyLiterature.com:

One of the less well-known folk tales, Bluebeard, the tale of the aristocrat who has married several wives who have ominously disappeared, is dusted off and adapted by T. Kingfisher in The Seventh Bride, a middle grade/young adult fantasy. (Note: Kingfisher is a pen name for Ursula Vernon, the Nebula award-winning author of Jackalope Wives who I'm a fangirl of.) Rhea, a fifteen year old miller’s daughter, is unhapp
Althea Ann
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially passed this book up on NetGalley when I saw it. The cover with the girl standing in front of the clock just didn't appeal to me. (I mean, yes, that scene does happen in the book, so I can't complain - but it didn't call out to me.) However, after reading several glowing reviews of the book, and seeing THIS cover (with the bird skull) - which is a work of beauty on its own - I had to go back and grab it.

And boy am I glad that I did! This book is GREAT!

It's an original fairytale, in th
Lois Bujold
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy-horror readers
Being a retelling of Bluebeard, much more horror, much less romance this time around, if just as well written and inventive. The latter is my jam but the former is not, which is why this ended up last in my binge read, in the spirit of complete-ism or maybe scraping out the peanut butter jar. Now I believe I must wait for her to write more, if she is so moved.

(No, wait, haven't read Jackalope Wives yet. So I do have something saved for a rainy day, good.)

Ta, L.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I ended up enjoying this book a lot. It had so much going for it and I loved the fairy tale quality that I found throughout the novel. I will admit that I was first drawn to this book simply because of the cover. Isn't the cover artwork great? After reading the description, I decided to go ahead and give this one a try and ended up being completely captivated by the story. As good as the cover artwork is, the story is even better.

I have heard

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Bluebeard's Castle is one of my favorite fairy tales because it's so dark, and has so many possibilities when it comes to retellings. When I saw THE SEVENTH BRIDE pop up for sale on Kindle, I snagged it the instant I recognized it for what it was without even reading the reviews for it. That's a big risk, I know, and sometimes it comes back to bite me in the rear, but in this particular instance, THE SEVENTH BRIDE was totally worth it.

THE S
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

First, Cover Love.

The concept is an intriguing take on Bluebeard and his wives trope. A beautiful woman (15 yr old girl in this case) forced into marriage gets to see the horrors that await her when she explores his home, meets surviving wives and discovers some of them are dead. Sign me up for a unique story such as that – unfortunately, despite the allure drawing me, I struggled ma
Eilonwy

I loved this! It was a little more frightening than I expected, but it was more sad horror than really gruesome, and Rhea's pragmatic outlook made up for the scariness. Still, I'm glad I didn't read this when I was a kid or a teen -- I wouldn't have slept for weeks. As an adult, it bothered me less, and the humorous touches went a long way in making the story bearable.

Romance-haters, this is the book for you! There's not a bit of romance anywhere in the whole story.

Real review to come tomorrow
Kristie
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good little book. I received this as a 'Read Now' through NetGalley. I have to admit that I hesitating before clicking on it. I thought it was going to be too young or too fantasy (I know that sounds weird, but sometimes things get too fantastical and they lose me). For some reason, I kept coming back to it and figured, it's less than 200 pages, I might as well give it a go. I'm so glad I did.

This is the story of a fifteen year old miller's daughter that is proposed to b
Kira Simion
A magic hedgehog? That's new...
A retelling of Bluebeard? Yay to both!

Pros:

•The magical hedgehog! I swear the moment the main character met the hedgehog, I felt like this retelling also included a little of Alice in Wonderland.

•Magic. The interesting ways that magic held a place in this story was intriguing.

Cons:

•When the main character is told she has to marry a noble, her reaction is understandable, her relatives' are not. They let her go walk a path that could be dangerous alone to a guy who i
Susana

Another day, another retelling. This one vaguely based on the Bluebeard tale...
It has a miller's daughter as the main character and a resourceful hedgehog as the cute sidekick.

