Start by marking “Alt.History 101 (The Future Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
Alt.History 101 (The Future Chronicles)

Alt.History 101

(Alt.Chronicles)

The future is history... From Samuel Peralta, creator of the #1 bestselling Future Chronicles anthology series, comes a new speculative anthology series that turns the world you know upside down.

In Alt.History 101, thirteen top speculative fiction authors re-imagine the world - as one where the inventor of the smallpox vaccine died before he'd created it, as one where the
Published July 31st 2015 by Windrift Books

To ask other readers questions about Alt.History 101, please sign up.
Asteropê Here's the summaries for each, copied from the book -
Les Meduses (Stacy Ericson)
What if the Ming Dynasty's armada turned their sights on invasion,…more
Here's the summaries for each, copied from the book -
Les Meduses (Stacy Ericson)
What if the Ming Dynasty's armada turned their sights on invasion, instead of disbanding? Well cared for, but socially outcast, an executioner's daughter dreams of a quiet life, planning to run away on the eve of her father's triumph, Anne Boleyn's execution. Can we escape our fate? Or does it follow us even when the world shifts in it course?

Unnatural (Ann Christy)
What if Pope John Paul the First hadn't died after just a month as Pope? While the world waited for Papal opinion on the birth of the world's first test tube baby, this Pope stepped into office and then mysteriously died shortly afterward. What might his judgement have been and how might it have changed all that came afterward?

Old Ventures, New Partners (Nicolas Wilson)
What if the assassination of John F. Kennedy was a smokescreen for a Russian grab for technology? Hugh Howard's design for a man-portable spaceship could shape not only the space race, but the nature of the cold war as well. With the fate of his country and the world in the balance, what can one man with a steel suit do?

Concerns of the Second Sex (Pavarti K. Tyler)
What if the women's suffragist movement lost their battle for the right to vote? Women never entered the workforce during the World Wars, creating a class of immigrant workers lacking the rights insisted on by the unionizing and anti-child labor movements. Years later, civil rights are a luxury afforded only to the elite free white male ruling class.

Renegat (Logan Thomas Snyder)
A nuclear exchange between the Soviet Union and the United States at the height of the Cold War annihilates one superpower and leaves another struggling to piece itself back together. One year later, a Russo-American internment camp inmate and an American solider discover the best and worst of humanity in the world’s ashes—as well as each other.

108 Stitches (Tony Bertauski)
In the late 70s, an untimely accident turns Steve Wozniak’s focus on medical technology instead of personal computers. With the help of Drs. James Till and Ernset McCulloch, a synthetic stem cell becomes the perfect biological solution to genetic deficiencies and bodily harm. New arms and legs can be printed; brainsculpting can correct behavioral problems. With the power to control our bodies and minds, has utopia arrived?

Rengoku (Sam Best)
After winning the Battle of Midway in the second great world war, the Imperial Japanese Army pursue victory by beginning construction of an atom bomb. A sniper team, remnant of an American troop sent to prevent that from occurring, are cut off from their command for two years, but continues its mission. One day, they are finally able to repair their radio gear, and the signal they receive will send them through rengoku, the purgatory of the past two years of bloody war, and into a world changed forever.

The Sun Never Sets (Anthea Sharp)
What if a Victorian amateur astronomer discovers a new comet…that isn’t a comet at all? The course of the British Empire is changed forever one summer afternoon in 1850, when an alien craft lands on the lawns of Buckingham Palace.

The Factory (Michelle Browne)
What if slavery never died out? Martha and Juniper slave away as cogs in a cruel engine. But Juniper has a secret that could break the machine--for good.

Natural (Peter Cawdron)
What would the world look like if Edward Jenner died prematurely before developing a vaccine for smallpox? What if having a sniffle could signal the onset of a cold or crippling polio? What if the tables were turned and instead of anti-vaccine campaigners there were anti-naturalists—people advocating for medicine to extend the natural bounds of life beyond the age of forty? What if our world today seemed like a dream, a life too good to be true?

Eighth Amendment (Thomas Robins)
What if the death penalty was legal, but all methods of execution had been ruled inhumane? Lance Johnson knows, he’s been released from prison without any rights as a human being. There are those who can help, but Lance finds out the help comes with strings attached--strings he cannot cut loose.

