Start by marking “Ash Island (The Belltree Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ash Island (The Belltree Trilogy, #2)

Ash Island

(The Belltree Trilogy #2)

Detective Sergeant Harry Belltree, back on the job after a near-fatal confrontation with corrupt colleagues, has become a departmental embarrassment. The solution is a posting away from Sydney and a quiet life in Newcastle.

Published September 23rd 2015 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ash Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash Island

Paromjit
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an Aussie set thriller, a sequel to the wonderful Crucifixion Creek which I adored. Indigenous Detective Harry Belltree is back, suffering from trauma as he barely made it out alive in the last book. Seen as an embarrassment, he has now been transferred to Newcastle. Life is not easy here but Harry and his now pregnant wife, Jenny, are making an effort to settle in. Harry is intending to look into the car crash that killed his parents and left Jenny blind. Kelly Pool, the journalist, has ...more
Brenda
After the events of Crucifixion Creek Detective Sergeant Harry Belltree was posted to Newcastle – away from the embarrassment he had caused his Sydney colleagues; Newcastle was the “bush outpost” where nothing much happened – or so they thought. Harry’s wife Jenny and her new dog Felecia accompanied Harry to their new rental in Carrington; a quiet place Jenny was growing to love. With the help of Felecia, she was finding her way around, growing familiar with the area.

The Hunter Valley was also w
Marianne
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ash Island is the second book in The Belltree Trilogy and the fifteenth novel by Scots-born Australian author, architect and urban design expert, Barry Maitland. After the shocking events at Crucifixion Creek deem him an embarrassment to his Sydney station, DS Harry Belltree is sent to Newcastle. While his colleagues there make him less than welcome, he and Jenny, now pregnant, try to settle in. Closer, too, to the site of the car crash that blinded Jenny and killed Justice Danny Belltree and hi ...more
Petra
Ash Island is the second book in Barry Maitland's Belltree trilogy featuring Sydney homicide Detective Sergeant Harry Belltree. This starts off shortly after the events of Crucifixion Creek. They should ideally be read in order as there is a plot line that continues throughout the trilogy.
In Ash Island, Harry discovers more information about the road traffic accident that killed his parents and left his wife, Jenny, blind. Following the events in Crucifixion Creek, Harry has been transferred to
Text Publishing
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, australian, crime
Harry Belltree is back again in another thriller from the pen of hard-boiled crime master Barry Maitland. And the pace hasn’t dampened for this Sydney homicide detective who just knows how to court danger.

This is the second in the Belltree Trilogy after Crucifixion Creek (Shortlisted, Ned Kelly Awards, Best Crime Novel, 2015), in which Harry went off-grid investigating his brother-in-law Greg’s death and things got ugly.

And here life isn't getting any easier for Harry. But there's no point get
Mish
This novel is the second book in The Belltree Trilogy, and the reason I gave it 3* was partly my fault. I got lost along the way.

Ash Island is a direct continuation from Crucifixion Creek. After Harry Belltree’s release from hospital, he was strongly advised to relocate from Sydney. Harry decided to move to Newcastle, the location not far from where his parents were killed – or murdered actually – and Harry secret agenda is to find his parents killer. On duty, Harry and his partner Ross Bramley
LJ
First Sentence: On a November night in 2013, two kilometers off the coast of New South Wales, a helicopter rises from the deck of a Chinese bulk carrier ship.

Det. Sgt. Harry Belltree has been reassigned to Newcastle, Australia. With him is his wife, pregnant and blinded from an auto accident which also killed his parents. Yet on the job, a corpse has been found, which turns out to be one of many and, Harry suspect, related to the car accident.

Maitland does provide excellent descriptions and ana
Simona
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t wait to read bk 3
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian, crime, ebook
The second in the Harry Belltree trilogy, events in ASH ISLAND follow closely on from CRUCIFIXION CREEK. Short-listed for the 2015 Ned Kelly Awards CRUCIFIXION CREEK set up a different character for Maitland to work with in Australian, Indigenous Detective Harry Belltree. There is still, however, that use of a defining geographical location as is always the case in any of Maitland's novels - in this case much of the action centres around Newcastle's Ash Island.

Considerably more action orientate
Craig Sisterson
Sydney detective Harry Belltree has been banished to the backblocks after uncovering political and police corruption in Australia’s biggest city. But his personal hunt for the truth behind the accident that killed his parents and blinded his wife continues in this action-packed sequel to Crucifixion Creek.

