Start by marking “Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)” as Want to Read:
Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)

Split the Party

(Spells, Swords, & Stealth #2)

Fleeing from a vengeful king has sent the former NPCs across Solium’s borders, into the kingdom of Alcatham. As wanted fugitives, they head to the small farming village of Briarwillow, hoping to blend in, lay-low, and avoid trouble at all costs.

Unfortunately, Briarwillow has problems all its own, and its troubles quickly become theirs. If they hope to survive long enough
Published March 14th 2015 by Thunder Pear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Split the Party, please sign up.

Jane
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-read, 1audio, z2017

Overall I finished this story enjoying the ride, but it took waaaaaaay too long to really get going for me. I was still contemplating whether this would be a DNF at about the 50% mark. At that point, things finally picked up for me and the second half of this story was much more the adventure I was hoping the book would be. I usually find books in a series have too much recapping in the first few chapters, but this time I almost wished there was a bit more (odd, since I just finished th
Mike
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After the pure, distilled joy NPCs brought me, I was eager to dive into the next book in the series. While Split the Party (which is such a bad idea there is even a book about aptly titled Don't Split the Party) was a great, action packed read, it lacked some of the charm the first book's premise brought to the table.

In this installment our once minions turned reluctant adventurers have more or less fully embraced the mantle of adventurers and all the baggage that entails:
Eric realized how cra
Rob
Executive Summary: After a bit of a slow start, this one is as good as the first one, if not slightly better. I sure hope there will be a third book soon.

Audiobook: So here's the downside of a relatively unknown author, with an excellent narrator. The ebook of this looks have come out several months before the audio version. Roger Wayne does such a great job narrating this, that I want to keep listening if/when there is a third book. But can I hold out waiting an extra 6 months to do it?

If you'r
Kevin
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series, 4 1/2 stars, this 2nd book is better then the first the characters get more interesting and the new character's introduced are equally interesting and somewhat mysterious looking at you Fritz. I'm off to read volume three right now.
Character List
(view spoiler)
Erica
This is a delightful second installment, which says a lot since second books are often fairly weak, having come off the introduction but not yet settling into pace, flow, and characterizations.

As the story was going along, I was feeling entertained enough but never really invested. By the time I got to the end and looked back, I realized there were a lot of clever, silly, or interesting little things added to the overall story arc.

I liked that stereotypes that were ditched in the last book looke
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm in the process of reading another book by Mr. Hayes right and I've got to say I have yet to pick one up I haven't enjoyed, greatly.

Here we're following the adventures of a group of NPCs (Non-Player Characters) who have found themselves taking the part of (and ultimately becoming) "Adventurers".

This series is completely engaging for me and I find myself waiting and hoping for the next installment in the series. That is a bit odd for me as I also like his Super Powereds series and want to see
Timothy Boyd
Nice entertaining read. Humorous with good action and a nice flow to the story. A nice different fantasy story. Recommended
Jim
A good sequel, but I wish I hadn't let so much time go by after the first. I was hazy on some details that might have made it more enjoyable. I definitely recommend reading them in order. There's definitely some character development. Fun characters, too.

This follows NPC (Non Playing Characters) who took up a quest. They're not real to us (or are they?) but NPCs in a D&D world. There's a really cute girl playing the Barbarian & the others are often just as strange, but really good.

It wa
May Dawney
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Another intriguing story that elevated that of the first book! Newly introduced characters and knowledge about the PC NPC's works well. Once more, the story feels like something I could have played myself--which is awesome!
Jakk Makk
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: try the print version
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Audiobook DNF is an automatic one star. Ran out of library time despite eight listening attempts. It's probably fine.
Mary Catelli
The sequel to NPCs. More RPG influence. . .and spoilers for the first.

In our world, Russell is continuing to DM with a new group of players (except for the continuing Tim). A better set. One cleverly persuades Tim that his paladin would choose a different adventure hook, because of the greater number of people menaced. (Meanwhile, Russell is taking notes because last time, he thought the module rewrote itself.) But they're off, and one observes that Tim's original pick will be done with before t
Nicole
Very enjoyable book! I'm really looking forward to the next books in the series.

I was a bit sad that the narrator changed the voice for Grumble, though I wasn't surprised to hear a voice very like Grumble's original voice used for another associated character toward the end of the book. I don't know if this was intentional, but I suspect it was accidental.

In any case, this is a very fun story and I'm interested to see where the plot takes us next.

(Full review is here.)
Melissa Jane
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loads of fun in this LitRPG romp with a unique group of NPC turned adventurers. The MC's grow into their characters quite a bit in this book with a few new additions to the cast that are just as great as the original four. Loved the unexpected twists to the normal quests found in typical stories in this genre. Really enjoying this series and recommend to fantasy / LitRPG lovers.
Kira
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second installment in this series was fabulous. Highly recommended to nerds everywhere <3
Crowlyeh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was definitely better than the first one. While it is story driven, we got to know the characters a little better as they got to know themselves better too. I really liked it :)
Miles
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was 3.5 throughout but had a heartfelt 4.5☆ ending.
Ron Versetto
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful follow-up to NPCs. No sooner had I completed NPCs did I then jump immediately into the follow-up tale which finds our beloved and reluctant heroes knee deep into another adventure.

Drew Hayes picks up the second book in the series almost right where we left our 5 adventurers while symmetrically following up with Russel and Tim to see how they responded to the bizarre events that concluded in NPCs.