A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel (Ken Liu)
At the height of the Great Depression, Emperor Hirohito of Japan proposed a breath-taking engineering project to be undertaken jointly by Japan and the United States: an undersea tunnel to connect Asia with North America. Years later, as the last of the Formosan tunnel-diggers, Charlie, courts an American woman, Betty, certain long-buried memories of that grand project threaten to resurface.

Agents of Change (Zig Zag Claybourne)
When the clock itself is god, who keeps it running? Where alternate histories come from often depends on where one agent is going.(less)

Will Swardstrom
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What if?
If anyone has regrets in life -- and who doesn’t? -- the phrase “what if?” is a constant. As humans we look back at key moments and wonder what would have happened if we had done something differently. Inherently this is a major part of time travel stories, exploring revising the past to gain a better hand on the future.
But...what if something had actually been different? What if I had told Jessica I liked her when I was in the fifth grade? What if I had studied more for that important
Lynda Dickson
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Please note this review is only for "Concerns of the Second Sex" by Pavarti K. Tyler.

In a society where women haven't been emancipated, fourteen-year-old Helen, the seventh daughter of Master Calvin's seventh wife, is considered "unmarriable". In her culture, interracial relationships are forbidden and women are born to breed - they are not educated, aren't allowed to read, can't play games of strategy such as chess, and can't even wear pants. With no marriage prospects, Helen now faces the opti
Rikke
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I adore above all else in this awesome collection, is the premise, that no matter what place, time or circumstances each story offers a new take on history, and thus life as we know it. What if.. Genghis Khan had been the Emperor of China, thus adding Europe and the Americas to a grand Chinese empire? What if.. The Catholic Church endorsed in vitro fertilization? How would that impact life as we know it? What if...

If you too are prone to wondering how life came to be, as it is, and what mig
Colby
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alt.History 101 is a class I'd sign up for every day. Ever sit around with a brilliant bunch of writers and philosophers and wonder "What if?" You can with this great collection of stories. It is a solid collection of stories all the way through, but it really finishes strong. The last few were some of my favorites. This was a fun, whimsical, and sometimes frightening read.

Les Meduses: Very well written. The characters, especially the narrator, really pop. An interesting premise for sure.

Unnatur
Patricia Gilliam
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book that I think will appeal to both sci-fi and history fans.
Jason
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Overall this is a masterful collection of inspired writing about different periods of time and how subtle changes can have major impacts. There are some fascinating stories below, each attempting to give you a different perspective on our reality. This a really good collection of stories and is well worth the effort. Below is a short summary of each of the individual books. But if you love something that is different and will test the mind a bit, do yourself a favour and have a go....

Les Meduses
Tarek Taha
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
What if? It's the question when asked on a large historical scale that could make your head spin. Alt.history asks this question in several short stories by different writers. The stories are nice and engaging and leave the reader with a feeling that the world would have been a totally different place if things went different direction.
Debbie
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alternative history is a fascinating niche in fiction. It’s also a specific one, where the success of a story depends on altering a clearly defined moment in history and projecting the possible results. Whether the change made is a small one or a large one, it should be clear to the reader, preferably without the need to consult a history text. In this respect, I felt a few of the stories in this anthology missed the mark.

I found all of them to be interesting and entertaining, aside from the al
Dale Rutter
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seamus
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some stories on this one are amazing!
See Ann Christy, Thomas Robins, Anthea Sharp, Ken Liu & Peter Cawdron - the last one is very sad, but thought provoking.

Others were either so so, or in one case I just stopped reading!
Dymphna
12. A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel by Ken Liu 2/5
13. Agents of Change
Quinn
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I'm a big fan of Alternate History as a genre, so I was predisposed to enjoy this. But it surprised me as well because so many of the stories were... well... different. They're not all departures from a single point of change, but they are all (with one glorious exception) plausible alternate worlds.

