Start by marking “The Attic Room” as Want to Read:
The Attic Room

The Attic Room

A father’s secret... a mother’s lie... a family mystery.
An unexpected phone call – and Nina’s life takes a disturbing twist. Who is John Moore? And how does he know her name?
Nina travels south to see the house she inherited, but sinister letters arrive and she finds herself in the middle of a police investigation. With her identity called into question, Nina uncovers a s
Published July 22nd 2015 by Linda Huber

To ask other readers questions about The Attic Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Attic Room

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I had been eagerly awaiting the next book from talented author Linda Huber since reading [The Cold, Cold Sea] last year and loving it. The wait was well worth it as The Attic Room really delivered and lived up to expectations. Whoop!

A father’s secret... a mother’s lie... a family mystery.

Linda Strong
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
What would you do if your mother has jut died, and weeks later you hear from an estate attorney telling you some man, recently deceased, has left his house and a lot of money to you ... and you have no idea who this man is?

I would do exactly what Nina does ..... go meet the lawyer and look at the house and ask how much money.

And what would you do if you found out this man was actually your father .... the man your mother told you died many, many years ago?

And while Nina is trying to come to grip
Lisa
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Attic Room by Linda Huber was an outstanding first novel of suspense, betrayal & secrets that had my head spinning round & round then some more it was so good could not put this down.

Nina Moore had just lost her mother Claire who died a horrible death & was struggling to cope with her daughter Naomi they all lived together in Arran & got on very well, until one day Nina gets a phone call from Samuel Harrison a lawyer telling her she has just inherited a house & a lot of m
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on Becca's Books.

Originally it was the cover that drew me to Linda Huber's 'psychological thriller' The Attic Room. Once that had caught my attention, I turned my focus to the blurb and thought it sounded like a novel I'd really like to know more about. It intrigued me with talk of twists, secrets and mystery, so I grabbed myself a copy off Amazon and couldn't wait to begin.

The Attic Room by Linda Huber follows the dual-narrative of Claire and Nina, mother and daughter. Nina
Joy Mutter
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been wanting to read one of Linda Huber’s books for ages. I eventually chose The Attic Room. Its mysterious cover intrigued me as I knew something awful must have gone on behind that door. I wasn’t disappointed, far from it. I haven’t read any of the other reviews, and I daren’t say too much to spoil anyone’s reading experience. All you need to know is that the story and fluid style will draw you in. It touches on a subject not often discussed and the author has been brave enough to tackle ...more
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The Attic Room is the second book that I have read by this author and have got to say I loved them both.

The story flicks between Nina in the present day and Claire, Nina's mother, in the past.

Getting an unexpected phone call telling you that you had inherited a house would probably be a nice surprise for most of us but unfortunately this is not the case for Nina. The house as well as the man that has left it to her reveals some shocking and horrific secrets.

You can feel the tension building thro
Babus Ahmed
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nina is contacted by a solicitor in Bedford looking for the recipient of an inheritance from a man who claimed to be her father, but it's been two weeks since she lost her mother, who also told her that her father had died when she was young. When the likelihood of this being a sine clerical mistake seems slim, Nina goes to Bedford from her home in Arran, to find a large mysterious but familiar house and a branch of family she never knew she had. However, the dark secrets of this family threaten ...more
Alison Gray
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story tackles a difficult subject but is told in a way which makes it an enjoyable read. Nina is grieving for her mother who has died recently, when she finds out she has been named in the will of a man she doesn’t know. He has the same surname as her, however, and reluctantly she agrees to travel to Bedfordshire from the Isle of Arran where she and her daughter Naomi live and she runs a bed and breakfast. Gradually, Nina discovers her relationship to this man and is drawn into the stories ...more
J. Kahele
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nina is devastated by the lost of her mother. While grieving for her she discovers that she has been named as a beneficiary for a man she does not know, although, he shares her same surname. As she delves into finding out, she unlocks the torrid truths of her mothers past, that places her into immediate danger.

This was a gripping read and would have been perfect had there not been an overuse of world building. I like just enough to pull me in and let my imagination do the rest. The writing was e
Lady Delacour
Clean, Adult Theme.
Foul Language.
John
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You would think that this was a happy ever after story from the beginning. Nina inherits a couple of million and a big old house from a relative she didn't know she had... what more could anybody want?
But nothing is free in this life, and the more you get, the bigger the price, and the price Nina has to pay in terms of all what she holds dear is massive.
The atmosphere of the house, leaking it's evil memories of the past came through strongly and chilled me to the bones. Linda Huber knows about e
Shawna P.
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
When I saw this book under my recommendations, I was instantly intrigued. The cover, the author, the plot. I needed to read it ASAP. And so I did. Having read The Cold, Cold Sea also by the author, I had high expectations. However, I was pretty disappointed with this one.

Nina has just lost her mother in a freak accident and at the same time, finds out she has inherited a house and large sum of money. Once she travels to the house, the threats begin. Someone claims she doesn't deserve everything
Tracy Shephard
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really interested in this read, the blurb intriqued me and I was eager to find out what it was all about.

