Start by marking “Broken Sky (The Broken Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Sky (The Broken Trilogy, #1)

Broken Sky

(The Broken Trilogy #1)

Welcome to a ‘perfect’ world.

Where war is illegal, where harmony rules.

And where your date of birth marks your destiny.

But nothing is perfect.

And in a world this broken, who can Amity trust?

From the bestselling author of the Angel trilogy comes Broken Sky – an exhilarating epic set in a daring and distorted echo of 1940s America and first in a new trilogy.
Published March 1st 2016 by Usborne

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Original and fresh. Somewhat lacking in consistence, though too much of it could have bored the YA audience to tears.
Top-notch pilots, all bearing names of peace.
Ritualistic approach to deciding things (reminiscent of the trial by ordeal in Medieval Ages).
Intrigue and astrology and cold reading.

Q:
For me, though, I had to know. I couldn’t stand not knowing something so important. Even before I became a Peacefighter, I always read the paper front to back, trying to understand what was going on
Imogene Dacanay
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first Dystopian read, I did not expect that much. The blurb didn't give that much teaser as well, so I did not expect anything at all.

The prologue had me intrigued immediately, then the first chapter and the preceding were told in the past. But there's no need for a prologue! Prologue or not, readers- I think, will still be intrigued to read the book. So what's the use.

I was in the verge of putting the book down. Because even with an intriguing line, it's slow paced. Being a reader with patie
Aditi
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.”

----Rick Yancey

Lee Weatherly, an American best-selling author pens her new YA fantasy book, Broken Sky which marks the first book in The Broken Trilogy under her pseudonym L.A. Weatherly. This story is set far back in time and history when technology has recently touched the base of the civilized society of mankind, and a new world has arisen from the ashes of des
Liz Barnsley
**4.5 stars**

I'm a fan of the "Angel" series of which I am on book 2 but when I saw this in the bookshop during my latest browsing session I had to pick it up. The cover on its own was enough even if the story had not sounded so excellent.

This the first book in the "Broken" series has a very different vibe to the other - and is a highly imaginative take on the world with some great characters and an intriguing developing mythology. The author has managed to get a beautiful "Noir" feel to the nar
Zoë Marriott
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of YA and children's books. A lot. But BROKEN SKY has that rarest of qualities - it feels utterly fresh and unique. Set in what at first appears to be an alternate history version of the 1940's, with all the delightful Noir-ish trappings you might expect (diners, speakeasies, fighter planes, radio broadcasts and jazz music), we soon come to suspect that this is actually OUR world - but in the far future, after a nuclear apocalypse which threw the technological development of the hum ...more
Amelia

I honestly don't understand why Broken Sky isn't getting more attention - it's a delicious read in an ever-popular genre: YA Dystopian (although it is also suitable for adult audiences). There's neither instalove nor love triangle. The characters are rounded and imperfect but not idiotic. The premise is really interesting - global disputes being resolved through a kind of champion warfare to avoid the catastrophic results of all-out war.

The time setting is unclear with references from the 40s a
Bea (Beatrice Learns To Read)
Full review at Beatrice Learns To Read.

I received a finished copy of this book from Usborne Publishing in exchange for an honest review. By no means have my review been affected and/or influenced.

In a post apocalyptic 1940s, political disputes by opposing countries are reconciled through aerial battles. Amity Vancour is a Peacefighter pilot from the Western Seaboard. She and other Peacefighters must defend their country and make sure all disputes against other countries are won.

John Gunnison is
Ruzaika
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another version of this review can be found here

Received with thanks in exchange for an honest review from the publisher.

Broken Sky was a thrilling dystopian fantasy set in "a daring and distorted echo of 1940s America", as the blurb put it. Reading that the first time had me confused- would it be set in an alternate universe of America in the 1940s? But then that would hardly be dystopian, so what exactly would be the case here?

Well, giving a unique twist to the Dystopia we usually see, the a
Kirsty Hanson
I love the dystopian genre. I love all of the "what ifs" that it lays out for the reader to think about: 'what if our government did this?', 'what if our world decided to do that?' I find it very intriguing, it's one of the reasons why I enjoyed Divergent (not so much Insurgent or Allegiant).

