Start by marking “SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide” as Want to Read:
SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide

SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide

The Best Fully Integrated Study System Available--Written by the Lead Developers of Exam 310-065

With hundreds of practice questions and hands-on exercises, SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide covers what you need to know--and shows you how to prepare--for this challenging exam. 100% complete coverage of all official objectives for exam 310-065Exam Objectiv
Published June 24th 2008 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide

Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny writing style, Detail explanation (sometimes too much detail that could piss me off). Deep coverage of OCJP exam objectives. Challenging exercises and Good summaries at the end of each chapter. If you are going to take OCJP exam, this book is for you.
Naresh
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
I am a big fan of Kathy Sierra. I have read couple of books written by her.

Head First Java, 2nd Edition
Head First Servlets and JSP
SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065

I love the way she writes. Very simple language and easy to understand programs.

I am coming back to SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Exam 310-065 to brush up my concepts on generics and she has really done a great job.

Simply awesome book.
Nikhil
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book with deep dive in to each concept. Very helpful for Java certification aspirants
Linh
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book...well, it means a lot to me. I taught myself programming out of it. I'd worked my way through Apress's SCJP guide, which was crap. Then I heard this book is THE guide to the exam, so I worked through it too. In my mind, not only is this book THE guide to SCJP, it's THE guide to Java itself, or even to programming and computer science to some extent. Somehow it manages to teach to the test AND teach CS concepts incredibly thoroughly while being actually entertaining. It taught me what ...more
Shawn
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
The book seems good at what it is designed for. Okay, my take while reading the book and doing the quizzes at the end of each chapter was that this had to be the most worthless certification on the planet. The quiz questions seemed more inclined to try to trick and misdirect than to really test anything of value, so I was pretty down on it as a result. But I had committed to taking the exam, so I prepared anyway. I read the book twice and did all the questions at the end, studying the answers ca ...more
Ahmed
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here is the thing, want to prepare for the SCJP 6 exam? This is the book to read. It tackles each of the 38 objectives of the exam in great detail and a very neatly-organized 10-chapter structure. The book assumes no prior knowledge of the topics, just that you know your way around Java programming- compiling and running programs. The only chapter that might feel a bit messy is the I/O section (chapter 6), but if you know your way around Java I/O you will have no troubles with it. In short, SCJP ...more
Jeffery Moulton
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-done certification-prep book. It is informative, has great sample test questions, and is often funny in a geeky, nerd sort of way (though the promised twist ending is something of a dud). The only complaint I had was that it needed more exercises. It gave great examples, but didn't have the reader actually try them out enough. If not for that, it would have been 5 stars.

Recommended for anyone studying for the exam.
Ahmed Attyah
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book 3 times, beside it is the best resource to prepare for SCJP/OCPJP , it is a good material if you really want to master Java, I'm sure you will learn new stuff in this book, personally i found many new things i never knew about !, also this book organizes information in a good manner, make concepts clear !, i really recommend it for all java developers even if are not preparing for certification !
Santhosh Kumar
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why you're reading the book matters. If it's to clear the exam it's the best that there is. of course, just learning from the book will do no good, but reading this will help you learn a few things. If you're reading this to "learn" java. You should understand that you're "learning" java not learning how to use java. It's just a different way of saying that you're learning the fundamentals in quite a detailed manner, which is good.
Giuseppe Pizzimenti
il particolare stile di scrittura degli autori si rivela effettivo anche qui, pur non essendo portato agli estremi "visuali" della serie "Head first"; i contenuti, nel limite degli argomenti di certificazione, sono ben sviluppati, e lo consiglierei anche a chi volesse approfondire le basi del linguaggio, pur non essendo interessato a certificarsi
Evghenii
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The technical base for any java programmes. This completely covers the java part of what i think a java junior should know.

The book itself is a well crafted manual that helps you absorb and structure all the 800+ pages showing that authors are not only good technicians but also awesome teachers.

And as bonus you get to easily pass a certification. An example for any manual!
Jessenia Kahn
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The read was difficult, but it serves its purpose. Each subject is written thoroughly to a fault. Each time you read it, you will walk away with with a better perspective on Java. You're always guaranteed to walk away with something. The only problem is making it through! I pick a random chapter every now and then to re-enforce the concepts.
Abhisek
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have seen for Core Java concepts. Not recommended for beginners though, as it travels wide discussing Java concepts, but doesn't delve deeply into individual topics. A must-read if you feel you are at an intermediate level of Java programming.
Pavol
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was a long fight but I managed to finish it. Will see how it helps with the test.

I actually liked the book. There is a lot of interesting information and authors are doing their best to put it in understandable way (with jokes once in a while).
Manuel
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not exist a better book to understand and get ready to pass the OCJP 1.6.

All Java issues are very well explain with a simple and clear language.

Thanks Kathy!!

Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 6 Programmer
Vadim
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A truly fascinating and easy to read book about Java. I've finished it even though I don't plan to pass Java 6 examinations (Java 7 exams are available already). I liked the author's jokes a lot, and generally the way information is presented is quite easy to get.
Kholofelo
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is really easy to read and makes Java Fun LOL.
It addresses topics in a more engaging manner.
Realistic and challenging problems well explained.
Each Chapter is focused to one topic and it is well written

Overall, it is a five star book for anyone who'd love to get Cert'd
Sowmya's book world
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, i-own
I am finally done with my certification :)

THIS BOOK HELPED ME IN UNDERSTANDING THE THINGS IN BETTER WAY. I WILL NOT RECAMOND IT FOR THE JUST STARTER TO READ THIS BOOK

U KNOW THE BASIC CONCEPT AND WANT TO KNOW EXPOLRE IT IN A BETTER WAY THEN ITS A VERY GOOD BOOK

Jaykiran Teraiya
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's doing a good job at keeping content concise. I read it when I was in my early phase of career, but book was organized in such a way that it did not overwhelm me. I hope they come up with something equally good for Java 8.
ِAbdulrahman Mahmoud
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
a great book for who are interested in being Java Certified, it explains most of Java Core aspects, with also a variety of solved questions that cover most ot topics related to J2SE
Ahmad Haitham
Aug 19, 2016 is currently reading it
Specialized
Andre Otto
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's a nice book in order to prepare to the test
Alex Babiuk
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good book to prepare to SCJP
Gunka Huseynova
it was helpful to pass certification exam
Radek Urbas
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very good study guide! I'm going to do some more mock test and finally take the exam.
Jack
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
-Nicely covers all exam topics
-Could be written more concisely
Ken Gullaksen
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough and complete study guide.
Olli Sorje
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Good study material for SCJP certification exam
Dan Pudwell
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read for exam (which I passed thanks to this book and practise tests included) and still use as reference
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Java Performance
  • Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects
  • Java Generics and Collections: Speed Up the Java Development Process
  • RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide: Exam (RH302)
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout
  • SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide (Exam 310-055) (Certification Press)
  • The Quick Python Book
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »