Start by marking “Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)” as Want to Read:
Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)

Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)

2015 Gelett Burgess Children's Book Award Winner

In the fairy tale realm of Arilland, stories are told at children's bedsides--and not the stories you think you know.

Tales of Arilland is a collection of fairy tales, presented in the magical topsy-turvy way that only Alethea Kontis can do. Discover the story of Bluebeard's first wife ("Blood From Stone"), what really happene
Published July 2015 by Alethea Kontis (first published June 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Arilland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Arilland

Rachel Joy
Oct 24, 2016 Rachel Joy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-owned-series
Wow, what a good read!

This is a collection of short stories that includes some of the characters from the Woodcutter Sisters series. Also, there are beautifully dark renditions of the Little Mermaid and Snow White that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Kontis has a way of artfully weaving different fairy tale stories and characters into new versions of themselves, and in my opinion, better versions of themselves.
Lucinda Rose
Each story is another reason to love Alethea Kontis. I really love her storytelling style and can't wait to share this book with my students. I really appreciated the spoiler alert on the last chapter. Now all I want to do is send good writing vibes her way for the next book.
Melanie
Mar 01, 2016 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
I'm glad I was warned before I started reading this that it was darker. A couple of the stories in the beginning were weird and well, dark. My least favorite story was "Blood and Water," which was about a siren who was raped and then started killing men. There were other dark ones and, even though I didn't like the subject matter, they're still well written. There were also stories about unicorns, wolves, mermaids and Jack Woodcutter.

I loved the stories that were told towards the end of the book
Jasmyn
I was a bit disappointed in this edition in the world of Arilland. The short fairy tales were a lot of fun, I especially enjoyed the story Blood and Water, but it just wasn't what I had expected from the series. Many of the stories were just a couple pages long, which I know is true of some tales, but they just didn't seem to have anything to them.

On top of that, half the book is the novella that was turned into the book Enchanted, so I really felt like I was reading the book all over again - on
Deborah Blake
Jun 24, 2016 Deborah Blake rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I immediately went out and bought everything else Alethea Kontis has written. Her twist on fairy tales is completely original and totally enchanting. She's a must buy for me from now on.
Emily
Tales of Arilland is a collection of short fairy tale retellings centered in the story world of the Woodcutter Sisters Series by Alethea Kontis. There are several independent stories, such as the retelling of “Red Riding Hood,” the original novella of Enchanted, and the same novella told from Prince Rumbold’s point of view.

Tales of Arilland was full of dark magic. The books in the Woodcutter Sisters Series had a good deal of it as well, but these Tales had a bit more. Who knew The Little Mermai
Kimberly Gordon
Sep 12, 2016 Kimberly Gordon rated it did not like it
I made it to page 76 and had to stop. I am so disappointed at the dark, disgusting tales Kontis has written here. I read her first three books, when she was with a publishing company, and they're easily some of my favorite fairy tales. But now that she's out publishing on her own, her writing style and stories are atrocious. Pretty certain I won't be reading any more of her books unless she goes back to writing the way they were before.
Beth
Jan 20, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
After reading Trixter, I was craving more from the magical kingdoms Alethea Kontis is so good at carving out. Tales of Arilland absolutely satisfied that craving. It's a short collection of fairytale retellings all based in that world, utilizing the same sleight of hand at combining our known folklore and turning it on its head. Because so many of the big fairytales (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rose Red, Cinderella, etc.) are covered in the Woodcutter Sisters books, the ones here are much more ...more
Sydney
Apr 05, 2016 Sydney rated it really liked it
Another fantasy, fairytale re-telling by Alethea Kontis is her Tales of Arilland. Although a bit more on the darker side of fantasy, Alethea captures readers with her combination and mixture of several popular fairytales within her story. This adventure story will intrigue readers as they delve into this magical novel. Although this story has a great plot line, I was disappointed to discover sexual content in a novel for such young readers. I would recommend this novel to readers that enjoy fant ...more
Claire
Nov 13, 2015 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas, read-2015
This collection has many little treasures in it. Hints from the Woodcutter series and sisters. (view spoiler). We get some background on Rumbold from Enchanted, I love that he thinks his mother smells like purple. Plus we got the coveted Chapter 20 from Dearest. I am never going to know what happens to the Woodcutter Family am I?

