Start by marking “Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)” as Want to Read:
Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)

Tales of Arilland

(Books of Arilland #5)

2015 Gelett Burgess Children's Book Award Winner

In the fairy tale realm of Arilland, stories are told at children's bedsides--and not the stories you think you know.

Tales of Arilland is a collection of fairy tales, presented in the magical topsy-turvy way that only Alethea Kontis can do. Discover the story of Bluebeard's first wife ("Blood From Stone"), what really happene
Published July 2015 by Alethea Kontis (first published June 10th 2015)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy BlumeThe Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
Tales - Titles
384 books — 17 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenForbidden by Tabitha SuzumaWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Tragic Romances
117 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)
Rachel Joy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a good read!

This is a collection of short stories that includes some of the characters from the Woodcutter Sisters series. Also, there are beautifully dark renditions of the Little Mermaid and Snow White that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Kontis has a way of artfully weaving different fairy tale stories and characters into new versions of themselves, and in my opinion, better versions of themselves.
Melanie
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
I'm glad I was warned before I started reading this that it was darker. A couple of the stories in the beginning were weird and well, dark. My least favorite story was "Blood and Water," which was about a siren who was raped and then started killing men. There were other dark ones and, even though I didn't like the subject matter, they're still well written. There were also stories about unicorns, wolves, mermaids and Jack Woodcutter.

I loved the stories that were told towards the end of the book
Jasmyn
I was a bit disappointed in this edition in the world of Arilland. The short fairy tales were a lot of fun, I especially enjoyed the story Blood and Water, but it just wasn't what I had expected from the series. Many of the stories were just a couple pages long, which I know is true of some tales, but they just didn't seem to have anything to them.

On top of that, half the book is the novella that was turned into the book Enchanted, so I really felt like I was reading the book all over again - on
Lucinda Rose
Each story is another reason to love Alethea Kontis. I really love her storytelling style and can't wait to share this book with my students. I really appreciated the spoiler alert on the last chapter. Now all I want to do is send good writing vibes her way for the next book.
Gretchen Riverstone
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you mix the dreamy voice of Gabrielle Baker and the Brilliant quit witted and amusing writings of Alethea Kontis? THIS.. this Audio book. This is a MUST read/listen. I am an Audio Book Judge and have been for 12 plus years and I know good quality Audio books.. and this is one to add to your collection.
A wonderful take on Fairy Tales, these are NOT the tales from your childhood, but deeper darker tales to tell for more mature readers.
Dragons: Check
Unicorns: Check
Demons: Check
Deborah Blake
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I immediately went out and bought everything else Alethea Kontis has written. Her twist on fairy tales is completely original and totally enchanting. She's a must buy for me from now on.
Barry Simiana
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great set of stories that mark history of the Arilland fables (Enchanted, Hero, Dearest) and fill in some of the blanks as well as some stories a little edgier but still well within the realm. Seriously Marina, you Neeed to read this stuff.

As always, excellent.
Quinn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Decently written and mildly interesting. Though the two standout stories were Blood and Water and Well-Behaved Mermaids Rarely Make Fairy Tales, with an honourable mention to Sunday.

I know I've previously said that I'm over re-tellings of the Little Mermaid, but both Blood and Water and Well-Behaved Mermaids Rarely Make Fairy Tales really twisted the original story and made it their own; the Well-Behaved Mermaids Rarely Make Fairy Tales actually tickled me pink.
Misti
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories set in the same world as the author's full-length novels. Most stand alone, though the last few involve characters and events from the Woodcutter Sisters series. Several of the stories were a lot darker than I was expecting. This wasn't a terrible read, but I don't feel that I got much out of it. Probably best read just after finishing Dearest, when you want to read more in that world. I would have enjoyed it more if the events of that book had been fresh in my mind ...more
Lisa
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I normally eschew short stories, but I made an exception for this montage of alternatingly macabre and slightly more standard fairy tale fare. It included pieces akin to quick figure drawing sketches and then fully fleshed-out, nuanced stories. I think my favorite was an excised chapter from Friday's story that foreshadowed Trix's adventure.
Rhiannon
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, weird retellings of stories. I enjoyed most of them, although some of them were a little out there for me.
Jessie Pearce
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These were such unique fairytales and I didn’t know how much I really wanted them! Wow, they were so good! I especially loved the Snow White and siren one!
Kristy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a little dark at times and the last bits about Rumblold jumped around too much for my taste. I do like different twists on fairy tales though, so this was an interesting read.
Carla
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Written well, but most of the stories have much darker themes & elements than the other books in the Tales of Arilland series. Reminiscent of Grimm's fairy tales. ...more
Becca
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults
*This is a review for the audiobook version of this story*

