Start by marking “One Marine, Hero” as Want to Read:
One Marine, Hero

One Marine, Hero

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
He’s a hero to everyone but himself.

Marine helicopter pilot Captain Jake Woodley struggles after receiving the Medal of Honor for a mission where he didn’t bring every man back alive. Being called a hero and having his photo plastered across the news makes him hate himself more. He despises his cushy job flying with the Marine One squadron, carrying the president and oth
ebook, 1st, 280 pages
Published August 17th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about One Marine, Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Marine, Hero

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
E.M. Lynley is a good writer, and I loved

Dirty Dining by E.M. Lynley

However, I had a hard time getting into this story. It's my fault for requesting a book that revolves around political intrigue (which I typically dislike), but I can never resist a good hurt/comfort theme and men in uniform.

It took a while for the MCs to meet, and almost all the sex scenes (including the first one) were fade to black, which totally calls for my favorite HELL NO gif.

The story focused more on politics and the mystery than the relations
Gigi
4.5 stars rounded up because DAISY!

Two gay, handsome, available men walk into the White House Correspondents' Dinner. One man says to the other,
Would you be interested in a blow job?
And there you have it. The slutty, delicious beginning of a passionate, loving, romantic relationship.

Captain Jake Woodley is a helicopter pilot training in Quantico, VA to fly The President in Marine One. He is a decorated Marine war hero after having saved several soldiers in Afghanistan where he piloted rescue
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant story! Lynley has taken two fascinating, original characters, wrapped a chilling suspense story around them and sprinkled a little romance on top. Perfect.

Beau is a fantastic character. The fashion reporter accidentally invited to a White House party for journalists, he has only one thing to say to the handsome Marine pilot he meets at the dinner, “Would you be interested in a blowjob?” Honestly, I loved him from that moment on. Beau’s easy humour and camp affectations are a
Kade Boehme
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy EM Lynley's work and how she seems to really grow with each new one. And she never fails to impress me with her research. I think I've said before that she utilizes her research in such a way it's organic to the story and doesn't make me feel overwhelmed or like she's trying too hard (aka pompous). And with this, it was so fun and an interesting job our marine had. I'd never even really considered that there would be a helo squad separate like Air Force One. Silly me.

As for our guys, the
Jacq
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This storyline was solid. It had potential. The smexy scenes were poorly written. Most were BLACKED OUT ...Ugh! The MC s were hard to picture. I noticed E.M Lynley, like to use this line a lot " over the next few days" I found myself thinking wait what! Yep, my oh my there you have it. I lost a few days. So I must say this was slightly, less than an ok read. Sigh, not worth the FULL price I paid, not by a long shot.

I push the purchase button to DAMN FAST~
Denise H.
*** "One Marine, Hero" is a military mystery/romance !! *** Our hero, has been awarded the Congressional Medal Of Honor, and is now on the Marine Air Corps that flies the President and dignitaries. He is Captain Jake Woodley, a blue eyed, crew cut, hunky Marine,

who meets Matt "Beau" Beaumont at a White House event. Beau, who works for a newspaper for the fashion department, is slim, lean, honey haired, and has brown eyes. Not only that, he's a colorful, vivacious, free spirit.

Beau sees Jake a
Becky Condit
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You had me at sexy heroes in uniform. Then I got into the book and was well and truly hooked on the story and characters.
Jake is a pilot in training to fly Marine One, the President’s own helicopter. It is also used to ferry other dignitaries around and then we get into the strange, secret missions Jake is asked to fly in the Washington area. Unfortunately, Jake is suffering from PTSD and self-medicating with alcohol. Too much alcohol. Way too much alcohol. Jake is trying to get in enough hours
Carly
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wracked with survivor’s guilt after returning from Afghanistan, Jake Woodley’s life is slowly spiraling downward. Consumed by loss, he is unable to appreciate the value in his life is or recognize the opportunities for positive change his current posting contains.

Matt is a fashion commentator who yearns to prove himself as an investigative reporter. A case of mistaken identity catapults him out of the rut his professional life has become and into the center of a political storm the size of which
Sherry Bohrmueller
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was given this book by Inked Rainbow Reads for an honest review.
I absolutely loved this book. It wasn't just a romance about two guys, it also had a fantastic mystery to it.

Jake was a war hero who didn't deal with being called a hero very well. I think the author created an excellent version of a war hero and how hard it is to deal with losing their teams. Jake had a drinking problem, loved this line in the book.

