Start by marking “Encender (The Enertia Trials, #2)” as Want to Read:
Encender (The Enertia Trials, #2)

Encender (The Enertia Trials #2)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
They say you feel cold when you die.
The people I’ve killed would beg to differ.

For twenty-something Ransley, the adopted daughter of famed street fighter Estevan Benitez, fighting is all she knows. One hidden detail separates her from the endless string of her pathetic opponents: she can craft and influence heat and fire.

When she’s pitted against the strongest fighters
Published February 29th 2016 by Ingram Spark (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Encender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encender

Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 3.75 Stars *****

Cannot be read as a standalone

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but Encender wasn't as enjoyable to me due to the main character.

I get why Ransley is a stubborn person. She's very emotional and passionate about the things around her, which makes sense since she can control fire. But there were moments where she just drove me absolutely crazy.

My favorite part was when Reggie and Nate came back into the story. I also loved the twists involved, and I can't wait
Lindsey Lynn
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Micah
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW WOW WOW!!! OMG You know how you get nervous about the second installment of a book because you're worried that it cannot live up to the first book? That was me. I really liked the first book and I was a little worried. However, I thought this one was BETTER.

In this book, we meet new characters and we leave some behind. Reggie and Nate still make an appearance, but we meet Ransley and Royden (and some others, but these are the main characters). Ransley is kind of like a child-fighter, but sh
Muskan
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(Note: The book was sent to me by the Author in exchange for a review. All the opinions stated below are mine & 100% honest.)
I am in love with the world & characters J. Kowallis has created. The new characters that were introduced in this installment were absolutely mind-blowing and I instantly fell in love with them.
Ransley is so kickass, and her powers are breath-taking. Roydon, uhh! How does J. Kowallis create such amazing male characters because I get head over heels for them.
Nata
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
This is the sequel to Afterimage and I can't tell you how in love I am with this series and Kowalis's writing. I figured out that I hadn't learned my lesson from book one; I wasn't prepared for the dose of brutality this book brought into my life. The brutality was doubled but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love every moment of it. There was so much suffering and this is a world I would never in a million years would like to be a par
Tuba Sayed
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to start by saying that this book is LIT in every possible way. And the best thing - the second book syndrome is completely absent, you can just dive right in without any worries.
We are introduced to a new set of characters and it will probably take like 10, 12 pages for you to fall in love with them. Those who are upset that this is not about Nate and Reggie, worry not, you will meet them too. Ransley, our main female protagonist, is a fighter and she also has the ability to contr
legenbooksdary
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps on getting better and better. I seriously cannot imagine and predict what will happen next in the third book but, what I do know is that it will definitely blow my mind and it might also break my heart into pieces.

I love the new addition of the characters - Ransley, Roydon and Estevan. I really find Ransley and Roydon' character intriguing! And their abilities are extremely awesome respectively. Estevan in my opinion is just a minor character in this story but his charact
Michelle (Bookaholic Banter)
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Insanity! Round of applause for this second book! I didn't think I could fall any more in love with this series or these characters, I was completely wrong. More excitement and adventure with new characters introduced. Stories intertwine with old characters and it was just spectacular. Everything I loved in the first book was all here but way more to love in the second book.

We are introduced to a kick-ass female named Ransley. She e
Natshane
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, freebies
I voluntarily read and reviewed a free copy of this book provided by Xpresso Book Tours and the author. Thank you so very much for the reviewing opportunity!

I have no type of scale that could describe the magnitude of love I have for this series. Having read Afterimage, no doubt that I had developed a sense of what to expect from the author, but I should have learned my lesson not to ever underestimate the dystopian mastermind. J.Kowallis once again stunned me into a mental stupor and left me
Tricia
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ENCENDER BY: J. KOWALLIS "My opponent's eyes are cold and detached. You have to be like that in this world. You can't care-or think about what you're doing. You can't think about the lives you take, because if you do...your will end in one snap of de Dios fingers."

Melanie Elyse
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The characters were great, the action believable, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the author's progression. This book is much better than the last and I cannot wait to read the next one to see where the plot takes me.
E.J. Mellow
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Devastating and fearless, J. Kowallis has created a dystopian world unlike any other.
Penny Olson
I was given a copy of this book through Xpresso Book Tours in return for an honest review.
Book two of the Enertia trials hits the ground running with the introduction of three new characters, Ransley, Royden and Estevan. It takes place in Latin America near the city of Public Four, part of the new dystopian post war society created by a sociopath. Royden is captured by The Public and in attempting to rescue him, Ransley meets up with Nate and Reggie from Afterimage. I was really into this book a
Amber
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
kaitlin schade
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this isn’t getting 5 stars is because of the main character. Ransley irritated me to no end, however, the emotional roller coaster she took us on added to the excitement of this book.
Tricia
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I have been trying to come up with the words to say about this book, and what automatically keeps coming to mind is that this was not necessarily the book I wanted after reading Afterimage, but what it was, was just the book I didn't even know that I
Jasmine
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Encender, book two in the Enertia Trials series, is a fascinating sequel to Afterimage. I didn't read the synopsis for Encender until after I finished Afterimage, and once I did, I was curious to see where the sequel would go, especially since Nate and Reggie are not the main characters anymore.

Encender is about a young girl named Ransley who is found lying in the middle of the street by a retired street fighter named Estevan. He takes her in and raises her as his own daughter. He also teaches h
Tera
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel that second books in a series usually don't live up to the first, but Encender changed my mind.
It's not often that you actually love the second book more!