Overall: 4 Stars (I really liked it)
Story: 4 Stars (I really liked it)
Performance: 5 Stars (It was amazing)

Tales of Arilland is a collection of fairy tales set in the universe of Alethea Kontis' Arilland series and it is the first book by this author that I have partaken. I listened to it in audiobook form and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed these tales!

I believe there were 8 more "traditional" fairytales (traditional meaning that
Emily
Tales of Arilland is a collection of short fairy tale retellings centered in the story world of the Woodcutter Sisters Series by Alethea Kontis. There are several independent stories, such as the retelling of “Red Riding Hood,” the original novella of Enchanted, and the same novella told from Prince Rumbold’s point of view.

Tales of Arilland was full of dark magic. The books in the Woodcutter Sisters Series had a good deal of it as well, but these Tales had a bit more. Who knew The Little Mermai
Beth
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading Trixter, I was craving more from the magical kingdoms Alethea Kontis is so good at carving out. Tales of Arilland absolutely satisfied that craving. It's a short collection of fairytale retellings all based in that world, utilizing the same sleight of hand at combining our known folklore and turning it on its head. Because so many of the big fairytales (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rose Red, Cinderella, etc.) are covered in the Woodcutter Sisters books, the ones here are much more ...more
Sydney
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fantasy, fairytale re-telling by Alethea Kontis is her Tales of Arilland. Although a bit more on the darker side of fantasy, Alethea captures readers with her combination and mixture of several popular fairytales within her story. This adventure story will intrigue readers as they delve into this magical novel. Although this story has a great plot line, I was disappointed to discover sexual content in a novel for such young readers. I would recommend this novel to readers that enjoy fant ...more
Claire
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas, read-2015
This collection has many little treasures in it. Hints from the Woodcutter series and sisters. (view spoiler). We get some background on Rumbold from Enchanted, I love that he thinks his mother smells like purple. Plus we got the coveted Chapter 20 from Dearest. I am never going to know what happens to the Woodcutter Family am I?

But this collection also has some gems that are not Woodcutter related. The Unicorn Hunter and Blood and Water are cer
Alexis Drake
Mi è stato spedito gratuitamente, senza sapere che fosse il quinto di una serie. Nonostante ciò, essendo dei racconti, alcuni dei quali retelling di favole famose, l'ho apprezzato molto.
Il primo dei racconti "The unicorn hunter" merita da solo 5 stelline. Ho abbassato il voto perchè un paio dei successivi racconti non mi sono piaciuti tanto quanto il primo, ma merita una menzione d'onore anche "well behaved mermaids rarely make fairy tales".
The unicorn hunter ha tutto quello che cerco in un racc
Luna
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a short story collection with which takes you back to the much-loved world of Arilland. If you’ve read any of Alethea Kontis’s previous books in the series you know the treat you’re in for. If unfamiliar with Alethea Kontis magical storytelling, well then this book gives you a little taster. Either way, you’ll be happy.