"It didn’t stop him from thinking about spending some quality time with his secre
Love Bytes Reviews
4.5 Heart Review by Vicki

Beau Beaumont, writer of fashion stories for a Washington DC paper, former writer of political stories for another Washington paper, likes a man in a uniform. After a mistake is made with his name and the name of a political writer at his paper with the same last name, Beau and his best friend Laney attend the Autumn Correspondents’ Celebration at the White House. Beau catches the eye of a Marine in full dress uniform, stalks him a bit, then boldly offers the man a blowj
Avid Reader
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One Marine, Hero - EM Lynley
5 stars
Possible trigger - Alcoholic tendencies
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

Beau and Jake are kind of a conundrum. I really enjoyed their story. It was a well planned, well executed romance with an awesome mystery. I am normally one who can see the mystery come to conclusion in advance, but this book had me stumped until almost the very end.

I was impressed with how Lynley was able to create Jake's character who was seen as such a h
Mtsnow13
I had the pleasure of reading this without a cover, so I already had in mind what my Hero and his love interest would look like, and for me it was nothing like the final cover that was revealed, but that's okay, as I get to keep my vision in my memory :)

This story had quite a different approach than most typical military plot lines in that the MCs were not what would be considered in the middle of military warfare, even though there were some allusions to black ops that the Marine MC had to take
Teri
I don't know, this didn't really work for me. I liked Beau quite a bit and Jake, though quite a douchebag initially, did grow on me. Their relationship was odd, and there were times when I found Beau too forgiving, but I was glad the times he just said okay, I'm done and took the time he needed.
Jake bothered me for several reasons. I don't understand how the drinking issue didn't get more attention as it was so heavy in the first half. I understand that he went to AA, but he had issues
Kimberley
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Copy graciously provided by InkedRainbowReads.

5 Captivated Stars!!!!

I have read this author before and I love her writing!!! She gives us interesting and intelligent details that captivate your attention through the whole story. I devoured it!!

I loved both Hero's for their unique characters. They each brought strength to the story. It was a heart-felt and very sexy Journey with Jake and Beau.
Lisa
I loved the relationship between Beau and Jake. I liked how it had ups and downs but not too much angst between the ups and downs.
What was a little strange was the 'mystery'. It started near the beginning of the book and then all went quiet. The eventual solving of it seemed a little like an after thought.
MMCash
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il était long, mais qu’est-ce qu’il était bon !

N’y voyait aucune allusion salace, juste un ressenti post-lecture immédiat. À la quasi-totalité du livre, je me suis dit : pfff, c’est long. Je voyais les pourcentages de lecture défiler si lentement que je me suis demandé s’il n’y avait pas un problème avec le temps. Face à ce constat, j’y ai reconnu les autres avis.

MAIS

Je le mets en majuscule puisqu’il est une partie intégrante de l’histoire, IL LES VAUT !

Ces longueurs, cette durée si conséquente
Calila
Really didn't like this that much. It wasn't terrible but I had repeated issues with the plot and characters. Jake is kind of a jerk, I felt like his PTSD and Alcholism weren't taken seriously. They felt like plot point issues. Beau is fine, but he's a bit of a hypocrite. I thought the political intrigue would be more...intriguing and play a bigger part than just at the end. I dunno. Nothing really clicked for me ever.
Molli B.
3.75 stars.

This was mostly quite good. I loved both guys. I thought Jake's struggle was portrayed very well from both viewpoints. I loved the helicopter stuff and the White House stuff—the White House parties were very fun. Lane, Toby, and Daisy all made strong secondary characters.

I do feel things got a little draggy in the second half. I found myself not as into the mystery storyline as I would have liked. I thought the whole thing was pretty well integrated into the romance, but there were so
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher in exchange for an host review*

This was a very enjoyable read. It had drama, angst, suspense, mystery, romance, and was even a little steamy. I loved that the author started the story with her experiences of seeing the helicopters, and her interest in learning about them, while working at the White House. It was an educational and intriguing preface.

A mistaken invitation to a White House party sets the scene for our main chara
Brandilyn
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: four-months, read-2015, mm
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

4.5stars

EM Lynley packs a lot into her latest novel, One Marine, Hero. A lot of excitement, heat, joy, disappointment, action, and of course love.

For Complete review see Prism Book Alliance: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...

Secretobcession
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up.