L.A Weatherly had previously written the Angel trilogy. I had read the first two books and then given up because they were so big. I saw Broken Sky, realised that it was a dystopian and decided to get it. I
Justine (bookwormaniac)
A heart-pounding adventure of Amity Vancour as a Peacefighter of the Western Seaboard - being the one who fights other jet pilots with something large at stake to keep the country's "peace" from other - started with a prologue that overshadows the climax of the story. Then, the book continued with chapters that spoke about the past before the prologue happened which made me intrigued to read more.

To be honest, the start of the book was incredibly slow which made me want to drop this book and sta
Zainab Ishaq
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Usborne for sending out a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first ever book by LA.weatherly .
The synopsis of the book should be changed because it does not shows how amazing the book is.
After reading the synopsis i did not expected anything form the book at all. But I was wrong.
After reading the prologue I was so so so intrigued. The plot was so good.

The lead female character Amity Vancour shows so much power and how she is ready to expose Gunnison and his people
georgia
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Holy shit that cliffhanger, I WAS NOT expecting that. Amity better end up fucking bad-ass because of this and if she doesn't I'll write a formal complaint. Guys legit just read this for the cliffy. That was insane.
Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read)
First of all, who the hell wrote this blurb? Because not only does it do nothing for the book, it's also misleading as fuck. I honestly had no clue as what this book was about until I read the prologue. There were just so many questions. So, before I get to actually reviewing this, I'm going to clear up a few questions you may have had upon reading the blurb.

What is this about?

Going to take this moment to write my own summary of this book. I've seen other people do this in their reviews. I've ju
Marium Mansoor
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Veronika
Jul 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
I'm so so SORRY but I'm really, really not into this one. I don't like the characters, the story doesn't grab me and I don't "believe" in the world, which is one of the most important things for me in Dystopian or Fantasy novels. I don't buy the Peacefighters and the horoscopes and whatnot. It makes no sense. I'm so sorry, I know a lot of people loved this, including people who I really trust and care about... but no, this was not for me.
Zainab Sheikh
Thanks to Usborne for sending me the physical copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't go into the book with high expectations because the plot doesn't give anything away which I think is unfair. But, I'll try to summarize it as good as I can;

Amity is a Peacefighter and a very skilled one. She lives in Western Seaboard and their world is free from wars because war is illegal, so all the conflicts between countries are solved through the Peacefighters which involves pilots, pl
Tati
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia-sci-fi
Full disclosure: I have both a B.A. and an M.A. in International Relations, so this was right up my alley. Even so, I found it to be better than expected.

The World Building: At the risk of repeating myself: I'm an International Relations geek. So the world building was fascinating for me. You see, one of the main international relations theory postulates that war is inevitable. However, this author deals with it in an original way. Rather than going to open war, states solve their conflicts thro
Danielle
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I wasn't amazed by Angel, Broken Sky was wonderful! The MC was awesome, it was fast paced and (while outlandish and completely unbelievable) I got super sucked into the plot. The air of mystery was fantastic as well, keeping me hooked and wondering what the end game was. And then we got all sorts of revelations that made it worthwhile!

Amity (yes the rest of the names in this book suck just as much as hers) was a strong, kick-ass heroine with so much goodness in her. Sure she had her negati
Georgia
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Adult books never cease to amaze me. 'Broken Sky' entices you from the first page: with it's fresh plot, and well defined characters.

When an apocalypse forces the human race back to the dark ages, it makes them take much longer to get back to where they started. But a crucial element has been introduced: no more war. A neutral authority called War For Peace oversees any conflict between countries, in the most fair and justified way possible.

Amity is a peace fighter pilot, who faces this
Charlotte
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
After being so fond of L.A. Weatherly' Angel series I was a little apprehensive for this book as I wondered how it could compete with such an amazing series but this definitely did not disappoint. It followed such a unique story from the idea of star signs deciding your fate to important political matters being settled through 'Peacefights' as opposed to more traditional debates and discussions. As well as the amazing world that was built upon throughout the book a web of lies, deceit and mistru ...more
Celia Tuckfield
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book as there is very little detail on the back cover.