Personally I loved The Little Mermaid retelling best but each story is a great read. It’s not just The Little Mermaid that unique tale, Snow White and Little Red Ridi
Kate
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
The other Kontis book I read I enjoyed. This one not so much.
Two of the stories were Ok, but the others were too dark for me. I'm a big fan of fairy tales and mythology, but vampiric child killers and rape are not what I expected to find in a book like this, in my opinion that borders on horror. Some were just confusing and a bit weird.
If you like your fairy tales as dark as a witches broom closet, then maybe you'd have given this book more stars, the two I gave it were for the two stories about
Breanna
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This starts as a mish mash of stories, some of which are interesting and some of which are a bit creepy. None of the stories at the beginning seem to fit together. Then, the novel starts focusing on a specific family but seems to jump all over their timeline.

I guess reading the other books in the series may have helped but this one was offered free and seemed interesting so I thought I would give it a try. I feel like each book in a series should be able to standalone, though. Obviously there w
Timothy Skilton
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about this book. I've really enjoyed all of the previous tales and I really like this author and what she has dreamed up. But this book was just a little harder to get into and didn't hold me as tightly as the earlier works. I still enjoyed it, and it stitched a few things together, and had a lovely darker undercurrent in places, too. I will still be looking for her next tale. Maybe I expected too much.
Stefanie
I read the first story as a sample and was pretty much convinced to purchase the book based on the strength of that alone. The short stories in here are mostly pretty dark, capturing the tone of original fairy tales. But not overwhelmingly so. The author is clearly a skilled storyteller. I also loved that several tales connected within stories in unexpected and delightful ways. I haven't read any of her other books set in Arilland; now I'm inclined to.
Kimberly Gordon
Sep 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I made it to page 76 and had to stop. I am so disappointed at the dark, disgusting tales Kontis has written here. I read her first three books, when she was with a publishing company, and they're easily some of my favorite fairy tales. But now that she's out publishing on her own, her writing style and stories are atrocious. Pretty certain I won't be reading any more of her books unless she goes back to writing the way they were before.
Diana
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of fairy tales and stories taking place within Arilland and as they might have been told in Arilland.

These stories are definitely not your typical tales, although some take elements from classic tales, such as Snow White and The Little Mermaid. Some are more in-depth and interesting than others, and not all are happy endings.
Leslie Rosenberg
It was ok..

Ok, this one was not nearly as good as the other books. Interesting with the different fairy tales and their not so happy endings some of them, but I just wasn't enthused by it. I liked the parts about is it Friday's prince...Rumbold? And the last one that connects with what's going on in Trix's quests. The other ones can be missed.
Jessie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I'll finish this one. Some of the stories are just plain weird. After reading a story of a siren who is raped, and who kills humans, much like a vampire, including a little girl, I became pretty turned off to the whole book.
Miranda
I could have done without the random retellings with mermaids. The stories with characters from Arilland are the strongest and most enjoyable.

• The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • Reflection
  • Battle Magic (Circle Reforged, #3)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • Ordinary Girls
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • Towering
  • Soul of Stars (Heart of Iron, #2)
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies
  • The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • Once Upon a Prince (Royal Wedding, #1)
  • Jingle Me Balls (Sea Shenanigans #6)
  • Longing
  • Dakonian Alien Mail Order Brides Boxed Set Vol. 1 (Dakonian Alien Mail Order Brides #1-3)
  • Sixx (Dakonian Alien Mail Order Brides #4)
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"The faerie princess of the worlds of weird." --Jonathan Maberry

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Elle

Books of Arilland (10 books)
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)
  • Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2; Books of Arilland #2)
  • Trixter (The Trix Adventures #1; Books of Arilland #3)
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • Trix and the Faerie Queen (The Trix Adventures #2; Books of Arilland #6)
  • Thieftess (Woodcutter Sisters, #4; Books of Arilland, #7)
  • Fated (Woodcutter Sisters #5; Books of Arilland #8)
  • The Glass Mountain: A Tale of Arilland (Fairy Tales of Arilland Book 1)
  • The Unicorn Hunter: A Tale of Arilland (Fairy Tales of Arilland Book 2)

News & Interviews