Maitland crafts an entertaining, action-packed read with a distinctive hero, flavored with organized crime, biker gangs, drug rings, corporate skullduggery, and aboriginal land rights. Back-st
Ron Brown
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I unfortunately read the Belltree trilogy out of order. 1, 3 and then 2. Ash Island is two. Wrong move. I would strongly suggest that your read them in order, there is much cross referencing.
I live in Newcastle and drive past Ash Island every weekday so I was expecting Maitland to capture the feel and vibe of Newcastle. It's neighbourhood blend of old and new. The timber workingman cottages throughout the inner city with the commercial development of Honeysuckle. The cities reliance on coal. How
A Reader's Heaven

Or maybe not so quiet. A body’s been found buried just offshore on Ash Island; there may be more. There’s also Harry’s unfinished business. The car crash that killed his parents and blinded
Mark Stewart
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well the pace certainly doesn't let up with the second of the Beltree trilogy. This one stands less well on it's own and I certainly wouldn't recommend reading any of this series out of order. Harry Beltree remains unpredictable both for the other characters and the reader as well! As with Crucifixion Creek there's some genuine brutality not found in other Barry Maitland books and the whole tone is coarser and a bit more desperate than the refined bonsai living DCI Brock. But it's certainly refr ...more
Vicki Deakin
Jun 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: crime
Pam
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Belltree's life is pretty messed up; it doesn't get better in this book. But Harry never quits, and that is both good and bad for him. His wife is blind and 4 months pregnant. His parents are dead from the accident that also took his wife's eyesight. And his buddies in Sydney don't want him around anymore after Crucifixion Creek, so they send him to Newcastle. But the past has a funny way of coming back, and events happen that get Harry thinking about his parents, and Jenny's memories are ...more
Ann Tonks
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Harry Beltree is in the tradition of the great American PIs. He is actually a police office but as he seems to often be on leave, or stood down, of doing his own thing, it's hard to think of this book as a police procedural per se. He's smart and engaging and finds trouble easily. His wife, although a slightly more distant figure in this part of the trilogy, is equally interesting - blind but doing most of the back work for Harry on the web. The story line has lots of corruption cross-overs betw ...more
Peter Anderson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
TWO DOWN AND ONE TO GO...

Barry Maitland's "Harry Belltree" series is just riveting. The books move along at a fast pace and keep your interest at a high state.

WARNING! Don't read this book unless you have read "Crucifixion Creek" (book 1 of the series) first. "Ash Island" is a very good read but you will get much more enjoyment out of these books if you read them in order and close together in time.

As soon as I finish this review I will start "Slaughter Park" (book 3).

Highly recommend,
Peter
Any Length
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
a suitable second book in this trilogy. However, I found the writing stilted and at times felt like large chunks of the book were missing as important bits were just left out. And I was NOT reading an abridged version. Especially the ending leaves a lot to be desired. It felt unfinished and left too many questions open. I will read the last one in this series, but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy it. I am getting the audio version from the library and thus I am not putting myself out to ...more
Jeremy Warner
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to read the first book in the trilogy to capture needed info. This is definitely one of a set, with references that are not complete in themselves. But a very good read and angst and anxiety filled.

There is so much I don't know about the place and I wish that the author, Barry Maitland, had spent more time fleshing out the details of the Australian land. But I will read more; he's good.
Robyn Gibson
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harry Belltree has been shifted to Newcastle. I've lived in Newcastle area most of my life and I can see vividly the places Barry Maitland describes. I've driven past Ash Island hundreds of times but I'm sure now I'll see it through different eyes. Very exciting, couldn't put it down, great story, but the end?!!
Bob
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed most of the book

Well written with an interesting plot but the ending is very disappointing. An implausible boomerang bullet that hits a person standing behind the person with the gun, followed by a contrived set up for the next book that is equally implausible. I won’t be investing any more time or money in this series.
MaryAnn
The story was just ok for most of the book. Then I got closer to the end and it sped up considerably. Along the way, I tried to piece together what happened in the first book, since I haven't read it yet. Lots of dead bodies, but the reader is left hanging at the end, waiting for the third novel in this series.
Steve Payne
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't really like the ending but I suppose that is just the lead into the final chapter in trilogy. Harry and Jenny are both likable but neither have issues skirting the laws when it suits them.
Chee Chee
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A sequel that’s better than the first. Now, onto book three!
Mark Wilson
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic Australian thriller. It's also a treat to read a novel set in my home town. I really, thoroughly enjoyed this and am now eager to read the next instalment in the trilogy. Great stuff!
Noreen
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Still a good yarn, fast paced and an easy, quick read.
Karen
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Apart from Harry having nine lives this has still been an enjoyable read. The action and suspense are consistent, and I was blindsided by naivety in this one. Bring on "Slaughter Park".
Pat Kidd
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prefer Brock & Kolla. Can't quite figure what's what with this new character. Much "darker" than the Brock & Kolla series.
Corinne Johnston
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this quite violent, not my usual choice of novel but the characters and storyline make up for the bloodshed! I wasn't happy with the ending so am now hitting #3 and final in this series.
Madalene
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Agree with Simona, can’t wait for the next book!

• Under the Cold Bright Lights
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • Quota
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • On the Blue Train
  • Marlborough Man
  • An Iron Rose
  • A Fence Around The Cuckoo
  • The Brush Off (Murray Whelan, #2)
  • The Holiday Murders (Holiday Murders, #1)
  • Blackwattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Murder, Mayhem & Men On Pause
  • Greenlight
Barry Maitland is the author of the acclaimed Brock and Kolla series of crime mystery novels, which are set in London, where Barry grew up after his family moved there.

His books have been described as whydunits as much as whodunits, concerned with the devious histories and motivations of their characters. Barry's background in architecture drew him to the structured character of the mystery novel,

The Belltree Trilogy (3 books)
  • Crucifixion Creek (The Belltree Trilogy, #1)
  • Slaughter Park (The Belltree Trilogy, #3)