But this collection also has some gems that are not Woodcutter related. The Unicorn Hunter and Blood and Water are cer
Luna
Sep 19, 2016 Luna rated it really liked it
This book is a short story collection with which takes you back to the much-loved world of Arilland. If you’ve read any of Alethea Kontis’s previous books in the series you know the treat you’re in for. If unfamiliar with Alethea Kontis magical storytelling, well then this book gives you a little taster. Either way, you’ll be happy.

Personally I loved The Little Mermaid retelling best but each story is a great read. It’s not just The Little Mermaid that unique tale, Snow White and Little Red Ridi
Kate
Feb 12, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok
The other Kontis book I read I enjoyed. This one not so much.
Two of the stories were Ok, but the others were too dark for me. I'm a big fan of fairy tales and mythology, but vampiric child killers and rape are not what I expected to find in a book like this, in my opinion that borders on horror. Some were just confusing and a bit weird.
If you like your fairy tales as dark as a witches broom closet, then maybe you'd have given this book more stars, the two I gave it were for the two stories about
Diana
Sep 11, 2016 Diana rated it liked it
A collection of fairy tales and stories taking place within Arilland and as they might have been told in Arilland.

These stories are definitely not your typical tales, although some take elements from classic tales, such as Snow White and The Little Mermaid. Some are more in-depth and interesting than others, and not all are happy endings.
Leslie Rosenberg
It was ok..

Ok, this one was not nearly as good as the other books. Interesting with the different fairy tales and their not so happy endings some of them, but I just wasn't enthused by it. I liked the parts about is it Friday's prince...Rumbold? And the last one that connects with what's going on in Trix's quests. The other ones can be missed.
Jessie
Feb 12, 2016 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I'll finish this one. Some of the stories are just plain weird. After reading a story of a siren who is raped, and who kills humans, much like a vampire, including a little girl, I became pretty turned off to the whole book.
Barry Simiana
Jun 28, 2015 Barry Simiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great set of stories that mark history of the Arilland fables (Enchanted, Hero, Dearest) and fill in some of the blanks as well as some stories a little edgier but still well within the realm. Seriously Marina, you Neeed to read this stuff.

As always, excellent.
Sara
Apr 11, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Most of these fairy tales were pretty dark. The ones I liked best were straight out of the series, maybe extended versions of scenes I'd already read.
Jolie
Jun 19, 2016 Jolie rated it liked it
Interesting stories...modified versions of tales we think we know. I may need to read more by this author...
Meg
Aug 10, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing
I want to find more of Althea's work; this was so good. If the Grimm Brothers dealt with modern topics with this macabre grace in the fantasy setting they'd be the Tales of Arilland!
Jacki & Chuck Picco
Jacki & Chuck Picco rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Tiffanie Holton
Tiffanie Holton rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Erika Meyer
Erika Meyer rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Lisa Heins Vincent
Lisa Heins Vincent rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Cat
Cat rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Keiran Courville
Keiran Courville rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Naath
Naath rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Rapunzel (Faerie Tale Collection, #10)
  • Kin (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #3)
  • Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales
  • The Reflections of Queen Snow White
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Dark Magic
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • Dark Carnival (Serenity Falls, #3)
  • The White Swan (Enchanted Fairytales, #5)
  • Threads of Gold (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #6)
  • Daughter of Necessity
  • Through a Tangled Wood
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Ellen Oh, author of Prophecy

"Alethea Kontis, the woman who writes li
More about Alethea Kontis...

Books of Arilland (7 books)
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)
  • Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2; Books of Arilland #2)
  • Trixter (The Trix Adventures #1; Books of Arilland #3)
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • Trix and the Faerie Queen (The Trix Adventures #2; Books of Arilland #6)
  • Thieftess (Woodcutter Sisters #4; Books of Arilland #7)