Start by marking “One Marine, Hero” as Want to Read:
One Marine, Hero

One Marine, Hero

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
He’s a hero to everyone but himself.

Marine helicopter pilot Captain Jake Woodley struggles after receiving the Medal of Honor for a mission where he didn’t bring every man back alive. Being called a hero and having his photo plastered across the news makes him hate himself more. He despises his cushy job flying with the Marine One squadron, carrying the president and oth
ebook, 1st, 280 pages
Published August 17th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about One Marine, Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Marine, Hero

Against the Grain by Charlie CochetLonely Hearts by Heidi CullinanKnave of Broken Hearts by Tara LainA Fashionable Indulgence by K.J. CharlesYou Are the Reason by Renae Kaye
August 2015 MM Releases
23rd out of 136 books — 264 voters
Chase in Shadow by Amy LaneFinding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie SextonFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsShades of Gray by Brooke McKinley
Best M/M Hurt/Healing/Comfort Books
357th out of 500 books — 362 voters

More lists with this book...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
E.M. Lynley is a good writer, and I loved

Dirty Dining by E.M. Lynley

However, I had a hard time getting into this story. It's my fault for requesting a book that revolves around political intrigue (which I typically dislike), but I can never resist a good hurt/comfort theme and men in uniform.

It took a while for the MCs to meet, and almost all the sex scenes (including the first one) were fade to black, which totally calls for my favorite HELL NO gif.

The story focused more on politics and the mystery than the relations
Gigi
4.5 stars rounded up because DAISY!

Two gay, handsome, available men walk into the White House Correspondents' Dinner. One man says to the other,
Would you be interested in a blow job?
And there you have it. The slutty, delicious beginning of a passionate, loving, romantic relationship.

Captain Jake Woodley is a helicopter pilot training in Quantico, VA to fly The President in Marine One. He is a decorated Marine war hero after having saved several soldiers in Afghanistan where he piloted rescue
Aug 13, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant story! Lynley has taken two fascinating, original characters, wrapped a chilling suspense story around them and sprinkled a little romance on top. Perfect.

Beau is a fantastic character. The fashion reporter accidentally invited to a White House party for journalists, he has only one thing to say to the handsome Marine pilot he meets at the dinner, “Would you be interested in a blowjob?” Honestly, I loved him from that moment on. Beau’s easy humour and camp affectations are a
Kade Boehme
Aug 17, 2015 Kade Boehme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy EM Lynley's work and how she seems to really grow with each new one. And she never fails to impress me with her research. I think I've said before that she utilizes her research in such a way it's organic to the story and doesn't make me feel overwhelmed or like she's trying too hard (aka pompous). And with this, it was so fun and an interesting job our marine had. I'd never even really considered that there would be a helo squad separate like Air Force One. Silly me.

As for our guys, the
Jacq
Aug 19, 2015 Jacq rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This storyline was solid. It had potential. The smexy scenes were poorly written. Most were BLACKED OUT ...Ugh! The MC s were hard to picture. I noticed E.M Lynley, like to use this line a lot " over the next few days" I found myself thinking wait what! Yep, my oh my there you have it. I lost a few days. So I must say this was slightly, less than an ok read. Sigh, not worth the FULL price I paid, not by a long shot.

I push the purchase button to DAMN FAST~
Denise H.
*** "One Marine, Hero" is a military mystery/romance !! *** Our hero, has been awarded the Congressional Medal Of Honor, and is now on the Marine Air Corps that flies the President and dignitaries. He is Captain Jake Woodley, a blue eyed, crew cut, hunky Marine,

who meets Matt "Beau" Beaumont at a White House event. Beau, who works for a newspaper for the fashion department, is slim, lean, honey haired, and has brown eyes. Not only that, he's a colorful, vivacious, free spirit.

Beau sees Jake a
Carly
Aug 29, 2015 Carly rated it it was amazing
Wracked with survivor’s guilt after returning from Afghanistan, Jake Woodley’s life is slowly spiraling downward. Consumed by loss, he is unable to appreciate the value in his life is or recognize the opportunities for positive change his current posting contains.