Thing is, despite my attempt at lightness, this story couldn't be further away from it.

The writing may feel a little too plain at times _ for which reason I took a star from the final rating _ and the character may feel a little too young, but once again _ read my review of Bryony and Roses _ I feel that this book should
Scott  Hitchcock
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Part fairy tale part fantasy this book grew on me as it went along. I'd highly recommend it for parents looking for a good read for their teens as I often am. It is a little dark for a YA title but there's nothing macabre or sexual.

TheBookSmugglers
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was kind of amazing.
Nikki
I actually bought this initially, but the Netgalley page said something about it being an updated version, so I went for it. I originally picked it up for the promise of a heroic little hedgehog, and I was very happy with that aspect — the hedgehog is brave, helpful, clever, and funny. It can’t speak, so it communicates with the protagonist via miming and yes/no answers. It sounded so cute. I want one!

The story itself, aside from the hedgehogs, is a nice reimagining of a Bluebeard fairytale — bu
Emily
I LOVED this. I remember finding it on a Goodreads friend's list while wandering around, and I was surprised by how many reviews it had from top reviewers. I am happy to confirm that all of those good reviews are well-deserved: this is a funny but wholly creepy fairy tale reimagining that I devoured in less than a day, and it deserves more readers than it has. The good news is that T. Kingfisher (great pen name by the way) has several more of these. I am going to eat them all up.

The fairy tale r
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
On Netgalley? Now you can request T.Kingsfishers excellent subverted fairytale "The Seventh Bride"

Its in the "Read now" category :)

Rhea the millers daughter is if not happy with her life at least content. Even if she has to fish out the occassional mangled gremlin or the ongoing feud she has with a sandwich stealing swan. But her predictable life changed whenher parents tell her that a certain Lord Crevan wants to marry her and seem to think this is great news.

Rhea knew she would be getting marr
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
What a fun read! I got this from Netgalley as a read now. It is an entertaining and quick story full of fanciful characters, one of which is a cute little hedgehog. I doubt I would have liked the story as much if there had been no hedgehog. He adds a lot to it for me. But, I did enjoy the tale very much of Rhea and the wives she is forced to live with. As a 15 year old Rhea is not yet ready for marriage of a true love nature; much less to an older man perhaps even as old as her father, who has u ...more
Luucy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
**I received the e-book from Netgalley in exchange of my honest review**

It was great! :D
It was really creepy and it had a lot of magic, it was fantastic how T. narrates all the scary scenes! :)
The thing I loved the most about this book is that no matter how bad or dangerous the things were Rhea always had a sarcastic or funny comment to do and it made the book a lot better in my opinion <3
The only thing that I didn't enjoy too much was the ending, I think it could have been a lot more that wh
Lauren James
[Gifted]

This was so darkly creeping and intriguing. Magic, a terrifying villain and a loveable protagonist. I'm not sure what age this is aimed at - it can be quite simple, but also seems a bit scary for MG age. Maybe it's like Coraline, that scares adults more than it does kids? Either way, I enjoyed it.
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a most refreshing read - a creepy, sparse retelling of Bluebeard that is neither lurid nor sexualized, but fits the story as smoothly as flesh and skin fit over bone. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get around to The Seventh Bride, but I gulped it down in a couple of hours and wanted more.

15-year-old Rhea, the miller's daughter, has been made an offer that she (or more accurately, her family) can't afford to refuse: marriage to Lord Crevan, a mysterious widower whom no one seems t
Tokio Myers
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Reasons why you should read this book:

-It's short and straight to the point

- There's a badass hedgehog

“It was starting to get impatient. A hedgehog hopping irritably on its hind legs is a tragic sight.”

-A funny and likable main character

“It was not a terribly good stab. Millers' daughters do not traditionally spend a great deal of time engaged in single combat.”

