Start by marking “Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)” as Want to Read:
Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)

Split the Party

(Spells, Swords, & Stealth #2)

Fleeing from a vengeful king has sent the former NPCs across Solium’s borders, into the kingdom of Alcatham. As wanted fugitives, they head to the small farming village of Briarwillow, hoping to blend in, lay-low, and avoid trouble at all costs.

Unfortunately, Briarwillow has problems all its own, and its troubles quickly become theirs. If they hope to survive long enough
Published March 14th 2015 by Thunder Pear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Split the Party, please sign up.

Start your review of Split the Party (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2)
Jane
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1audio, audio-read, z2017

Overall I finished this story enjoying the ride, but it took waaaaaaay too long to really get going for me. I was still contemplating whether this would be a DNF at about the 50% mark. At that point, things finally picked up for me and the second half of this story was much more the adventure I was hoping the book would be. I usually find books in a series have too much recapping in the first few chapters, but this time I almost wished there was a bit more (odd, since I just finished th
Mike
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After the pure, distilled joy NPCs brought me, I was eager to dive into the next book in the series. While Split the Party (which is such a bad idea there is even a book about aptly titled Don't Split the Party) was a great, action packed read, it lacked some of the charm the first book's premise brought to the table.

In this installment our once minions turned reluctant adventurers have more or less fully embraced the mantle of adventurers and all the baggage that entails:
Eric realized how c
Rob
Executive Summary: After a bit of a slow start, this one is as good as the first one, if not slightly better. I sure hope there will be a third book soon.

Audiobook: So here's the downside of a relatively unknown author, with an excellent narrator. The ebook of this looks have come out several months before the audio version. Roger Wayne does such a great job narrating this, that I want to keep listening if/when there is a third book. But can I hold out waiting an extra 6 months to do it?

If you'r
Kevin
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series, 4 1/2 stars, this 2nd book is better then the first the characters get more interesting and the new character's introduced are equally interesting and somewhat mysterious looking at you Fritz. I'm off to read volume three right now.
Character List
(view spoiler)
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm in the process of reading another book by Mr. Hayes right and I've got to say I have yet to pick one up I haven't enjoyed, greatly.

Here we're following the adventures of a group of NPCs (Non-Player Characters) who have found themselves taking the part of (and ultimately becoming) "Adventurers".

This series is completely engaging for me and I find myself waiting and hoping for the next installment in the series. That is a bit odd for me as I also like his Super Powereds series and want to see
Erica
This is a delightful second installment, which says a lot since second books are often fairly weak, having come off the introduction but not yet settling into pace, flow, and characterizations.

As the story was going along, I was feeling entertained enough but never really invested. By the time I got to the end and looked back, I realized there were a lot of clever, silly, or interesting little things added to the overall story arc.

I liked that stereotypes that were ditched in the last book looke
Timothy Boyd
Nice entertaining read. Humorous with good action and a nice flow to the story. A nice different fantasy story. Recommended
Jim
A good sequel, but I wish I hadn't let so much time go by after the first. I was hazy on some details that might have made it more enjoyable. I definitely recommend reading them in order. There's definitely some character development. Fun characters, too.

This follows NPC (Non Playing Characters) who took up a quest. They're not real to us (or are they?) but NPCs in a D&D world. There's a really cute girl playing the Barbarian & the others are often just as strange, but really good.

It was slower
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars

I really enjoyed this one, too! I would say this one is a LOT slower than the previous book. But there's still a lot to enjoy! The series is more like a campaign and not just a (single) game.

I especially loved Grumph (view spoiler)

While it was certainly rather slow, it was interesting enough that Hubby decided he wanted to read the rest of it with me even though I was 1/2 way through
Soo
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

I've become a fan of Roger Wayne's narration! He does a great job and makes the story come to life in my ears. =)

- Really cool twists & fun takes on well tried fantasy adventures.
- The characters came together & were much more approachable, relatable & alive in this book.
Lauren Stoolfire
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is so delightful! I'm so glad I stumbled upon the audiobooks narrated by Roger Wayne on Libby. I hope the wait for book 3, Going Rogue, won't be too long.
May Dawney
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Another intriguing story that elevated that of the first book! Newly introduced characters and knowledge about the PC NPC's works well. Once more, the story feels like something I could have played myself--which is awesome!
Love of Hopeless Causes
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: try the print version
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Audiobook DNF is an automatic one star. Ran out of library time despite eight listening attempts. It's probably fine.
Ann-Marie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rating is for the audio book version.
What a fun ride this was. While I enjoyed the first book in the series, "NPCs," this second book sealed the deal for me, and I am now a Drew Hayes fan.
Anyone who has done and serious tabletop rpg'ing will appreciate the serious attention and respect the author gives to the genre.
Roger Wayne's narration is straightforward, his characterization is distinctive. I loved it.
Mary Catelli
The sequel to NPCs. More RPG influence. . .and spoilers for the first.

