Start by marking “Right Back Where (Welcome to Alvarado Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Right Back Where (Welcome to Alvarado Book 1)

Right Back Where

(Welcome to Alvarado #1)

Sometimes moving forward means going right back where you started...

Sam's ended up right back where he started - the small Texas town he swore he'd never step foot in again after making fast tracks to SMU. He's not the young, gay kid he was when he left. He has a music degree now, with no job and is about to lose his dorm room...

When an old friend has him coming back to
Published September 1st 2015 by Tracing The Stars (first published July 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Right Back Where, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right Back Where

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Right from the first page, I found the present-tense, first-person narrative jarring. The writing is an odd combination of chatty and awkward. I couldn't ever sink into the story because I was so aware of the prose.

I noticed Kilgore overuses the passive voice; when the MCs have sex for the first time, Sam thinks: Each lap of my tongue is savored until my patience runs thin.

Wait, what? Keep in mind that Sam is the one doing the licking.

I wish I could say the story was good enough to overlook t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*1.5 stars*

When I first starting reading this, I was like, "What is everyone complaining about? This book is adorable!" Sure, the first-person, present-tense style was like a freaking needle in the eye, but I was digging the MC and the whole enemies-to-lovers theme. I was willing to put aside editing errors (there are many) and clumsy writing for the overall cuteness of the story.

Then, it got ugly.

At the halfway point of the story, things take a complete swan-dive to suck-ville. I HATE insta-lov
Nathan Burgoine
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
This popped up as a freebie, and I like second-chance romances, and I'd not read this author before, so I gave it a shot. I honestly wish I hadn't, and only finished it to make sure I got the full picture. I'm not sure where to take this review, but I do know where to start: if you are a queer person who has ever been assaulted, or a survivor of parental abuse, do not read this book.

I ended up so angry after reading this book, still days later, that I wrote a blog post, "I Shouldn't Have to Tel
Line
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am so sooo happy I got this for free at Amazon! I have started reading it a few times, but gave up, because I thought the insta-lust/love was annoying as all get out! Finally I thought, I'm going to give it a real go... Wauw, I want those hours back!!!!

This book contained my WORST pet-peeves; RIDICULOUS forgiveness for years of bullying, emotionel torture and being an accomplice (sort of) in a horrible beating. And that was just Sam forgiving Cody! Then there's Sam forgiving his piece-of-shit-
Idamus
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
The only good thing I can say about this book, is that it was free.
Manfred
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam returns to his hometown to visit his old music teacher, who not only made him love and study music but also give him food and shelter when his dad was too drunk to provide either.
Cody is her son and Sam remembers him as an old bully and sworn enemy.
However, upon arrival Mrs. Greene is dead and everything else doesn`t really seem how Sam remembers it.
I was very hesitant about this story because some of the reviews are really terrible. Still, when I started it, I found the book quite okay. I d
Bitchie
Enemies to lovers! I love a good enemies to lovers story, especially when there is so much history between the two, in this case, going back to first grade. Cody and Sam grew up together, with Cody's mom kind of picking up for Sam's mom after she died. It's Cody's mom, Rosie, that brings Sam back to the town he ran from five years ago, after a horrific beating, only to find out he's a day too late, and she's gone.

A clause in Rosie's will throws our boys together for eight days. I think Rosie kne
Aerin
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, m-m
2.5 stars rounded down (you'll see why at the end on my review)

I struggled to find the right rating for this book, because it wasn't exactly bad, but it was far from great. In fact, some parts were almost good, while other were full of "WTF" moments.

One thing about this book I loved was the theme...I'm a sucker for friends-to-lovers or enemies-to-lovers books, so this one was right up my alley. Sam is a music graduate who returns to his home town to visit his old music teacher; she's been like a
Joyfully Jay
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

I absolutely loved this book! There is something about going back to where one started and realizing that sometimes the way we remember things isn’t always exactly as they happened. For Sam, five years of being at school had convinced him that there was nothing and nobody back home for him. Except once he steps foot back in town, he begins to realize that there were people still back there who have been eagerly following any news about him. People he forgot about
JR
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting a sweet story

After the death of his beloved music teacher and surrogate mother, Sam Garrett is right back in the small Texas town, he thought he would never see again. Sam left after a horrific incident that left him physically and mentally broken. Now he must face old ghosts, and his teacher's son Cody Greene. In Sam's mind Cody is the root of all evils that befell him in school. Sam just has to survive the funeral, then get the hell out of town.

This story spends a lot of time in San's head, goi
Arzu
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 stars
Steven
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texas
The first half of this was engaging. There are obviously dark issues in both main characters pasts preventing them from moving forward with their lives.

Then at almost the 50% mark the "I love yous" start and never end. The second half of the book is completely incongruous with the first half and incredibly frustrating. Almost as if this was written by two different authors with two completely outlines.

A shame, as it started with such promise.

3 stars for the first 50%
Chris
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so this book has copped some bad raps - but for me, I enjoyed it. I liked that Sam & Cody repaired the damage and I really liked the supportive characters in town. While there was a pretty quick turn around from hate to love, the message of acceptance, forgiveness and moving forward was heart warming. This is simply a sweet romance ❤ ...more
Coco.V
Jul 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/4/2019)! 🎁
Shannon
I thought this was a really sweet, heartfelt story.

Same returns to his hometown, intent on only one thing- seeing his old music teacher before she passes away. Unfortunately things don't quite go the way he planned and he gets much more than he bargained for when he rolls back into town. He learns things weren't what he always thought they were, and he's in for some real surprises and revelations...if he's willing to stick around and listen.

