Start by marking “Corroded Thorns” as Want to Read:
Corroded Thorns

Corroded Thorns

A fairy godmother—in prison? Madeline can’t remember even being a fairy godmother, let alone doing something bad enough to land her in a cell. When a mysterious lady sends her back to her old village with cryptic instructions and no answers to her many questions, Madeline must find a way to free her father, who has been imprisoned in a tower by a terrible beast.

First bani
Published July 13th 2015 by Emma Clifton (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Corroded Thorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corroded Thorns

H.S.J. Williams
First off, this story is for those who have read BROKEN GLASS, Emma Clifton's novella in the FIVE GLASS SLIPPERS anthology. Haven't read it? Go read it.

Now assuming you've read it, you'll be thrilled to know that this tale continues the story of Darcy and Ophelia (though you will first introduced to her here by another name). I must admit, I hadn't thought BROKEN GLASS all that steampunkish when I read it, but that mood is definitely here for our Beast is a--well, he's a type of monster that is
Deborah O'Carroll
As the sequel to BROKEN GLASS (found in the FIVE GLASS SLIPPERS anthology), I was so excited to read CORRODED THORNS to experience the rest of Darcy's story! And boy does it ever not disappoint!

I loved this book so much that I read it twice in one week. I have an occasional urge to do that with other books, but almost never follow through. But this time I just couldn't help myself! Fortunately it's a novella so I was able to read it in a sitting, and it's one of those perfect novellas that feels
Allison Ruvidich
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Emma Clifton first came onto my literary radar with her novella, Broken Glass, which I found adorably, ridiculously fun. It left questions unanswered, though: what happens to the sinister younger prince, Darcy? Or Ophelia, who betrayed the rules she had sworn to follow? Corroded Thorns answers these questions.

My overwhelming impression of this novella is adorableness. The characters are adorable. The plot is adorable. The political espionage is adorable, but probably only because the characters
Ghost Ryter
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Corroded Thorns is a sequel to the novella Broken Glass. If you haven't read that yet, you must! It tied for my favorite story out of the Five Glass Slipper anthology which it featured in, and Corroded Thorns won't be as enjoyable (or make as much sense) if unless you've read that.

This story was so much fun! I love Emma Clifton's writing style. She did a great job retelling the Beauty and the Beast story into a steampunky setting, and the twists on the familiar old elements were so clever!

I enj
Stargazer R. L.
DARCY.

AND NILES!!!

That's all that needs saying.
Clara Thompson
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely L-O-V-E-D Broken Glass in the Five Glass Slippers Anthology, so when I heard that Emma Clifton was writing a sequel--a sequel starring my two favorite characters (and based off of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, no less!) I knew I had to read it!

It delivered. Corroded Thorns brought a fresh, oh-so-clever look at the Beauty and the Beast story we're familiar with. Was it one of the best things I've ever read? Probably not, but it CERTAINLY was great fun, and is best read on a dreary afternoon
Emily Chapman
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The characters are back, along with a whole slew of sparkling new personalities.

It's no secret that I am a fan of the prequel, BROKEN GLASS. So when CORRODED THORNS was announced, I was unquestionably excited.

The story does not disappoint. A deeper, darker magic than that of the prequel makes its grand entrance into this story, along with all of the goodies called love and betrayal and greed and hope. A conniving queen, a confused and rejected village girl, and the greed of a broken prince coll
Savannah Jezowski
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short and sweet read

What's not to like about fairy godmothers and sprites and cursed automotons? I found the plot very intriguing and enjoyable. I only wish the story had been a full length novel so that we could have dived more deeply into Darcy's transformation from despicable villain to romantic hero!! And such a beautiful cover!
Jack Baillot
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this book as a read and review request. I read the prequel story, Broken Glass, in the Five Glass Slippers book and I really enjoyed it. This novella continues the story of Prince Darcy, who was banished in the first story and then cursed to become a beast. (Now you know what this story is about, right?)

Bitter and angry over his curse, Darcy is determined to make Madeline, the fairy godmother who cursed him, pay. His biggest problem is deciding how, and until he can do that
Rina
Mar 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
I was just rereading parts of Broken Glass and was really hoping the next story was out! Can't wait for June!
Tammra
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good short story. I did not know it at the time when I got it that it was a short story but it was good. I wish it had been a full length novel so it could fill in some blanks, expand upon other things and tell more back story.
Allison Tebo
Oh Emma Clifton, how wonderfully you write! I first discovered Ms. Clifton when reading Five Glass Slippers and was completely captivated, but also distraught at finding that Broken Glass ended in a cliff hanger. At first I thought it was just one of those endings where the authoress deliberately leave everything open (I suppose they're trying to be artistic, but these people just frustrate me) but no....oh happy day, Emma Clifton is not one of these authors. I was thrilled to find that she did ...more
E.F.B.
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Corroded Thorns is Beauty and the Beast retelling and a continuation of the stories of Prince Darcy and Ophelia, characters whom we first met in “Broken Glass” from the “Five Glass Slippers” story collection.

I enjoyed this story for the most part. It was fun to see what happened to Darcy, Ophelia, and some of the other characters from “Broken Glass”, and see Emma Clifton’s wonderful imagination and sense of humor on display again.

However, I do feel the story was a bit short, and that there wer
Kori Johnson
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hannah
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, meh-3-star
An enjoyable quick read, but not nearly as good as the preceding story BROKEN GLASS which was a Cinderella story full of delightful characters, great twists, and charming humor. The sequel, a Beauty and the Beast story, was in a word cute. She could have taken time to show our beast's heart change and the relationship development, but in how short it was, Emma Clifton did pretty well.
Grace
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely sequel

I greatly enjoyed "Broken Glass", the prequel to this story. And I was delighted to find in the epilogue that Darcy's story would be continued and he would be redeemed. I enjoyed both books greatly and feel satisfied.
Booknerd
Jun 22, 2015
JMS
Sep 22, 2015
Alison
rated it did not like it
Nov 06, 2015
Hayden
Mar 16, 2015
Daniela Valencia
Apr 15, 2016
Emma Clifton has been thinking up stories before she knew how to type them out. Reading books such as the Chronicles of Narnia and the Door Within Trilogy inspired her to take her writing more seriously. Nowadays she draws inspiration from a wide variety of genres, from period dramas to super hero movies. Though her rigorous homeschool education keeps her busy, she also enjoys sewing, reading, and ...more
“Painful sunlight spilled into Darcy’s bedroom. He groaned and buried his head beneath his pillow.

“Good morning, Master Darcy,” called Niles’s cheerful voice. “Nice day out; just a few clouds. Might have some rain later today. What would you like for your breakfast?”

“Darkness,” Darcy growled into his pillow. “And more sleep.”

Niles clicked his tongue and walked over to his master’s bed. “You’ve got a town to rule and a castle to mope around. And it’s a bright, beautiful day!”
2 likes