However, I got quite impatient with the style of writing, there are a lot of descriptive references to furniture in the rooms, of the very big and foreboding house of John Moore. There was even a sentence that read.. ‘ the bathroom proper must be upstairs.’
Even though the author has written two other books, I feel that she hasn’t quite reached the pinnacle of her writing ability. I also
Thorne Moore
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, though not quite as much as The Cold, Cold Sea. The theme is compelling and it dwells properly on the impact of a nasty subject, rather than reveling in the details. Nina discovers that her father hadn’t died when she was young, as she had believed. Why hadn’t her mother told her? It’s too late to ask her mother and then it’s too late to ask her suddenly discovered father too, but she soon learns enough about him to wish he weren’t her father after all. She finds herself with a h ...more
Boundless Book Reviews
Nina has just dealt with the death of her mother. Then she gets a call from a lawyer saying she has inherited a house and a large amount of money from an unknown relative. She goes to visit the lawyer and get the information she needs about this strange relative. While there she finds out many secrets from her past that not only put her life in danger, but the life of her daughter as well.

This book was just wow. The story was captivating. Around every turn something new comes up and it gives th
Fi Ward
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Peach Berry
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I was so excited to read another of Huber's novels, as I loved The Cold Cold Sea so much. This book started off with lots of promise and intrigue but, unfortunately, it failed to live up to my expectations. I didn't feel the character development was as strong as Huber's other work, though the plot was good there lacked some depth to the overall story.

The main characters were written well, though their relationships seemed somewhat artificial, a lot of the book felt 'skimmed over' to reach the m
Valerie Hodge
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will read anything witten by this author. What an awful consequence not kowing your family tree and then be plunged into a dangerous situation far, far fom home. Not to give away spoilers, this story was very well written and you are on the edge of your seat as you cannot put it down once you undstand what is at stake.
Leah Alfree
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best of the best

I would like to just book because it kept it on the edge of your seat. I am now reading the The third book from the same Arthur. I really like her style and how she brings things to a nice climax. I would recommend this book to all of my friends specially my sister.
Amanda
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very suspenseful and addictive - pretty much read this book in one sitting. One thing to note though, the story line kind of teeters on the line of a topic that is...touchy? In the authors defense though, I thought she did a great job of touching on an uncomfortable subject without going too far. This one was hard to put down, definitely recommend.
Lola
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed

This started out rather slow but as I read I gained more and more interest. I did put it down for a bit as life got busy but when I picked it back up it read like an old friend.
Beth Shoemaker
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite author

I could not put this book down. Ms Huber kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm looking forwarding to reading more from her
Lyndall
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but not as much as some of her other novels.
Allison
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad...

I did like this book but it had a tendency to really drag on...and on. Especially towards the end. But overall not bad.
Sonia  Kay Gore
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chilling!
Kelly Kiggins
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick read

Intriguing, quick read. Read it while I sat in the waiting room while a family member was in surgery. Will most likely check out her other books.
Elizabeth Winston
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really Good

Like the previous 2 books this was a real page Turner. I can't wait to read more books by this author!
Dempsey A Whitman
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This is a great book. Easy to read. Love it from the beginning. I am going to read her second book.
Keith Curran
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Still So Brilliant!

Another book read all-the-way-through! Linda Huber is addicting! But, she is always class's and quality, first page to last. Worth every beautifully chosen word...

Some concerns,, MAYBE SPOILERS

IT OCCURS TO ME THAT THE AUTHOR'S LEAD CHARACTERS LOVE AND NEED THEIR DAUGHTERS A TAD TOO MUCH, DEPENDING ON THEM FOR THEIR OWN SENSE OF WELL-BEING, MEANING THAT THEY END UP INVOLVING THEIR VULNERABLE OFFSPRING IN SITUATIONS THAT ARE FAR TOO DANGEROUS, JUST TO HAVE THEM WITH HER, TO LOOK
Rebecca
One and a half stars rounded up to two.

Lackluster and predictable crime thriller - and I'm being pretty free and easy with the word "thriller." The story was so predictable that I began to wonder if there was even supposed to be a mystery involved at all.

It started out in a promising way. A woman, Nina, runs a bed and breakfast on a Scottish isle with her mother and young daughter. Sadly, Nina has just recently endured the death of her mother and is left to run the family business and raise a 1
  • Royal Family: Years of Transition
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • They Danced by the Light of the Moon
  • The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave in the Rocks?
  • Mother Had a Secret: Learning to Love My Mother & Her Multiple Personalities: A True Story
  • Iterations
  • The Power Twins
  • Jessica Lost: A Story of Birth, Adoption  The Meaning of Motherhood
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • The Lost Daughter
  • Something's Alive on the Titanic
  • Murder on Trinity Place (Gaslight Mystery #22)
  • Georgian London: Into the Streets
  • After the Fact: The Surprising Fates of American History's Heroes, Villains, and Supporting Characters
  • My Story
  • A Rather Remarkable Homecoming (Penny Nichols, #4)
  • Letters From Berlin: A Story of War, Survival, and the Redeeming Power of Love and Friendship
Linda Huber grew up in Glasgow, Scotland, but went to work in Switzerland for a year aged twenty-two, and has lived there ever since. Her day jobs have included working as a physiotherapist in hospitals and schools for handicapped children, and teaching English in a medieval castle. Not to mention several years spent as a full-time mum to two boys, a rescue dog, and a large collection of goldfish ...more