IMO...perhaps not her best book to date, but it kept my interest until the very end. Sex scenes were more on the PG-13 side of things...which was kinda weird, because Ms. Lynley can write very steamy HOT sex scenes. Like when Santa brings you presents at Christmas...you might not get exactly what you wanted, but what you got was ok.
WhatAStrangeDuck
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, reviewed
Well written romance with an infusion of thriller elements. Liked it. Short review due to tiredness. *zzzzz*

Content warnings: Substance abuse.
Voluptueusement Votre

Un marine courageux relate l’histoire palpitante d’un héros des Corps et d’un journaliste mode. Écrit par EM Lynley, ce roman nous entraîne à la découverte de l’univers fascinant des Marines tout en mettant également à jour un complot majeur dont l’ampleur menace la sécurité nationale.

Je ne connaissais pas du tout l’auteure, mais j’ai trouvé son écriture attrayante, fluide avec juste ce qu’il faut de détail pour permettre au lecteur de s’immerger dans son
Plum Kreole
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Même si j'ai trouvé qu'a certains moments le texte souffrait de langueur, j'ai tout de même été happée par l'histoire qu'il nous proposait ... Un roman que j'ai dévoré en une journée ... Une fois ouvert difficile de le lâcher ...
Avant toute chose, je félicite l'auteure qui a fait un vrai et bon travail de recherche afin de rendre son histoire crédible au sein de l'univers militaire et plus spécifiquement au niveau des pilotes d'hélicoptères.
"Un marine courageux", c'est une histoire qui émerge g
Brooklyn
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
It took me a while to warm up to this couple. I just wasn't feeling it between Beau and Jake at first. They grew on me the more I read, but even through to the end, although I could see it, there was still something missing in their connection, to me at least. I loved how Beau approached Jake at the White House. Very forward. It was fun and I wasn't expecting it.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
One Marine, Hero is a romance with strong mystery elements that are a nice change of pace to the usual contemporary fare. Beau is the fashion reporter for a second-tier newspaper in DC. His hard-news job at the Post has been downsized, and he’s frankly happy to still have a newspaper job—even though it’s certainly not the one he trained for nor aspired to. Jake is a Marine pilot on the Marine One squadron, a reward for his years of service and recognition for his Medal of Honor. On the surface t ...more
Veronica of V's Reads
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Captain Jake Woodley is a marine helicopter pilot who survived a crash in Afghanistan and came home hailed as a hero. He's suffering PTSD and survivor's guilt, but doesn't seek treatment because it will ground him from active duty. He is part of the crew that pilots helicopters for the Prez, VP and press corps. He doesn't want to give this up, and instead spends his off-flight duty hours getting blind drunk. While attending a White
Bo
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally Different Than Expected

Like the cover, you won't expect the kind of Marine Jake Woodley turns out to be in this slightly offbeat, sometimes hilarious, always touching and continually surprising journey of love.

You certainly wouldn't expect him to be instantly attracted to Beau, who is portrayed as just shy of being a bit too out of the closet, but whose inner strength and determination to make his man whole again will constantly surprise you.

This was a relaxing, and very hot, read, and e
Karlijn
Beautiful written. Jake is full of guilt. Yes, he helped safe a lot of them, but he couldn't safe erveryone and that is the cause of his guilt.

Beau is an fashion reporter but want to be so much more.

The moment they lay their eyes on each other they have to connect with each other. The words Beau chooses for their first line are completely out of the blue, but oh so hilarious.

You will find angst, romance, guilt, mistakes, love, strength, conspiracies and promises in this book. You will laugh, c
Shannon
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This one seemed a little off to me. I really enjoyed their beginning and the way their relationship progressed. I didn't really understand some of the arguments or the jealousy. My main niggle is the mystery/investigation part of the book. We get a little glimpse that something may happen throughout the book but the real action doesn't start until about 80%. That's a little late to start the drama IMO. That's not the say I didn't like the book, I did. Like I said, just a bit off.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Brothers In Arms (Recon Diaries #1)
  • In His Sights (Don't Tell, #4)
  • The Intersection of Purgatory and Paradise (Least Likely Partnership, #3)
  • More Than Life
  • Bring Him Home
  • The Border
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Semper Fi
  • Beyond Honor
  • Until We Meet Once More
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1)
  • Rescued by Love
  • Because of the Brave
  • Driftwood
  • The Walls of Troy
  • Basic Training
  • Semper Fidelis
  • One Breath, One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)