In Split the Party we find the band of five heroes in the midst of another D&D l
Samantha
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Frankie Saxx
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a solid three to three point five stars. I enjoy this series, and I'll keep reading it, but it's not one I would rave about at a dinner party or to strangers on the bus. Like a crazy woman.

The NPCs are good, solid characters, and I enjoy their adventures. Hayes constructs a solid, engaging story and delivers a satisfying ending. Which is all a girl really needs in her escapist literature.
Rick Stuckwisch
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging and entertaining. I'm glad the story has been continued, and I look forward to the next installment. Some of the language would not be appropriate for younger readers or listeners, but so far nothing risque or explicit. Good fun, especially for anyone with D&D in their background.
Doug
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A few years ago I ran across a novel. I don't know if it was from a Kindle, end of book "other readers who read this novel read these...", if I found it here on Goodreads or if it was by pure accident. I do know that I enjoyed it immensly. It was NPC's by author Drew Hayes.

A very fun premise. Non-Playable Characters from a tabletop, role-playing game (much like Dungeons and Dragons) decide that they have to take on the mantle of the "real world" adventurers that just died in the tavern they were
Nathaniel
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I do not like the Spells, Swords, and Stealth series as much as The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant series, but it's a close second. As I write this review, I've already started the third book in the series, Going Rogue, which is picking up the pace again.

The first book had a great concept and--what I always appreciate from Hayes--a cast of caring misfits. His books have heart.

The second book (this one) lost me a little bit. It kept up the story arc
Casia Courtier
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
After listening to the first book in the Spells, Swords and Stealth series, I jumped into buying the second one. I did listen to a few other books before jumping into this audiobook and I am glad for the wait . . . kind of.

I mean, is it great that I waited only to want to jump into the third book (I haven't . . . yet). I had a serious bout of audiobook hangover. I wanted to read another fantasy right away, but I didn't want to pursue the third book because there isn't another one out there yet.
Graham Bennett
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful followup to NPCs. If you’ve ever played D&D, or any D&D-like tabletop roleplaying game, you’ll probably enjoy these books. They are the novel equivalent of a summer action movie — entertaining and fun above all else. That said, there are some emotional moments, primarily whenever Thistle is remembering something from his past. Those moments caught me off guard in the absolute best way. As a 30-something who is focused on his marriage, Thistle’s story really resonates ...more
Adrienne
After we finished NPCs (the first book in the Spells, Swords, & Stealth series), Split the Party was an immediate purchase. It did not disappoint either, as it built upon the world and characters laid out previously and continued to flesh them out.

The story this time follows our band of former NPCs as they investigate a mysterious illness in the town of Briarwillow, only to find out a much more nefarious plot is at work. They have no choice but to split up in order to overcome the new obstac
Brendan Coster
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another solid, straightforward, RPG campaign with steady NPC's cum Adventurers has your main heroes instead of insane players "ruining" the game. Which I think is (I'm already onto book 3) one of the themes being developed - basically a D&D campaign but part of it was run by AI's - has players make sub-omptimal choices along the way the 'slow and steady' AI would basically slog through the campaign to handle what happens. Or, as I started with, this book is almost masturbatory - that is a DM ...more
Nella
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerdy-stuff
These books continue to be leagues more delightful than they have any right to be. Hayes continues to to introduce what could easily be (and in most other works usually are) boring and done and slightly offensive, and just has fun with it instead. In this book there is, for example, a female character introduced who was kind of mean, and I feared that she was going to turn into a stereotypical bitchy and demonised character, for god forbidd girls are anything other and nice. But she isn't! She's ...more
Deanna Lack
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Synia
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one is a really solid read, just like the first one. Although it lacks the novelty of the original NPCs premise and forgot it was an adventure-comedy at some point, what replaces the jokes is a surprisingly touching tale about good versus evil and power versus exploitation. I remember actually holding my breath when the secret behind the Paladin's dreams was unraveled. Even though it's been a few weeks, I still sometimes pause and think of certain passages in my mind.

Most of this one revol
Andy Simmons
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a surprisingly good book. I assumed that it would be weaker than the first book in the series as that one set up the concept of the minions becoming player characters. I was wrong. If anything, this is a better book.

I won’t write about the plot of the book but the characters are caught up in a very interesting story whilst the “real world” group continue their adventures. The main plot is excellent and the characters involved are all marvellous. Grumph really comes into his own as a magi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Critical Failures II: Fail Harder
  • The Dungeoneers (The Dungeoneers, #1)
  • The Prophecy Con (Rogues of the Republic, #2)
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • Stuff and Nonsense (Threadbare #1)
  • No Cure for the Paladin Blues (The Order of the Stick, #2)
  • The Heavenly Host (Demons of Astlan, #2)
  • Morningwood
  • An Unwelcome Quest (Magic 2.0, #3)

Spells, Swords, & Stealth (4 books)
  • NPCs (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #1)
  • Going Rogue (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #3)
  • Siege Tactics (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #4)
“Not every situation has a perfect solution; often, you just have to take your pick from the array of poor choices spread out before you.” 0 likes
“Bandit or demon, human or beast, none of it made any difference. The bandits had made this a situation of predators and prey. Only living mattered. Everything else was nothing more than an afterthought.” 0 likes