An excellent collection.
Emily
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Hit or Miss

A few great stories here. A few filler stories as well. In fact, I put it down and came back to it when I had nothing else to read, twice. Glad I finished it. Some of the better stories were in the latter half of the book.
shannon  Stubbs
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good bunch

Sometimes you just want to read a short story. This one has some good ones and a few not too great. But I did find some good reads for later.
Jim Kratzok
Decent collection

This collection of alternate history short stories was worth reading but some of the works left me unsatisfied. That may be by design however.
Charles Biederbeck
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like alternative fiction.
Luci
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Some really solid hits and some misses. I really enjoyed the last two stories. Fun reading.
rosemary mccay
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eclectic

Great mix of alternate history stories. Recommended for anyone who enjoys this particular sub-genre and or the short story format.
Dustin
This was about average for a short story collection. A couple of the stories I really enjoyed but most were in the "ehhh, that was ok" range.
Norma
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A themed anthology such as this one is always a delight - if the writers are good. And these are all good, some even very good. Yes, there is the odd typo, words or letters wrongly inserted, missed or, occasionally, misused (as in 'there' instead of 'their'). But these are very minor distractions.

I am not going to outline each individual story, others have already done so too well for me to repeat this, but one of the joys of the anthology is to see how wildly different each author's interpretat
Kristin Dutt
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What if history wasn't told as it was in history books? What if in a alternate world things went down differently? In this book you see many different outcomes from multiple authors. I truly was impressed with some of the research done to make their stories accurate with a different outcome. Really changes up history!

Each author tells a different story and wow some of them are just awesome. Some I didn't care for but the ones I loved made up for the ones I wasn't as into. Still all these authors
Gina Smith
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fabulous collection of short story in a genre I have never read before. What an interesting concept to use the basis of true events and create a possible alternative scenario. I found the stories to be well written, interesting, and the book was hard to put down.

I think my favorite story was Concerns of the Second Sex. This story presents what may have happened if women were still largely second class citizens, and how few options they may have had open to them. It really made me
Suzan
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
A good idea, poor execution. The stories here have their interest, but they mostly are alternate history in the most peripheral sense. Few do a thoughtful or readable job about the EFFECT of the change in "historical fact." They either end with the change; treat it superficially; do it woodenly; or end with no real point made. None of it remotely as well done as The Man in the High Castle or Fatherland. Perhaps this is a subject not suited for the short story. This feels like a bunch of authors ...more
J.J. Brown
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Would you change one thing in the past, if you could? Speculative fiction writers ask "What If?" for a mind-bending exercise of imagination in each of the short stories of this new, great collection from Samuel Peralta. Every contributing writer's style is different, and the stories take on different issues in varied periods of history. I enjoyed the challenge of exploring strange new worlds in this anthology.I highly recommend the book to stimulate new thoughts on how history shapes society.
Bookphile
3.5 stars, due to overall unevenness. Some of the stories were fantastic while others were not so much my cup of tea, and they stretched the boundaries of the topic. I do like a good mix like this, though, and I did find several authors I was unfamiliar with, but whose works I now intend to check out.
James Ronan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alternate History

For me that about sums it up. Add Harry Turtledove name to the mix and I am hooked. I enjoyed almost every story in this book. I mean I really enjoyed them. I just added 102 Alt History to my wish list. Buy it, read it, chuckle out loud, groan, have a great evening!
Susan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is particularly popular due to the nature of my job. I am a nurse and like to read to my patients. This is a great book for alot of my patients and gives an alternate history for many events of the 20th century.
Catherine
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of short stories, set in alternate futures from alternate histories.
Heidi
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Both Anthologies are really good: so many different voices and all thought provoking. I enjoyed it and was exposed to some new authors as well as to their recommendations and influences.
Nevermore
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
The danger with anthologies is feeling that the stories are uneven...you can't please everyone all of the time.

• The Harbinger: Books 1 - 4
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Into Everywhere
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • The Onset (Contamination #1)
  • The Forever Gate 2 (The Forever Gate #2)
  • The Time Travel Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • The Trilisk Hunt (Parker Interstellar Travels, #4)
  • The Citadel of Weeping Pearls
  • Precious Dragon (Detective Inspector Chen, #3)
  • Wizard's Moon
  • Engraved on the Eye
Samuel Peralta is a physicist and storyteller.

Known primarily for his short fiction, he is also a novelist, the author of "The Zoo at the End of the World", and the creator and series editor of the acclaimed "Future Chronicles" speculative anthologies, numbering a score of bestselling titles.

Peralta's writing has been spotlighted in Best American Poetry, selected for Best American Science Fictio
“What kind of world is it, where to make an account of herself, a woman must first describe a man? I would it were not so, but” 0 likes
“she could only hope these visitors from the stars were as benign and enlightened as the British explorers who landed upon heathen islands, bringing civilization and enlightenment to the poor natives on faraway shores.” 0 likes