Encender picks up right where Afterimage left off, and once you start you won't be able to put it down. There are also new characters and settings added to the mix with lots of woven in details. This author writes such a brutal dystopian world and you can't look away. If you read this one, you have to read the next one because, well, c
Anwesha Sahu
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received a copy of the ebook from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review**

The second book in the Enertia Trials beings with new characters,and trust me,I wasn’t too enthusiastic about reading new POVs,that’s the extent to which I loved the characters from the first book,and instantly started missing Reggie,given the fact that I completed the first book barely five minutes before picking up the second.So,I kind of left the second book just a couple of chapters in cause I was
Ashley Tomlinson
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow...just wow! This book was freaking amazing! I actually liked this one more than I liked the first one which is weird for me. How could I not like it when it had a character as sweet as Roydon. This one had more danger and violence in it, also more hand to hand combat especially in the beginning.

It takes place after the first installment. Afterimage. Except with a whole new slew of characters some of the previous characters meet up around halfway through the book. Normally I would have hated
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
J. Kowallis has a gift for telling a brutal dystopian story. I had the privilege of reading the first two books of The Enertia Trials, Afterimage and Encender. As soon as you start with Afterimage, you immediately become entwined with the entire plot line. You will immediately fall for the characters and find yourself imagining the story as if you are one of Kowallis's characters. Kowallis develops her characters in such a way that you feel as though they have become your best friends and part o ...more
Lisa
I liked this as much as Afterimage. It was an enjoyable and gripping read. I love that Ransley is both similar AND incredibly different than Reggie. She's got her own personality and though her story is very similar to Reggie's in some ways, she's very much her own person. Roy as well... I kinda love him! Though... not the Public altered version of him... he sucked!

Again... the abilities are BADASS! Can you imagine combining all of their abilities into one person?! Scary and Badass at the same
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**** 5 Cranky Stars ****

After Reggie, Nate and the team take Public One in North America down, the story moves to Public Two in South America.

We meet two more people with abilities. Ransly can manipulate fire and Royden is able to split himself. Roy is a good looking, all-round-nice guy while Ransly is an opinionated undisciplined, selfish woman. They live and meet in a streetfight in the underbelly of South America, on the doorstep of Public Two.

Betrayal results in Roy being taken by The Public
Angela Cramer
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Encender we meet Ransley with a combustible problem of her own. Adopted by the top street fighter of the day, she is taught to use her wits and her fists. Forced to fight in the Argolla, what used to be the underground fights in Los Angeles, she meets the first person with powers like hers she has ever met - Roydon. Roy does play with fire, but his talents are impressive non the less.

As is with most crooked, money grubbing, what's in it for me arena managers, a deal was made with Lobb and Ro
Bunnita (Worth Reading It?)
This is the second book in the series. The second book in series can go either way even though many times it falls flat. Encender was able to avoid that by focusing the book on two other characters. Nate and Reggie are still part of the story but the main focus is Ransley and Royden. A little trick other author use. Put the characters in the same type of setting, have the previous main characters as background character in the new one, and voila and second in series with a new story to tell.

Once
Maisha Zahir
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I am loving this series more and more!
I absolutely LOVED Encender.
This book was so interesting, I didn't want to put it down!
Ransley is really strong and her power is so cool!
And Roydon, Oh Goodness <3

I loved loved loved how Estevan took up Ransley even though he didn't have proper food or shelter for himself. It was a beautiful father-daughter relation.
The whole plot of this book has something intersting about it.
The fig
Destiny
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Met the author at a local convention and her description intrigued me enough to give this story a try. The plot is good, and I liked the character development.

Overall, I have 2 critiques:
1) There are still typos and grammar mistakes that need to be fixed, although this one was significantly better than Book 1. A really thorough copy editor would do wonders.
2) I would have preferred that the timeline of what I will call "the fall of civilization" be more ambiguous. Relating the story to current
Demi
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
*copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

Encender was fast-paced and had the perfect amount of action and brutality! I love how badass all the characters were! I did have a couple of minor issues regarding Ransley’s character. I thought she was kind of annoying during certain parts of the book but Nate and Reggie’s presence totally made up for those moments. Overall I enjoyed the storyline and after being left with that crazy cliffhanger, I’m excited and nervous to find out what
Susan Walker
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did not read the first book in this series. However, I enjoyed this sequel very much. The fact that one character, a female, can cause and control fire was pretty cool. The book has interesting and complex characters in it.
Tabatha
Apr 29, 2017
  • The Dreamcatcher (Dreamland #1.5)
  • The Civility Code (Civilogy, #1)
  • The Girl Back Home
  • The Cauliflower
  • I Will Send Rain
  • New York, 1960
  • Illegal Intent (Tony Conte #2)
  • The Alt-Worlders
  • Brew (Salem's Revenge, #1)
  • A Drop in the Ocean
  • The Right Track (Girl vs. Boy Band #1)
  • Cognata
  • Breaking Measures
  • Rosie Goes to War
  • Drowned Sorrow
  • Summer in the Invisible City
  • The Guardians of the Oort Cloud (The Smith Chronicles, #2)
  • Saving Autumn (The Spirit Shifters, #2)
J. Kowallis graduated from Weber State University’s creative writing program, and lives in Utah with her Mini Schnauzer, Etta. She enjoys dreaming about, flying to, and writing about distant lands (real or unreal).
More about J. Kowallis

The Enertia Trials (4 books)
  • Afterimage (The Enertia Trials, #1)
  • Duality (The Enertia Trials, #3)
  • Dominion (The Enertia Trials, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)