I won't write details but wow. It exceeded my expectations. If you liked Hunger Games you will like this. It is set in 1940s America but feels futuristic. The author did keep to the technology of the time, it would have been very easy to stray from this. I liked how this made the characters and scenes look in my imagination but I had to keep drawing myself back to that era. Probably because other books l
Anj
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
In Broken Sky, we live in a post-war world where the Central States and the Western Seaboard fight for resources, assets, estates, everything. This is combat you have not possibly imagined. A pilot, ranked through Tiers (1 being the highest), fight an opposing pilot using mechanical birds that blasts ammo and more stuff combat jets normally do. That's quite badass in my book. And our hero(ine) here is a girl. Bad... Ass...

review on my site :D
Hannah Mangan
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was listening to The End Of The World by Juliet Simms for the last couple pages and it made me laugh, not cause the story was funny, because the song fit in PERFECTLY
Spoilers Part ( it's only two words)
SANDY
WHAT
REMEMBER WE USED TO CALL YOU THAT
OH YEAH I WAS JUST REMEMBERING SOMEONE ELSE WHO CALLS ME SANDY

COULD THIS BE WHAT I THINK!!!!!??????
Alisha Tarran
Yep. That's it. That's all the synopsis you're getting. I could expand on it but then I went in to the book only knowing that and while I was expecting good things, I was still surprised and I completely loved this book! I read the Angel trilogy back in school, or started it back in school rather! I completely loved it and eagerly waited for each new book, I loved how original it was and the spins and twists to it, and so while I didn't know much about this book...I trusted Weatherly to do somet ...more
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received a review copy from Usbourne in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

I read L.A.Weatherly’s Angel trilogy back when I was in the seventh grade and I fell in love. There was honestly nothing more romantic in my world that a broken Angel Hunter and a Half Angel escaping the power of angels that were slowly destroying humanity together.

When I finally got the opportunity to read Broken Sky, which I’d hea
Nicka (Read by Nicka)
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finally found it! The very first dystopian book that I liked and enjoyed, believe me when I say this, I've been having a hard time enjoying books that are under the dystopia genre but I'm so glad that I gave this book a try. NO REGRETS!

The plot was new to me, learned a lot of things about aircraft and about being a pilot since the MC was a Peacefighter. Amity Vancour was such a badass female lead. I liked her point of view, she was always outgoing and when she found out that something was wron
Read3r’z Re-Vu
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine a dystopian world set in the 1940’s where peace fighters flew planes in “tournaments” for oil and natural resources and this perfect world where war is illegal and everyone lives by Astrology where your star sign dictates your destiny, however, in this perfect world of harmony, the world is in fact broken and you just can’t trust anyone. When I first read this, the prologue really gripped me into the book and set up a great mystery that kept me turning the page as I really wanted to know ...more
Lucy
Apr 03, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF at Pg 132

I don't think this is a problem with the book, I was just finding really hard to connect with the characters and the story. I might have to try again at a different time.
ellie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I DID NOT DESERVE THAT ENDING I HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG WHAT IS THIS

Sidenote- this author was the first young adult one I ever read (her Angel series was my life in gr 6) and so I wasn't sure how this would turn out but I really enjoyed it :)
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
  • Snakes & Ladders
  • V for Violet
  • Flashes
  • All Fall Down (Kate Maddox, #2)
  • Team Awkward (The It Girl, #2)
  • The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)
  • Last Chance Angel
  • Sprite (Annabelle's Story, #1)
  • Conspiracy Girl
  • Rare Breeds
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
  • Gifted (Gifted, #1)
  • Man Made Murder (Blood Road Trilogy, #1)
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Dance of Fire (Dance of Shadows, #2)
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: No More Secrets
  • I am Forgotten
  • Dark Days (The Childe, #2)
Lee Weatherly was born in 1967 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, USA. She lives with her husband in Hampshire, England, where she writes, goes on walks, tries out new recipes and has a cat named Bernard.

L.A. Weatherly is the pseudonym for Lee Weatherly. You can follow her on Twitter at @LA_Weatherly

The Broken Trilogy (3 books)
  • Darkness Follows (The Broken Trilogy, #2)
  • Black Moon (The Broken Trilogy, #3)
“People here aren't mean; they're not unsociable - it just hurts to get close to someone and then lose them” 1 likes
“I buried my face against his neck, breathing him in - the smell of machine oil, summertime, a thousand memories” 0 likes