In our world, Russell is continuing to DM with a new group of players (except for the continuing Tim). A better set. One cleverly persuades Tim that his paladin would choose a different adventure hook, because of the greater number of people menaced. (Meanwhile, Russell is taking notes because last time, he thought the module rewrote itself.) But they're off, and one observes that Tim's original pick will be done with before t
Alex
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
As with the first book, I feel like I would get more out of this story were I an RPG player. As I am not, I do miss out on the references, and possibly a lot of the inside jokes and tropes. (To put things into perspective, I'm the sort of reader that had to google "paladin". I know next to nothing about RPGs).

However, I do appreciate that Hayes wrote this from two viewpoints, because it would feel very unnatural if the characters who should know certain information, suddenly stood up and explai
Nicole
Very enjoyable book! I'm really looking forward to the next books in the series.

I was a bit sad that the narrator changed the voice for Grumble, though I wasn't surprised to hear a voice very like Grumble's original voice used for another associated character toward the end of the book. I don't know if this was intentional, but I suspect it was accidental.

In any case, this is a very fun story and I'm interested to see where the plot takes us next.

(Full review is here.)
Melissa Jane
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loads of fun in this LitRPG romp with a unique group of NPC turned adventurers. The MC's grow into their characters quite a bit in this book with a few new additions to the cast that are just as great as the original four. Loved the unexpected twists to the normal quests found in typical stories in this genre. Really enjoying this series and recommend to fantasy / LitRPG lovers.
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-audio
While Roger Wayne does have a sexy voice, he is IMO not the best choice for narrating the kind of books he usually does. He needs a variety of voices to truly show off his skill, and if there is some humor to be had, all the better. I still think his performance as John Charming is his best work, but he does great with this RPG fantasy series, too. Every character is distinct, and he delivers the sometimes over dramatic lines in a way that works very well for me.
Love this party of heroes, and en
Kira
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The second installment in this series was fabulous. Highly recommended to nerds everywhere <3 ...more
Crowlyeh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was definitely better than the first one. While it is story driven, we got to know the characters a little better as they got to know themselves better too. I really liked it :)
Mer
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mer by: Goodreads series list
A completely different plot and some new characters to the mix but the author has done another amazing job of making them worth wanting to follow.
Ron Versetto
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful follow-up to NPCs. No sooner had I completed NPCs did I then jump immediately into the follow-up tale which finds our beloved and reluctant heroes knee deep into another adventure.

Drew Hayes picks up the second book in the series almost right where we left our 5 adventurers while symmetrically following up with Russel and Tim to see how they responded to the bizarre events that concluded in NPCs.

In Split the Party we find the band of five heroes in the midst of another D&D like
Samantha
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Frankie Saxx
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a solid three to three point five stars. I enjoy this series, and I'll keep reading it, but it's not one I would rave about at a dinner party or to strangers on the bus. Like a crazy woman.

The NPCs are good, solid characters, and I enjoy their adventures. Hayes constructs a solid, engaging story and delivers a satisfying ending. Which is all a girl really needs in her escapist literature.
Rick Stuckwisch
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Engaging and entertaining. I'm glad the story has been continued, and I look forward to the next installment. Some of the language would not be appropriate for younger readers or listeners, but so far nothing risque or explicit. Good fun, especially for anyone with D&D in their background. ...more
Paula
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved NPC, and it just gets better in this book. The plot is more intricate and we get more character development. I love this path of adventurers. I think I am ready to jump back into tabletop RPGs again because these books remind me how much I used to love them.
Miles
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was 3.5 throughout but had a heartfelt 4.5☆ ending.
Timelord Iain
Even better than the first one...
Doug
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A few years ago I ran across a novel. I don't know if it was from a Kindle, end of book "other readers who read this novel read these...", if I found it here on Goodreads or if it was by pure accident. I do know that I enjoyed it immensly. It was NPC's by author Drew Hayes.

A very fun premise. Non-Playable Characters from a tabletop, role-playing game (much like Dungeons and Dragons) decide that they have to take on the mantle of the "real world" adventurers that just died in the tavern they were

• Blackfog Island (The Dungeoneers, #2)
  • Critical Failures VIII (Caverns and Creatures Book 8)
  • Dungeon Madness (The Divine Dungeon, #2)
  • The Dungeoneers (The Dungeoneers, #1)
  • Critical Failures II: Fail Harder
  • Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)
  • Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon, #4)
  • Dungeon Eternium (The Divine Dungeon, #5)
  • Dungeon Calamity (The Divine Dungeon, #3)
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #4)
  • Raze (The Completionist Chronicles, #3)
  • Critical Failures
  • Dungeoneers: Mazerynth (The Dungeoneers Book 4)
  • Castle of the Noobs (Noobtown, #3)
  • Regicide (The Completionist Chronicles, #2)
  • The Lost Temple of Ssis'sythyss (The Dungeoneers #3)
  • Critical Failures IV
  • Ascend Online (Ascend Online, #1)

Spells, Swords, & Stealth (4 books)
  • NPCs (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #1)
  • Going Rogue (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #3)
  • Siege Tactics (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #4)