-Crazy wise wives

“What’s going to happen?” asked Rhea. “I was a witch, not a fortune teller,” said Maria testily. “No one knows wha
Amanda
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010s
The Seventh Bride is about a miller's daughter who is chosen to be the wife of a noble for no earthly known reason, because she's not exactly gorgeous and he's never even really met her before. It's all very strange..until she realizes he's an evil wizard, and meets the menagerie at his castle. This, though it starts off reading as YA, is DEFINITELY NOT YA. Funny and poignant and altogether a light read, thoroughly enjoyed.
MB (What she read)
Wonderful fairytale!

I so enjoyed Rhea, the intelligent, likeable, practical and competent heroine! Also her hedgehog and her witch friend. This story showed a great deal of creativity and I hope one day T. Kingfisher's alter ego does a graphic novel version.

This is my second Kingfisher book, and believe me, it will not be my last.

Recommended.

Now I'm off to reread Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber. One Bluebeard read calls for another. ;-)
Suzanne
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kunilmited, fantasy, ya
I've really won this month on cute sidekick creatures, and the hedgehog in this one is a keeper :)

“She was still going somewhere terrible, but she had a hedgehog, damnit. ”
Sara Jesus
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

Esta é uma releitura do conto "Barba azul"de Charles Perrault. Uma história sombria que narra a história de Rhea, uma jovem camponesa de 15 anos que é forçada a casar-se com um velho abastado. Um homem que mais tarde se revela ser um poderoso feiticeiro. Mas o mais terrível é que ele possui várias mulheres, e de todas elas rouba uma importante da sua vida.

Lord Carven estipula várias provas garantindo que se falhar irá ser sua esposa. Ao longo da sua estadia na casa daquele feiticeiro, ela de
Annamaria
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
"Roses have thorns", she said. "That's the price of roses. When you start to forget that, that's when things go wrong."

I liked the beginning of the books better than I liked its ending. I found the main character, Rhea, an original one. Finally a 15 year old that's not silly, whiney, dumb and that doesn't drool over the bad guy. The story was creepy and gripping until the very end. The ending felt rushed though, and it didn't deepen the personality of any of the main characters enough. The villa
Claire
Well, that was fucking fantastic.

Fabulous storytelling. Clever. I was listening to the audiobook and kept giving out little huffs of laughter and "mmmmm"s at really excellent lines. There were frequent moments where I wished I could bookmark it for future reviewing, and I never do that.

The Seventh Bride felt a little like Terry Pratchett in that Rhea is a terribly pragmatic heroine, there's many funny moments, and it's an unexpectedly horrific (and human) little book. I'm surprised to see so m
Olga Godim
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Recently, I read another novella by this writer, Bryony and Roses , and loved it. My 4.5-star review is here. I didn’t like this story, The Seventh Bride , as much – it was darker, teetering on the edge between fantasy, fairy tale, and horror, but it was a good read all the same.
The protagonist, fifteen-year-old Rhea, is a miller’s daughter. She is sensible, capable, and kind. When Lord Craven proposes to marry her, she is sure something is wrong. Lords don’t marry millers’ daughters, but the
Around the Year i...: The Seventh Bride, by T. Kingfisher 4 48 Sep 10, 2017 02:35PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 04, 2015 09:30AM
  • Giant Trouble (Hamster Princess #4)
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Spirits Abroad
  • Masque (Two Monarchies Sequence)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • The Fisher of Bones
  • Mistress of the Wind
  • Red as Blood and White as Bone
  • Lifeboats: A Tale of the Young Wizards
  • Under the Pendulum Sun
  • Redder Than Blood
T. Kingfisher is the vaguely absurd pen-name of Ursula Vernon. In another life, she writes children's books and weird comics, and has won the Hugo, Sequoyah, and Ursa Major awards, as well as a half-dozen Junior Library Guild selections.

This is the name she uses when writing things for grown-ups.

When she is not writing, she is probably out in the garden, trying to make eye contact with butterflies
“I’m suggesting that if you’re going to bring hell down upon someone’s head, you should dress for the occasion.” 30 likes
“She was still going somewhere terrible, but she had a hedgehog, damnit. ” 16 likes