Right Back Where is a story of hope, redemption, forgi
Chappy
There was a bit too much enemy to insta-love here for me to really enjoy this book.

Everything just felt a little too perfect. The premise of Cody's mom fixing her will that way was not very plausible. I'm sure Cody could have found a way to let Sam know how he felt...

The ending was quite abrupt...not sure if I'll keep going with this series.
Juxian
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
1,5 stars, and after I've read ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~'s review, I don't think I can or want to add anything about this book.
Sylvia
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it

Yeah um I liked reading some of it…
I had a whole lot of WTF?? with the rest of the story.

But I will definitely read Ricky’s story!
Tristan
2.5-3/5

This book showed some potentials in the first 50% despite some plot inconsistency, (view spoiler) However, it was the last 30% that the book completely fell apart imo. Sam jumped on a forgiving train that run over everyone, from alcoholic dad, hateful town, Cod
Kiki Clark
**Originally posted on Kiki's Kinky Picks**

Right Back Where by C.E. Kilgore was such an adorable book! High in emotions and humor, I was left satisfied and craving more. The first book in C.E.’s Welcome to Alvarado series, I can’t wait to get my hands on the next one.

There was a bit of emotional whiplash in the beginning. Sam can’t decide how he feels about Cody or the town in general. First he hates him, then he decides to be nice to him, then he is going to be mean to him, and then there’s lov
Kristina
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Ah, my sweet, funny, stubborn Sam.
This story engaged all my emotions and gave me everything I love, with a captivating, emotional, sexy-steamy story. Some serious and painful things are dealt with as Sam's present shoves him into facing his past, but with such wonderful dry wit and humor, I couldn't help but experience the story rather than just read it.
Many characters, not just Sam, experience growth and opportunities to right some wrongs. The secondary characters are absolutely fantastic, an
Nat ReadingAllNite
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I really liked this one

Some spoilers ahead.

This was really a good story. It was also clear and well written and if there were editing errors, I didn't notice them. I had a couple of little niggles about the pacing. Some of Sam's reversals of attitude seemed to come too quickly, especially his forgiveness of his attacker and Cody's part in it. The attack on his friend Ricky was difficult to read, too. Ricky was a great example of the character building skill of this author. He was only on page b
Sarah_loves_books
Mar 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNFed at 84%.

It was not totally bad. I'm sure the writer had a good intention of writing a moving story that had forgiving and healing as themes. It didn't work. Not for me.

When I think about the story in more depth, I must agree with this review (I hope the reviewer won't mind me giving the link, that's such a good review): https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I hate to give the book only one star, the writing was good after all, and there were good scenes, too. But as a whole, it didn't wor
LunalandBooks
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!!!

I thought the characters were so adorable and i had to keep pinching myself because i got completely caught up in their story. Dear Dear Sam is such a pleasure to read and my heart broke for what he had been through but also the amazing way he doesn't give up and fights for what he wants. He is so forgiving and so loving i can't wait to see what happens next and I am so excited by this wonderful new author.
Karla
I enjoyed some tension between the two main characters at the beginning of the story. However that evaporates when, half way through, Sam has an epiphany that he loves Cody. Too sudden and very unbelievable.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Note to self: 1st person present tense--BLECH!!!!
Neil Plakcy
Way too angsty for me -- I was looking for something light with sexy cowboys, not the horror in here. A very sad and disturbing read.
Terry
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
There seems to be quite a few less than complimentary reviews of this book and yes it is not perfect but it is nowhere near as bad as indicated. Yes it is an enemies to lovers story and yes the first flaw is the sudden switch from one to the other, with a more experienced author or under the guidance of a good editor this would have not been a problem I am sure. The writing is competent and overall an easy read with characters reasonably well drawn and the motives for what happening five years p ...more
Denise
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019, own
So... let me get this straight, pun not intended: The gay-bashing bully who put the protagonist in the hospital really was just misguidedly lashing out because he was gay himself, so cue instantaneous unquestioning forgiveness upon learning this fact? The abusive alcoholic asshole dad had his come-to-Jesus moment and offers a weak kinda-sorta-apology, so let's have more unconditional forgiveness? And then there's the instalove "romance" at the heart of this story which goes something like this: ...more
Sara
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is entertaining enough if you want some easy reading with a fairly predictable plot and a guaranteed HEA. I liked it well enough but it's not something I think I'll ever revisit or bother continuing with the series. The plot with the two former school enemies being forced to live together because of a last will and testament felt constructed, just like the resolving of their issues, the way the protagonist gets his job and the set up for the next book. The story lacks a natural flow an ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• King of Snowflakes (West Coast Boys, #1)
  • The Dead (The Thaumaturge #1)
  • Fit for the Job
  • Shadows Fall
  • Cold Moon (Moon, #3)
  • Five Ways a Boy Can Break Your Heart
  • Taking a Chance (Restoration, #3)
  • Fated: Blood and Redemption (Baal's Heart, #3)
  • Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Three
  • Bad Magic (Spell Slave, #1)
  • The Station
  • I Hate Summer
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Jurassic Heart
  • Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Four
  • Sam and Derek: The Whole Story (Sam's Reluctant Submission, #1-4)
  • The Beauty's Brother
C.E. Kilgore (1981 - ) is an author without genre, who likes to dabble in several genres from romance to science fiction. She also enjoys pushing the boundaries of those genres, trying new things, venturing outside formulas and turning tropes on their heads. Admittedly a control freak, she is currently a self-published author under the name Tracing The Stars, and hasn't quite found the publisher w ...more

Welcome to Alvarado (3 books)
  • Unwelcome Home (Welcome to Alvarado, #2)
  • In The Wind (Welcome to Alvarado #3)