Matt is a fashion commentator who yearns to prove himself as an investigative reporter. A case of mistaken identity catapults him out of the rut his professional life has become and into the center of a political storm the size of which
Becky Condit
Aug 22, 2015 Becky Condit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You had me at sexy heroes in uniform. Then I got into the book and was well and truly hooked on the story and characters.
Jake is a pilot in training to fly Marine One, the President’s own helicopter. It is also used to ferry other dignitaries around and then we get into the strange, secret missions Jake is asked to fly in the Washington area. Unfortunately, Jake is suffering from PTSD and self-medicating with alcohol. Too much alcohol. Way too much alcohol. Jake is trying to get in enough hours
Sherry Bohrmueller
Aug 02, 2015 Sherry Bohrmueller rated it it was amazing

I was given this book by Inked Rainbow Reads for an honest review.
I absolutely loved this book. It wasn't just a romance about two guys, it also had a fantastic mystery to it.

Jake was a war hero who didn't deal with being called a hero very well. I think the author created an excellent version of a war hero and how hard it is to deal with losing their teams. Jake had a drinking problem, loved this line in the book.

"It didn’t stop him from thinking about spending some quality time with his secre
Love Bytes Reviews
4.5 Heart Review by Vicki

Beau Beaumont, writer of fashion stories for a Washington DC paper, former writer of political stories for another Washington paper, likes a man in a uniform. After a mistake is made with his name and the name of a political writer at his paper with the same last name, Beau and his best friend Laney attend the Autumn Correspondents’ Celebration at the White House. Beau catches the eye of a Marine in full dress uniform, stalks him a bit, then boldly offers the man a blowj
Tessa
Jul 21, 2015 Tessa rated it it was amazing
One Marine, Hero - EM Lynley
5 stars
Possible trigger - Alcoholic tendencies
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

Beau and Jake are kind of a conundrum. I really enjoyed their story. It was a well planned, well executed romance with an awesome mystery. I am normally one who can see the mystery come to conclusion in advance, but this book had me stumped until almost the very end.

I was impressed with how Lynley was able to create Jake's character who was seen as such a h
Momof3-in an Ash and Cael sandwich
I don't know, this didn't really work for me. I liked Beau quite a bit and Jake, though quite a douchebag initially, did grow on me. Their relationship was odd, and there were times when I found Beau too forgiving, but I was glad the times he just said okay, I'm done and took the time he needed.
Jake bothered me for several reasons. I don't understand how the drinking issue didn't get more attention as it was so heavy in the first half. I understand that he went to AA, but he had issues
Mtsnow13
I had the pleasure of reading this without a cover, so I already had in mind what my Hero and his love interest would look like, and for me it was nothing like the final cover that was revealed, but that's okay, as I get to keep my vision in my memory :)

This story had quite a different approach than most typical military plot lines in that the MCs were not what would be considered in the middle of military warfare, even though there were some allusions to black ops that the Marine MC had to take
Kimberley
Sep 01, 2015 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Copy graciously provided by InkedRainbowReads.

5 Captivated Stars!!!!

I have read this author before and I love her writing!!! She gives us interesting and intelligent details that captivate your attention through the whole story. I devoured it!!

I loved both Hero's for their unique characters. They each brought strength to the story. It was a heart-felt and very sexy Journey with Jake and Beau.
Molli B.
3.75 stars.

This was mostly quite good. I loved both guys. I thought Jake's struggle was portrayed very well from both viewpoints. I loved the helicopter stuff and the White House stuff—the White House parties were very fun. Lane, Toby, and Daisy all made strong secondary characters.

I do feel things got a little draggy in the second half. I found myself not as into the mystery storyline as I would have liked. I thought the whole thing was pretty well integrated into the romance, but there were so
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher in exchange for an host review*

This was a very enjoyable read. It had drama, angst, suspense, mystery, romance, and was even a little steamy. I loved that the author started the story with her experiences of seeing the helicopters, and her interest in learning about them, while working at the White House. It was an educational and intriguing preface.

A mistaken invitation to a White House party sets the scene for our main chara
WhatAStrangeDuck
Dec 19, 2015 WhatAStrangeDuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, military
Well written romance with an infusion of thriller elements. Liked it. Short review due to tiredness. *zzzzz*

Content warnings: Substance abuse.
Dragonpoetikfly Poetry
Dec 26, 2015 Dragonpoetikfly Poetry rated it it was amazing
What a sneaky mystery,and wonderful romance. Great read!!
Secretobcession
Aug 24, 2015 Secretobcession rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up.

