Start by marking “Emergent Behavior (BOTS #1)” as Want to Read:
Emergent Behavior (BOTS #1)

Read Book

Emergent Behavior

(BOTS #1)

A robotics genius, Edmond West has developed a plan to create the world's first Artificial Intelligence truly indistinguishable from a human being. His Bots will eradicate global slavery and allow humanity to channel its darkest impulses safely, harming only these soulless machines. His greatest success, however, may also be his undoing. He's finally created the perfect hu ...more
Published August 15th 2015 by Epic Press

To ask other readers questions about Emergent Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergent Behavior

Start your review of Emergent Behavior (BOTS #1)
Easton Groskreutz
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Personal Response: In my opinion this book was incredible, and I was glad there are more books to follow. Edmond did not like slavery so he decided to do something about it. He made his own robot slave to trade out for human slaves. I also liked this book because a younger kid at the time decided to try to help people and tried to use his intelligence for good.

Plot: Edmond West grew up with his mom in California. He was always intelligent and liked to build robotics. One day at a convention, Ed
Josh
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Jessica Strider
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pros: quick, easy read, engaging, thought-provoking

Cons: limited world-building

For Parents: some swearing, mentions of prostitution and sex slavery

Edmond West is inspired by a story of human cruelty to create a new form of slave - robots. But his single-minded focus has blinded him to the potential consequences of creating robots with fully human characteristics.

This is the first of a six book series. It’s a quick read (only took me a few hours to whip through it) that introduces the protagonist
Cameron
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

The book called BOTS: Emergent Behavior is by the author Nicole M. Taylor in which it takes place around the not-so-distant future of 2035 and onward. The reason why I chose this book was because I wanted a change of scenery from fantasy to sci-fi. I adore these two subjects in stories because it gives the reader ideas of what it might be like in the far flung future or if dragons and magic were in our world. And within a story, anything is possible to be your playground to write.

In this story s
Mason Jones
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Personal Response
In this book, Bots: Emergent Behavior, Edmund built a robot and got it to think for itself. The robot is very intelligent and can do things on it's own. I thought this was a good book because he likes to tinker and so do I. I like this book because it has a lot of action and creativity.

Plot
Edmond West grew up with his mom in California. He was always intelligent and liked to build robotics. One day at a convention, Edmond brought his robot. This robot learned human interactions
Christie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really torn with this book. I love sci-fi robotics novels. BUT this one fell short a lot. Minimal dialogue, the time line was SO FAST. And then BAM it's over. It came across as super juvenile and then would randomly throw in a seriously adult idea (robots for "fucking")... aaaand then nothing was followed up on or finished. This author probably should have just combined all the separate books into one I'm going to guess. Won't be reading the next one because it wasn't really that great.
Steve Center
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raises some uncomfortable issues
Maddy Fink
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Personal Response:
Bots: Emergent Behavior is a book that has a cliffhanger as a plotline. The characters and events really draw in a reader. I read the book in two days just because I didn't want to put it down. I could really relate to the main character, Edmond West. Much like hom, I don't talk in class(unless its in Mr.Scherwinski's class). I leave the useless chat to the other kids. Being antisocial is just a part of my and Edmond's life. Bots: Emergent Behavior is the type of book that draw
Cduncan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
On page 105, the author writes, "'People want to fuck robots,' Edmond dead-panned." Up until page 105, I was questioning whether this book was too mature for middle school students. Now there is no doubt, I will not be adding this book to the middle school library. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars because up to this point I found this book well written and interesting but I did not read the entire book. I jumped to the end and read the epilogue. It seems to have an appropriate ending. It was a ...more
Trisha Perry
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Robotics prodigy Edmond West creates the first Artificial Intelligent being that people can not tell the difference between man and machine. But after hiding her for so long the government finally finds out and wants Edmond to mass produce more like her, however, Edmond knows this will just lead to the AI's enslavery, and that is when the action starts. This I believe might be a book before its time, I am hoping it is not to advanced in the science part (especially for this opening book) for tee ...more
Debby Allen
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lightweight.

Unlike King and Koontz who use way too many words, this one could have use a few more. The idea is reasonable - develop an AI and of course no one wants to use it like it's creator does, so they go on the lam. But that is all we're given - no character development, no world they inhabit, nothing else. Just the story of how inventor A got to create invention B, and just an overview of that.

This is a story proposal.
Shira
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and all I can say is WOW! It took me a bit to get into the story, the beginning seemed a bit contrived. Now I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series. This is the perfect read for anyone who is a fan of the Terminator movies, Battlestar Gallactica, or Asimov. The questions raised in this story are the cornerstone to any good science fiction story.
Micah
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
High/Low. Better than I expected it to be. Higher end vocab for high/low. Protagonist is hard to relate to. packaging for all of this publisher's YA fic shows startling lack of awareness as to what teenagers actually want. It would be a hard sell, but there is an audience for this series.
Mike
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book, imaginative plot set in the United States in the near future where BOTS (robots) play an increasingly important role in everyday day military life. The story gets really interesting when the Bots start to think for themselves. I have just start reading Book 2, Hazardous Motion.
Kenneth Abdo
Dec 11, 2015
Celia Goodell
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
pretty predictable but brought up some really good ethical questions. NOT middle school appropriate...
Valerie
Apr 08, 2016

• Eating Animals
  • Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals
  • Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama
  • Ninth Step Station: The Complete Season 1 (Ninth Step Station #1.1-1.10)
  • Being There
  • Redshirts
  • Embodied
  • Machina
  • Taxi Driver Wisdom: 20th Anniversary Edition
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Docile
  • The Vela
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Kindred
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle #4)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Trinity Sight
Nicole M. Taylor was an only child, born deep in the corn-ears of rural Michigan where she honed her talents for being supercilious, eating pop-tarts and making up strange fictional situations.

Today, she lives in San Jose with her husband and a small fetal alien named Magoo. She writes speculative fiction about witches, ghosts, robots, reptoid aliens and pianists. She also works occasionally as a

BOTS (6 books)
  • Hazardous Motion (BOTS #2)
  • The Uncanny Valley (BOTS #3)
  • Degrees of Freedom (BOTS #4)
  • Backward Chaining (BOTS #5)
  • Control Architecture (BOTS #6)