Start by marking “Tell the Wind and Fire” as Want to Read:
Tell the Wind and Fire

Tell the Wind and Fire

In a city divided between opulent luxury in the Light and fierce privations in the Dark, a determined young woman survives by guarding her secrets.

Lucie Manette was born in the Dark half of the city, but careful manipulations won her a home in the Light, celebrity status, and a rich, loving boyfriend. Now she just wants to keep her head down, but her boyfriend has a dark
Published April 5th 2016 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Tell the Wind and Fire, please sign up.
Julia Stand-alone, I believe, since it is a re-telling of "A Tale of Two Cities."
Casey Dundore According to Netgalley the Pub Date is April 5, 2016.

Emily May
“When the power of Light and Dark was discovered, the world was transformed. There was no going back: the shine and shadow of magic swallowed the old world up.”

And poof! A whole magical world and system bursts into existence. How did they discover it? Why wasn’t it obvious that magic was around before? Does anyone know these answers? Because the book sure isn't giving them up.

Khanh and I have had comically different reactions to our 2016 reads. Every book I love, Khanh hates, and vice versa. S
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I had Great Expectations going into this book, but unfortunately, I feel readers will have Hard Times finishing it, and Our Mutual Friend Emily May might agree with me. I'm sorry for the Charles Dickens puns. Who am I kidding lol? I'm totally not.

Confession time: I hate Dickens. I'm sure there are people who thinks Dickens is awesome. I'm sure that there are people who list his books among the greatest literary classics of all time. I ain't one of them.

I read his books when forced to, in high s
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
A Tale of Two Cities re-told? So that sounded interesting. Through in some magic and I'm in.

New York is a very different town now. Magic has divided it. You have the Dark side, where Dark magic rules and the people are suppressed and watched. You have the Light side, where privilege and opulence rules.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Lucie is a girl that now lives in the Light and practices Light magic with the help of her magic rings. She was born over on the Dark side so she has always been torn between the two sides. *gag*
Kat Kennedy
Jan 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually don't understand the synopsis. Like at all...
bibliophile (Romance Addict)

4.5 "Tell the wind and fire to stop, but don't tell me." Stars!

I have noticed the bad ratings. The DNF reviews and status's. I was scared of going into this honestly. I mean who should blame me? I strengthened my heart and went into this expecting the worst. A book that would bore me to sleep. A heroine worth punching. And a story so cliched, it's not worth reading. As I started reading this, I noticed how much I was enjoying this book. The writing was good, and the story interesting. I can prou
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
All of Charles Dickens' parts were REALLY GOOD, but I'm not sure about that lady... I don't think people should trust her.
Nastassja
The problem of this book is that it has an amazing concept but poor development. I mean, come on, the idea of two cities - The Light city and The Dark city - relying on each other in order to survive is pretty awesome, and especially when human nature is involved and war between these cities is raging. How can anyone win when you need both cities to survive? That is a hint for us to prepare for a dark story full of suffering and hard decisions, where there's no heroes or villains and every side ...more
Alyssa
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well it was a two-star rating, but now it's one.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Clarion Books
Publication Date: April 5, 2016
Rating: 1 star
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lucie Manette was born in the Dark half of the city, but careful manipulatio
Selene
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Clarion Books for the advanced reading copy of Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan. I can't wait to start this book!

After receiving this as an ARC I did go out and purchase the book! I was too excited and needed to own the physical copy.

Tell the Wind and Fire follows the story of a Light half and Dark half New York. The Light city is full of luxury and white magic while the Dark city is fo
Ylenia
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads, kindle
*ARC / review copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thanks again*

DNFed at 56%

*1.5 stars*

I really can't say I tried with this book. Me and review copies have a weird relationship.

If you don't want to read the whole thing - and I would totally understand that - I didn't finish this because it wasn't anything original, I have read all the tropes that were in this book in at least 67 other YA ones.

This is a retelling of A Tale of Two Cities which I haven't read so sorry about
Wendy Darling
I am wary of this, but A Tale of Two Cities is one of my favorite books of all time!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Sarah Rees Brennan novels are always a breath of fresh air for me, but SRB retelling A Tale of Two Cities? Brilliant. I loved it from start to finish, and even knowing how it would end, I still feel as heartbroken as the first time I read the original story. Which I now want to pick up again since it's been ages. (And since A
Giselle
"People come up with a hundred thousand reasons why other people do not count as human, but that does not mean anyone has to listen."

When I heard this would be a retelling of A TALE OF TWO CITIES, I knew I had to give it a try. I went into it with no expectations and I'm glad I did because I would have been too busy comparing it to the classic novel, and that's not fair to Brennan. She made this her own, created a world where Light and Dark magic exist. Where evil doppelgängers are born when the
Rose
Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literally no one lol
Shelves: arcs, horrible-mess
I'm sorry, but... just no.

This book just wasn't for me. From start to finish, I just couldn't connect with the characters, care for the plot, or like the writing. I feel like I rarely give out 1 star reviews, but this book gave me almost nothing. I couldn't even hate it: it's that bad.

I'm making this review more like a Q&A because I think it's easier to talk about the book like this and because why not? Also, just a heads up that literally all the gifs in this review are completely random
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This novel is almost quiet in its intensity, tackling tough subject matters that still sadly plaque our culture and world today.

A very subtle nonthreatening look into diversity and prejudice that doesn't immediately stand out and grab you but rather over time, works its way into your sub-conscience and finally, after filling it out, shining through with clarity, understanding, and knowledge.

This was a fun and interesting world with subtle messages woven throughout and I couldn't of been happie
Sandra
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see your one and two star ratings, people... But I cannot agree.

SARAH REES BRENNAN, I LOVE YOU AND I HATE YOU.

The things you do to me, woman....
Feb 18, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Update: this is on my kindle but I'm terrified to read it.

I am pre-mad at SRB for what I assume is another stressful, hard-to-put-down book. She is very evil.
Justine
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
I do feel bad about this rating because I wanted to like this book. I'm actually a fan of A Tale of Two Cities, and I was looking forward to reading a fantasy story based on it. That said, I know it's been getting quite poor reviews, so I even went in with appropriately lowered expectations, but to no avail.

The main problem was that for most of the book I actually didn't really understand all that clearly what was going on. I mean, I read the words about Light New York and the Dark and Light Gua
Carla
Feb 20, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: veruca-salt
i'll go get the vodka for the stress boozing. who wants to go get the snacks? and when i say snacks, i mean more booze.

description
Aila
Check out more reviews on One Way Or An Author!

*ALARM SOUNDS BLARING*

First YA DNF of the year! So why, you may ask, did I not fall in love with this magical retelling of A Tale of Two Cities? Why did I go up to 38% of the book - not even halfway through, and end up with the unsatisfied swell in my chest that you get when you're not enjoying the words on a page (or in this case, screen)? Simple.

- It made me yawnn by the first one-fifths because of all the information it shoved down my throat.
Sabrina
Read my full review on my blog!! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

I absolutely loved this book. I can't describe how much I love it. The ending shook me and I can't stop thinking about it. As I write this review I have read the last chapter 5 times already. I can't describe how thought provoking it was, which is why I am giving this book six stars.

Tell the Wind and Fire is a dystopian world set in New York where the city is divided by Light and Dark magic. Lucie is a light magician growin
Lindsay
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A (very) YA novel about a teenage Light Mage caught between the Dark City of her origins and the Light City of her present.

Lucie (groan, I assume the name was deliberate) is a Light Mage born in a family that also has Dark Mages in the Dark City. The Light City and Light Mages brutally control and repress the Dark City and Dark Mages even though there is a mutual need for each other. Lucie's mother is disappeared early in her life, and her father is tortured horribly when he tries to protest thi
Lindsay Cummings
lovely writing!
Susana

2.5 Stars

Arc provided by Clarion Books through Netgalley
Release Date: April, 5 th

When I requested this, I knew this was going to be tricky: a retelling of Dickens?
I would either love or hate it... as what tends to happen with all Dickens things (although I do tend to like the BBC adaptations)

So yes, I admit it, the only reason why I requested this was because of the author. I loved her first Lynburn book, and even though I wasn't a fan of the conclusion of the series (don't even get me started
Drew
“It was the best of times until it was the worst of times.”

2 1/2 stars. I just… can't give this a higher rating. I wish I could. Because I honestly did enjoy this fast paced, entertaining retelling of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities at first. But then the story turned into too much of a "who should she choose?"

Lucie Manette is stuck between two choices: a) Her old familiar, safe boyfriend or b) the new mysterious, sarcastic bad boy.

This was much less retelling and much more angsty teen r
Stacee
1.5 stars?

I loved Sarah's other series, so I was thrilled to get my greedy hands on this one. It breaks my heart to rate it this low.

I struggled with this book. Hard. I was immediately confused after the first chapter, but I kept going, certain that some sort of explanation was just a page away. But no.

Lucie and Ethan and Carwyn were interesting characters, it was just everything else. There were a lot of info dumps and each layer just made it all worse. Nothing ever became clear for me. I fou
Deyse
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
THANK YOU BOOK FOR MAKING ME UGLY SOB SO MUCH THAT I COULDN'T SEE WHAT WAS ON THE PAGE.
Coherent thoughts closer to the release date.
Ps.: about the similarities to "A tale of two cities" I can't say if it's really similar and/or if makes justice to it BUT I thought the revolution on this one was really similar to the build up for and the Reign of Terror that occurred on the French Revolution.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
I’m not usually one to say a character is ever outright stupid, but Lucie must be the stupidest of any heroine I’ve ever read, and that includes Bella ‘my life revolves around a vampire who wants to kill me’ Swan and Nora ‘sexual assault is sexy’ Grey.

There’s heat of the moment act-first-think-later bad decisions, then there’s contemplated ‘this could actually kill us because it’s dangerously illegal but screw it it’ll make for a good plot nothing else’ bad decisions.

I mean, one after another, L
Sherwood Smith
Feb 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Copy received courtesy of NetGalley

This story follows the basic plot line of Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Brennan states in the afterword that she read the book at age eleven. For someone whose stories seem to require the good-bad boy and a bad-bad boy love triangle as substrate, she must have found the Dickens formative, as A Tale of Two Cities is the ultimate love triangle tragedy/romance.

Brennan has built a phenomenally successful career around angsty love-triangle stories, and here she giv
Ezgi Tülü
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF @ 42%

Kitap güzel ve heyecanlı başlamıştı fakat ana karakterimiz Lucie, attığı her adımda bir hata yapmaya başladığı an kitaba olan ilgimi feci yitirdim. Sanırım kitap İki Şehrin Hikayesi'ne dayanıyormuş ama onu okumadığım için tam olarak ne açıdan benzediklerini söyleyemem, belki de beni kitaba çekmeyen şey asıl kitabı okumamış olmamdır. (Bilmiyorum.)

Carwyn, (view spoiler) ilk başta ilginç ve eğlenceli bir karakter gibi görünmüştü ama ondan sonra
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Vulpi (Thyla, #2)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Remember Me & The Return Part I  (Remember Me, #1-2)
  • Broken
  • Fallout (The Phoenix Files, #5)
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • The Traveler's Wake
  • Dreambender
  • Taken
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • When I Wake
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • House of Bones (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • Future Shock (Future Shock, #1)
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • The Scorched Earth (The Chaos Born, #2)
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.
“I wasn’t showing what I really felt. Real grief is ugly and uncomfortable. People look away from grief the same way they look away from severed limbs or gaping wounds. What they want is pain like death on a stage: beautiful, bloodless, presented for their entertainment” 9 likes
“Maybe that is the only thing I have ever learned about love: love is when you save someone no matter what the cost.” 8 likes