IMO...perhaps not her best book to date, but it kept my interest until the very end. Sex scenes were more on the PG-13 side of things...which was kinda weird, because Ms. Lynley can write very steamy HOT sex scenes. Like when Santa brings you presents at Christmas...you might not get exactly what you wanted, but what you got was ok.
Brandilyn
Jan 09, 2016 Brandilyn rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

4.5stars

EM Lynley packs a lot into her latest novel, One Marine, Hero. A lot of excitement, heat, joy, disappointment, action, and of course love.

For Complete review see Prism Book Alliance: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...

Lisa
I loved the relationship between Beau and Jake. I liked how it had ups and downs but not too much angst between the ups and downs.
What was a little strange was the 'mystery'. It started near the beginning of the book and then all went quiet. The eventual solving of it seemed a little like an after thought.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Mar 24, 2016 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it really liked it
One Marine, Hero is a romance with strong mystery elements that are a nice change of pace to the usual contemporary fare. Beau is the fashion reporter for a second-tier newspaper in DC. His hard-news job at the Post has been downsized, and he’s frankly happy to still have a newspaper job—even though it’s certainly not the one he trained for nor aspired to. Jake is a Marine pilot on the Marine One squadron, a reward for his years of service and recognition for his Medal of Honor. On the surface t ...more
Veronica of V's Reads
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Captain Jake Woodley is a marine helicopter pilot who survived a crash in Afghanistan and came home hailed as a hero. He's suffering PTSD and survivor's guilt, but doesn't seek treatment because it will ground him from active duty. He is part of the crew that pilots helicopters for the Prez, VP and press corps. He doesn't want to give this up, and instead spends his off-flight duty hours getting blind drunk. While attending a White
Kevin
Jan 03, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
Fun story, great primary and secondary characters. The only thing I didn't especially like was the conspiracy. I felt it unnecessary as there were already enough things going on.
Bo
Dec 30, 2015 Bo rated it it was amazing
Totally Different Than Expected

Like the cover, you won't expect the kind of Marine Jake Woodley turns out to be in this slightly offbeat, sometimes hilarious, always touching and continually surprising journey of love.

You certainly wouldn't expect him to be instantly attracted to Beau, who is portrayed as just shy of being a bit too out of the closet, but whose inner strength and determination to make his man whole again will constantly surprise you.

This was a relaxing, and very hot, read, and e
Karlijn
Beautiful written. Jake is full of guilt. Yes, he helped safe a lot of them, but he couldn't safe erveryone and that is the cause of his guilt.

Beau is an fashion reporter but want to be so much more.

The moment they lay their eyes on each other they have to connect with each other. The words Beau chooses for their first line are completely out of the blue, but oh so hilarious.

You will find angst, romance, guilt, mistakes, love, strength, conspiracies and promises in this book. You will laugh, c
Joyfully Jay
Sep 15, 2015 Joyfully Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book is a romantic suspense with a heavy emphasis on the suspense/mystery. As a mystery, this one was fairly interesting. A reporter accidentally sees something he shouldn’t have seen. A helicopter pilot is making clandestine trips in the middle of the night. If you love a good politically themed mystery, this book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.

As for the romance side of the story, despite Beau’s fabulous pickup line, I
Dutchgirl
I've read some books by this author and i really liked them. I love books about military/marine etc. so when i saw the blurb of this book i figured win-win. But somehow this book didn't do it for me, one of the reasons may be that there is a lot of telling instead of showing.

Also the fact that both main characters didn't feel real to me and i didn't care about either of them didn't help. For me caring about the main character (or at least one of them)is a must in reading a book.

Shannon
Nov 20, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it
This one seemed a little off to me. I really enjoyed their beginning and the way their relationship progressed. I didn't really understand some of the arguments or the jealousy. My main niggle is the mystery/investigation part of the book. We get a little glimpse that something may happen throughout the book but the real action doesn't start until about 80%. That's a little late to start the drama IMO. That's not the say I didn't like the book, I did. Like I said, just a bit off.
Susan
Great Story

Loved the characters, the wonderful story, the writing drew me in, and most of all the happy ever after ending.
  • Brothers In Arms (Recon Diaries, #1)
  • In His Sights (Don't Tell, #4)
  • The Intersection of Purgatory and Paradise (Least Likely Partnership, #3)
  • More Than Life
  • Bring Him Home
  • The Border
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Semper Fi
  • Beyond Honor
  • Until We Meet Once More
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1)
  • Rescued by Love
  • Because of the Brave
  • Driftwood
  • The Walls of Troy
  • Basic Training
  • Semper Fidelis
  • One Breath One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley...